Sam Spade 05: Case of the Lost Girls

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Did you recognize them? Is there anything more you can tell me love?"

"No I did not recognize the two at the door. But the one behind the wheel of the police car is one of the men that work for Fat Johnny." She replied. I felt a burning anger deep inside, Fat Johnny had always been someone who I could count on. In the mess with Jojo he had even saved my life. I guess my face gave me away, "Samantha!" she said pulling me back to the present. "Think before you leap. Remember what happened last time you acted without thinking."

That last was a low blow. I felt the anger leave me in an instant. The last time I had acted without thinking I had caused Cindy's death. "Yes Angela, I remember," I said as I wiped a tear away.

"I'm sorry love, but you needed to be reminded." She said softly.

I bent down to kiss her, "Please help Jasmine help you." I said and turned away. I met Jasmine at the base of the stairs, "I know you will do your best dear, but there is one thing more. Is there a way to allow Angela's mind to grow more, to give her freer will?"

"Let me think on it mistress," Jasmine replied

Nodding I went inside, I needed to load for bear and I knew the bear I was going to drop. Other than Jasmine and uncle Alvin, the only other person who had any idea about Angela being an artificial personality was Fat Johnny. I could feel the rage growing inside me as I changed into my suit. Strapping on both shoulder holsters I grabbed Angela's 45 in addition to mine. Grabbing a hand full of clips, I put them in my pockets and headed out.

At the door, Heather and Ashley met me. Like me, they were also dressed and I could bet they were armed, "We are ready mistress." Heather said as Ashley nodded in agreement.

"You're not going," I replied.

"Mistress, Angela said you would say that. She also said that we were to remind you of her words to you," Heather said not moving. "We all discussed it Mistress, Heather and I are the best shots. Please let us help you," Ashley chimed in.

I knew I lost. If I said, "No," they would follow me and end up messing things over. "Ok but you have to do exactly what I say." They nodded in agreement and we got into the car. I really would have rather been alone; I did not want the girls to see what me kneecapping someone who used to be a friend.

"What's kneecapping?" Ashley asked.

Shit, I had been thinking aloud again. Glancing over at her, I said, "Kneecapping is when you shoot someone from the back of the knee forward. It blows the kneecap off and they never walk again. With the 45 though you can imagine what it does to the leg."

Heather's eyes got big, "You wouldn't really do that mistress, would you?"

"If he had anything to do with Frankie being taken or Angela being zapped, damn right I will. If he is lucky I will kill him fast." I said gripping the steering wheel hard "I would do that for any of you girls." I could see in the mirror them exchanging looks, "If you want out, I can drop you here and you two can catch a cab back to the house."

Heather spoke up, "No mistress. We will stay with you is if all the same with you." Her face was white as she gulped and added, "We have to protect each other mistress, Ashley and I won't let you down."

"Good girls," I said and patted Ashley's leg. Why all three of us were crammed into the front seat, I was not sure. "I am sure you two will do fine, just follow my lead." As we pulled up to Fat Johnny's restraint I saw that there were several police cruisers parked around it. "Wait here." I said as I stopped and got out.

Walking up like I belonged I saw a gold shield I knew, "Hey Fred, how's it going?" Fred Pulaski was an old friend and my pipeline into the police. It did not hurt that I had helped him prove that his wife had been having an affair for his divorce. With his sandy red hair and rugged good looks, it made me wonder why she had ever strayed. After he was separated, he and I had had a few tumbles in the sheets but it had never gone any further. He was too good a friend to loose. The thought crossed my mind that perhaps I should invite him over to dinner once this mess is over.

He looked at me and after a quick look around hugged me hard, "Sam, how the hell are you, girl?"

"Doing ok," I replied with an easy smile. While Fred was a good friend, I did not feel right letting him know I was planning to cause some mayhem. He might get noble feelings and ether talk me out of it or help. I had more than enough help as it is. "So what's up?" I asked nodding towards Fat's restaurant.

"Would you believe, someone wired one of his boy's hands behind his back and shot him in the back of the head. It's a real gangland style killing Sam." He said looking towards the front door. He then turned towards me, "You wouldn't know anything about it would you?"

"Who me? No, me and a couple of the girls from the office were coming out here eat lunch." I said and smiled. "So did Fat's do it?"

