Sausage and The Law Ch. 01

Story Info
State Legislature convenes. A new crime for the Team.
21.1k words
4.77
4k
5

Part 1 of the 4 part series

Updated 11/06/2023
Created 10/26/2023
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This story is part of an ongoing series. The chronological order of my stories is listed in WifeWatchman's biography.

Feedback and constructive criticism is very much appreciated, and I encourage feedback for ideas.

This story contains graphic scenes, language and actions that might be extremely offensive to some people. These scenes, words and actions are used only for the literary purposes of this story. The author does not condone murder, racism, racial language, violence, rape or violence against women, and any depictions of any of these in this story should not be construed as acceptance of the above.

There may or may not be discussion of political issues in my stories. If you are a Snowflake that feels you need to be protected from any mention of politics, then click the Back button now, and never attempt to read any of my stories ever again. You've been warned.

***

Part 1 - Prologue

"Laws are like sausages. It is best not to see them being made."
--- attributed to Otto von Bismarck, Chancellor of Germany.

"People who love sausage and respect the law should never watch either being made"
--- attributed to Mark Twain, American satirist.

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" shouted the redheaded MILF reporterette at 7:00am, Monday, January 3rd, from the Anchor Desk in the KXTC Studios. "A new session of the State Legislature begins today!"

After the hard-charging intro music, Bettina began: "With the Budget not being a critical issue this year, other important issues will receive more attention. Let's go to highly respected political reporter Carl Lemay for more. Carl!"

"That's right, Bettina!" said the relatively tall (for a reporter), lanky, Reporter of Color, wearing just an expensive suit and tie in spite of the cold, with the State Capitol and the dawning sun in his background. "The Legislators have a full plate of issues to digest as they convene under the golden dome of the State Capitol behind me here in Midtown!"

Lemay: "One issue that both political Parties are very interested in is the issue they're colloquially calling 'redistricting'. In reality, it's going to be a realignment of the State's counties, possibly merging some and creating others. Roll tape."

Tape rolled, showing a recorded piece by Lemay, which accompanied maps and drawings: "Our State is composed of 96 counties and The City, which essentially acts as its own semi-autonomous county. The State Constitution sets the limit of the number of counties at 96, not including The City."

Lemay voiceover: "In the time of the Great Depression, four small bankrupt counties to he west and southwest of The City were merged into the City Limits. These counties have over time become wealthy suburbs, and the Republicans are pushing hard to make them independent counties again, with their own tax bases, Government services, and most important, school systems that are independent of The City's school system, which Republicans say have become 'woke' and corrupt."

Lemay voiceover: "In order to do that, other counties in the State will have to be merged, or a county 'assimilated' into others. Among the candidates for merger or assimilation are our Town & County with Nextdoor County and Coltrane County; Eastphalia and Westphalia being merged; Palmyra County being merged into Midtown's county; and Benning County along the State Line River west of here being dissolved and absorbed by its surrounding counties."

Back to Lemay live: "But there are obstacles in the way of a smooth passage of the legislation. Channel Two News and the State News Networks, SNN, have learned that The City is prepared to sue the State, claiming that removing part of the land within the City Limits violates the previous agreements between The City and the State that granted The City its autonomy. And the Town & County Charter requires that any change to its governmental structure will force a plebiscite to separate the Town from the County, and restore the separate government functions that existed before the Merger."

Lemay: "Additionally, the US Department of Justice Civil Rights Division is expected to begin pursuing its long-sought-for investigation of the Town & County's structure, to determine if Minorities are disenfranchised by the current setup. And the DOJ Civil Rights Division will also pursue its ongoing investigation of Commander Donald Troy and the Town & County Police for allegations of institutional racism and Police brutality against People of Color, which could lead to the forced imposition of a Consent Decree."

Lemay: "All of that could affect the work of the State Legislators, and delay or prevent them from passing meaningful reforms. Another issue on their plates concern the University, which is also in our Town & County. Democrats want to codify into law University President Jerry Moore's mandate to require all University professors to sign documents supporting the Climate Change School and attesting that Climate Change is real and supported by science."

