Sam Spade 04: Case of the Missing Heiress

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I pulled Angela up and beside me on the bench, "I do, I always have and always will." I pulled out the paper and handed it to her. I need to know everything about this address before eight pm tonight."

Angela looked at it and then at me. She shrugged and called the office. Rattling off the address she said, "Mistress needs the info on it stat. Yes I said Mistress, Samantha agreed to give us a second chance at pleasing her." Looking at me she said, "Ok done, now what?"

I placed my arm around her shoulders and pulled her close, "Now we wait. I believe that the address will lead us to Cynthia." Angela looked at me and I nodded, "Yes love you are going with me. I think it is too good to be true and in reality is a trap."

It only took a few minutes before the phone buzzed. Angela answered and listened, "Ok thank you," She said before closing it and looking at me. "It's a bar."

"Good, let's go have a drink or two." I said as I stood up.

Chapter 5

The bar at the address was in the lower east side. I was glad I had Angela along just because of the neighborhood. Reaching the address, we looked around. If one of my girls had not confirmed that beyond the door was a drinking establishment, I would never have guessed it. Looking at Angela I shrugged and walked through the door.

It was as if I walked through a time portal. The bar was of a style that had not been around for at least 500 years or more. The floor made from wood planks looked as they had been taken from a shipwreck and only half-heartedly placed on the floor. The light came from great chandlers in the middle of the room, in which stubby fat candles burned.

On one side was a wooden staircase leading up, its banister having been repaired several times with different wood. Around the room, several tables and chairs were scattered as if they were flotsam and jetsam. Along the wall to our right was the bar, made from a fine dark redwood and polished to a shine. I looked at Angela and said, "All we need is Errol Flynn to come down the stairs and say 'Welcome to Sherwood.'"

If the setting was odd, the patrons were unbelievable. While there were not many customers, they were dressed as different as night and day. Sitting in the corner were two women drinking red wine together. One, her fiery red hair framed her face like a lion's mane, was wearing what looked like a form fitting red rubber leotard, fingerless matching gloves, and heels. Her companion on the other hand was the only normal looking customer, her black hair hung to her shoulders and hiding the collar of her white shirt; and her black jeans were belted with a fine leather belt.

Further, into the bar, a woman with dark brown hair sat on a stool talking to the bartender. She must have just spent a fortune on the hairstyle; and her flowing white dress was more suited for an awards ceremony then a dump like this. On the stool next to her, a silver fox cape lay draped over it as if forgotten. If anyone looked as if she were a countess, this was the woman. The bartender looked no different than any other bartender I have ever met. It was strange though, in this day and age, to find a human bartender. Robots were so much cheaper and dependable.

A few places down a large dog sat on a stool, its front paws on the counter, drinking something from a bowl. Sitting next to it was a woman with the longest black hair I had ever seen talking to it. She was wearing a poet's shirt tucked into a black mini and thigh boots. While that was not unusual, the hand-and-a-half sword hanging from her back was. I wondered how she would have the strength to swing it let alone draw it over her head.

Towards the back, a pair of men sat drinking and laughing, one dressed in dark pants and a red silk shirt, his black hair was slicked back. From his profile, I could see the classic Spanish features; he looked as if he were a living Don Juan. His drinking partner looked like an old time Hells Angel with leather, chains and a biker's jacket on the chair next to him. Of all the patrons, he was the one that fit the place. Of Cynthia there was no sign.

As I stood there taking in the bar, everyone stopped what they were doing and stared at us. My first reaction was to run out the door; however, putting on a brave smile, I walked in and sat down on the other side of the cape. Angela followed behind me looking around nervously and sat on my other side. When the bartender came over I said, "Boilermaker and a glass of white wine for my friend."

I looked over at the countess and at the bowl of pretzels before her; the only difference was that inside they were a light red instead of white. In her hand was a crystal glass with a deep red wine. She caught me looking at her; it seemed as if her silver eyes, like pools of mercury on a white sea, had read my life's story in a moment. While her hair and dress were immaculate, her face was perfection. Even though my makeup was permanent and I knew I was a vision of beauty, I felt like an ugly duck next to this beautiful swan. She smiled and it was the whole room lit up. "Good evening, I don't believe I have seen you here before."

