Running Partners or More?

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I thought you were going to tell Jim that you didn't date doctors- I'm surprised you let him believe we were married!" Dominic enquired. Viv just smiled. She knew she was developing feelings for Dominic, but she also knew he was holding things back and she wondered what he was hiding.

"Rum after work?" Viv enquired.

Dominic explained he had a previous appointment but perhaps Thursday evening might be an opportunity. On Thursday, Viv heard a knock on her door just before 5. She smiled seeing Dominic through her peephole. Leroy also worked out it was his new best friend and came and meowed his biggest meow trying to explain to Dominic he had never been fed.

As they came to the end of their uneventful run Viv told Dominic she would love to invite him in for dinner, but she was leaving early the following morning and needed her beauty sleep. Dominic offered to drive Viv to the airport, but she would not hear of it and again he offered to pop by and feed Leroy.

"I give him plenty of food and clean litter," Viv smiled, "But he has taken a shine to you and if you wanted to pop in and check he has enough food..." Viv explained where the spare key was hidden and the two of them said their farewells.

Lying in bed that night Viv realised that she was going away for four days and had given an almost stranger the location of her spare key to come and snoop around her home when she was gone. She realised she had not even exchanged phone numbers with Dominic. She scrawled a note and stuck it to the fridge, 'Dominic, I forgot to give you my number, it's... Hope Leroy is glad to see you, V x'

Viv was collected from the airport by her parents who had both recently retired. They were thrilled to see their daughter. They had Emma with them who had a day off pre-school and immediately latched onto her favourite Auntie. The day flashed by in a whirlwind and before Viv knew it, it was Saturday Family lunch.

All of Viv's brothers were there with their wives and children. As Viv cleared away dishes with Josh and Karl she felt her phone vibrate in her pocket. She looked and found a text from an unknown number. It contained a picture of Leroy sitting on Dominic's chest as he lay on her couch with the caption 'I'm glad I came to give him more food or else I think I would have been on the menu!'

Viv giggled and both brothers pried for more information. Viv was coy and then asked her brothers "Hey, did either of you study with Dominic West?"

"Mini West!" Karl replied enthusiastically, "Oh man, has he resurfaced after all these years?" Karl explained that Dominic (or Mini as he was nicknamed for his great height!) had indeed been in Karl's year of medicine. He was an amazing student and topped the class for the first three years. He then met Cassie and the two of them fell madly in love. After almost flunking fourth year, Dominic and Cassie became engaged on the proviso he focus more on his studies. Cassie was also a medical student a couple of years under them. She started losing weight, but everyone put it down to stress. She never told anyone about the aches and pains she had been feeling until it was too late. She was diagnosed with cancer and was dead within three months.

Karl went onto explain that Dominic deferred his studies and travelled for a year and then came back more determined than ever and graduated. Josh noted he came across Dominic when the two of them did a rotation together when they were both junior doctors, but he was all about the medicine and did not party or fraternise with anyone.

Things started making sense to Viv. She did not know how to bring this up with Dominic. Before she could think of possibilities Karl called her name and just as he threw washing up bubbles all over his sister, Josh captured the most candid photo on Viv's phone and sent it back to Dominic saying 'Holding our sister captive for the weekend, but so glad you've resurfaced, mate!' and hit send.

Viv was so angry with her brother and scolded him for interfering in her life. Karl put on his psychiatrist hat and probed his sister, "So is he the boyfriend or just the lover?"

"Neither," replied a blushing Viv, "We go running together and besides, I don't date doctors!"

"El-Oh-El" replied Josh, "That's exactly what Mini said when I tried to set him up with any number of our colleagues when we worked together."

Karl tried to probe further and reminded his sister that he would not be married to the beautiful Sasha should she have taken the same stance as his sister.

Alex had tickets for his parents and sister to see him perform with his orchestra that night. It was a great concert and really lifted Viv's spirits. She checked her phone as she was leaving. There was another text from Dominic, 'Hey Viv, I'm sorry if I crossed a line by coming over, but I did want to see Leroy and I'm sorry and hey, I also didn't realise you were part of the famous Drs Coughlan family- please say hi to your brothers from me, oh and your Mum, she is a darling.'