Lemay: "Republicans not only want to make the 'loyalty documents' illegal, but they want to defund the entire Biology School until the Climate Change Center is dismantled. Despite the fact that the science is settled, Republicans falsely claim that Climate Change is a fraud. It could be a bitter sticking point in Legislative negotiations. Back to you, Bettina."

"Thank you, Carl!" shouted Bettina as the feed returned to her. "That was highly respected political reporter Carl Lemay with that important and insightful report. And now let's go to trusted reporter Amber Harris for more on the local issues and races. Amber!"

"That's right, Bettina!" shouted the athletic, height-challenged blonde reporterette, standing on the roof of the building at the corner of Riverside and College, with City Hall in her background. "Channel Two News has learned that Police Lieutenant Mary Mahoney Milton is suing the Police Union and the US National Labor Relations Board in Federal Court after the Union filed a grievance on her behalf." (Author's note: 'Teresa's Christmas Miracle', Ch. 01.)

Amber: "As you heard first on Channel Two News when we reported this on December 20th, the Union filed the grievance on Lieutenant Mahoney-Milton's behalf after she was required to go into Police Headquarters for work while on her twelve-week maternity leave. However, Lieutenant Mahoney-Milton objected to the grievance, and filed the lawsuit last Friday after negotiations with the Union and the Police Force over the matter broke down."

Amber: "The various Public Safety Unions are also continuing to pressure Sheriff Griswold over the rank structures within his Public Safety Department. The Unions had agreed to let Sheriff Griswold make changes after a bitter standoff between the Sheriff's Department and the Police Force at a Council meeting last October, and now the Unions are complaining that he has done nothing, and is stalling. No one in the Sheriff's Department nor the Police Department, nor Sheriff Griswold nor Commander Donald Troy, have responded to KXTC Channel Two News's repeated requests for comment." (Author's note: 'No Show', Ch. 01. for the standoff and subsequent Union meeting.)

Amber: "And in other news, Town Assemblyman Ryan Paulson, who is primarying Daniel Allgood for the Mayor's post, has challenged Allgood, Sheriff Griswold, and District Attorney Miriam Walters to a three-on-three debate. Louis Bailey is running for Sheriff and Ted Mason is running for D.A., and they have formed a (air quotes) 'ticket' of sorts in their efforts to defeat the incumbents in the primary election on May 3rd. Neither Sheriff Griswold, D.A. Walters, nor Mayor Allgood have responded to repeated requests by Channel Two News for comment. Back to you, Bettina!"

"Thank you, Amber!" Bettina said as the feed returned to her. "That was trusted reporter Amber Harris with that important information. And now for a local perspective on news affecting our University, let's go to Pat Stellum. Pat!"

"That's right, Bettina!" said the portly reporter, making trenchcoats and fedora Press hats look bad as the feed switched to him. He was standing on the edge of University Avenue, with University Hospital in the distance behind him as the light of dawn began showing over the mountain behind the building.

Stellum: "After several huge rifts between University President Jerry Moore and University Hospital Administrator Seth Warner and Hospital Board Member Teresa Croyle, State Legislators will be looking to resolve those issues with decisive legislative action."

Stellum: "Democrats and some Establishment Republicans want to solidify Dr. Moore's position over the Hospital, which theoretically is part of the University and its Medical School. However, White Nationalist Governor Sharon Marshall and many far-right Republicans want to separate the School from the Hospital, giving the Hospital the right to assert its independence from the School."

Stellum: "We are now fortunate and honored to be joined by the University's highly esteemed Head of the Department of Political Science, Dr. Lionel Carmela." The camera panned out to show the odious Carmela, the eye patch over the socket where his left eye had once been, his black hair and beard unkempt and looking oily and unwashed, his attire resembling something between the Socialist pantsuits worn by Hillary Clinton and the 'Weeble Wobble' dictator of North Korea.

Stellum said "Dr. Carmela, how do you respond to Governor Sharon Marshall's threats to defund the Climate Change Center and separating University Hospital from the School?"

Carmela replied "The Biology and Climate Change School is very popular nationally, and receiving millions in donations from enlightened people and groups that know the science is settled and that climate change represents an existential threat to our Mother Earth. As to University Hospital, it is owned by the University, is part of the University, and all money generated by the Hospital belongs to the University."