I smiled back, "Good evening to you also. No this is our first time here. My name is Samantha, and this is Angela. We are supposed to meet a friend here tonight." I realized I was babbling and shut up.

The countess said, "It is a pleasure to meet you Samantha," she tilted her head to both of us, "And you as well Angela." 'Hmmm,' obsidian thought, 'human and yet not.' She sipped her wine thoughtfully and then realized she hadn't introduced herself. "I apologize. Where are my manners, I am obsidian with a small o." She pushed the bowl of pretzels towards me. "Would you care for some blood pretzels?"

The bartender walked over with our drinks and set them down. "How much?" I asked

obsidian broke in, "Put it on my tab, Claus." Turning back towards Samantha and Angela, she smiled, "It will be my treat as your first visit to this... fine... establishment." obsidian quirked a grin as she spoke and held her glass up to me.

I touched my shot glass to her wine glass and said, "Only if you allow me to buy the next round." I tossed back the shot and set it down. The normal bar noise seemed to pick up after the countess's words, and life calmed down.

Angela moved to stand beside my stool and said in a quiet voice, "I would have never guessed a bar was here had I not seen it myself." She sipped at the wine as she looked around. "I had never seen a dog served in a bar before. Doesn't the health department give the owners problems?"

obsidian's smile grew wider. "We like to keep it low key here, where our kind can come and relax." She glanced over her shoulder at the dog and back at Angela, and winked at her. "Caitlin? She's not a dog any more than you are what you appear to be."

I was stunned. No one, other than Alvin, Jimmy and I, knew that Angela was an artificial person; yet, the woman we had just met was able to tell right off the bat. "How...how did you know?" I asked in a low worried tone.

obsidian reached out and touched Angela's chest with a delicate finger, "Its simple, no heart beat." She looked at me, "You on the other hand, are human but not." She looked thoughtful for a moment and I noticed the woman down the bar look towards us.

While obsidian carried herself as if she were royalty, the new woman moved as if she were a great cat, with each movement flowing into the next. Reaching us, she smiled and said, "Hello, I am Lady Darkness, but please just call me Lady D." She extended her hand, "You must be Angela." I saw that in her right boot top a dagger hilt extended. Looking at me, she tilted her head slightly and said, "Sam Spade. I have heard of your exploits. It is a pleasure to meet you at last."

obsidian looked at me with renewed interest, "So... you are the Samantha Spade. You have been the center of attention around here for some time."

You could have heard a pin drop in the bar at the mention of my name. As a private investigator, my main trick is not being recognized. That way I could go and get close to the target without anyone realizing it. Now I realized my cover was blown, "Center of attention?" I asked worried. From the corner of my eye, I noticed that Angela had set her glass down so that she could have her hands free.

obsidian rested her hand on top of mine, "Do not worry Samantha, no one will bother you here tonight, not while you are sitting with me." She looked up at Lady Darkness. "I am sure Lady D will agree that no one will try anything whilst we are here."

Lady D drew the great sword with one hand and held it up as she turned to face the men in the back, "They will have to go through me first."

obsidian smiled and nodded. "See?"

"With beautiful bodyguards like you three I could not be safer." I said. The noise level rose once more and the crisis had passed. Breathing a sigh of relief, I looked at the pinkish tint to the beer as I sipped. It was the foulest thing I had tasted, flat, warm and had a strange aftertaste. Making a face, I set it down and reached for a handful of pretzels to kill the taste and found they tasted even worse.

"Not to your liking?" obsidian said with a mischievous smile and a raised brow. "Pity," she said as she reached for another blood pretzel.

As Lady D slid the sword back into its scabbard, it made a hissing sound like an evil serpent. Turning back towards us, "There has been a pool on how long it would be before you showed up at our doorstep." She looked at the bartender and asked, "Who won?"

Claus turned and read a piece of paper next to the cash register. "Hmm, it seems to be a tie between Cynthia and obsidian." He turned back and extended a hand to the countess, "Congrats dear, this will just about cover your blood pretzel tab," he says laughing.

The bar erupted into quiet laughter, as obsidian winked at Claus and pushed the empty basket toward the bartender to refill. "Smartass," she said with mirth. Looking at me she asked, "So who was it you were supposed to meet tonight?"

