Salt and Pepper

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"If she wanted that kind of lifestyle, Lauren could have honesty had it. We would have just divorced ten years earlier." I said. "To me, life is too valuable to waste it."

Jeanie took my hand. "I couldn't agree with you more. There will be no big wedding for us. Just two witness and a justice of the peace when you're ready."

We got back to eating. Dennis got a plate and joined us. When Jeanie got up to get a refill. Dennis said it straight.

"She beautiful Dean. My wife Jena will love her. Lauren had to know when she saw her that you had traded up. Theirs more class in Jeanie's finger then there ever was in Lauren."

That brought a huge smile to my face and a boost to my ego. I was still explaining how Jeanie and I met when she got back. Of course, she had to put her two cents in. Dennis got a kick out of us because we were already finishing each other's sentences. Before leaving Dennis got us to agree to come over for drinks after dinner so Jeanie could meet Jena.

When we got to my daughter's house that was when we got surprised. As we walked into her living room, they had hung a banner that said welcome to the family Jeanie. I glanced at her to see eyes being teared up.

"Don saw the promissory ring last night." Sharron said. "the four of felt we needed to celebrate it properly."

"We will." I said. "but first I think I need to explain my actions since I found out It might help you all to make your own decisions about your mother."

For the next hour or so I went through every minor detail I could think of. Explaining the rawness of my emotions, the doubts about my manhood the fear that I might have caught aids and of how I had become protective of myself. I thought it would be easier to cut my losses and run. In that way, I had failed as their father because for the first time in my life I had put myself first. Jeanie pointed out to me that when I bolted, I had done just as much damage to the four of you as your mother had done to me. Jeanie also said that was on top of all of you having to deal with the public disclosure about your mothers' conduct.

"Dad," Daniel said. "The four of us talked last night. We realized a few things. First, you were blindsided just as bad as we were. Growing up if we had a problem it was you, we came to resolve it. You had only yourself because you kept your problems to yourself. You always put all of us first. Our mother's value system has changed since she became the department head. Like you, we did not see it. It was Caroline who explained it to us all the best. Mom's conduct showed us too that in her eyes we were nothing, but second class compared to her liberal friends."

"It's like what many of my democratic friends are saying," Dean added. 'We have not left the democrat party the democrat party has left us. They are becoming something that I can't be. That is what was so eye-opening to us."

"None of us can honestly say we know who our mother is anymore and that's the biggest shock of all," Sharron said. "We all agreed that if Jeanie and you get married, we'd all be honored to call her Mom."

Jeanie lost it. Neither one of us had expected that. Everything was out in the open now. Just as it should be if you're a family. The Kebbell's had lost one and gained one but we were stronger. We were whole.

We got to Jena and Dennis place about seven-thirty in the evening I had stopped to get Jena a nice bouquet of seasonal flowers. It was a tradition that I had started after they had gotten married. I only did it when I was invited. If I just quickly visited, I brought nothing. Little did we know that they had invited a few of my lifelong friends so they could meet Jeanie. They had finished off the basement making it a huge tiled all-purpose room. It had been used for many informal bring your bottle parties back in the day. We spent the night twisting the night away. Jeanie and I had really enjoyed ourselves.

I must admit Jeanie was the star of the night although everyone admired the shape, I was in. Many of the men razzed me because their wives were giving them a hard time with hints with a little effort, they could be buff too. They got them back by saying but it took a divorce to get Dean too. Before the night was over Jeanie Jena and a few others had become friends.

We met the kids for Sunday Morning breakfast before heading out. All made us promise they'd be one of the first to see the barn when it was finished. I took the long way out to the interstate fifty-five.

"Surprising it had been a busy few days." Jeanie started. "I never thought it would turn out the way it did. The pictures we got with the kids were great. Lyndia is going to want a detailed report when we get back. I was hoping I would find some acceptance but I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed by their openness and trust."

"My children haven't lost their trust in me even after whats happened," I replied. "Their seeing my interest in you and our relationship made their acceptance easier. Yet their actions blew me away. What surprised me was the understanding of what happened between their mother and me. They gave me insights that I had never seen."

"You did what you needed at the time. Dean the wised thing you did was not spoken but was heard by them all." Jeanie said. "To them the fact you did not degrade their mother even after all she did to the family showed a lot of your integrity."

I turned and looked at her with a loving smile as she slid over next to my laying her head against my shoulder.

"You surprise me, Dean," Jeanie said. "Each day I'm with you I find reasons to love you more."