Dr Rebecca Coughlan had been a world-class oncologist before she retired. "Mum, there's a new doctor in town who I've been running with, Dominic West," Vivian started, "and he's found out I'm a Coughlan and he asked me to say hi to you."

Rebecca smiled. She indeed remembered Dominic. She had looked after Cassie as she died and then a few years later Dominic had done a rotation with her. It had been a challenging rotation and in hindsight she wished she had refused to let him work with cancer patients, however she believed it had been a good lesson for Dominic and started to help him grieve his fiancée.

"Oh honey, Dom is one of the finest doctors I have ever met," her mother began, "He went and studied overseas, but I am so glad he's back now. Please send my love?"

As Viv lay in bed, she tried to work out what to text Dominic. She wondered if she was developing feelings for him based on her family's contributions that day or if they had been there since their first run. "Hey D, sorry I've been with my family all day- just back from an amazing concert my brother played in (the other non-doctor of the family!) and I feel like I have met the Dominic West fan club! Your stalking and break-and-enter secrets are still safe with me though! V x' She then followed it up with 'Oh and if Leroy was going to eat you after one day, I hate to think what he'll do to me on my return, please feel free to call by and check on him tomorrow! V x'

Dominic lay in bed and smiled at the texts. He did not want to reply that he lay on Viv's couch and could smell her scent and it made him smile and he had not dared open her bedroom door, despite Leroy sitting at it meowing but replied, V, it's been warm so I was going to water your garden tomorrow anyway lest it end up like my herbs, Dom.' Dominic realised Viv probably knew a lot of his past now and regretted not telling her earlier, but rationalised what was done was done. He thought back to his counsellor's advice from Wednesday evening- 13 years was indeed a long time to grieve and perhaps now it was time to explore possibilities.

Sunday was Auntie-nephew day. Viv always took her three nephews aged 6, 7 and 10 somewhere special. This visit it was the museum and the latest dinosaur exhibit. At 10, Toby tried to pretend he was too old for dinosaurs, but Viv told him he needed him to help control his brother and cousin. Emma complained she was not allowed to go and at 2 and a half, Alex's daughter Grace did not understand the fuss. Viv took the boys for a burger for lunch and all three boys started quizzing their Aunt about why she didn't have any children and how it 'wasn't fair' and they wanted 'Auntie Vivvy cousins too!' Viv smiled and said that she needed to find a father for children first. Toby simply piped up "But Dad told Mum last night that you had a boyfriend!"

Viv explained to her nephews that that wasn't quite true, but when she got a boyfriend, she was sure that they could meet him.

More family time followed that night and Viv used some of the tricks she used on newborns on Grace to get her down. Alex and Jane proudly opened up to the family that indeed their family was growing and they would be welcoming a brother or sister for Grace in several months' time.

"See Auntie Vivvy, Uncle Alex is giving us more cousins!" piped up Toby who was soon shushed by his mother.

Lying in bed Viv checked her phone. There was another message from Dominic 'Strange run today, could not get my rhythm at all- I think I run better with a partner now.'

Viv smiled 'Hey, I've just eaten all weekend so I think I'm going to roll off the plane, but I will need a run Tuesday! V x'

Dominic liked the way Viv signed her messages. He tried not to read into it and assumed it was something she did for everyone, but he was hopeful she might be developing similar feelings to his own.

After work on Monday Dominic stopped by Viv's to feed Leroy and gave him a stroke and tickle then made his way to the airport. He had not arranged to collect Viv, but he wanted to see her, and he knew what time her plane arrived.

Viv spent the Monday with her mother. They looked around nurseries for plants for Rebecca's garden and drank coffee together. Eventually the conversation turned to Dominic. Viv told her mother she thought she was developing feelings for him, but perhaps he was just going to be her running partner.

"Sweetheart, you are unlikely to meet a nicer man than Dominic West, although yes, I admit I still have a soft spot for Andy even after all these years. But honey, give him a go, I can tell you from first-hand experience that doctors are amazing with their knowledge of anatomy..."

