Sausage and The Law Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Me: "KXTC immediately filed an appeal. Leahy, who as you know is rabidly Leftist and Activist, enjoined the proceedings from continuing, then tried to leave it sitting there undecided until my attorney Mike G. Todd filed a motion to the State Supreme Court (SSC) to hustle it along."

Me: "As you know, there are seven SSC Justices, six Associate Justices and the Chief Justice. Each Justice is assigned one of six regions, almost exactly corresponding to the six regions of the State that the Crime Labs are in and to which the State Attorneys are assigned. The Justice does not have to be from that region, but is assigned to it. State Justice Thomas Hill is assigned to our region, and he's conservative and pretty much hates the Press, like most people with more brains than a Betta fish do."

Me: "So Justice Hill ordered Appellate Judge Leahy to drop the stay, and to either let Judge Watts hear the case -or- show strong cause why the case should not proceed. So Leahy invoked Sullivan, taking KXTC's side, and ordered the case dismissed, but without prejudice. We appealed to the State Supreme Court, and it will be the first case they hear when they convene next month."

Me: "But wait! There's more! We also filed a petition with the FCC to get KXTC's broadcasting licenses revoked. KXTC will wait for the State Supreme Court ruling, and if it goes against them, they will appeal to the Federal Courts. If the SSC ruling goes against us, we will likewise take it to the Federal Courts, and that should happen by July 4th."

Cindy said "I'm on your side on this particular case, and I'm not a lawyer. But I don't see how you're going to meet the Sullivan threshold to prove KXTC's intent to slander and defame you, not to mention how it materially harms you."

I said "The harm is to my reputation. I'm very much on the 'Climate Change is a Fraud' side, and Bettina and KXTC deliberately edited a piece of video to make it sound like I support Climate Change. As to Sullivan, we're saying two things: that KXTC's repeated provable lies about me on their newscasts that we've amassed is plenty enough to show the intent, but also that the Sullivan standard is too harsh, and allows the Media to openly and outright slander people and then hide behind the Sullivan ruling to get away with the slander and the damage they cause."

Me: "In other words, I'm hoping this case will create new case law, and will lower the Sullivan bar to make it easier for anyone and everyone to sue the living shit out of the various biased, dishonest, and corrupt Media outlets, and rein them in before they destroy the Constitution and the Nation."

"Strong letter to fol-lowwww." drawled Chief Moynahan...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

10:00am, Tuesday, January 4th. Captain of Detectives Claire Michaels was called to the front desk to meet Yolanda Grissom. She had Yolanda sign in and put on a Visitor's badge, then escorted her to the Main Conference Room. Awaiting them there were Deputy Chief Tanya P. Muscone, Chief Deputy Sheriff Cindy Ross, Lt. Commander Teresa Croyle, and Lieutenant Mary Milton.

Yolanda was invited to sit between Tanya in her spot at the near end, in front of the door, and Cindy. Teresa was in the seat at the near end of the table where the Chief normally sat, Claire sat down to Teresa's left (where the Iron Crowbar normally sat), and Mary was to Claire's.

(Author's note: Yes, there's a reason why I'm giving you this tedious detail.)

Yolanda observed that Tanya was wearing her Police uniform of a light blue shirt with dark blue soft shoulderboards with one embroidered silver star on each shoulder, and dark blue pants with two thin lines of light blue piping. Above her right front pocket was a purple ribbon in a silver metal frame. Cindy was wearing her Sheriff's Department uniform with khaki-brown shirt, one gold star on each dark brown shoulderboard, dark brown trousers with two thin khaki lines of piping, and she was sporting a silver-bordered red rectangle, gold-bordered purple rectangle, and silver bordered blue rectangle.

Teresa's dark blue pants had a thick line of light blue piping, and her soft shoulderboards had round silver oak leaves... and four metal framed boxes: silver-bordered red, white, and blue boxes, and above them a gold bordered purple box. Claire Michaels was identically attired, but had a silver bordered purple box and Captain's bars on her shoulderboards. Mary Milton was wearing a dark blue skirt with no piping on it, silver Lieutenant bars on her soft shoulderboards, and a silver-bordered blue box. And for the record, Mary's hair was an almost-black dark blue.

