Sam Spade 09: Case of the Lady in White

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I don't know if you can understand Sam," Arianne said looking at me. "I can hear her calling franticly for help. Mother feels close and yet at the same time far away." Her face screwed up as she tried to put thoughts into words, "It is almost like we are talking in a cave and the echoes cause our voices to be further away than they really are."

I looked at my notes, and thought not enough information here. "Ok, I need her home address, the name of the last person who saw her. I will need access to servants or anyone who may be awake in daylight hours." I thought a moment and said, "Can you get me something she has worn lately?" The thought crossed my mind that perhaps Kitten and Tigress could try tracking her.

As she answered, I scribbled down the info and said finally, "Ok, that's enough to start on. I need two more things." I looked at her and said, "I need a way to contact you and if you can think of anything else let me know." I turned to Angela and added, "I am sure you will be put right through to me without delay." Angela nodded.

Arianne gave me a cell number and stood, "Please hurry Sam, her voice is getting weaker and I do not know what I would do without..." her voice trailed off as she wiped at a red tear.

Standing I nodded, "I will dear." Before I could continue, she nodded and left almost too fast to see. I felt the room spinning and said softly, "But first I need some rest." Leaning against the desk, I looked in Angela's direction, "Thank you, all of you for covering for me."

I smiled at Kitten, "Good Kitten protecting momma." I felt the world graying out around the edges and said with a goofy grin, "I'm going to pass out now." As I fell forward, I felt Angela and Kitten catch me.

I could hear Angela saying, "I knew it, I knew it."

I woke as they were tucking me back into the bed. "I need..." I said as I struggled to get up.

"No," Angela said sternly. "You need a good night's sleep Mistress."

Jasmine came up holding a needle and gave me a shot in the arm before I could protest more. Wiping the injection with a rubbing alcohol she said, "I'm sorry Mistress but it's for your own good."

I started to ask what was for my own good when I felt the warmness spread from the injection through my body. Before I knew it, I had dropped into a deep dreamless sleep.

Chapter 3 - Kitten's viewpoint

I looked on as Momma's girls put her to sleep. I expected them to jump on the case and start figuring what to do. Instead, they all crowded in and watched over her as if she was a dying animal and they were vultures. Finally, Angela shooed everyone other than Jasmine out and the pair stood vigil not talking. I could feel my tail lashing out, as I became more frustrated, "Momma sleep? What about find Lady?" I asked finally.

Jasmine did not look up nor speak. Finally, after a few minutes Angela said, "Sam can turn down the case. It's not like it someone important."

I was dumbfounded. I knew Momma would never turn down a case. It did not matter to her if the person was important or not. "Angela knows better. Momma takes case to find Lady. When momma wake up she work till she drops."

Jasmine looked at me and nodded, "She's right Angela, you know Red as well as I."

I knew that my time playing the part of the slow speaking and simple-minded cat were over. Part of what made me fall in love for my human now was cause for alarm. Momma was like a jungle cat on a trail. She would drive herself to the point of exhaustion to find her prey. I would have to take control of the house while Momma was sick. It seemed no one else was willing or able to.

Looking across to Angela I said, "You, call Arianne and explain that Samantha is sick and cannot start until tomorrow evening. Ask her to bring a sample of her mother's clothing tomorrow as soon as she can make it." She looked at me in surprise not replying. Always in the past, I had referred to myself in third person and kept it simple. Now though, I knew I would have to take charge and break cover for momma's sake. When she made no move to comply, I stared at her hard and added, "Now Angela, I will not ask twice." Even though she was not like the others Angela looked away from my stare and nodded.

As she went to the phone I stared at her. Jasmine's voice broke my attention on Angela, "You, you can talk?"

I looked at Jasmine, my tail thrashing, "Of course I can talk. Just because I say Kitten loves her momma, does not mean I cannot speak properly." I added in Latin, "Bardus barbarus."

Jasmine's eyes got large, "Hey now, just because I am not as old as you is no reason to call me stupid or a barbarian."

I felt the anger rolling off her and realized with a shock that she indeed was not stupid or perhaps as uncultured as I had supposed. "простиньте мне" I said in Russian, bowing my head slightly.