We were still an hour from home when Jeanie's cell phone started ringing. It woke her up. First, it was Lyndia then her mother. It was made clear it didn't matter if we were tired Sunday dinner was at six and we were both expected. We pulled into her parents' house at a quarter to six finding there were cars parked all over. Mary and Stew had called the whole family home. I learned that Jeanie had five siblings, two brothers, and three sisters. Where I only had one sister. Those who could come did. It was Lyndia who noticed her mother's new promissory ring. After getting through the introductions as soon as she found the chance, she pulled me aside. I was standing with Stew enjoying the cold dark stout when she took my hand and led me away.

"I saw the ring Dean just want you to know it's no more Dean its Dad," Lyndia said quietly. "When you two get married I expect you'll find a way that I too can take your name."

I guess she saw me getting emotional because she at once gave me a loving big hug. No sooner had she walked away I got hit from Stew with the question what was that all about. I replied just a bonding moment nothing more nothing less. That was when Lyndia yelled quiet everyone I got something to say.

"You all have been introduced to Dean my mother's boyfriend," Lyndia said. "What you don't know is that mom got her promissory ring this weekend. From this day forward he's Dad to me got it."

"Who are you and what are you." Stew laughed with glee. "This is bigger than you know. Lyndia hasn't recognized her father as her father for years. Everyone in the family knew."

I looked for Jeanie and saw that she was with her mother both were crying. I asked

"Stew what am I missing?" I asked

He said, "I will tell you in private later."

Jeanie went home with Lyndia. I went back to my travel trailer.

I was impressed Cj had worked his ass off. All the framework for the kitchen cupboards was done. Each section put together ready for the finishing touches. Even the Island had been built. The precut stained glass had arrived on Friday. He had unpacked and repacked to make sure it all arrived safely.

It allowed us to start doing the oak veneer that needed to be glued on all parts that would be exposed and put in place the oak frame on which the doors would hang. He had even drilled the holes for the small wood plugs we would use to reinforce the oak outer frame we had to install when we had it built.

About four-thirty that Monday afternoon Lyndia rolled in bringing with her the laptop. Cj noticed that she was extremely happy. We both shut down our equipment as she walked into the workshop.

"Dad," Lyndia said. "I've got two plans ready for you to look at both completely different. If you got the time."

Cj said wtf. I laughed mouthing I'll explain later as I walked towards Lyndia.

"Let's go to the trailer. You can show me there." I replied.

Both her plans for the barn were beautiful. I had to admit to her that I had not gotten that far with my planning. She showed the outside barn repainted in two different colors. Had added shutters to give it a touch of class. The roof that had to be re-shingled were presented in two different styles. Each room was shown as if it was completely done. I loved them both, but I said If I was selling the place either one is fine but for a home, you need to redesign one room.

"Which one dad and why?" Lyndia asked.

"The master bedroom. My father understood that it was basically the woman who ran the house and the kids. It was his belief that the master bedroom should be soft in texture so that it supplied a natural feeling of being a haven for her. So, it needs to reflect those elements. Your two samples don't. For a man, it's just a place to sleep." I explained.

"You want that to be done that way for my mother?" Lyndia said with a smile. "Don't you."

"You're pretty smart for a teenager," I said grinning. "Redo the master bedroom then present them to your mother. Get her opinion but don't tell her that the one we will go with is the one that she picks."

As I stood up to head out to the shop I said. "Lyndia make sure the bedroom you pick for yourself reflects what you want."

I was back in the shop explaining to Cj how we were going to have to cut mold and frame in the glass for each door on the top when Lyndia came rushing into my arms sobbing saying I love you, dad. I just held her until she calmed down.

Cj waited till Lyndia had left.

"Dean, Lyndia has had a hard life. Six years ago, she caught her father beating her mother and got caught in the middle. She ended up in the hospital for over a week. Jeanie had been abused for so long that she believed she had deserved it. It was Lyndia that forced her parents' divorce." Cj disclosed. "From the day I met you she has asked me millions of questions about you because she felt she needed to protect her mother again. Little did I know she was also learning herself that not all men were like her father."

"Cj thanks," I replied. "A few years back I had to get my sister out of the same type of situation. You answered a lot of questions. Men who abuse don't love. For them, it's all about control and power"

I then explained what Lyndia and I were doing in the trailer and why? He told me she had picked his brains over the last week almost to the point of pissing him off. She said she was working on a special project and wanted to make sure she got it right. I told Cj that interior design added value to a place and was used when planning or designing multi-units.

For the rest of the week, we pushed the limits. The timber company was still cutting hauling and burning. The good news was the price for bulk lumber had gone up in the market. Thursday Lyndia called me telling me she had finished designing. It was now mother, and daughter approved. It is sitting in your email. Jeanie and I had not seen much of each other she had been busy ordering equipment learning the new computer system and accounting program. That night I arranged and paid for all the floors to be installed starting in a week. I sent the painters I had contracted a copy of Lyndia video they would start on the inside of the barn tomorrow. It was easier to seal and spray paint when the floors were not finished. I added the shutters to my need-to-do list.