"Welcome to the Women's Club!" Tanya said brightly with a mischievous gleam in her eyes. Everyone chuckled, and Tanya said "I'm Deputy Chief Tanya Muscone. I once ran the local Crime Lab and then the State Crime Lab here in our County. Chief Deputy Sheriff Cindy Ross was my predecessor as Deputy Chief, and she's now second-in-command of the Sheriff's Department, and is here on behalf of the Sheriff."

Tanya: "Lieutenant Commander Teresa Croyle is the TCPD Operations Officer, and the most-decorated Officer on the Police Force. You know Captain of Detective Michaels; she came here after being in the LAPD. And Lieutenant Mary Milton is the head of our Intel Branch, which the Crime Lab and CSIs are a part of."

Getting a small vibe, Cindy said "Don't be fooled by the blue hair. Lieutenant Mary Milton is the best Lieutenant on the Police Force, in my opinion. She once headed our Vice Squad, as well."

"Oh, I know that." Yolanda replied. "And I read about that ransomware attack on the hospital, and that you and your husband defeated it. That was very impressive."

"It was a team effort." Mary replied.

Tanya said "And speaking of the Team, you'll be meeting the Lieutenants of the Vice and Major Crimes Divisions next, most of whom are guys. Soooo, who wants to begin the interrogation... er, I mean interview?" Everyone chuckled, mostly politely.

"I'll start." said Teresa Croyle. "Why do you want to come here, to the TCPD?"

Yolanda said "For three reasons. First, I'm tired of the politics and the defunding the Police that's going on in Los Angeles and the other big cities. Partly because my contracts are one of the first places cut, and that creates instability in my income. And partly because all too often the work I do is ignored or just not used by George-Schwartz-financed District Attorneys that are more eager to release the criminals than to prosecute them. I've heard that this part of the country and this County in particular support their Police."

Yolanda: "Second, because I'm at the point in my career that I'd like to begin teaching others what I've learned over my 30 year career in crime scene investigation, and I think I can do that here. I've known Dr. Larry Woodrow for years, and I might have teaching opportunities at the University while I'm here... and maybe even if I'm not hired here. So I'm looking at the Town & County as a place to live."

Yolanda: "And third... I've heard of Commander Donald Troy. And closely related to the first reason I talked about, I've heard from wherever I go and whatever I do that the Iron Crowbar has his people's backs. And after being in places where that's not true, where cowardly superior Officers don't have our backs, working for someone who does has to be a godsend."

"Testify, sister." Claire Michaels said.

"So what exactly are you looking for?" Cindy asked as her ice-blue eyes bore into Yolanda. "Are you looking to be a specialist, who will also teach as you go? Are you looking for a leadership position, to be a supervisor over a CSI team?"

Yolanda said "Uh... yes!"

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Lieutenant Mary Milton brought Yolanda Grissom to Classroom 'E'. The table that normally was against the back wall, which normally had lunch or coffee sitting on it, was pulled out and eight chairs set around it. Seated in those chairs were Lieutenants Micah Rudistan, Theo Washington, Joanne Warner, Teddy Parker, and Christopher Purvis. Yolanda was invited to sit in the empty chair in the middle of the table instead of the end, to be the center of attention. Mary Milton sat at the end. This configuration mitigated any appearance of a row of Inquisitors lined up on one side and the poor victim on the other, and made for a more comfortable interview session.

It went a lot more smoothly than the previous interview. Yolanda was asked about how she treated a crime scene, what she would do there to process that scene, how she liked to lead others in the processing, what she would be expected to do, and what she hoped for and expected of other Officers at the scenes... especially those in charge of it.

She discussed evidence collection, but also got their attention when she said she did a lot of videotaping of the crime scene room(s) or area, and would create models, either on computer or physical 3-D structures. Her use of computer models to extrapolate bullet trajectories had been groundbreaking when she first began doing it.

Afterwards, Mary gave Yolanda a quick tour of the Intel Room, which impressed her very much. Then they walked across the parking lot to the Crime Lab & Morgue building. "Wow, you're very well equipped." Yolanda said.

"A lot of this was from before when the State all but forced all the local jurisdictions to use State Crime Lab assets." Mary said. "We still use this lab for quick results on some things we can test to keep an arrested person behind bars. I'll take you to the State Crime Lab here in Town next."

She led the way to the empty office in the back left corner of the building, northwest as the crow flies. Windows in the back and side walls looked over the parking lot and Police Headquarters, and the Fairgrounds with the River in the distance, respectively. Mary said "If you come on board with us, this will be you home away from home."

