Salt and Pepper

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Later as Ed walked me out to my truck, he said I thought you should know that Stew told me earlier that he'd been waiting almost twenty years for a man like you to come into his daughter's life.

It was just after I had changed into my pajama bottoms that there was a knock at my door. I should have known. It was Jeanie.

"Am I always going to have to make the first move?" Jeanie asked.

Without a word I picked her up and carried to the bed. She stayed the night. Neither one of us got much sleep. I woke up to the sound of Jeanie talking on the phone. She had started making coffee. Lyndia showed up a few minutes later with 'take out' food from the town diner and a change of clothes for her mother. It hit the spot. While Jeanie was in the bathroom, Lyndia and I got to talk.

"Mom's been divorced for six years," Lyndia explained. "You the first one she has shown interested in since then. You're the opposite of my dad. She's never watched a man the way she watched you last night. I think she's in love so please don't hurt her."

I told Lyndia my story. When Jeanie came out from the shower, I was showing her picture of my children that I had stored on my laptop. Of course, Jeanie had to see them too.

My cell phone rang. I noticed it was Caroline, so I answered it and threw the speaker on.

"Hi, dad." My daughter said. "Just thought I should get you got up on the news. Mom is no longer contesting the divorce. So, it was approved pending proof that the issue of the house is resolved."

"What changed her mind?" I asked seriously.

"It seems the five ladies on their trip caught an unexpected gift from the same guy. Somehow it became public news. That made her realize there was no way she could ever get you back. Seeing the backlash and laughter made her see for the first time what she had done. Even she is now feeling ashamed. The university is trying to push her out. They won't be able to, but they will try their best to get her to quit." Caroline said." She still sees nothing wrong with what she did. According to her these days everything is acceptable the problem is a lot of others don't see it that way."

"How is she coping emotionally?" I asked. "Now that she has been forced to see her conduct from the other side."

'Dad she's a basket case. I'm still so full of anger about what she did that I don't give a shit. Everything we were taught by our parent by her conduct was thrown away." My daughter explained. "She got an appraisal on the house and has agreed to buy you out. All you must do is sign the paperwork at your lawyer's and pick up the check. You can stay here overnight when you come."

"I will have to look at my schedule to find out when I can come," I replied. "It might be best if I just stay in a hotel because I won't be coming alone."

I looked over at Jeanie and Lyndia their eyes where bright both had huge smiles on their face.

"Dad! You met someone, That's great." Caroline said in excitement. "What's her name and what is she like?"

"My name is Jeanie I have a sixteen-year-old daughter name Lyndia ask me anything you like."

I got up and went over to pour myself another cup of coffee. I let Jeanie and Caroline go at it. You can't force relationships you have to let them work it out whenever possible. Lyndia walked over to me and hugged me tightly.

"Cj and I have been friends for years," Lyndia said. "From him, I learned what kind of man you are. He said that you always worked out things in your mind before saying or doing anything. Grandma says you're a lot like my granddad. If you decide this relationship is serious, I'll support you all the way."

I smiled and hugged her back. Jeanie and Caroline were still going at it. By the sounds of the conversation, they were well on the way to becoming friends. So, I took Lyndia for a tour of the house. Well doing it she told me she was interested in interior design. I issued her a challenge. I have the square footage of each room and its basic shape on a graphic image on my laptop. For each of the three levels and the huge landing between the second and the third. I would love to see what you could do with it. Her eyes got big and wide.

"Why?" She asked."

"Every home is better when it has a woman's touch." I replied "the kitchen cupboards and bathroom cabinets are all going to be made with oak. I will have stained glass pink and red lamps hanging over the island. Remember the countertops and tiles should complement the overall image of the rooms."

"Nice speech." Lyndia responded. "it's because I know what my mom likes."

I did not say a word I wanted to, but I didn't even though it was tempting. We got back to find that Caroline and Jeanie were still talking. Lyndia had just been expressing her hopes.