When the floor was laid, the painting is done, and the cabinets installed. The plumbers came back to install the toilets, sinks shower bathtubs and faucets all according Lyndia design. It took Cj and I another week to put the inside doors, the light fixtures up and to put the crown molding in. I got a crew to come in and shingle the roof and put the shutters up. It would take the timber company one more week to finish then the pavers would come to pave the driveway and create a parking space on the side with a turnaround.

The grand opening of Dj's two weeks later was a success. The store's sales for the first twenty-four hours was better than ever. The estimated cost by the contractor had been overstated. Jeanie and I were pleased. The extra stock and variety had increased traffic. Jeanie changed her hours and started working from six am till 2 pm Monday to Friday. If the sales kept the pace Stew was right, we had underestimated our cash flow by a quarter. We took the weekend to go to Branson. It was in the butterfly auditorium with butterflies from around the world that I got down on one knee and proposed. Ed captured it all to Ann's delight.

Ed got Lyndia's cell number and texted the video to her. It took Lyndia two minutes to text me asking have you set a date. I replied not yet smart ass. Sunday afternoon after we got back, we swung by Jeanie's parents' place to pick them up. We had Lyndia meet us at the barn. It was time to show them our new home. Jeanie had an idea what it would be like, but she did not know that I had Lyndia decide how to furnish it. As the items arrive Cj and I had moved them into the room Lyndia wanted them for. Cj and Lyndia got a bunch of their friends to set it all up. I had given her a budget and stressed quality. No pressboard.

Mary and Stew love the place. How it was open and inviting impressed them the most. Mary could not believe the kitchen Jeanie would have. From it, you could see most of the living room the dining room and family room. The whole downstairs was warm and inviting. It looked like everything belonged, yet it gave you easy access to the laundry room which had a built-in laundry Shute on each level in which we could drop down our dirty clothes. You had to go through it to enter the furnace room or to go outside. On the other side of the furnace room was the half bathroom.

Each bedroom had its own huge full bathroom and walk-in clothes closet with a sitting area. Lyndia had chosen the first one to be hers and proudly discussed each piece she had picked out for herself. But it was the landing area that we would use as our open library that captures their eyes. Both knew that the wildlife would be attracted by the meadow we had created. This spot would be perfect for viewing. They asked me what I was going to do with the travel trailer. I said sell it if I can.

Jeanie when she saw the master bedroom lost it. Lyndia had chosen well the pastel colors expressed a soft inviting look. The queen four corners posted bed with the canopy; matching dresser two nightstands were already made up. His and hers walk-in closet on each side of the master bathroom Jeanie thought was huge. The other three bedrooms we had not yet furnished. We were sitting at the island. Lyndia had run out to the trailer to bring in five glasses a two-liter bottle of coke and the crown royal I had hidden. She was surprised when I poured her a drink.

"A Toast to Lyndia to thank her for her hard work and effort in pulling us all together," I said. "I gave her an amount of money and she was able to come in under budget."

Jeanie's eyes filled with pride. "You helped Dean do all of this without my knowing. When? How?"

"Lyndia did it while at our house. If she found something, she liked she emailed Dean to get his approval before ordering and paying for it." Stew said. "She really impressed me with her skill and knowledge. She looked for quality and value."

It took us another four weeks to do the landscape we had sod laid down for an acre around the house, and clover planted over the rest. Stew tilled it up laid the seed within two weeks. Cj and I had just finished our first commercial job. He needed two weeks off to do a job for his mother. I started on Caroline's baby furniture. Jeanie was planning the wedding. It would be the first time the full family would be together. The timber company and I had settled. It turned out that after the dust had settled, I had made just enough to cover both our wages, the expenses to buy and build the house.

My ex-wife Lauren had a mental health breakdown and was now on medical leave. Only time and acceptance of what she had done would heal her. It reminded me that each one of us humans must find our own way to overcome.

Jeanie had gone to the Doctor's office after work and had just gotten home. She came into the shop looking worried. I stopped what I was doing and shut down the equipment.

"You look concerned," I said as I took her into my arms. "What did the Doctor say?"

Jeanie's face broke into a grin. "You're going to have to make two more sets."

"Two more sets of what?" I asked while wondering what this had to do with the Doctor.

"Baby furniture." She said with a big huge smile. "The doctor believes he heard two heartbeats. I'm hoping one is salt and the other is pepper."

To this day Stew and I still banter as to whether, or not if it was a shotgun wedding.