"Of course I forgive you Kitten," Jasmine said reaching across the bed to touch my paw. She looked at momma and her smile faded.

Darn it, she surprised me once more. I caught a hint of Jasmine's thoughts. She was more worried then she showed or let anyone else know. While I could not find out what she was worried about in her mind, I knew something was very wrong with Momma. I caught hold of Jasmine's arm and asked quietly, "What's wrong with Momma?"

"Nothing, just exhaustion." She replied.

I pulled her away from the bed, my paws gripping her arms and claws pinpricking her skin. In a low growling voice, I said, "Don't lie to me. I know something is wrong." She struggled a moment, but suddenly went weak in my arms as she gave up.

"I don't know, Kitten." She said as the walls in her mind fell and she let the worry and fear wash over me. "Samantha should be fine."

"What do you mean?" I asked confused. Jasmine was Momma's doctor and should know all there was about her and how to make her better.

Jasmine looked at me through her tears and said in a strained voice, "I don't know what's wrong with her. She should not be weak; Sam's muscles are not made like that." Her voice took on a tone of frustration as she added, "I don't know how to fix her."

I felt Jasmine's worry and fear all the way to the tip of my tail. She really did love momma with all of her heart and was blaming herself for failing. While I thought the same thing, I would never say it. She was blaming herself more fully than anyone else could. I caught a stray thought in her mind, "Alvin? What does he have to do with Momma?" I asked.

Jasmine looked at me in surprise, "I thought you knew he built her. But..." she looked away. "They are not talking anymore and he would not come even if I begged."

"He will come." I said. I released my hold on her and nuzzled her face with mine. "Don't worry Jasmine, Alvin will come even if I have to drag him kicking and screaming all the way." Her face brightened up and I felt a faint glimmer of hope light in her mind. "Have everyone meet me in the living room in 30 minutes." As she nodded, I fixed Alvin in my mind and started jumping looking for his scent.

It took a while but I caught his scent and tracked it down to a small-darkened room. He was in bed asleep and seemed rather surprised when I shook him awake. I always find it funny how slow a human's response is. I was able to catch his hand within a few inches of him reaching for something in the nightstand.

It was not until I turned on the light that he calmed down. "Momma sick, Alvin come fix." I said in my kitten voice.

Alvin looked up at the cat woman sitting on the side of his bed. "How did you find me?"

I sighed, "Not important, Momma sick and Alvin must come home to fix."

He sat up in bed and looked at me, "What do you mean sick when I called last she was fine."

I shook my head, "No, Momma sick. She shot here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, and here." I touched his chest, belly with each word, and ended with the one shot that hit her forehead. "Momma sleep long time and just wake up. Momma mind is ok, but her body not. Jasmine not fix properly, scared."

I could feel the worry in him grow with each shot and by the time I finished I knew he would come. "Ok Kitten, tell Samantha I will be there as soon as I can."

I left him there and went back to Momma. I checked her, caressing her face and feeling her mind at peace before going to talk to her daughters. When I walked into the living room, everyone was standing around talking about Momma's condition. As I moved across the room, they quieted down and their silence transcended quiet when I sat and tucked my legs up under myself on Momma's chair.

Everyone looked at Angela as if expecting her to speak but after another staring contest, she kneeled on the floor before me. As I looked around the other girls were at first shocked and then knelt. The last was Tigress who looked at me in surprise as if seeing me for the first time before she shifted into cat form and crawled into Angela's lap for comfort.

"Momma is sick. Something is wrong with her and we will have to help her solve this case." I said. If I could have smiled, I would at their feelings of shock at my ability to talk more adult then I had in the past. I looked at Jasmine, "Alvin is coming to help."

Jasmine whispered a soft "Thank goodness" and her spark of hope flowed from girl to girl.

I looked at Heather; I knew what she was going to ask before she did. "You are wondering why I can talk normally instead of like a baby." She looked surprised and nodded. "I am Momma's baby and because I know it pleases her for me to be her baby I will talk as she wishes. However, now I must talk clear to you so that you understand." I looked at Angela and added, "Regardless what anyone thinks. All cases that Momma takes are important." She looked down feeling the weight of my stare and others thoughts.

