Sam Spade 09: Case of the Lady in White

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Jade took over, "We agreed to talk to the employees separately and compare their stories. Everyone had an ironclad alibi for the time in question so that leaves someone outside the household as the perp."

Crystal smiled, "While Jade and Heather were keeping everyone busy I checked out the house, mainly the rooms that Blaine did not show us." She seemed to look of into the distance and said, "I found several safes though out the house, after opening them I found that nothing seemed to be out of the order other than the surprising amount of cash stored. There were old love letters in one and several documents but nothing interesting or pertinent to the case. I also found a hidden room with a coffin." She shrugged, "I guess the stories of vampires and their coffins are true."

Heather nodded, "The house is clean mistress. The only thing out of the ordinary was that the next morning after Lady had vanished, Blaine noticed a wet spot on ground at the front door. I tried to get a sample but the rain the other night had washed away any chance of recovery."

I was impressed, "Well done, anything else to report?"

As the three sat down Angela stood holding Tigress in her arms. "Tigress and I took a walk to get a feel of the area and have a friendly chat with people. From what we found out, the worst anyone said about Lady Darkness was that she had a tendency to be old fashioned." She shook her head, "We could not find anyone who might have a grudge against her."

"Ok thank you all. I am very proud of you." I looked at Angela as she sat back down, "What time do you expect Arianne to get here?"

"She said that she would get here as soon as it was dark enough for her to travel. I would expect that to be within the next hour or so with travel times involved." Angela replied.

I caught sight of a movement out of the corner of my eye, "or less." I said as I turned my head to see Arianne standing at the doorway. "I am glad you could make it Arianne."

Chapter 5 - Kitten's viewpoint

Momma impressed me by noticing Arianne's entrance before I did. Of course I was snoozing on her lap while her daughters submitted their reports. Arianne stood in the doorway framed by the hall light, her skin looked paler then usual and in her hands was clutched a paper bag. Now that I was calm, I could tell she was worried about finding her mother.

She and momma were dawdling, exchanging talk instead of dealing with the matter at hand. I never do understand human's ways. 'Why waste words when a nuzzle works so much better?' I asked Tigress in my mind. Her reply was a smile and mental shrug. When Arianne opened the bag, I caught a scent I had not smelt in a long time. The smell had been tugging at my mind from the moment she entered but I had not paid attention.

Bounding from momma's lap, I transformed in mid leap and took the bag from the vampire's hands. Pulling the cloth out, I held it to my face. 'Could it be? It was her!' my mind raced. I looked into Arianne's angry face and said, "Your mother name Lady?" She nodded not speaking. I looked at momma and then back to Arianne. I touched my paw to her shoulder and said softly, "I find momma for you." Turning back into cat form, I started searching. I would blink to a new place as a cat and sniff. My body was on automatic while my mind was miles away.

A long time ago, the bad woman who changed me from a simple cat to what I am now had been searching for the elixir of life. Up until now, I had managed to block out the memories of those terrible years with her. She would hurt me and then watch, cackling gleefully as my body mended itself.

Catching Lady's scent, I found myself at a large house. Passing through the closed doors, I hurried through the house. Lady's scent permutated everything, however it was old scent not fresh. Several humans were chasing after me trying to catch me. One in particular seemed to know where I was going to be before I even made the move.

The tainted human cornered me, his arms spread as to catch me if I tried running around him. I thought briefly about blinking to a new place but decided he knew where Lady was and would tell me everything he knew. Transforming I crouched low and hissed at him. Growling I said, "Where Lady?"

Instead of being intimidated by my actions, the longhaired young man stood upright and smiled, "A ware, I should have known." He cracked his knuckles and said, "You picked the wrong house to break into," and rushed me.

While he was strong and fast, I was faster. He managed to get a few good hits in and I felt ribs crack. However, when we were finished, he lay on his back on the floor, my paw gripping his neck and claws digging into his flesh. "Who you? Where Lady?" I growled as I gave him my hardest stare. My mind tried to look inside but he was shielded too well.

"Blaine," he gasped and stared up at me with murder in his eyes. Even though I had wounded and beat him, he showed no fear. When this was over, I would sing a song in his honor. Even though he was a bad man and hurt Lady, he was a worthy opponent.