"Cynthia," I replied. So, this meeting was nothing more than to win a bet, I thought to myself. By the looks of obsidian's, and Lady D's faces the same thought occurred to them. I pondered a moment, by their expressions I gathered that Cynthia would best be served by not showing up tonight. "I guess she is a no show," I said looking towards the door.

"If she knows what is good for her she had better be," one of them said softly.

Turning back, I smiled, "Well, I guess I will call it a night then. It was a pleasure to meet you both." As I shook obsidian's hand, "Thank you for the drink, perhaps I can return the favor someday." I turned to Lady D and shook her hand, "And you Lady, it was my pleasure to meet you." Angela only nodded to both, I was worried about her demeanor, she had never been anything but very friendly in the past and this was a change for her.

obsidian smiled and replied, "Perhaps you can at that," and licked her lips.

Lady D also smiled and held my hand a moment longer, "Please feel welcome to come back anytime. I would love to hear of your exploits first hand. If you could, please be sure to say hello to my chider...Arianne, when you see her outside." She paused and then added, "Just look for the corset." She and obsidian traded knowing smiles.

Not understanding I nodded and lead Angela back outside. When we are out on the steps Angela relaxed a little. "Sam, what do you think she meant by meeting," she started to say when a figure appeared on the steps in front of us. I don't know who was more surprised, her or us, and with a quick movement, Angela swept me behind her as if to protect me.

Pushing Angela's hand down I smiled, "Ahh you must be Arianne that your mother was referring to." I looked over the young woman and smiled. She was wearing a lovely old-fashioned corset made from red and black silk and a black skirt that was slit up the side. With each movement, it would slide open revealing a flash of a garter holding up her stockings. With her hazel eyes and long dark brown hair, she looked quite lovely.

I thought back for a moment, everyone in the bar, including the biker type in the back, were good looking, each in their own way. I do not know why but I instantly thought the woman's necklace would look good on Angela and serve as a reminder to her new status as a pet.

Arianne stopped herself from bumping completely into the two strangers. She glanced at them and smiled once she heard one of them speak of her mother. She nodded noticing one of them staring at her choker. She smiled and spoke, "You like it? It was a gift from my old family. I bet if you go to one of the many shops you may buy one that is close to this one I wear."

I smiled and nodded, "Forgive my staring; I will have to hunt about for one." I paused a moment, "Please forgive me, we know you but you do not know us. My name is Samantha and this is Angela."

Arianne looked over the two and noted something different, not like her but not human. She mused at that wondering what to say next. "I hope they did not spook you much in there, some do tend to be... unfriendly."

Laughing, "No, while the people in there were odd, no one was anything but friendly. Between Angela, obsidian with a small o, and your mother's sword, I was protected better than the president." I said in a lower tone, "Though I could have been poisoned. A note for you, don't drink the red beer or those awful pretzels that obsidian was inhaling."

"They are mostly good people, the lot of them." Arianne added and rolled her eyes at the mention of the sword. "Mom can be such a show off some times." She looked over Sam again and inputted. "No I don't think anyone would be so bold as to poison you or anyone in public. It's just not done that way." Her eyes lit up at the mention of the blood pretzels. They were a treat for obsidian and a delight to munch on when she was around. She noticed that they were leaving, as it dawned on her. "You are not staying.... Too bad, I would love to have a drink with you, perhaps another time. It's nice to see new faces about in this city." She offered another smile.

I grinned ruefully," We came to meet someone, and she did not show." I glanced at Angela before looking back at Arianne, "It seemed there was a pool on when we would show up and she won. Amazing coincidence isn't it?" Again, I looked at Angela, "Once everything is back as it should be," I turned back to the woman, "I would love to come back and have a drink with you and the others."

"Oh I heard about that... you must be that Sam Spade then." Arianne stopped herself from saying anything else and blushed just now understanding who they were. "Oh, sorry, I didn't mean it like that. It's just I usually don't pay attention in the bars when people talk." She frowned a bit and hoped Sam understood she meant no ill will.