Fred pointedly looked at his watch, "Yea, lunch at 10 am." He looked towards the car and then back at me, "For once, I don't want to know." He glanced back at the door and then said, "No Fat's is missing, and no I don't think he did. I have heard a rumor that there is a new crew in town looking to muscle their way in. He looked at the door and said softly, "Keep your head down Samantha, this one is going to make that fiasco you covered up at the canning plant look like a picnic before it is over."

"Thanks Fred," I replied and headed back to the car. When I was seated, I noticed Fred standing by the window. Rolling it down I said "Something else dear?"

"Word on the street is there is a hit squad out looking to take care of loose ends Sam. You and Frankie are a loose end." Fred paused, "Go home, and keep your head down." Without another word, he stood and walked back to the restraint.

"Back to the house," I said as I put the car in gear.

Heather looked at the door as we passed the restaurant. "Mistress? What happened?" She asked looking at me.

I sighed, "Unless I am mistaken, someone killed the driver Angela saw this morning. It was ether, Don Bruce, Frankie's father, or Fat's when he found out what the man had been part of, or someone else who is cleaning up loose ends." I needed to go back and see what Angela thought. In addition, I was only half lying to Fred, I had not had anything to eat yet this morning and I was starved.

"We could go over and ask him mistress," Heather replied.

"Ask who?"

"Frankie's father, though I don't remember his name being Don. It was just Lenny and Sue when we had the house warming party for he and his wife," She replied as if it were a normal event.

Almost hitting a parked car, I replied," You know them; you had a house warming party for the most important man in the underworld in this city?"

"Oh sure they live in the next house down from us. You know the nice two story with lions flanking the front gate." She paused a second, "What do you mean underworld mistress?"

Ashley spoke up, "She means he is the king pin of anything illegal here."

"Yea..." I could not believe it. Don Bruce lived next door. What were the odds of that happening? "First let's go by the house and check on Angela and if there is any word about Frankie."

Pulling up to the front door, we saw that the door was open. Getting out and pulling my two pistols, I said softly. "Anyone you don't know who makes a hostile move, shoot first and ask questions later." This was the second time that I had come home with the house not being right. While the last time I ended up finding everyone in a bedroom, the door had not been standing open then. I decided the first chance we had I was going to get an alarm system.


Chapter 4

Going in fast and low I shot through the front door with Heather and Ashley behind. Motioning to my right for them, I headed to the left, into the living room. No one there, "Damn," I thought to myself. We worked our way through the house and met back at the kitchen. No signs of anyone else, nor were there any signs of struggles.

Looking towards the cellar door, I lead the way down. Perhaps they were downstairs. If that was the case, then someone was going to get an ass chewing. At the bottom step, I motioned that again, I would head left through the door and they were to go right. Opening it, I rolled through my pistols sweeping the empty isles. "Damn it," I said softly and then remembered the workroom behind the rug. Motioning for Heather to open the door I rushed in to see Jasmine working on Angela. "Where is everyone?" I asked, my voice coming out gruffer then I expected.

Jasmine looked up and dropped her tools, "Red! Don't ever do that again!" she yelled at me.

Even though I was upset and worried, it was nice to see Jimmy's mind had not changed along with his body. "I'm sorry dears." I said and walked over, "But the question remains, where is everyone? When we got home the front door was open." I walked over and picked up the wrench Jasmine had been using and said softly to her, "Please don't call me pet names in front of the other girls' baby, it will give them the wrong idea."

Jasmine looked down, "I'm sorry mistress, I forgot."

"So? Where is everyone?" I asked again.

"What do you mean mistress? They should be upstairs?" Angela said from the table.

I looked at Jasmine, "You didn't hear anything? Nothing?" She shook her head no. Turning to Heather and Ashley I said, "Ok, I need you to go through the house. Nice and slow, find what is missing, what is out of place." They nodded and started to leave, "Jasmine, go with them please."

"But what about?" she started to ask and then catching sight of my face nodded, "Yes mistress," and left with them.

I drug up a chair and sat next to Angela, "It seems the driver you saw this morning, was executed at Fat Johnny's restaurant before I could get there. According to Fred Pulaski, Johnny is nowhere to be found and not only that, there is a gang war going on." I sighed, and wondered what happened to the good old days of simple skip traces and lurking in the shadows to get a photo of someone cheating. "I thought at first it was Don Bruce come to take his wayward daughter home. But now, I don't know."

