Running Partners or More?

Story Info
They kept running into each other, almost!
9.8k words
4.79
18.1k
25
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Viv Coughlan put the EarPods in her ears and flicked through her playlists. She had eclectic tastes, but she knew today required something grand and majestic. Whereas yesterday's run called for The Village People, today called for Handel's Coronation Anthems. She told her cat Leroy to mind the house and set off on her usual route down the back streets around her small inner-city cottage towards the waterfront.

Life was good for Viv. She worked as a midwife in the local hospital and had heard that day she was to receive a promotion to a more senior position on her ward. Viv had set goals on the eve of her 25th birthday and now at 29 she had now crossed off all but one- she was nowhere near married, not in a happy relationship, but she owned her cottage (with help from the bank and an inheritance from a dear Great-Aunt), had backpacked through small Asian countries alone and spent time working in Africa as a nurse and midwife and this promotion was the penultimate goal.

Running was a release for Viv. She had a naturally athletic frame, and although she felt she could do without her chunky calves and thighs, she was glad for the long legs they lived on. She was taller than a lot of women and throughout her teenage years had always been a tomboy. The youngest of four children and the only girl she was used to being around boys from an early age, however she was so used to seeing them as friends or brothers that she had a hard time noticing when men were flirting with her.

Now, working in a predominantly female area, Viv found herself mixing with more and more women and the men she came into contact with professionally were usually expectant fathers. Viv's last long-term relationship with Andy had ended almost two years ago. She thought he was 'the one,' however after eleven months together, just as she was getting ready to purchase her cottage, he broke down in tears one night and confided in Viv that he thought he was gay and did not know what to do.

Viv did what she did best- she fixed things for others, introducing Andy to a gay friend of one of her brothers and the rest, as they say, is history. It was not an acrimonious split and Viv and Andy still kept in contact, especially as they still worked at the same hospital. Andy was a physiotherapist and he and Viv still tried to catch up for lunch or a coffee at work most weeks.

As Viv came towards the end of the waterfront stretch, she noticed another runner start pacing alongside her. She looked over and saw it was someone she vaguely recognised from work- he was probably a doctor she figured. He was not at all bad looking, taller than her and well over 6 foot, with a lean frame, dark curls on his head, most plastered flat against his head from sweat. Viv was pleased that he actually looked like he had been putting in effort. But she did not want to stop her playlist and when she came to the street she usually turned up on her run home she took advantage of the green light and sprinted to the left leaving her brief companion to run on ahead.

Viv arrived home and discovered she had made great time. She was always surprised when she ran to classical music that her runs were often a better pace than when she chose Brittney or Bon Jovi. It was not unusual for men to run alongside Viv for a while, but today was somehow different. This man did not want to talk and did not follow her when she turned off. Both of Viv's parents and two of her brothers were doctors and Viv swore early on in her dating life she would never date a doctor. She could not remember why. Viv's parents never questioned her moves towards nursing and subsequently midwifery when she left school, despite her being dux of her class.

Josh and Karl both worked down south, Josh specialising in orthopaedics and Karl in Mental Health. Both were married to lovely women who Viv loved immensely, especially Karl's wife Sasha who was also a nurse. Viv's other brother, Alex, also had music in his blood like Viv and played trumpet in the state's symphony orchestra. He had not fully escaped medicine however as his wife, Jane was a paediatrician.

Viv had moved north after her midwifery training several hundred miles from her family and whilst she missed her parents and brothers and their wives, most of all she missed her nieces and nephews. Viv was a doting Aunt who read stories to her nieces and nephews via Facetime and worked her roster to spend a long weekend in her hometown with her family at least every two months.

Home from her run Viv noticed a text from Sasha, "Auntie Viv! Emma wants to show you the painting she did at kindy today," complete with a photo of some stick figures including Viv with the caption "I love it when Auntie Vivvy comes to the city and dances with me."

Viv knew her visit was overdue but she replied reminding her sister-in-law that she was there in a little over a week for four whole days!