I laughed, as she blushed. Resting my hand on her arm I said, "You should have seen the reaction in the bar when your mother realized who I was. You could have heard a pin drop." I became aware of how cool her skin was, "But forgive me. Here we are chatting and you are there freezing to death. Please have a good evening and tell your mother and obsidian with a small o," I smiled at that line, "I said thank you and a pleasure to meet both."

"Mother has that effect," Arianne had to chuckle at the assumption she was cold but went with it for now. She nodded and smiled. "I look forward to that time and the drink. I will be sure to let them know what you said."

Ari went to hug Sam but stopped herself. She felt ok with her but she was still an outsider and should not get close, or give away things she should not. She shook her hand and nodded. "Pleasure was mine as well." She stepped inside the bar and watched the door close on the pair and lingered there to watch them before going to her mother and the lady obsidian.

Once we were alone Angela said, "Sam..." I held up my hand and shook my head. We needed to be far away from this place before talking. There were a thousand questions in my mind as well as in Angela's; however, they would be better asked at home and behind closed doors.

Chapter 6

"Samantha, I don't think they were... normal" Angela said as we pulled into the driveway. Even though we were safely away, she still seemed on edge.

Glancing at her, "You can say that again." I said with a bark of laughter. "Yea, we need to talk about what we learned, but first, I need a drink to wash that nasty taste out of my mouth." I paused, "If I didn't know better I would have sworn I had split my lip open again." Entering the house, any thoughts I had of us discussing the evening alone in bed over a drink was lost in the sight that I beheld before me.

There, in the middle of the living room stood Jimmy wringing his hands and looking helpless. While kneeling on the floor around him, eleven women clung to each other looking wild eyed as they wailed in abject misery. "What is going on here?" I said loudly as stopped dead at the entrance.

As if moved by one hand they turned and looked at Angela, "Mistress," they cried, "Please make the nightmares go away."

I looked at her and started to laugh but stopped myself, "They are your pets, one and all, and it's your problem." Walking around them I went to the bottle and rather than pouring myself a shot, I upended the bottle. After that first swig, I looked across the sea of frightened women at Angela. She stood there looking from one face to the next as if not knowing whom to comfort first.

Angela looked at me and then down at the others, "I don't know how, only my mistress, Samantha can." She knelt at the doorway and reached out towards me, "Please mistress, help."

Again, as if moved by one hand, the women turned towards me, even Jimmy kneeled in amongst them. "Please mistress, help us," they all said.

"Sorry, I am not your mistress, remember? You all were in on that little story." I replied and set the bottle down turning my back to them. "However...." I said and paused before turning around to face them all once more. "If your mistress were to release you, then perhaps I would think about taking you back as my own once more." I stood there looking at Angela waiting for her answer, my eyes cold and hard. I had not forgotten how hurt I was earlier at the betrayal and now it was bubbling to the surface once more.

Angela broke eye contact and looked down, "Attend me, I release you, you are free once more to do as you please. I am not your mistress; I am only Samantha's pet, nothing more." She looked up at me across the room, "I hope she will one day forgive me the wrong I had done her."

"Perhaps one day," I said looking at her. I looked at the rest and said, everyone who would wish to be my pet please let me see your masks," I paused and added, "Your real masks." One by one, I watched as the masks flowed up through their skin; even Angela and Jimmy's masks came into view. I stood there with my hands on my hips and said, "I take you all as my own. My first command is I want to hear all of you say, I belong to Samantha Spade, now and forever." I paused as each said it, "When my mistress is unhappy I am devastated." Again, I paused, "Samantha Spade is my goddess, I am her pet, her slave, without her guiding hand, I am nothing."

Once they had finished I continued, "Now close your eyes and say the three lines over and over again, feel them sinking in and becoming your new reality. Do not stop until I tell you to." As the voices spoke in tune with each other, I turned and left them there. Even those words were not enough to fill the anger I felt at their betrayal. Going into the garage, I found some old nylon rope and cut it into pieces.

Walking back in, I listened to them speak for a time. "That's enough," I said, "open your eyes, stand and strip now." I smiled as they hurriedly all stripped down to skin. I went from one to the other and tied the pieces of rope around their necks. "This is your collar, you will never remove it," I said as I tied them on. Reaching Angela, I said once more, "never remove it." Turning back to the others, "When you have earned my trust once more you will be rewarded with something better."

123456...8