Tightening my grip, I growled, "Tell me where Lady is and death will be fast." He looked up at me not speaking defiantly. I squeezed tighter watching as his eyes bulged and face turned red. His mental walls crumbled as his mind went dark. Releasing him I stared at him in surprise, "You not know where she is. You are devoted to her." I felt my confusion mirrored in him as we both realized we were on the same side. "Must find Lady, debt to pay," I said as I turned and bounded away.

"Wait," Blaine said.

Stopping I turned to him.

"What debt?" he asked as he sat up, one hand pressing against the deep gashes I had left on his chest.

"Life," I said softly. Turning away from Blaine, I transformed and went back to my search.

When the bad woman burned alive, I became a hunted animal. All of her other creations were tracked down and destroyed leaving me alone. I came across a young girl one day when the hounds were closing in and took a chance. I said to her mind, "Help me."

The young girl picked me up and held me in her arms. When the men and hounds found us, she defended me telling them that I had been with her as a kitten and her, "Midnight." Though they did not believe her, the men dared not do anything. My rescuer was the daughter of the lord and lady of the region.

She took me home with her and kept me safe. I never to talked to anyone else or dare to transform. Even Lady, as I found out her name to be, did not know I was anything more than a cat who could talk to her in her head. Over time, we became best friends. Her parents did not like the fact that she had picked up a stray. With her help, I won them over. We became as one, you never saw Lady, without her trusty Midnight beside her.

At last, I had found her scent. It was weak and faded in and out with the breeze but it was better than random searching. Running full out, I followed the trail, stopping only when it faded with the wind. Then, as it returned, I ran with my mind focused on the task of finding Lady, only to find my way blocked by three large wolves. A forth stood watching from the side.

Try as I might they blocked me from running around them. I dared not blink for fear of losing her trail and stood my ground. Transforming I felt my heart sink as they also transformed. "Well what do we have here? A little lost kitty." The leader said as the other two spread around to encircle me.

"Let me pass," I said my voice low.

"Not until me and the boys have some fun," the leader replied. "Of course you may give us a hairball when we finally shit you out," he added laughing. His laughter echoed by the other two while the forth smiled.

I always have believed that if you are outnumbered and unable to escape, attack. In a lightning fast move, I launched myself at the leader; my claws raked his eyes and blinding him. I used him as a springboard and turned to attack the second one, catching him unawares. Just as I reached him, I felt the third man grab me from behind pinning my arms to my sides.

His arms tightened squeezing the breath from me and making me scream with pain. His foul carrion breath hissed, "I going to break you in two."

The second man stood and moved close in front of me. Without out thinking my legs came up and my hind claws raked his belly ripping through his skin and spilling his guts. With a scream, he fell back trying to hold himself together. The man holding me squeezed harder and I could hear and feel the sharp snapping sounds of my ribs breaking. My world became a red filled haze of pain.

A sharp sound and the man threw back his arms releasing me. Falling to the ground, I curled into a ball mewing in pain. I could not let them win I had to find Lady. I rolled over and made my way painfully to my hands and knees. It was then that I saw Momma standing there with her gun drawn, behind her stood everyone else, including Arianne.

The third attacker launched himself at her but with a roar of her pistol, she shot his legs dropping him to the ground. She walked up and looked down at him, "Nobody fucks with one of mine."

He snarled up at her, "You're dead bitch. You can't kill me."

She dropped to one knee and said as she thrust the barrel under his chin, "That's true; this is just copper and lead. But let's find out how well you regenerate without a brain." I closed my eyes, turned my head, and heard the sharp report. I was shocked, I knew momma was protective, but had never seen how ruthless she could be.

I shook my head, "You missed?" I heard Angela say.

Looking back at Momma, I saw that indeed she had angled the barrel away and shot next to the man's chin instead of through it. In that moment, I felt more close to her then anyone, even Lady who had been my friend so many years ago. She looked at him and said softly, "If I ever see you again..." I watched as the three scrambled to their feet and as the forth joined them stagger away.

Momma came to me and nuzzled my cheek, "Are you ok Kitten?"