Jeanie and Lyndia decided I needed to see a bit of what the area had to offer so off we went enjoying the day before it got so hot that you would smother. Jeanie sat next to me in the truck. Lyndia, when she got the chance, would introduce me as her mother's boyfriend while milking it for all its worth. Lyndia controlled the music it was 'new country' all the way. I made the comment that 'new country' was like old rock and roll just jazzed up. The three of us go into a great discussion about singers and bands down through the ages. Somehow Jeanie's parents found out and informed Jeanie that we were all expected for Sunday dinner. I wasn't ready for family dinners so I suggest they join us, and we would go out. My treat.

We met them at a place they liked. It was nice to see that Stew like me was a meat and potato man. We both had steaks mashed potatoes with brown gravy. He had green beans I had lima. Of course, we both ordered our stouts.

Mary and Lyndia ordered catfish with fries, Jeanie had fried chicken a salad and applesauce Both ladies ordered a glass of wine. Lyndia disclosed during the meal the challenge I had issued so Stew and I ended up just listening as the ladies put their two cents in.

Cj was waiting for me when I got back to the trailer the next morning still wearing what he called my fancy clothes. I told him to make some coffee while I changed my clothes.

"Cj we got six customers lined up waiting for us to give quotes for when we get this done," I said. "If we go for it, it means reg payroll tax deduction health care and all that stuff. Are you interested or not? For us to be competitive there will be no overtime time, if we screw up it's out of our pocket. I will estimate labor costs to pay you twenty an hour"

"Dean my mother asked me the same thing. I told her that if you were going to do it, I was in." He said "Because he's paying a good wage, teaching me a trade. I know that there will be downtimes there always is when you're self-employed."

"We will when we have a job to do be working six days a week at the most. I don't think after this I will ever want to work seven again." I said. "Besides I don't think Jeanie will let me."

Cj broke out with a smile. "Lyndia sent me a text yesterday morning." As he opened the text on the cell.

He handed it to me. It read finally what I hoped is happening Mom and Dean spent the night together. I laughed.

At lunchtime, Jeanie showed up with our lunch. Cj and I were being spoiled. She spent the afternoon helping. First by unpacking the equipment then hauling out the packing as we set up the metal tables and set up. With her help, we were set up by six to start operation in the morning. Before shutting down for the night I did one more thing. Using my laptop with my new printer I printed out the measurements, the positions, and layouts for the complete kitchen. The three-d image I pinned on the bulletin board in the small office.

Jeanie's eyes lit up when I explained the pull out drawers for pots and pans, the panty styled like a bookcase that rotated by a push of a button to give access from two sides. On one side of it would be the broom closet with hooks across the top on which we could hang the coats. The tall thin cupboard for cookies sheets cutting boards and metal grates. The spice cupboard with an indented door that allowed the spices you use every day to be held in place. The rest would be hidden behind. Set to be right beside the stove. The top cabinet doors would all have a stained glass in a red and pink combo implanted within the wood.

"Any woman would die to have a kitchen like this are you sure you can build as good as it looks?" Jeanie asked.

"My ex has one about half the size in our old home right now done in this style. This one is the first one I will do with stained glass. The makers are making two hanging lights to match that will go over the island. That is partly why she agreed to buy me out instead of selling it." I replied.

"She had everything but threw it all away for wild unrestricted sex," Jeanie said getting serious. "What in the hell was her problem?"

"Her love for me was not strong enough to have stopped her. That says it all!" I replied. "That's why it's been so easy for me to walk away and not look back. I don't think she ever loved me the way a person in love should."

We were looking at each other when I said it. It must have hit her hard she had tears in her eyes as I did. I was wondering why.

"Dean I think you hit a home run with that remark. After hearing your insight into the end of your marriage I understand now why mine ended." Jeanie said. "For too long I believed I had failed. The problem was not mine it was his. We didn't share the same view of what love is. I didn't understand that very point until just now."

Jeanie and I both agreed later that this moment was the foundation of our relationship. The knowledge that we both had the same view of what love was.

We spent the rest of the week cutting the frames for the kitchen cupboards and assembling them. They all would have adjustable shelves. Thursday afternoon with Cj set to carry on till we got back Jeanie and I headed out towards Cape Girardeau. We asked Lyndia if she wanted to come and she wisely declined.

Jeanie and I drove about halfway before checking into a nice hotel. It had a lounge with a small band playing. We spent the evening dancing. During one of the bands breaks they joined our table and we had an informal chat. I asked them if they knew the song 'years from now' made popular by Dr. Hook. They did so when they got back to the stage, they started the set with it. Jeanie and I were on the floor dancing to it.