Looking back around I said, "I had hoped you would be able to carry on without me speaking up." I shook my head, "Since you have not I find I must pick up the mouse that momma has dropped on our laps." I looked at Sue Ann, "You will hack into Lady's accounts and see if you can find anything out of the ordinary." I worked my way down the list I had thought of that Momma would follow. I knew I was leaving something out but it was not until much later that I realized how important it was.

Crystal, Heather, and Jade were to go and look at Lady's house. While Angela would question people that she knew about Arianne's mother. I sent Tigress to go with Angela simply because I knew she had bonded with her as her human. I wondered if Angela realized it yet.

Looking at Jamie I knew what her job would be. While at the house, she would be in charge of pushing momma around in her wheelchair. I explained what I wanted of her and after a hurried conference, she happily agreed. She would pretend she was an android while in public while pulling Momma in a cart. In the meantime, she had to work out and get into shape.

Once everyone had their assignments I said, "With luck we will have a good handle on everything by the time momma wakes up this evening for her meeting with Arianne." I looked around the room, "One last thing" I paused unsheathing my claws, "Momma is not to know of my language skills from anyone of you."

As I expected Angela spoke up, "Kitten. I cannot and will not lie to Samantha."

"I do not ask you to lie Angela, I ask you not to volunteer information. I will speak to her of it myself." I said. Without further discussion, I got up, hurried back to Momma, and cuddled with her.

Chapter 4 - Sam's viewpoint

I woke to the smell of chili so hot it makes your nose hairs curl when you catch a whiff. I opened my eyes to see Heather walk over with a tray. On it was the bowl of chili, crackers, and a big glass of milk. As I sat up, she said, "Good evening Mistress, feeling better?" as she set the tray down on my lap.

I looked at the food, my mouth watering, "Yes thank you, Heather." While I do not nominally drink milk, even it looked good. Spooning a little onto a cracker, I ate it. The chili was so hot it made my eyes water. I gasped a few times and gulped the milk. "Perfect Heather," I said seeing her look of worry. "I like my chili spicy and you got it just right."

I noticed off to one side was a pair of figures facing the wall and kneeling. Both had what looked like blankets covering them and Tigress was curled in a ball next to one. Looking back at Heather I raised an eyebrow in question. "Jasmine and Angela waiting your judgment for drugging you," She said as if she were discussing the weather.

Nodding in understanding, I continued eating. I knew I needed to deal with their handiwork but in the same token I knew Jasmine did what she thought she had to for my best interests. Had they not I would have gone out and started looking for Lady. I was vexed that I had lost a whole day and yet, I did feel better after having slept. Finishing the chili, I handed the tray to Heather.

Looking at Kitten curled up at the foot of the bed sound asleep I hesitated to wake her but needed time to talk to Jasmine and Angela alone. Finally waking her, I asked her to gather up Tigress and both leave so that I could talk to the pair, "Momma no be mad at daughters. Daughters did right thing." I could hear her voice in my head.

Once I was alone with Jasmine and Angela, I commanded them to remove the blankets and face me. Once they were standing I said, "I do not know what to do. On one hand, thank you for the shot and letting me rest." I paused a moment, "And yet, I have now lost a day. I, no, we, took a case to find a missing person." I could tell they had yet to understand. "Had it been I missing would you spend a day sleeping instead of searching?" I asked.

Angela's head popped up, "Of course not Mistress."

"What if one of your sisters was missing then?"

She shook her head, "No mistress we would not."

"So how is someone else's mother missing different?" I asked.

Jasmine said in a low voice not looking up, "She is not."

"So because of you giving me a shot, we have lost a day."

Jasmine finally looked up to meet my eye, "Not true Red. We spent the day doing the background work that you would have assigned us normally."

I can always tell when Jimmy pops out from Jasmine. He always calls me Red instead of mistress. Generally, he does so when I am making a mistake and it is his way of slapping my wrist. I looked at Angela for conformation and saw her nodding, "Yes mistress, we have much to report for you. I also called Arianne and explained you were not well and set up an appointment for her to come this evening as soon as she can."

I was impressed. After they had spent six months doing nothing while I was in a coma they turn around and slip me a Mickey and carry on doing what I would have had them do. "Well," I said thinking. "That does put a different spin on things. Thank you both then."