Viv laughed and told her mother that that was definitely too much information, however she had heard similar from Sasha! As she waited for her plane, she texted Dominic 'Hey D, thank-you so much for looking out for Leroy and my garden this weekend, I know we are running together Tuesday, but perhaps we could also go to dinner after Pilates on Friday, V x'

Viv had secretly hoped that Dominic would collect her from the airport and as soon as she saw him waiting the ran up and threw her arms around him drawing him in for a hug. Dominic was not expecting this, but he did not complain. Viv collected her bag and then walked to Dominic's car linking her arm in his. On their way to Viv's place Viv explained her family- who was married to whom, who had what child and what they all did.

"Viv, I suspect you've heard all sorts of stories about me and my past this weekend, however I am not looking for pity," Dominic explained, "I have a sister, Wendy, who is younger than me and she's a hairdresser like my Mum. My Dad worked for the railways before he retired. They are good people, but they don't get medicine. When Cassie was sick and died they did not understand and we became distant. I went and studied overseas and did not even come back for Wendy's wedding."

Dominic went on to explain that the longer he stayed away from his family the harder it became to reconnect. When he returned to this country, he tried to move a bit way so he would be far enough away not to bump into them.

Viv and Dominic sat for hours on her couch talking about their pasts. Cassie had been Dominic's second real girlfriend after he found his first in bed with his so-called best friend when they were 18. After Cassie he didn't think he would be able to love again and he thought he would be breaking Cassie's memory if he moved on.

Dominic told of a drunken one-night stand when he was travelling in Europe, but that afterwards he hated himself and vowed to be single. He described on his first day seeing Viv in the theatres. Her smile caught him off guard. He told Viv that he ran behind her that first day for a while and was trying to pluck up the courage to talk to her when she ran the other way and then when he saw her at Pilates he saw it as a sign only to be shut down.

"So why midwifery, why not music or medicine?" Dominic enquired.

"I did think about music, but Alex was studying music and I was sick of being a Coughlan boys' sister. Plus, if I had studied medicine, I would never have been able to go out with you because I understand you don't date doctors!"

Dominic laughed, "When you said that I thought back to me saying that so many times myself. I wanted to open up and tell you about Cassie, but I was just sick of the pity."

Viv understood where Dominic was coming from. "Dominic, even before I went away I was developing feelings for you. I surprised myself telling you where the key was and I signed the note with a 'x' like I do for my family and instead of ripping it up, I left it."

Dominic decided to take a chance. "Viv, I never knew if the 'x' was the kiss or the hug and whilst I enjoyed the hug you gave me at the airport and I'm enjoying this snuggling and hand holding on the couch, would you mind if..."

Viv did not let him finish and leant in and touched her lips to his. It was soft and tender. Leroy startled and jumped off Dominic's lap and Viv took his place. They sat and kissed for what seemed like hours. It was well after midnight when Dominic checked his watch and he knew both he and Viv were due at work in less than 7 hours.

"Viv, I don't want to be a party pooper, and I'm guessing you can feel something pressing against us that tells you what I'd love to do to you right now, but we both have work in the morning and whilst you need none, I need some beauty sleep before I meet my gross gallbladders and appendices in the morning."

Viv had indeed felt an indication of where Dominic wanted to go and wondered if he had felt her erect nipples poking through her dress drilling holes into his chest. "Dom, the feeling is absolutely mutual and if neither of us had to work tomorrow I would be dragging you to my bed right now..."

Neither Viv nor Dominic slept well that night. Both relieved their arousal in their own hands imagining what the other would feel like pressing lips to various parts of each other's bodies.

Viv felt like she was walking on sunshine as she walked into work that Tuesday morning. She smiled at everyone and whilst this was not new, she exuded an air of confidence despite it being the first official day in her new role. She was Team Leader and whilst she had unofficially done this role before, her manager had asked her to check over some rosters and asked for her specific advice on some certain matters.

It was in the theatres however that the staff saw a new Dominic West. He had always had a lovely way with patients but could be gruff with staff. He even overheard two nurses commenting that he 'must have got some last night,' which made him produce an internal smile.

Viv walked in her door after work and the exhaustion hit her. She yawned, sat on her couch and fell asleep. Dominic knocked on the door shortly after 5 and was surprised when there was no answer. He walked around the back and found the spare key. Letting himself in, he smiled when he saw Viv asleep on the couch. She looked so peaceful and he had to stop himself from leaning in and kissing the sleeping beauty.