Later we were lying on the bed when I asked her if I could scratch my chin. She looked at me funny like I was a nut and said sure go ahead. I rolled over so I was on top of her and dropped my chin between her breasts moving it back and forth between her cleavage tickling her. You can imagine where it headed from there. Later she said to me I'm not going to fall for that again. I laughed.

We had just left William Conner's office. I held the settlement in my hand. He had the funds held in trust until I signed the papers. Since all outstanding issues had been resolved the divorce certificate could now be issued. We still had a couple of hours to kill before Caroline and Don got off from work. Jeanie asked me to show her where I had lived. So, we drove by. I could not help noticing that the lawn was not being kept up to my standards. We drove over to the mall and stopped in a jewelry store. Jeanie wanted to know why.

"Well, I think it's time to give your promissory ring if you're ready," I said. "Lyndia and your father have informed me I have their support."

She was.

Trying to find a quiet spot in a restaurant in Cape Girardeau on Friday is as possible as finding a needle in a haystack. Caroline and I had agreed to meet at Hickory House in Jackson at five. They were already waiting when we pulled in. I was the one that was taken by surprise because standing right behind Caroline and Don were my two sons. Dean being a catcher had been called up as a backup because of an injury and was passing through. Having a two-point seven batting average didn't hurt. Daniel had gotten a few days of leave, so he could be here. I looked at Jeanie's smile and I knew she'd been in on it. So had Lyndia that's why she said next time.

"My god Dad! You look buff." Caroline said. "Your Dadbod is gone. Love the new look are you going to keep it?"

"Jeanie this is Caroline, her husband Don. The taller of the two behind them is my oldest Daniel the others, Dean." I said. "Yes, Caroline I am. My waist has gone down by six inches and I'm not as soft as I used to be."

It was a very enjoyable meal and conversation. Jeanie got grilled but handled it well. I did as well once they all learned I was converting a barn into a house. Jeanie explained how we met and showed them a picture in my work clothes hauling wood. I didn't know but she had taken pictures of the barn in stages as it was being worked on explaining that it had over three thousand square feet on the main floor. The second and third floors are smaller because of the huge landing between the floors.

When the ladies excused themselves to use the washroom, my sons, voiced their approval of Jeanie.

"Dad it's been years since you have looked this young," Dean said. "The hard work must be agreeing with you. Also, you no longer seem stressed."

"I love the work," I explained. "When I finish the house, I'm going into construction full time. Jeanie will handle the store. I already have six major projects to bid on."

I told Don that if he would allow me, I would like to build all the babies furniture. He was tickled pink. Not only would it be the best quality, but Sharron and he would be the envy of all our friends. Don couldn't keep a secret if he tried, he had to blab the news to Caroline when she got back. I was surprised none of the kids had brought up their mother. It wasn't until we got back to Caroline and Don's place till Lauren came up.

Jeanie wanted a family picture of the kids and me. Then Don wanted a picture of the four of us with Jeanie. Jeanie asked him to take one for us using her cell. Caroline was making coffee when her mother called. I only heard one side of the conversation, but my daughter came across as cold and distant. I heard Caroline tell her mother she needed to get some professional help. Well, she was busy I asked my sons how they were getting along with their mother. Both had the same reply were not. I went to say something, but Jeanie kicked my leg lightly, so I didn't. The six of us spent the rest of the evening playing double rummy with two decks of cards. Later when we got back to our hotel room Jeanie and I talked.

"Their wounds are still fresh," Jeanie said. "You have to realize that they had no clue. Even your packing up and leaving was a cultural shock. When we were in the lady's room Caroline told me, she was finding it rough not having the rock in her life near. She wanted to know if I could explain why Lauren had done what she did. I suggested that maybe Lauren had felt there was something missing in her life. Caroline said my mother just didn't do it to dad she did it to all of us."

"You know Jeanie Caroline would never have told me that," I replied. "Makes me realize I need to sit down and explain what my feelings were to my children and Don tomorrow. They will want answers, so I got some serious thinking to do."