Carmela: "As such, every doctor on Staff or with admitting privileges to University Hospital, and every employee, including the Hospital Administrator, and every Hospital Board member should meet the same requirements as the professors of the University: they should be required to attest to and assert their support for the great cause of Climate Justice. Additionally, the Croyle Trust now belongs to the School, and the Trust as well as the proceeds from it should be seized and used to support the great cause of Climate Justice and the mission of the Biology and Climate Change School."

Stellum: "But isn't the Croyle Trust money dedicated to helping sick children get well, and to find cures for rare diseases?"

"That doesn't matter!" Carmela asserted with a look of deep hatred on his bearded face. "The earth is more important than those worthless deplorables. Saving the planet from climate disruption is far, far more important."

"Back to you, Bettina!" said Stellum with a huge smile on his fat-cheeked face.

"Thank you, Pat!" Bettina said as the feed came back to her. "Thank you for joining us, Dr. Carmela!" Then she said "And now let's go to Jeff Hull of Channel Two Sports, with a report on the possible fate of Bulldogs head coach Ted Thrasher. Jeff!"

"That's right, Bettina!" said the Sports reporter, every black hair perfectly styled into place, and the University Athletic offices as his background. "After a controversial loss to the Wildcats and an inexcusable defeat at the hands of arch-rival State Tech, Coach Ted Thrasher is under tremendous pressure from both Boosters of the Athletics programs and from the School Administration." (Author's note: 'No Show'; 'Just A Story', Ch. 05)

Hull: "The Boosters are deeply concerned that Coach Thrasher is not the right man to lead the Bulldogs next year. With quarterback Lawrence Watson considered to be the leading candidate for the Heisman Trophy next year, and augmented by consensus All-American linebacker Daevon Roquan and a top-rated defense, as well as the Number 4 recruiting class in all the land, the Bulldogs are poised to have a great future. But after the State Tech disaster, Coach Thrasher's leadership is being questioned."

Hull: "Additionally, some Faculty Members, as well as University President Jerry Moore and his wife Celeste, are demanding that every coach and employee of the University Athletics Department be required to state their support of Climate Justice in writing, which Climate Deniers are calling 'loyalty documents' reminiscent of Nazi Germany. Among the Faculty demanding that those loyalty papers be signed are Dr. Lionel Carmela and Dr. Jan Camp, who sued the University over favoritism towards student-athletes." (Author's note: 'Pink Panther' for the beginnings of Jan Camp's lawsuit.)

Hull: "Coach Thrasher has refused to sign the 'loyalty documents', nor will he allow anyone on his staff to sign them, saying that Climate Change is a fraud, and that Dr. Moore and Dr. Carmela are using it for political purposes to spread Socialism at the University and beyond..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Happy New Year, everyone!" said Deputy Police Chief Tanya P. Muscone, her voice dripping with sarcasm as she, Chief Deputy Sheriff Cindy Ross, Commander of Operations Teresa Croyle, Sheriff Antonio Griswold, Police Commander Donald Troy (me), and Police Chief Sean Moynahan drank coffee and watched the propaganda-cast in the Chief's Conference Room. "New year, same old shit from KXTC."

"I dunno if the Science is settled," said Cindy Ross, "but I thought the issue with the Union regarding the Public Safety structure was settled. Is that not right, Sheriff?"

Sheriff Griswold replied "Well, 'settled' may be too strong a term, but we did agree that I'd implement some solutions to the problems we had last Autumn, and with respect to what the Legislature did this Winter and what the US DOJ does or doesn't do. And I've kept them in the loop on what I've already done, and what we're working on doing now. I guess I'll have to make some phone calls; I don't know why they're making an issue of it again. Maybe Crowbar can solve that mystery."

"Yes, Sheriff, I can." I said. All eyes went to me as I said "There's two possibilities, here. One is that the biased, dishonest, and corrupt KXTC Channel Two News is the one bringing it up to disparage us, and to add to their story about Lieutenant Mary Milton being sooooo ungrateful for the Union looking out for her interests."

Me: "The other possibility is that it -is- the Union bringing it back up with the Press, and for the similar reason that they want to put more pressure on us over their grievance and now Mary's lawsuit. That has the potential to become very, very ugly."