Instead he gave Leroy some kibble and decided he would run by himself. He found a scrap of paper and penned a brief note 'Sleeping Beauty, I couldn't bring myself to wake you- you look so peaceful lying there. I've gone for a quick run- going to try your route and will call by when I finish. D x'

He left the note on the coffee table tucked under her phone and went running. Viv woke a short time later and grabbed for her phone. She was angry with herself for napping and disappointed she had missed the run. She saw the note from Dominic and smiled. She changed out of her work clothes into some running gear and started in the opposite direction, hoping to catch up with her running partner at least for a short while.

Viv barely made it 100 meters before she saw him running towards her. Both runners felt the largest smile come over their faces as they saw each other, and Dominic felt stirrings in other places too. He slowed as he neared her. His curls were again plastered all around his face and he had obviously put in a lot of effort with this run.

"I'm so sorry," Viv started to say before she felt a finger against her lips shushing her. The finger was replaced by Dominic's lips and the two of them stood on the path holding each other in a huge hug for several seconds. As they started walking back to Viv's, Dominic offered to do the run again for Viv's benefit, but she laughed and said she was still a little tired. Viv had not thought about dinner and Dominic called for some Thai take-away. Viv was impressed that Dominic liked spicy food and thought to ask her of her spice preferences.

"The hotter the better," Viv replied with a smile.

As they finished dinner, Viv's phone rang. It was Toby wanting to play his Aunt his latest violin piece via Facetime. Viv recognised the tune immediately from her student days and gave Toby lots of encouragement. Her phone turned slightly, Toby caught sight of someone else sitting with his Aunt.

"Auntie Viv, is that your boyfriend?" the inquisitive ten year old probed.

"Toby, this is my friend, Dominic, we've just had dinner together." Viv explained.

Toby and Dominic made their acquaintance before Karl popped into the screen. "No way, Mini West! Mate, it's been years! I heard you were chasing my sister!"

Dominic took the ribbing well and explained that usually they ran in stride with each other and there was no chasing required. When the call ended Dominic commented how jealous he was that Viv was so close with all her family.

"When did you speak to your parents last?" Viv asked her friend.

"Christmas, for a bit. I told them I was moving back to the country and they seemed pleased. We just don't have a lot in common." Dominic reflected.

"Why not call them now?" Viv enquired.

"Viv, on Wednesday evenings I meet up with a counsellor. I have been since moving here at the suggestion of one of my mentors at my last job. He saw how surgery was becoming my life and told me I needed to branch out." Dominic went on to explain that John, his psychologist had been exploring family contact with him too. "I want to, but, I just, I don't know."

Viv explored with Dominic things he did have in common with his parents- the upcoming football season and the team the family had followed for years, his mother's salon and how she loved to talk of her clients and his father's love of the outdoors. "Dom, if I sat with you and held your hand, would that help?" Viv offered.

Dominic smiled and retrieved his phone from his pocket. He dialled the number. Viv could sense it was strained a little at first, no, there was no crisis and no he hadn't called for any reason in particular, no it was no one's birthday and no, he wasn't sick or in trouble.

Viv held Dominic's hand and every so often he would laugh and squeeze her hand look at her and smile. Dominic explained to his mother where he was working and that he was really enjoying his job. She sensed the tone of the conversation change and realised Dominic was now speaking with his father. After a few minutes of further hand squeezes, Viv could see Dominic was wrapping up the conversation.

"Dad, it has been good talking to you. I have some time off coming up and I might come and see you if that's ok? No, well maybe, no, it may not be just me, but Dad, it's early days. No, no, she's a midwife... No, no a nurse who delivers babies, Dad. No Dad, how could I have seen her professionally? Yes, she is lovely and beautiful, and I really like her." Dominic gave Viv's fingers a little kiss as he said this, and Viv beamed a smile that lit up the room.

The whole conversation lasted less than twenty minutes, but it had been a success. Dominic hung up and heaved a huge sigh, "I so could not have done that without you, Viv, thank-you," and again he kissed her fingers, still entwined with his.