"Very nice." said Yolanda. It really was a nice office.

They went downstairs to the Morgue. Mary said "The M.E.s belong to the Coroner's Office, but Martha the M.E. is one of Commander Troy's very favorite people and he's one of hers, though neither will ever admit it. Kendell Ramsey is our field M.E."

Both Martha and Kendell were 'on location'. Martha was in the autopsy room, doing autopsy things on a recently deceased person, so Kendell gave the tour. As they watched Martha through the window, Kendell said "It's policy that no one but the performing M.E. be in the autopsy room while an autopsy is going on. But I can tell you that the door to the side goes to a smaller room that can be sealed off for autopsies involving hazardous materials. We've had a couple of those situations." (Author's note: 'Frozen Mothballs'; 'Smoke On The Water'.)

"Let's go to the State Crime Lab." Mary said. She drove Yolanda to the State Crime Lab building, which was on the east side of University Avenue and north of University Memorial Stadium.

As they were driving through Town, allowing Yolanda to see it, Mary said "After Commander Muscone was shot and paralyzed, she became the Director of the State Crime Labs. Commander Troy struck a deal to bring her back to the TCPD as Captain of Detectives, but he had to give them J.R. Barnes and Dr. Christina Cho, who were in our Labs but were in danger when the State required everyone to use their Crime Labs. He's the Director, and she's the Chief Chemist of all the State Crime Labs."

"He must think a lot of Commander Muscone, to bring her back like that." Yolanda said. "Don't get me wrong, but paraplegia would end most Police careers."

Mary nodded, then said "Commander Muscone is a Force of Nature. And yes, Commander Troy thinks the world of her. Chief Deputy Ross is his blood cousin, and Commander Croyle got her Medal of Valor by saving Commander Troy's daughter's life. We call them 'Crowbar's Angels', and they are family and then some. But Commander Troy treats all his Officers like they're his family. You were right when you said it's a godsend to work for that man..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Oh yes, I've heard all about you." said J.R. Barnes as Tanya and Mary introduced him to Yolanda in his office in the State Crime Lab building. "It's an honor to meet you."

"You're very kind." Yolanda said politely. "And you used to work for the TCPD before coming here?"

"Yes, as did Christina, our Chief Chemist." said J.R. Barnes. "Tanya, she's in the wet lab right now. Why don't you take Ms. Grissom to meet her? I would, but I've got a meeting with the SBI Regional Director on the other side of the building."

"Sure." said Tanya, with a twinkle in her eye. "Come with us, Mary." They went down the hallway and Tanya punched in the code to open the door. They went inside the large lab room, with three long benches running parallel down its length, fume hoods at the near end and far ends of the room, an Atomic Absorption (AA) spectrometer for reading metals against the left wall, with refrigerators and cooler against that wall further down the line.

Christina Cho was at the desk at the near end of the right-side long bench, nearest the door, wearing plastic lab glasses and a labcoat over her blouse, pants, and shoes that covered her feet and ankles (very sensible for a wet lab). There was a small computer, monitor, and printer on it. Teresa Croyle was standing to Christina's right.

Tanya introduced Christina to Yolanda as Mary got paper-wrapped plastic lab glasses and gave pairs to Yolanda, Tanya, and herself. They all put them on.

"Nice to meet you." Christina said. "I'm just monitoring this Technician getting re-certified to run tests for the State's crime labs." She also seemed to have a twinkle in her eye and a slight lilt to her voice as she said that.

Yolanda looked up to see a very tall, broad-shouldered man with strawberry-blonde hair at the near-side fume hood. Instead of lab glasses, he was wearing full-on goggles that gave better protection but were a bit cumbersome to wear. Yolanda noted that he was wearing a white collared button-down shirt and black necktie under his clean, bright white labcoat. He was also wearing patent leather black shoes that were shined to military standards, and dark blue pants with double stripes of thin, light-blue piping.

He went over to the AA device, checked it's output, and transmitted the answers to Christina's computer. She checked them off, then said "Eight for eight on the RCRA metals." The man then went down the aisle to the middle bench, and did a titrimetric test for chlorides, cracking ampules and pipetting liquids into plastic cups, then titrating liquid from a buret into the cup until the liquid changed color. He brought his handwritten answers over to Christina, who entered the data into the computer while he cleaned up, leaving the area spotless.