"I'll buy that for a dollar." said Chief Moynahan. "But what about Loo-tenant Milll-tonnnn's lawsuit? Where are we on that?"

Sheriff Griswold said: "The Union grieved Mary being here for Orange Order Day, claiming she was ordered to come in and that it was for work and that she did do work. What's fucked up about it is that Mary herself made no complaint, she did not do any work that day... unless showing off her new baby Marty is work... and she was inducted into the Orange Order, having been voted in by large numbers of her peers of the Thin Blue Line."

Griswold: "After the grievance was filed, she told the Union that their claims were not true, and she did not want them grieving anything on her behalf. The Union actually told her, and us, that they were doing it for her own good and for the good of her fellow Officers, and that they expected her to support the grievance and endorse it. We-el... she didn't. She told them she would sue them if they did not drop the grievance. They refused to drop it, so she filed the lawsuit Thursday, and it hit the Federal Court docket of the Western District of the State on Friday."

"Why did she sue in Federal Court?" asked Tanya.

I said "Because the National Labor Relations Board, that being a Federal Agency, tried to poke their beaks into it. The Union had demanded binding arbitration of the grievance by the NLRB, which the TCPD flat-out rejected. The NLRB was rabidly eager to get involved, so Mary really had no choice but to file in Federal Court, to stop the NLRB from forcing us to treat the grievance as legitimate. Fortunately, it's in Federal Judge K.M. Landis's Court, and not activist, Leftist Federal Judge Ruth B. Taney's Court in Midtown."

Tanya said "Does that grievance even have a chance of succeeding? Especially if Mary herself says they're lying in their claims?"

"My goodness, Tanya, you obviously have no clue, here." I said, my slight grin giving away that I was being sardonic. "It's not about the facts, it's about the seriousness of the charrrge!"

I heard a few chuckles, and Tanya grinned. I continued: "And I very, very strongly suspect that the Union is only pushing it to help the Feds get an inroad into our County and against the TCPD, to (air quotes) 'soften us up' for the brutal attacks we will be receiving at the hands of the USDOJ Civil Rights Division in a few months, after the State Legislature's session ends at the end of March."

Me: "And it may be KXTC and the biased, dishonest, and corrupt Media leading both the Union and the Feds into this. But they'll find that they've miscalculated badly on this one, and it may be coming back to bite them in their fourth points of contact."

"Why is that?" Cindy asked, almost too casually.

Teresa said "Because Kalsu and Patrick are going to use this to lead another effort to decertify the Union. They're going to claim that the Union is interfering with Lieutenant Mary Milton and with the TCPD, and that the charges are not only false but maliciously false and meant to harm the TCPD, and therefore they should be decertified. And that would make the current corrupt Regime in Washington, D.C. blow their collective gasket."

"Pun fully intended on that word 'collective', there." I said. Teresa nodded most very vigorously in agreement.

Cindy said "Teresa, I'm surprised you have not told us exactly what you think about Lionel Carmela claiming that he owns your trust money."

Teresa shrugged her shoulders and said "What's to talk about? Every word he said is a lie, is total bullshit. That's my trust fund, my money, and it is safely inside hoops of legal steel."

"The World needs to be told that." I said. "And in the form of a lawsuit or even criminal charges of slander against Carmela. I know what that fat, one-eyed bastard is doing: he's gaslighting us, repeating the Big Lie often enough that it'll become true. It needs to be met with an overwhelming pushback."

"And that pushback will begin at 8:00am." Cindy said, referring to the upcoming Fox Eight News broadcast on KFXU. "But Don is right, Teresa... a lawsuit and even a criminal complaint would be time and money well spent to make sure there's no chance of that fat bastard and Dr. Moore trying to lay claim to your trust fund."

"Changing the subject, or maybe not," said Chief Moynahan, to change the subject, or maybe not, "what is that bizzz-ness about making the Athletic Staff sign the 'loyalty documents'? And is Coach Thrasher really in trouble?"

I said "The 'loyalty documents' thing is just a publicity stunt, to which KXTC happily gives as much help as they can. Carmela is insane enough to try to kill the goose laying the golden eggs, i.e. the cash cow of the Athletics programs. I sure hope Jerry Moore isn't that stupid."