Viv showered and washed her short blonde hair. Viv had had many hairstyles over the years, but to her, she liked the pixie cut and it was easier for work. She poured a glass of wine and opened one of the dating apps she still kept on her phone, despite her reluctance to actually go on dates. As usual, she found herself swiping the way that said no thank-you to all the guys who had tried to leave her a message. It was not that she was overly choosy, but Viv was not into short dalliances, and she had found at almost 30 there were many men who were married and looking for extra fun which she most definitely did not condone.

Thinking back to her temporary running partner she contemplated how she would have reacted should his face have come up on her dating screen. She could not work it out, but there was something about him that had caught her eye. She stroked Leroy who had sat next to her on her couch and asked him why he should have such an easy life!

The following day was Viv's day off. She had planned to tackle the veggie patch before her evening Pilates class. As Viv pulled out the last of her Summer basil and saved some of the seeds, she fertilised the area and hoped for some more warmer weather, scattering basil seeds around. With her crop she made a large batch of pesto which she froze, apart from a portion for her dinner that evening and a portion for her friend, Gina.

Andy had put Viv onto this Pilates class. Years of running as well as almost 9 years as a nurse and midwife meant she had aches in her back, hips and knees. Viv found the exercises stretched things nicely and she liked Gina the instructor. Viv had delivered both of Gina's babies and Gina never let Viv pay for her class. Viv often brought small gifts for Gina including the serve of pesto she had made from her garden spoils that afternoon.

The class was never usually full. Maud was always there, still exercising in her late 70s and Viv loved hearing Maud's latest crisis with her husband, Nev, or her cat, Whiskers. Another couple in their mid 40s also came most weeks. Viv did not know how long they had been together, but they both still helped each other and always held hands as they arrived and left. Relationship goals thought Viv.

Time had gotten away from Viv and she arrived at the last minute. She put her bag in the corner and found a place on the floor. There was a new participant that week. Viv looked over and was stunned to see her running partner from the day before. He had been bailed up by Maud who was telling stories of 'him being off his food all week,' no one understanding if she was talking about her husband or cat.

"Right," said Gina with a clap of her hands, "Thanks for joining us Viv! Tonight we have a new class member- Dom would you like to introduce yourself?"

Dominic West explained to the class he was new to the town, "Hi, I'm Dominic, or Dom, whatever you want to call me, I, um, work at the hospital and, um don't know many people and, um, a colleague suggested I try out this class for my hip pains."

Viv spent most of the class trying to get an idea on Dominic. She didn't think he was gay, but she also did not trust herself on the part after Andy and she tried to place where in the hospital she had seen him before.

At the end of the class Dom made a beeline for Viv. "Hi, I'm pretty sure, um, yesterday..." he started.

Viv laughed "Yes, you're stalking me! Running yesterday, Pilates today!" They both laughed.

"I've seen you around the theatres, but never been in surgery with you, but I've appreciated your smile every time we have crossed in the corridors." Dominic attempted to carry on the conversation.

Viv explained she was a midwife and often in theatre for emergency caesarean sections. She put two and two together and figured Dominic was a surgeon. She excused herself, gave Gina the pesto she had prepared and went to leave.

Gina pulled her back, "Viv, did you see Dom during class- that butt! You two would make a cute couple!"

Viv explained to her friend that she didn't date doctors however when Gina asked why Viv could not give a reason other than living in a family of them. Gina told her not to shut off all possible avenues and Viv smiled.

Walking out of the studio, Dominic again caught up with Viv. "So, um, just so you know I'm not stalking you, tomorrow I'm planning a run in the morning and I'm going to sound like I'm 100 years old and you are going to think this is bizarre, but there is a string quartet concert at a local church in the evening I have tickets for."

Viv stopped in her tracks and looked at Dominic, "Not the Vivaldi and Tellemann at St Augustine's?"

"Look, Viv, you are probably going with your husband, or boyfriend, or partner or whatever, but, look, I'm new in town and don't really know anyone." Dominic said, not looking at Viv, but more into the air almost embarrassed to be admitting this.

"Dominic, um, no, I was going to be there by myself, but, um, I don't date doctors, sorry," Viv tried to explain.