"You'll do fine love," I heard Angela say softly. "You always do."

"Not always," I said and looked between my feet. "Not always."

"You are lucky I cannot move, otherwise I would slap you silly," she said her voice stronger. "I am only going to say this once Samantha, so please pay close attention." I stood and bent over her face so I could see her face and expression clearly, "Cindy's death was not your fault. She died because she got careless. You did not kill her Samantha Marie, no more than I did." All throughout she did not blink it was as if her eyes bored two holes into my soul.

"Now we all love you very much, and would die for you. But mark my words mistress," she paused and said with a smile, "If we have to listen to you play the pity Samantha song again, we will turn you over our knees and each one of us will spank you so long you will NOT be able to sit for a week. Do you understand?" She blinked slowly, "Now a change of subject before Jasmine comes back."

At first, I was shocked, and then mad, then much to my chagrin excited. The thought of having a spanking party might not be that bad at all. "Yes ma, I'll be good," I said meekly in response and stuck my tongue out at her. "What else did you want to discuss while we are alone?"

"Why did you ask Jasmine to change my programming? Do you not want me anymore?" She said with her eyes closed. As I watched, a single tear rolled off her closed eyes.

I reached down and caressed her face, "No love, not that at all. I wanted you to have free will. I wanted you to be able to grow." I said softly.

I did not realize she could move until I felt her hand come up and caress my hair. Her voice was filled with emotion as she begged me, "My will is to be just as I am Samantha. I want to be yours, your love, your soul mate, the woman who kneels at your feet worshiping you. That is all I want. Please don't make me change. Please Woody?"

"As you wish darling, I will tell Jasmine to never mind." I said turning my face into her hand and kissing the palm. Noting they had not come back yet I pulled Angela's 45 and pressed it into her hand, "just in case." Receiving a nod, I eased out the door. Going back upstairs, I found them looking at a piece of paper sitting on the kitchen table as if it were a snake. Holstering the 45 I looked at the paper. On it was written a phone number and nothing else.

"It was sitting on the mantle in the living room Mistress," Ashley said not looking up.

"Ok thank you." I said as I picked up the paper. "Oh Jasmine, two things," I looked at her and made eye contact, "That thing I asked you about this morning. I discussed it with Angela and no longer want you to do it. Also, be sure you let her know it is you coming through the door. She had her 45 now and is a tad edgy." Setting the paper back down I said, "Orders, Jasmine I need Angela at least able to be partiality functional, even if that means all she can do is sit in a wheelchair and shoot."

Jasmine looked down and said, "I don't know if I can do that mistress. I need Alvin's help."

I looked at her and thought, "Call him, explain the problem with Angela and let's get him out here pronto."

Not moving she pulled at her lip as she thought, "But he does not know me mistress. How do I get him to listen?"

I loved to see the old Jimmy come through in her new look. With him, pulling at his lip seemed silly; with Jasmine, however it seemed erotic. I smiled, "Honey, with your voice and face, he will listen as long as you talk. If he balks at coming, then I will call and talk to him."

I turned to Heather and Ashley, "I want every door bolted, every window locked, all the shades pulled. As of right now all who ever took everyone knows, is that I am alone. Let's keep it that way." I rested my hands on Heather and Ashley's shoulders "Do just as I say dear pets and everything will come out ok." Once the place is bolted up tight, please make a light lunch. I will be in the study." Picking up the paper I watched as my three girls headed to their assignments before going to the study and closing the door behind me.

Sitting down at the desk, I leaned back in the chair and lit a cigar. I preferred smoke sticks and after catching the smell of it, I could see why Heather's mother had disliked them. Nevertheless, I needed something to do with my hands and it seemed the right thing to do. Punching up the number, I leaned back as it rang. The face that answered was not the one I expected. I had expected it to be Don Bruce; he had to be behind taking Frankie.

Instead of him, Fat's answered the phone. "Spade, I can explain." He said in a low hurried voice as he kept looking around, "Please meet me where I dropped you off the last time I gave you a ride." With that said, he disconnected.