"Momma save kitten," I said purring. I winced, even purring hurt. It felt as every breath I took; someone was poking me with a sharp stick. "Must find Lady," I said nuzzling her one more time before switching back to cat form. The scent of the men and their blood overwhelmed all other smells and I had to walk a way down the street to get clear of it. Almost at once, I caught her scent once more and started following it.

Lady was well into her early adulthood when I last saw her, I remember that day as if it was yesterday. "Oh Midnight, dad and I get to go to the capital to meet the king," She cried happily to me. She explained that they would have to travel by carriage for several weeks and that it would be best if I stayed.

It was not until they had gone that her mother had come and taken me out for a ride. We often would go as a family and have a day where Lady and I could frolic and play while her parents watched on with smiles. When we reached our place, she got out with me following. She sat down on the leaves without a blanket under her and I crawled into her lap.

"Midnight," she said as she stroked my fur. "I know you must be near your time, it has been fifteen years from when Lady brought you home and you became a part of our family." She paused and then said those fateful words, "Now it is time for you to leave." I looked up at her. "A wild cat such as you should not spend your remaining days locked up in a house. You deserve better than that." She lifted me to her chest and hugged me. Looking into her eyes, I could see the tears filling them and feel the hurt in her mind. She believed she was doing the right thing.

Setting me down she stood looking at me a moment before saying, "Goodbye Midnight." With those two words, she left. As her carriage rolled back to the manor, I briefly thought about blinking and beating her to the house. Instead, I turned away never to see my friend Lady again.

The further I traveled the stronger the scent became. I found myself at an unfinished wooden bridge that humans use to catch fish on. Her scent was coming from under it. Shuddering I jumped into the water and followed it under the bridge towards the shore. Reaching the rocky edge of the waterline, I saw several long things wrapped in plastic. Approaching I realized the scent was coming from one of them.

Clawing through one end, I saw Lady. Though she looked older, I recognized her, my best friend looking pale and gray, her skin stretched taunt over her face as if someone had put a small skin over a large skull. Transforming I cradled her head in my lap and howled at the loss. My cries attracted other cats and soon the world was filled with our song of mourning. I knew momma would find me and we would be able to lay Lady to rest properly. Meanwhile I sang of my loss and mourned her passing.

I heard Lady's voice in my mind, "Midnight? Is that you?" Looking down I saw her faded green eyes open, staring up at me.

Chapter 6 -- Sam's viewpoint

Arianne heard the bag rip as it left her hand and fell to the floor, the cat woman clutching the clothing in her paws. "What the," was all she said trying to grasp what just happened. She moved over to the bag to pick it up but stopped watching Kitten roll her face in her mother's things. Arianne tilted her head watching her, "Hey give that back," she scolded Kitten.

I was surprised when Kitten bounded from my lap and tore the bag from Arianne's hands. Frankly, I expected another hissing match between the two but Kitten's sudden tenderness towards someone she had treated badly less than a day before threw me. As she bounded out the door in search for Lady, I realized she had spoken in first person. The whole time I had known her, she always referred herself in third person.

Looking around I said, "Angela, you Tigress and Jade come with Arianne and I. The rest of you stay here and come when called." I felt the exaltation of the chase coming over me and could not resist saying, "Come Watson, the hunt is on." I sighed slightly at the blank stares that greeted me.

Jamie spoke up, "What about me?"

I looked over at her, "Of course you're coming, you have the job of pushing me around in the wheel chair," and smiled. Her smile back was like a ray of sunshine. Turning towards Arianne I said, "I am supposed to stay off my feet," and shrugged. I felt silly having Jamie help me into the wheelchair but put up with it.

"Heather, form a reaction force and load for bear." She nodded and standing hurried from the room, looking at Jasmine I said, "You know me dear, better get the operating room ready just in case." I meant it as a joke but Jasmine nodded somberly and left not speaking. Looking at Arianne, "We will follow Kitten with Tigress's link with her." Gesturing towards the door I said, "Let's do it."

Jamie wheeled me out the door and down a quickly made ramp. The girls had indeed been busy today. She helped me into the back seat leaving the front for Arianne, Angela and Tigress. Throwing the wheel chair in the trunk, she slid in next to me. I start to say where is Jade, when I see her coming out with a box of shells and a shotgun. As she sat down she smiled at me, "It never hurts to have a little helping hand."