Dominic smiled, "I wasn't asking you out on a date, I'm sorry to have given the wrong impression, but you are the first person I have met in this town who has even heard of Tellemann, let alone someone my own age. But hey, now we know our paths may cross tomorrow too and I am not stalking you!"

Viv got into her car and drove home. She threw some pasta into boiling water and sautéed a chicken breast. She then diced the chicken and stirred it through the pasta with the pesto from the afternoon. She thought back to Dominic. He seemed nice enough and he did not appear to have the arrogance she associated with surgeons, plus he was correct, there would be few people their age in town who would have heard of Tellemann let alone known of his violin quartets.

As Viv climbed into bed she wondered if it might be best if she skipped the concert altogether, however she knew she was bound to bump into Dominic at other times and he seemed harmless and it was rare to find classical music concerts in the town.

The following morning at work Viv mentioned to her colleague, Shannyn that she had bumped into this guy two days in a row and Shannyn commented that third time was bound to be a charm! Viv thought of Dominic throughout her shift- his curls and lopsided smile had started to grow on her.

One of her patients had been in labour for over 18 hours and the foetal monitoring showed that the baby was starting to become distressed. Viv did what she always did and controlled the situation beautifully and with the help of the obstetrician on call the baby was delivered via forceps in 8 minutes. Things suddenly started going south quickly however as a new mother started haemorrhaging. Despite all their best efforts it was off to theatre and it did not look good. Viv tried to comfort the new father who did not know what to expect and, especially as she was waiting on an outcome from the theatres, Viv stayed behind at work for news. Fortunately for all the news was good and the mother had pulled through.

Leaving work three hours late, Viv looked at the clock and realised that if she was going to make the concert, she would need to rush home and change and arrive on an empty stomach. She decided it was all too much and the call of a glass of wine in the bathtub sounded a lot nicer.

As Viv let the water splash over her, she hoped Dominic did not think she was avoiding him. As she lay in the tub, she felt her firm breasts and wondered what Dominic's tongue would feel like on them. "Enough!" Viv said to herself. "Stop thinking about Dominic West! You don't date doctors Vivian Coughlan; you never have, and you never will." But Viv was less than convincing with her self-talk.

Working a late shift the following day Viv decided to go for a run before heading to work. This time however she put on a playlist that included Jay Z, Beastie Boys and Eminem. As she came towards the waterfront Viv noticed there were not many people out running for a Sunday morning. Granted, it was later than she usually ran in the morning, but the days were getting cooler and Viv knew she would not overheat.

Half-way along the waterfront Viv noticed a familiar set of legs start striding alongside her. She looked over to see Dominic. Both of the runners turned their music down at the same time and spoke over each other enquiring about the previous evening.

Viv slowed her pace a little to talk, "I'm sorry, I had a rough day at work and I have never seen a woman haemorrhage so much blood, I really thought we were going to lose her and I couldn't leave until she was stable."

"Viv," Dominic replied, "It wasn't a date or anything, but I will admit I was looking forward to seeing you again. And before you start, I was running towards the waterfront when I saw you come out of a gate, which I assume is your home, and I decided to give you space for a bit and try and pluck up the courage to catch up."

Viv smiled. So, he ran a similar route. "So, um, Dominic, I turn of at Ashford Rd and skirt around the back streets, where do you turn back?"

Dominic explained his route and Viv noted it would add an extra mile to her run, but she was up for a challenge. As they approached Ashford Rd, Viv noticed the lights were red, so she decided to keep running with Dominic. Neither of them spoke for the rest of the run and when they got to Viv's cottage she simply waved and headed inside for a shower before work.

Viv had arranged her roster so she would work six days straight allowing her to fly out to spend four days with her family early Friday morning. On Tuesday she was in theatre helping with another caesarean when she bumped into Dominic.

"Viv!" he exclaimed, hey, I'm planning on running tonight at about 5, shall I call past yours?"

Viv agreed and joked that he would have to keep up for her entire route.