I opened my arms and they flowed into them. Sharing a joint hug, kiss, and nuzzle I forgave my sweet girls. When we had broken it off I asked, "What did you learn?"

They looked at each other a moment and Angela said, "I will gather the girls in the living room so they can give their reports."

As she left Jasmine remained sitting on the edge of the bed and looked down, "Red, there is something we must discuss first."

"What can be more important than finding Lady?" I replied

"You," She said. She looked up and took my hand, "Mistress, something is wrong with you. You should be well, fit as a fiddle." Jasmine looked down and I could see tears rolling down her cheeks. In a calm clinical voice, she continued, "Instead you are getting weaker. From running projections of your current condition..." her voice broke as she said, "You will be permanently wheelchair bound within a matter of days." I pulled Jasmine into a hug holding her tightly as she sobbed, "I'm sorry Samantha. I don't know what's wrong."

"Is there nothing you can do?" I asked as I stroked her hair. I was devastated but Jasmine was more important then I. No matter how I felt, I resolved not to show it.

"Kitten went to get Alvin and said he is coming." She replied. "I don't know how but she convinced him."

I smiled softly despite the shock I was feeling, "Knowing Kitten, it involved claws."

Despite her tears, Jasmine giggled. "Yes, Kitten can be very direct." She sat up wiping at her tears. "Jamie will be your legs. We purchased a cart and trailer today so that she can pull you around in it or push you in a wheel chair as needed."

I opened my mouth to protest but shut it instead and thought. It was an elegant solution. I knew Jamie was feeling left out now that she was covered in fur and had a lovely tail. She would make a wonderful way for me to get around in. "What a wonderful idea. I love it." I said smiling. I went to get up and found I could hardly stand. "Um, do you think you could help me to the bathroom Jasmine?" I asked.

Jasmine did better than that. She smiled and within a minute the girls swarmed into the room. Just as the night before, they pampered me, cleaning me, tucking me into a latex unitard and finally my suit. Finally, Angela helped me put on my shoulder holster and tucked dad's old 45 into its slot.

The crowning moment was when Jamie came up pushing the wheel chair in front of her. She was wearing her harness, pony boots, and had an ostrich plume on the top of her head. She came around to the front of the chair and helped me into it. "Where to mistress?" she asked.

"Living room please," I replied with a smile.

Reaching the living room, Jamie wheeled me to my old easy chair and helped me into it. I expected the other girls to help her; instead, they all stood back and watched. Once I was seated, she pushed the wheelchair to one side and knelt beside it. "Thank you dear," I said looking at her. I made a mental note to see if Alvin could give her real pony hooves that she wanted. Failing that, I knew I could talk to Jason and Maradith and see if the offer to help was still good.

As the rest of the girls settled in, I watched as Tigress went and jumped into Angela's lap. "I see you and Tigress have bonded," I said to Angela. She looked down in surprise at Tigress. Before she could speak I added, "I am glad for you two." I really was glad that Angela had Tigress. She needed a child to take care of just as I found I needed Kitten.

Looking around at the girls I said, "So what did you find out?"

Sue Ann stood and picked up a pad. Referring to it she said, "Lady Darkness, also known as Lady Angela Delamarco." She paused and looked at me, "Lady is her given first name. Anyways, she does not have a checking or savings account. She does not use credit cards and everything that is purchased is paid for with cash. However, I have found that she owns a sizeable section of old town. The properties are funneled through several dummy corporations."

Taking a breath Sue Ann continued, "It seems that she must have some type of vault in the house to hold all her funds. I believe it is in excess of one hundred million in cash and bullion." Looking up from the pad Sue Ann said, "I found one more interesting item. She is not paying any utilities on her house."

Jade said softly, "That makes sense."

I looked at her, "Jade?"

Standing Jade looked at Crystal, and Heather, "Crystal, Heather and I went to check out her house." She paused and said looking at Sue Ann, "She does not pay utilities because she does not have any." Looking back at me she explained, "Mistress, her house is something out of a medieval time, candles, lanterns, and torches lighting the place. For that, matter there is a well in a central covered courtyard."

Heather spoke up, "We were met by a servant who called himself Blaine. After explaining who we were, he gave us a tour of the house and allowed us to question the other members of the household."