"That's the last one. You are officially re-certified for two years." Christina said. She turned to Tanya and said "He even hit the BODs spot-on."

"Excuse my ignorance, but what is a 'B-O-D'?" Teresa asked.

"Biochemical Oxygen Demand." the man said. "It tests how much a chemical depletes oxygen in the water over five days. And it's five days because the test's creator was French, and five days is the time water takes to flow down the River Seine from Paris to the ocean."

"So how -did- you hit these so close?" asked Tanya, who was looking at the BOD data Christine handed her. "It's the suckiest test in the world. You only had to hit three of the five samples, and the ranges are huge."

"I learned a little trick in the Midtown lab years ago." the ma said. "I put a drop of the sample into a COD vial. The more it reacts and changes the color, the higher the BOD will also be, so I already have a clue to the range, and can make dilutions accordingly." 'COD' referred to the Chemical Oxygen Demand test, which used pre-prepared vials of a chemical.

"Impressive." Yolanda said, then extended her hand. "I'm Yolanda Grissom, and you must be Commander Donald Troy."

I grinned as I took off my latex glove and shook Yolanda's hand. "Impressive, yourself." I saId. "What gave me away?"

Yolanda said "You're in uniform under that labcoat. I noticed everyone's uniforms during my interview with your leaders. Commander Muscone has the double-stripe of piping, while Lieutenant Commander Croyle and your Lieutenants have the thicker single stripe. You have the double stripe; ergo, you're higher ranking. And then there's the red hair, of which I most heartily approve." Yolanda was herself titian-haired.

"Good asskissing skills." Teresa said. "Our Sheriff will love you."

"He will, anyway." I said. "We're meeting him and the Police Chief for lunch. And I for one am starving. Shall we go?..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Mary was not joining us for lunch, so Yolanda rode shotgun in Tanya's van, and was totally impressed with the motorcycle handlebars with which Tanya drove. Tanya told her the story of BOW Enterprises making this and other creations that made it possible for Tanya to continue to have her Police career.

Teresa rode with me. I had put on my Duty Dress jacket with boxes over my white shirt and black tie, which was proper. We went into the Cop Bar behind Tanya and Yolanda, and to the back 'Command Room', where the Sheriff and Police Chief awaited us, also wearing Duty Dress jackets. After introductions, we ordered lunch, and Yolanda took Teresa's sound advice to try the Steak Caesar Salad.

The conversation seemed light and casual, but Sheriff Griswold and Chief Moynahan were expert interviewers and interrogators, and soon were drawing from Yolanda many of her experiences and cases over the years.

Afterwards, we headed back to TCPD Headquarters. Yolanda rode in the backseat of my Police SUV, with Teresa riding shotgun. Yolanda asked "Commander Troy, I have one question: why are you re-certifying to run samples in the Crime Lab? You really don't need to, do you?"

I said with a grin "Oh, that's so I'll have something to fall back on, if this trial job as a Police Officer doesn't work out." That caused a rare thing: Teresa laughed out loud.

"That's worked out pretty well for nine years." Teresa finally said.

"Seriously, it's come in handy." I said. "It really goes over well with juries when they find out I know what I'm testifying about. And it's come in handy. One time we needed samples run from a contaminated property, and the Mob-connected thugs with money invested in the project threatened to kill the Crime Lab techs and their families that ran the samples, whose names would invariably have to come out during trial discovery. So I went in and ran the samples myself." (Author's note: 'Environmental Hazards' Ch. 03-04.)

Shocked, Yolanda said "Did they go after your family?"

"Yes." Teresa said. "And the perps didn't live to regret it."

Seeing Yolanda recoil in the rear-view mirror, I said "No, we're not the ones that took them out. But we've faced some serious threats, and we have no illusions that we are at war with some very serious people whose actions do not take into account the value of human life. And you need to know that before making your decision to join us..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

When we got back, I invited Yolanda and Teresa to my office. Yolanda sat in the near-side hot chair while Teresa sat in the far-side chair. I brought up a diagram on my computer monitor, and slightly turned it so that Yolanda could see it.

"We're improving our rank structure, and this is what we'll have." I said, then indicated one rank, denoted by a silver bar with three black boxes, like an Army Warrant Officer rank. "What we will have, and have now, is this position between Sergeants and Lieutenants. It can be awarded to persons who are highly specialized, like the mechanics in our Motor Pool, and like you certainly would be in the Crime Lab."