Sitting in the car, the ride seems long. The uncertainty is driving Arianne crazy and she said, "If we don't find mother, I am not sure what I will do."

Sitting in the back, I watched Arianne fidget as Angela drove us into old town. Turning down first one street and then down another there was no rhyme or reason to her turns. Finally, at a stoplight she looks at me in the mirror and says, "Mistress, we cannot catch up with her this way. According to Tigress," she strokes the cat, "Kitten is blinking and bouncing all over the place."

I bite my lip as I think, "Ok, find a good place and pull over." Looking around I ask, "Anyone have a better idea? Arianne?"

When no spoke up, I nodded to Angela. Finding a spot up the street, she pulled over and we wait in silence. Not five minutes later Angela put the car in gear and pulled out into the night traffic. The sound of horns and screech of tires greeted us. As if she were excusing her driving, Angela said, "She's stopped and is searching a building now."

I wanted to ask how far but instead I said, "I would rather not die in an accident before we get there Angela." As she slowed down, I heard someone's phone ring. The tone is not one I recognize at first, "The Barney song? What the..." I say with shock as the haunting song continues. Jimmy used to have that song on the store phone. I made the mistake of asking him about it once and he, after some work, managed to show me an old flat screen show about a purple dinosaur that went around singing that song.

As the car lurched Arianne came out of her fog and looked around wild eyed. Her heart, had she been alive would be beating 100 miles a minute. When her phone rang, she could not believe the ringer. The phone was not truly hers, she had just barrowed it for the night. Looking at the caller ID she sees its Blaine. "Yes...what is it?"

"Miss... there is something going on you need to see. We have a...an intruder."

"I can't just come right now; can't you deal with it?"

"Well... I could but..."

"But what Blaine, I have no time for games."

"Please Miss just come."

"Oh alright...be there shortly."

Arianne hung up the phone and fumed. She muttered under her breath about the help and took a long breath before speaking. "Would you mind, I need to go home quickly, I shall return once I go deal with whatever it is."

Not knowing if she can safely exit a moving car, I barked, "Angela, stop the car." Good to my command she slams on the breaks and we slide to a stop in the middle of the road. Thank the gods that there was not anyone behind us.

Arianne, not getting any response to her request said, "If I inconvenience you Sam, I am sorry, drive to Lady's house and I'll meet you there." In a slow heartbeat, she seems to fade away.

Looking over at Jade and Jamie I see their mouths open in shock. Feeling a slight pressure on my leg I looked down and see with surprise that Jamie's hand was clucking it tightly, her hand white with the strain. Yet it felt to me as if it were only a light touch. "Shit" I say softly and look into Angela's eyes in the mirror.

It does not take us long to arrive at Lady's house. As we are pulling up, I saw Kitten run through the closed door and down the street as if someone had set her tail on fire. Not waiting for me, Jade, Angela, and Tigress, bust out of the car and rush the house. Looking at Jamie I shrug and let her help me into the wheelchair. By the time she wheeled me inside things have calmed down. Jade is over talking to a man who seemed to run afoul of kitten. Angela came over with Tigress following and said, "We should have known Kitten would come here first. According to Tigress this place reeks of Lady."

Nodding I agree and then say softly, "Angela, I know time is of the essence but you have to quit driving like a madwoman.

Angela hung her head, "Yes mistress."

Turning away from her, I nod towards Arianne and Jamie wheels me over to her, "It seems Kitten beat us here." Looking around I added, "This is as good as any place to wait while she picks up something else." A thought crossed my mind and I added, "May the gods help us if Kitten leads us through every bar in town."

Arianne chuckled at the joke. "Yes well, it would be better I think if we wait till she found a solid spot before trying to chase her again." She remembered her manners. She clapped her hands and Blaine showed up. "Please bring us some refreshments and a snack for our guests Blaine."

He started to say something but thought better of it. He nodded and left. Minutes later, he returned with a tray of tea, a few cups, and some cake. "Please have something so you are not hungry, you need to keep up your strength."