Same Old Lang Syne Ch. 05

Story Info
Bill & Sam's Candle of life is lit.
12.4k words
4.78
2.2k
0

Part 5 of the 5 part series

Updated 06/12/2023
Created 06/18/2022
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
32aa
32aa
450 Followers

Just when you think that you're on the Yellow-Brick road headed to Oz, you hit an unexpected speed bump. A speed bump that, at first, slows you down, but makes you stronger before you're back to 'full speed ahead'.

It was now the middle of July.

During Sam's weekly phone call with her mom, she mentioned that we needed to come down there the following weekend, as there was something that we needed to share with them. Her mom asked if everything was OK with her. Sam reassured her that she was fine... adding that 'No' she wasn't pregnant. Her mom laughed and said, "I didn't mean that."

Anyway, Sam just explained that it was something that she didn't want to talk about over the phone and that I needed to be with her.

I had a similar phone call with my mom. I got the same question if everything was all right with me. And then if everything was OK with US. Reassuring her, we set Friday night for meeting with them.

We were both a bit nervous on our drive to meet my parents at their Club. I was a little nervous about letting them know my plans to move. Then, more nervous about our plans.

Having lived in the same small town all their lives, they're pretty conservative in their values and beliefs. My dad was a member of the same church that he grew up with, was married in, and attended every Sunday. Outside of the one conversation I had with my dad over the summer, where he made the comment 'She's the one', I really hadn't talked about Sam and me. But, I knew that they knew how we felt about each other... but, maybe not to where it had grown over the last few months.

Sam got big smiles and hugs from my mom and dad, as we found a place at the bar, got some drinks, and just chatted about what was going on in our lives. I wasn't going to bring up the whole reason of why we wanted to get together while sitting at the bar and within earshot of nosey eves-droppers.

Finding a table off to the side, our idle conversation continued until we had finished our wonderful fish fry. I went and got us another round of adult beverages.

Sam and I exchanged looks. Again, not missed by my parents. I took her hand under the table.

"Well, I suppose that you're wondering what's going on?"

"Yeah. Kind of got us wondering. Are you two OK? I mean, you said it was something that you didn't want to talk about over the phone," my mom, with a mom's concerned voice.

"We're fine."

And then, I just laid it out there. Everything: my recent travels, interacting with the sister companies, the offer for promotion, increase in salary. Then, gripping Sam's hand.

"I'll have to relocate to Colorado Springs."

Dead silence, except for the background noise from the rest of those that were eating. Sam clutched my hand. Looking at my parents, they knew that there was more.

"Samantha's going with me."

More silence. They knew that I still wasn't done.

"She's going to move in with me. We're going to live together."

Our hands, under the table, were probably turning white as our grips tightened. We waited.

My mom was the first to speak.

"We kind of always suspected that your career might take you away from us. We're both so proud of you; the first, and only one in the family to graduate from college. And whatever it is that you do, you must be very good at it.

"We were really happy that your first job was relatively close, as we got to see you every so often. It sounds like a wonderful opportunity for you. Besides, Colorado Springs isn't that far away. It's not like it's across the country."

Then, with a warm 'mom smile'.

"Samantha belongs at your side. You two belong together."

Looking over at Sam, we each exchanged warm smiles, and gave each other's hand a gentle squeeze under the table as the non-verbal, 'Whew' was passed between us.

"That's quite a commitment, for both of you," my dad added.

"It is. We can't see ourselves living apart. It's something that we both know that we're ready for. And, yes, we both know what the next step will be, and we're each fine with that. We just need time. We'll know when the time is right for that."

"Samantha, you moving away from your family and all. What do they think about all of this?"

"I haven't told them yet. We're meeting with them tomorrow. They only know that Bill and I wanted to get together with them. I'm sure they'll be disappointed in me moving away. They were kind of disappointed when I moved up here, an hour and a half away. But, they also knew that it was best for my career, as there was nothing around there for what I wanted to do.

"As far as the living together part; I'm not sure how that will go over. They both like Bill. They know that he's good to and for me, and that he would do anything for me. To always comfort me when I need comfort."

