Same Old Lang Syne Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Then there was just the four of us. Sam and I each knew the inevitable moment had arrived. My heart broke when Sam, her mom, and her dad had farewell hugs. Saying to call whenever she wanted to, and to call collect.

Pete's final farewell hug to his daughter lingered. Then, with welling eyes, he turned to me, gave me a hug, and said, "Take care of her."

"With my life."

"I know," hug, "I know."

.............................................

Sam and I got to my parent's late morning, as Sam wanted to help my mom. My mom, once again, gave me a smile and a wink.

The picnic at my parents went pretty much the same way. Everybody knew the reason I was moving, and as for Sam, Samantha was moving just to be 'near' me. And that was that.

Again, everybody was surprised to hear that Sam was moving without ever visiting the area.

Sam just clenched my arm, grinned, and repeated what she told her relatives, "I trust my boyfriend."

I couldn't help but smile, as I kissed the top of her head.

As always, my mom had prepared a feast: burgers, brats, Jell-O salads, baked beans, and yes beer.

Once everybody had left, the four of us relaxed in the yard with a comfortable breeze and fresh beers.

My dad handed me an envelope with ten one-hundred-dollar bills.

"I know, that between the two of you, you don't need this. But I'm going to give it to you anyway. Think of it as part of an early wedding present."

Sam and I just looked at each other and grinned.

And then our inevitable time had come.

I hugged each of my loving parents, lingering a bit with my dad.

He looked at the two of us and said, in his 'wisely' manner, "Take care of each other. Because, if you do that, everything else will either take care of itself, or it never really mattered in the first place."

...............................................

Basking in the warmth and glow of our latest coupling. In our 'lover's cuddle', Sam relaxed her head on my chest and listened to my heart.

"I love listening to your heart beat. Knowing that it's beating for me."

Kissing Sam's soft blonde hair. We both knew that in the morning, we would begin our new journey... together.

"Scared?"

Looking up at me with those soft eyes. The eyes that, so long ago, held me captivated and in her spell, were warm and soft. There was no anxiousness... no concern. Only a relaxed serenity.

"How can I be scared? I'm going to be with the man who I love. With the man who I know loves me from the bottom of his heart. The man who would do anything for me. The man who, I know will protect me with his life; because he already has," Sam's voice cracking.

"How can I be scared with all of that? I am the luckiest girl alive."

The movers had just left. It was our turn.

Standing hand-in-hand, and looking off towards that distant horizon, we felt at peace. We had no idea what awaited us. The one thing we did know, was that we will face it together. The good and the bad. The highs and the lows. Whatever it would be, we didn't plan to miss a single solitary and exciting moment. Our life together was just beginning.

Our Candle of Life, having just been lit.

..........................................

Epilogue:

Sam did have four offers, each with a salary increase of around 15%. After some consultation with Brian and the Company's HR, on their opinion of each of the hospitals, Sam picked the one that each of them recommended. Sam also said that it was the one where she felt the warmest atmosphere, from both the nurses and the doctors.

We moved into a nice apartment on the outskirts of Colorado Springs. While our combined incomes would have been more than enough to cover something a bit larger and more expensive, that's not who we were. Besides, we had our sights set on something more permanent. Plus, we each knew that Colorado Springs was just too 'busy' for us, having come from small towns.

Our parents visited the area and were impressed. Each made the comment that it may be a nice area for them to retire to, given the milder climate, even though the snowfall amounts in the Colorado Springs area would be much greater than where they lived. Perhaps, just summer places to get away from the Midwest heat and humidity.

During one visit, my mom took me aside and asked how Sam and I were doing. I think she was wondering when I would pop the question. She knew it wasn't, "if I was going to pop the question". Just, "When".

I just remember just saying that "I was getting there".

Then she handed me a small box and said, "Maybe this will help you along."

It was her mother's engagement ring. A small and delicate diamond that sparkled with its brilliance.

Four weeks later. Another special candlelit dinner. Sam knew something was up, as her eyes sparkled the whole evening. She even went out of her way and did her makeup to perfection.

On my knees and holding her delicate hands in mine. We held each other's gaze. Each of us knew that this gaze was going to be special. That this moment was going to be special.

"Samantha, I believe that there are forces out there that draw two people together who were meant to be. Forces that are out of our reach. It was those forces that brought our lives together at our first meeting. The way you looked at me and smiled. The magnetism of our souls, not repelling, but pulling. Pulling each of us closer and closer.

Looking into those soft eyes that were quickly welling up.

"Samantha Grace, my love, would you do me the honor of spending the rest of your life with me, as my wife... will you marry me?"

I opened my hand and slipped the ring onto her dainty finger. I swore the diamond took on a brilliance of its own, as it radiated everything that was coming from my heart.

As we promised, Pete walked his only daughter down the aisle in front of friends and family from both sides.

We were kind of torn as to where to set up our final home to raise our family. Having come from small towns we were drawn to what we felt the most comfortable with; small towns with a good school system. With our combined incomes and savings over the years, we felt we could afford a comfortable and nice-sized home away from Colorado Springs, which was relatively expensive and busy.

We settled in Gleneagle, north of Colorado Springs. It was about 1,000 feet higher in elevation, making it dryer with virtually no snow and milder temperatures than Colorado Springs.

We found a two-story four-bedroom on a nice-sized lot, in a newly constructed neighborhood where the houses were nicely spaced and sidewalks flowed through the neighborhood. The first thing we noticed when we first looked at the house was the quiet. Then we took notice of the nicely cared-for lawns. Walking through the neighborhood, we noticed many young couples and quite a number of young kids playing in various yards... all with no parental supervision... In a word... Safe.

The drive was a bit long, but with no winter snow to worry about until we neared Colorado Springs, it wasn't a big deal. The smallness of the town, the school system, and the quaintness of the downtown were major factors. Plus, major crime, or any crime for that matter, was unheard of.

Sam blessed us with a son, Daniel. He would become my drinking buddy. A couple of years later, our blonde blue-eyed daughter, Jennifer, 'Jenny' for short, came into the world. It didn't take long, but Sam said that she would have me wrapped around her little finger in no time. She did, as she had her own and unique 'Jenny smile'. She was going to break hearts later on in life.

Sam had left the hospital to become a full-time mom. Once the kids were in school, Sam accepted a new position with the school district as the 'District Nurse'. It allowed her the freedom to have something to do that she enjoyed and also to be home for Daniel and Jenny.

It was more than just taking care of little cuts and bruises. Sam constantly reviewed their lunch program and brought it to new levels where it was healthy and enjoyable for all of the kids. Sam worked with the high school athletic trainers, giving them much-needed support and information, on keeping the high school athletes injury-free, and then on the best methods for treating injuries. She also instituted 'Health' classes for the high school that focused on healthy living, diets, diseases, and first aid. Sex-ed was something that everybody felt did not belong in the schools. Although, around sixth grade, Sam held a few classes, for just the girls, which focused on their soon-to-be changing bodies.

For my side, I moved up in the company and replaced Brian when he retired, along with all of the perks of being in a management position. My travel to sister companies tapered off. Much to the delight of Sam.

Both sets of parents did retire to the area. Not down the street, but close enough to enjoy their granddaughter and grandson. They also enjoyed being babysitters for those nights and weekends when Sam and I needed to have some 'adult' and 'connecting' time.

The end.

Hope you enjoyed the series. It took on a life of its own, once I got into it. Looking back, I'm glad that I didn't let it die. Thank you readers for your suggestions and encouragement.

So until next time... may you all find peace and tranquility.