"Lyndia saw my ex and my marriage dissolve over time so was expecting the breakup when it finally happened," Jeanie explained. 'She felt relief when it was over and was my rock as I rebuilt my life. She watched me go into a shell until I met you that day. The moment I got home that night the first thing she said is who is he. I said whatever do you mean. She replied I haven't seen you smile like that in years. Your kids were just hit with it from out of the blue"

"To be honest love, it wasn't till you came with the picnic basket that I saw you as a beautiful woman. I too was coming to terms with it all." I said. "The outfit you wore that day had me wondering what kind of fool would throw away something like that. Cj had to point out to me that we had already been our first date. It hit me like a brick. When I realized you were chasing me?"

"Why?" asked Jeanie.

"I guess in the back of my mind Lauren had left the impression that I was not good enough. I was trying to figure out why." I replied. "Then you came onto me accepting me when I was questioning my worth as a man."

Jeanie climbed into my arms holding me tight leaving me to my thoughts. I think she realized how much she had saved me from going to where I was headed. Each of us had helped the other free themselves from the past.

It was bound to happen sooner or later. It happened quite unexpectedly. Jeanie and I ran into Lauren. We had slept in having a lazy Saturday morning, so we had decided to go to Golden Corral for brunch. Lauren passed right by me while I was picking out my first plate of food. She was here with one of the ladies from the university that I had never met. I had to smile because it was clear that she didn't recognize me.

I was wearing a pair of Walmart no-name blue jeans, a form-fitting t-shirt I had bought online with a long-sleeved blue jean shirt left unbuttoned and cowboy boots. With my new hairstyle, full beard and loss of body mass I wasn't the same man I used to be. Jeanie having a north African European heritage had more of their natural color to her skin was dressed to match. I had often heard her say she was white pepper. I pointed my ex out to Jeanie to prepare her in case something happened. Jeanie adeptly pointed out that Laurens face and body displayed the stress she was under. Then said she's on the verge of cracking.

Since meeting Jeanie, she had exposed me to the food her culture had. As a result, I had gradually cut down on the starches, the fats, and the salts as I expanded my taste buds. Jeanie was more like her mother as her dad was a good old boy from the south. I had yet to learn how they had met.

"Dean. I can't believe it's you." Dennis Pott said as he pulled out a chair and sat across from us. "You like you did when we were young adults."

I laughed. "Dennis, I want you to meet Jeanie. Jeanie, I have known Dennis since childhood. We went to school together.

Dennis and Jeanie hit it off and soon he was telling her of some of our childhood escapades. He always could put a comical spin on things and soon had her laughing. Jeanie caught Lauren staring and said she had the look of shock on her face. I told Dennis what I was doing to the old place. Jeanie showed him the pictures from her cell. That brought up the story of how we had stripped his father's storage shed to build us a fort while his father was on one his trips. My Dad had let his dad whip my ass for that one. Finally, my ex got the nerve to approach our table.

"Dean, is that really you?" Lauren asked. "I thought you had left town!"

"I have," I replied. "I had to come back to settle some unfinished business and to see the kids. "Lauren this is my girlfriend Jeanie and of course you know Dennis."

"Can I talk to you for a minute about a few things," Lauren asked softly.

After standing up I said "There is no need. Our marriage was dead when you took your first sex vacation over ten years ago. When I found out what you were doing. I got checked out for an STD. thankfully I was clean. I left what I did because I did not want to be reminded of you. My clothes give to the salvation army as they will no longer fit me. Go live your life your way and allow me the peace and quiet to live mine."

Lauren went to speak but I told her I didn't want to hear it. I had moved on she should do the same I sat back down as she walked away in tears. I looked at Jeanie and she had a smile on her face.

'I can't believe you were that cold that's so unlike you." Jeanie said.

Dennis laughed. "Jeanie that man will give anyone the shirt off his back if they honestly needed it and expect nothing in return. Lauren built herself a bridge too far for Dean to ever cross. The day he found out he came to talk to me. When did he tell me what she had said? I knew she was dead in his eyes if he could prove it was true. I gave him a dirt-cheap price on the land as a payback for all the things he has done for me and my wife over the years. What I lost in market value he has more than saved me twice over. If he feels he's being played, he will just end it and walk away. We learned early to read people. We may get burned once but they will never do it to us again."