"It'll most likely be hardest on your dad, you being his only daughter. I know that I would be," my dad added.

"Yeah. For as long as I can remember, I've always been the 'Apple' in his eye. He was always there for me. Always checking out my dates. I remember the one time that I broke up with a guy because he was just too controlling. The guy kept bothering me. Hanging out next to my car after school. Calling the house. One day I came home crying. While the guy never touched me, I heard from my girlfriends that he had said some pretty mean things about me. My dad asked what happened. I told him. Being a small town, I later heard from a couple of my girlfriends, that he had been told to stay away from me... or else. I didn't want to think about what the 'or else' would be," Sam's hands going up in quotes.

After a bit of a quiet moment, my mom says, "Well, here's my opinion, just from what I see in you two. You're both very practical. You trust and respect each other. The two of you have a connection that a lot of couples wished they had a fraction of. If you were my daughter and planning on going off and living with this guy, I wouldn't have a problem. But, then I'm kind of biased."

That brought a laugh from everyone and eased any tension.

The rest of the evening went great. Sam danced with my dad. She was even picking up a few polka-steps.

Sam and I danced to some lively ones and some slow ones.

Toward the end of the evening, I held the love of my life, as the female country vocalist sang, Help me make it through the night.

Take the ribbon from my hair

Shake it loose and let it fall

Lay it soft upon my skin

Like the shadows on the wall

Come and lay down by my side

Till the early mornin' light...

Sam shifted and snuggled closer as my embrace tightened. I kissed and nuzzled my nose in her soft honey-blonde hair.

...Help me make it through the night.

Later that evening, as we snuggled in our post 'love making heaven.

Sam kisses my chest.

"I really like your mom. She reminds me of mine. I only hope things go as well with my mom and dad as they did with yours. I can tell that they're really happy for us. Telling you that I belonged at your side. That we belong together. I almost started to cry. I'll never forget that. Almost as much as your dad telling you that 'She's the one'."

.............................................................

It was a sunny late morning when we pulled into Sam's parent's driveway. Sam was dressed casually: loose sky-blue mid-thigh shorts, a pastel yellow halter top, and white sandals. And then there was the gold locket that I had given her for Christmas resting a few inches from the base of her neck.

Sitting there for a moment, Sam looked over at me, kissed my cheek, sighed, and said, "I hope this goes as well as it did yesterday."

"Sam. It'll be fine. Besides, I'll be at your side the whole time."

"I know. And thank you."

Sam got enthusiastic hugs from first her dad and then her mom. Janice stepped back a bit and held Sam at arm's length and just looked at her daughter. It had been a while since they had seen each other. Her eyes instantly focused on the gold charm.

"Samantha, such a pretty locket. Is that new?"

"Bill got it for me for Christmas. I forgot to wear it when I was here for Christmas," holding it in her fingers, "He had it engraved."

Janice looked in closer and read the inscription on the front.

'I Found my Soulmate'

Sam reached down and released the clasp that held it closed.

By the time she had finished reading the inside, I watched her wipe away a tear. And then turning to me, she wrapped her arms around me in a warm motherly hug that lingered.

My eyes met Sam's as she smiled her warm 'Samantha Smile'.

Lunch was light and the conversation centered on what was going on in everybody's lives, including all of Sam's relatives. There was an air of 'anxiousness' as to the big elephant in the room. I let Sam handle the when, where, and how the elephant was going to be brought up.

Janice and Pete were laid-back, down-to-earth, and simple folks. Evening dinner was over grilled steaks, baked potatoes, and a garden green salad with a few beers thrown in to ease everything.

It was still early, once everything was cleared away, and we all settled back outside around their picnic table. Sam and I exchanged glances... non-verbal communication. I could see that each parent saw something passing between us.

Taking a deep breath and searching for my hand under the table, Sam just laid it out there: my job, the promotion, the relocation. I saw each of them stiffen a bit at that last revelation and were pretty sure, that at that point, they each knew what was coming next.

And then Sam confirmed it, "Bill's going to move to Colorado Springs... and I'm going with him."

She let that sink in for a few moments and then added, "Then, we are going to find a place to live... together".