Though I redialed, I got the message that the phone number I called was temporarily out of service. Sitting back, I rolled the cigar in my fingers and thought. Fat Johnny had only given me a ride once and then he dropped me off at the employee's entrance at Mercy Hospital. I knew I had to go; I had to find out what was going on. Why had he had a hand in zapping Angela? Fat Johnny had to know I would go after them. If that was the case, then why did he leave a number for me to call?

Heather walked in as I was thinking. Coming over to me, she inhaled deeply and smiled, "I love the smell of daddy's cigars, thank you, mistress." Leaning over to kiss my cheek she added, "Lunch is ready and house is locked up tight."

Looking for an ashtray, I did not see one, so I followed her back to the kitchen with the cigar. When we entered the kitchen, Ashley and Jasmine were sitting at the small table waiting for my entrance so they could start eating. As I came in they looked up and Jasmine piped up, "I didn't know you smoked cigars mistress."

Ashley added, "Smells nice though and does look good with the suit and fedora."

"Sure does," Jasmine agreed. "Alvin is on his way. He is flying in from London mistress and will not be here until five am tomorrow morning."

I looked around and puffed on the cigar. The smell and taste were starting to grow on me. While I still would rather have a smoke stick, it seemed the girls liked these better. For them I would have to change my habits. "Ok assuming I do not have everyone else back by then, Jasmine you and Ashley will pick him up at the airport. While he is here, I want you three to wear clothes." I looked at Heather, "You have to hold down the fort." As I sat down I said, "Is there an ashtray in this house?" the ash on the cigar was getting long and I did not want it to fall to the floor.

Heather hurried over to one of the cabinets and opened the door. Inside were a stack of ashtrays and boxes of wooden matches. She smiled sheepishly as she brought me one, "Though momma did not like daddy smoking, we did have parties and she had to put ashtrays though out the house."

"Setting the cigar down I said, "Please make sure every room has an ashtray and matches after lunch Heather." A part of me wanted to run out the door to the hospital but I knew that if it was a trap the longer I waited the better my chances were. With that in mind, I ate lunch.

Heather's face brightened up as she replied, "Yes mistress."

After I had finished eating I headed downstairs. I needed to grab more than just my 45 for this little road trip. I looked at the items that they had brought from Jasmine's house and saw an old Thompson submachine gun sitting off to the side. I was drawn to it like a fly to honey. While I had never fired one I had heard about their stopping power. They used the same massive bullet that my pistol did.

Jasmine came down the stairs and stood by me, "No mistress, you don't want that."

I looked at her, "Why not?"

She took and hefted it, "Once you add the drum magazine it is too heavy. You end up using it like a hose and wasting your rounds just so you can be rid of the weight." Setting it back down in the pile she picked up what looked like a shot gun with a short barrel and a hand grip instead of a stock. She handed it to me and smiled, "This is what you want if you need to move fast."

I took the shotgun and marveled at the weight. It only weighed a little more than the 45 did. "How many rounds?" I asked looking at it.

"Eight in the pipe and one in the chamber for a total of nine," Jasmine replied as she handed me a box of shells. As I started to take them, she held on to the box a moment before letting go. "Samantha, please be careful."

"Always dear," I said and kissed her. "I will also need your 45," I said as I started loading the shotgun. "And a sling or something so I don't have to carry this all the time." She picked through her supplies and came up with a sling for the shotgun so I could drop it and it would hang at my side just below the pistol. Then Jasmine took her 45 and handed it to me. I still had the spare clips so I did not need more of them.

At the front door, I gave my final instructions. "Don't let anyone in other then a sister and even then if it seems something is not right." They just stood there and looked at me with worried expressions. "Don't worry pets; I have handled bigger problems then this before." I said and went down to the car. As I started it, I looked at them, three beautiful girls all standing side by side with tears rolling down their cheeks watching me.

I said softly, "What do you three know that I don't?" as I drove towards the meeting with Fat's.

Chapter 5

Pulling into the employee's parking lot at the hospital, I stopped by the doors and looked around for his car or some vehicle flashing its lights at me. Frankly, I had never met someone in a public place before and I was not sure how it would go down. "At least if there is any shooting, we are close to a hospital," I said to myself. Suddenly the back right passenger door opened and I saw Fat Johnny dive in. I looked back at him, he looked as if he had been drug behind a horse at full gallop. He always, in the past, had prided himself on wearing expensive silk suits and Italian leather shoes. Now, even a homeless person was better dressed then he was.