The rest of Viv's shift was uneventful. She had time to contemplate her run that evening. For some reason she liked running with Dominic. Their strides were similar, and he seemed to enjoy running as much as she did. She was going through her playlists as she closed her front door at 5 and saw Dominic leaning against her fence.

"You could have come in you, know!" Viv chastised her running partner. He pretended not to hear her over his headphones. Viv pressed play and they were on their way. Dominic did not push Viv on her run, but she wanted to run faster. She was listening to Bach Violin Concerti and knew these always put a spring in her step. Part way along the waterfront they saw a commotion ahead of them. A runner was on the ground and people were milling around.

Dominic took the earbuds from his ears and offered to help. The runner had chest pain. Viv called for an ambulance and as they waited with the man, he thanked them both for stopping to help. There was not a lot they could do, but each of them was hoping he would stay conscious and they would not need to start CPR.

As the ambulance pulled away Dominic stated he had lost his running rhythm and asked Viv if she would mind walking the rest of the way. Viv agreed removing her EarPods and placing them in the zipped compartment of her running shorts. Viv told Dominic it was not the first heart attack she had come across on the waterfront and explained how six months earlier she had some onlookers had given CPR to a man who did not make it. They talked a little about work, but more about running and why each of them ran. Dominic explained he started running in medical school when he was going through a rough patch and had kept on going ever since.

The conversation turned to music and Viv learnt that Dominic had studied Violin like herself right through High School. She commented that she had been listening to the Bach Double Violin Concerto as they ran down the waterfront. Dominic joked that they should both get their violins out and play it together, but Viv told him she had not played in years. The conversation flowed easily, however neither party gave very much away about their family or where they had studied. Viv learnt that Dominic had moved from her hometown and she mentioned she was visiting there the following weekend to catch up with her family and see her nieces and nephews.

"Well there goes what I was going to ask you next then, Viv!" Dominic chuckled, "I was going to see if you wanted to grab a bite to eat after Pilates on Friday."

Viv noted she was almost disappointed that she had to turn down her new friend. He was easy to talk to. Arriving back at Viv's place, she turned to Dominic, "Um, look, I only ever cook for me, but I always make too much, so I have plenty, and, um, well, care to come in for a bite? I mean, not a date or anything, just running partners eating dinner."

Dominic smiled. He readily accepted. He enjoyed the company of his new friend and he knew he was developing other feelings for her. He enjoyed her manner with Jim, the runner who had had the heart attack that evening and he could never get enough of her smile. He was trying to do the maths in his head "So Viv, 3 years nursing school, 18 months midwifery, you must be a grad almost then?"

Viv laughed and told Dominic she turned 30 in three months' time. She talked of her recent promotion and how she was looking forward to the added responsibility. It was then her turn to flatter Dominic "And what about you, you must be, what a junior registrar?"

It was Dominic's turn to laugh. He explained he was 35 and a fully-fledged member of the College of Surgeons.

Viv wasn't usually one to pry but she had opened a bottle of wine and after a glass was feeling more daring, "35, no way! You must have a string of ex-wives or girls with broken hearts trailing behind you!"

Dominic smiled "No, not exactly..." but there was a tinge of sadness in his voice that Viv detected. She left it and decided that Dominic could share what he wanted. She explained about Andy and ascertained, that yes, he was the one who recommended the Pilates class to Dominic.

Viv made a quick beef stir-fry for the two and Dominic made all the right comments about her cooking. He also commented on her quaint cottage and Viv explained that a great-aunt had died and left her and her brothers a small inheritance, so she used it as a house deposit. Leroy had made a friend and curled up in Dominic's lap. He did not mind and liked stroking the cat's back and scratching his ears.

She showed Dominic out the back and her herb and veggie garden and Dominic again was impressed. He told Viv of his attempts to grow herbs on his balcony, but there was too much sun and he had not had time to set up watering systems.

The following day Viv wanted to check on Jim in the cardiac ward. She went in her lunch hour and was surprised to find Dominic already there. Jim was again so thankful, "Doctor, thank-you so much and thank-you too to your beautiful wife for stopping to help me!"

Viv thought of correcting him, however decided against it. She and Dominic left Jim's bedside together.