The only sounds I heard were the birds chirping and the rustling of the wind through the trees.

Pete looked at me with the serious 'father look'.

"Do you love her?"

"Yes sir. With all of my heart and with every ounce of my being," Sam gave me a gentle squeeze.

Turning to his daughter.

"Samantha, that's quite a commitment. Are you sure? Have you two thought this through? What if something should happen, between you two? Then what?"

"Yes, Daddy... I'm sure. I've never been more sure of anything in my life. I love Bill. And I know that he loves me. I've never felt, what I feel for him, with anyone. I never knew that such a feeling existed," another hand-squeeze.

"I know that he'll always be there for me whenever I need him. He already has. As far as the, 'what if'... I don't know. I can't see the future. I'm sure that we'll have times when we will have to work through things, every couple does... we just haven't... yet. And when those times come, we'll get through it because we're committed to each other."

Taking a deep breath and giving my hand a squeeze.

"I just can't see my life without him in it, and I know that Bill feels the same. It's why he asked me to come with him when he told me about what was going on. I know that if I had said that I couldn't, he would have passed up the promotion, just to stay with me. And, I'm sure that at some time down the road, I would feel guilty for denying him the opportunity to secede and grow... for us. Because that's what I know that he wants... US. Just like I want there to be an US," Sam's voice cracking on those last two words, her grip tightened, and wiped away a tear.

It was quiet, as everybody absorbed Sam's words. Then it was her mom's turn.

"Samantha, you know that we love you and want you to be happy. Quite honestly, I could tell in our phone calls, for quite a while, that you've been really happy," and looking over at me, "And after meeting this guy over the summer, I can totally understand. Watching you two is like nothing that I've ever seen... even a few minutes ago. Besides, Colorado Springs isn't all that far away. What about you finding a hospital to work at?"

"Bill's future supervisor had the company's HR look into possibilities for me. There are a number of hospitals that are close together. After knowing my specialty, I was told that I'd probably have my pick as to where to work. I just need to get my nursing relicensed for the state of Colorado, which should take 8 to 10 weeks for a temporary and 12 to 14 weeks for a permanent license. They also said, that if it that was a problem, the company might help that process along."

Taking my hand that was on the table.

"Mom... Daddy... I know that us living together isn't something that you're thrilled with. But let us tell you... we each know, what the next step is. And we're not afraid of that. We just need some time."

Janice looked at me, "What do your parents think about the whole arrangement? I'm sure they're disappointed that you're moving away."

"They are. When we met with them last night, I laid everything out and said that Samantha was going with me and that we were going to live together. It was quiet for a bit and then my mom said that Samantha needed to be by my side. That we belong together. As far as the living together part, they know how we feel about each other and that we would do it anyway. So, why alienate their son and future daughter-in-law?"

Sam's hand gave mine another prolonged squeeze and out of the corner of my eye, I saw a big smile. And, I wasn't the only one who saw it.

Pete's fatherly stare returning, "Will you be marrying our daughter?"

"When the time is right. And she will have me. And, with your permission... Yes, I will be marrying your daughter... Samantha Grace."

That was the first time that that word had ever entered our conversation. Sam turned, wrapped her arms around my neck, and planted the firmest kiss that I had ever received on my lips... not carrying that it was in front of her parents. Pulling away, all I saw was a huge smile and tears.

After a few moments, Pete looked over at me, "Yes, you have our permission to marry Samantha when you two feel that the time is right. But know one thing... If you break her heart, as Janice just said, a few minutes ago... Colorado Springs isn't that far away."

I just met his stare and nodded my head in acknowledging the protective 'fatherly' warning.

"All that I ask, is that you allow me the honor and privilege of walking our only daughter down the aisle, before giving her away to the man that I know who loves her, will protect her, and will care for her for the rest of her life."

"Pete, you have my solemn promise."

"I think this calls for a toast."

Pete disappeared and a few minutes later returned with two brandy snifters half filled with a honey-blonde liquid. I'm not a hard liquor drinker, some type of brandy I assumed.

"Cognac. I only bring it out for special occasions. And this, is definitely, a special occasion."

Holding our glasses up, "Here's to strength and happiness for our daughter and our future son-in-law."

Clinking glasses, I saw Pete breathe in the aroma of the honey-brown liquor. Having never done this before, I did the same. Interesting: vanilla, prune, caramel, orange, and apricot. Taking a sip, I l slowly swirled the warm liquor around inside my mouth and those aromas, now, tantalized my taste buds. Swallowing it was like drinking 'liquid velvet'.

All I could say was, "Oh my."

Pete gave me a fatherly smile, "First time?"

"Yes. I've never tasted anything so smooth."

Well, that's not totally true, as I squeezed Sam's hand under the table. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Sam try to suppress a smile, as she read my naughty thoughts.

"It's great on a cold wintery night. Your budget may not like it, but in my opinion, it's worth it."

Even though Sam had just announced that we were going to be living together, and they knew that we were already sleeping together; out of respect, we slept in separate bedrooms, just like over Thanksgiving.

I woke to the distant aroma of coffee and far-off conversations. Sam and her mom were having much-needed Mother-and-Daughter time. I dozed. I was brought out of my light slumber by the feel and taste of the softest and sweetest lips known to man.

"You look so cute when you sleep."

Another soft kiss as my eyes came to focus on Sam's smiling face. Not a hint of makeup, but that was always Sam's look... natural.

"I can't wait to wake up with you next to me every morning. Sometimes you can watch me sleep and sometimes I can watch you sleep."

..........................................

Word quickly spread through the OB/GYN ward that Sam was leaving in four to six weeks. She had been told by her supervisor, and quite a number of doctors, that they would all write letters of recommendation, complete with contact information.

Her fellow nurses all wanted to know the details. Colorado Springs? Did she like the area? When Sam said that she had never been there, they were all shocked.

"You mean that you're just packing up and moving someplace sight unseen?" Carol asked.

"Yeah. But, I'll have my soulmate with me."

..............................................

We didn't feel any pressure. Outside of our jobs, there really wasn't much that we needed to do, except figure out what we wanted to take and what we wanted to donate. The moving company would pack everything. The HR had arranged for a storage unit, and an extended-stay hotel, once we arrived.

We had time. The one thing that we definitely wanted to do, before we left, was set up a dinner date somewhere so that both sets of parents could meet... finally.

It was like Sam said one night, as we cuddled in our warm post-coital bliss, with a giggle, "We can't have them meeting for the first time at our wedding."

So, through our contacts at our jobs, we found a casual restaurant that seemed like the ideal type and location. It sounded somewhat rustic. A casual Bar-B-Q restaurant that smoked everything right there. Everything from brisket, ribs, pulled pork, and chicken... which were half-chickens by the way.

It was about halfway between both families, and about forty-five minutes for each. But first, we needed to check it out. Everybody said that reservations were needed and not to wait until the last minute.

................................................

The restaurant was wonderful, being a Saturday night, it was crowded. With a nice evening, we opted to be seated on the outdoor patio. Sam captured the attention of every male there, especially teenage guys out with their dates, much to their date's disdain. I loved it, as I held her hand, and gave her a gentle smile.

I never had smoked ribs. Spare ribs in an oven, that my mom would make as I grew up but, never hickory smoked.

Sam and each got a Sample-Platter: a quarter of a rack of baby-backed ribs, slices of brisket, and a pile of pulled pork. All of that was accompanied by a large helping of molasses-baked beans and their house cole slaw. It was out of this world. We each left with a 'doggie bag'.

It was relatively early and the sun was beginning to set, so, we hit the bar that we always frequented after our karate classes. Over the months, we had become 'regulars', as we pretty much knew the various waitresses, the bartenders, and the manager. Being past the dinner hour, it was about half full of couples and a few guys, who were, on-the-hunt. Sam picked those guys out immediately.

It was fun. We weren't much in the way of drinkers. We just liked going there and visiting with the staff, over maybe a couple of beers.

It was around 10:00 when Sam whispered in my ear, "Let's go to my place so that I can let the neighbors know what you are doing to me."

I pulled back to a shit-eating grin. How could I turn down a request like that?

32aa
32aa
450 Followers