Saving Jessica Winters

Story Info
An elf saves a woman at Christmas.
7.3k words
4.72
21.3k
47
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Preface:

This story is entirely fictional, I think. No one in the story is meant to represent anyone outside of the story. The descriptions of the elves are mine and mine alone. If you are one of those who would be offended because I didn't follow So-and-so's elf lore, please read something else. Otherwise, enjoy.

If you like, please vote it up, as this is an entry in the Literotica Winter Holidays Contest.

***

Jessica Winters slammed the door of her dingy apartment so hard, the picture of a covered bridge in the snow rattled on the water stained wall. She slipped the chain on and walked through the sitting area to the kitchen bar, setting her treasure on it.

She slipped off her coat and let the snow pile on the already creaky wooden floor. The coat ended up there, too. She wasted little time in grabbing a juice glass from the drainer and pouring it full from the bottle of cheap whiskey she'd just bought with most of her last cash.

She took her glass and the bottle and sat down at a small writing desk. The envelopes and papers she cleared to the floor with one whisk of her arm. Bills from the power company, late notices from the hospital, her severance letter from the station, the manila envelope containing her temporary divorce orders; all on the floor.

Jessica opened the top drawer and took out a sheet of writing paper, an envelope, and an old black ink pen. She took a swig of the whiskey and surveyed her apartment, all she had left. An old fake Christmas tree stood in the corner, three decorations were on it. The stupid Elf on the Ledge her aunt gave her sat on the mantle above the gas heater. The rest of the furniture was second-hand / garage sale chic. In other words, trash.

She opened the lower desk draw and stared at the handgun her mother gave her just before she moved to the city for her new job. It seemed like a lifetime ago. But it would all be over soon. She refilled her glass and wrote: "Dear Santa..."

***

"Here's the new batch," Tannivh said as he dumped a full sack next to Symylythianity's desk. The thud resounded in the nearly empty room. The Customer Relations department was on half-day shifts until the Covid crisis calmed down. As it was, her shift was reduced in staff due to the quarantining of 20 of her co-workers who thought it would be fun to play a real version of Chutes and Ladders in the Warehouse with the packing crew. Now both are working short-staffed and the pressure from The Big Guy was tremendous.

"Thanks, Tann," she said as she leaned back in her chair and stretched her 4'3" frame. She adjusted her black rimmed glasses and ran her thin fingers through her long blonde hair before digging her hand into the sack. Bringing out a handful of letters, she piled them on the desk in front of her. "Can I help you with anything else?" she asked her elven visitor.

"Smitty? How do you do it? I mean," he scratched his left ear, the one that bent out instead of up, "how can you stand to read all of these letters? Aren't they just whimpy-whiney-needy...." his question trailed off.

"Tann, I love my work. For a lot of these kids, this is their only hope and I like to think that I can be a part of the work that makes them smile, if only for a day." She rooted through the new stack and found a letter. Holding it up, she continued, "Take this one, Jessica Winters." She stared at the envelope and made a mental note of the address change. "Jessica has been writing to us since she was four. She's twenty-eight now, and still writing." Smitty smiled. Jessica had become a friend, of sorts; a one-way pen pal. She was very curious to read her latest missive.

Tann placed his hands on her desk and leaned forward. "Wouldn't you like to take a break and, maybe, have little elven fun?"

Smitty scowled. "Six feet, please. And, no. Is that all you elves think about?" She didn't allow, or want, an answer. "Before you go, take these." She handed a stack of letters over the desk. "These are all adult toy requests. I'm sure you'll have some fun with the elveens down there."

Tann's face lit up. "Wow. Thanks, Smitty!" Tann turned and left so quickly that his glitter aura hung for a moment before falling to the floor. Smitty sighed and shook her head. It must be nice to be two hundred years old.

She checked the clock. All four hands indicated that her shift was nearly over. She placed Jessica's letter to one side and read through the rest of the stack of thirty-four. Five minutes later, she had them sorted and ready for their respective pick-ups. A bell softly chimed.

Smitty picked-up Jessica's letter and slipped it into a pocket inside her red jacket behind the label that read 'Symylythianity Thingol: CR'. It was in violation of company policy to take mail from the mailroom, but this was Jessica, a friend, and she wanted, no, needed to read it, alone.

She stepped into the teleporter at the end of the room, pressed in a few numbers and was soon whisked off, appearing within seconds inside her own apartment. She slipped her jacket off, retrieved the letter, and hung the jacket over a nearby chair, the left side one of a pair that faced her fireplace. She placed the letter on the small table that sat between the chairs and snapped her fingers, causing the fireplace to erupt in a warm glow.

She smiled and walked to her small bedroom. A short shower washed the work away and she slipped into her nightclothes, a silky red teddy with reindeer slippers. Elves are nearly always barefoot. But Smitty loved her reindeer slippers. She walked into the kitchen and grabbed a plate of cheese from the refrigerator along with a bottle of wine and a glass. All of this she took to the sitting area.

Soon, she was feeling relaxed, warm, and ready to hear from Jessica. She looked at the return address, unusual for a letter to Santa, but normal for Jessica. Her earliest letters were from an address in Nebraska. She looked it up once and found that she lived on a farm. Somewhere along the way, she moved to an address in Phoenix, Arizona. Those letters reflected Jessica's separation from her father, the pain, but also the growth that came along with it.

For four years in a row, the letters came from Tempe, as Jessica was in college at ASU. Those were full of hope and excitement. She told Santa about her dreams, her loves, eventually, the loves of her life, especially Brian.

Over the past six years, Jessica had found her dream job in broadcasting and gotten married to her college sweetheart. Smitty fingered the letter with a smile. She knew that she was living another life through Jessica, but wasn't an elf allowed some pleasantries? She slid her finger under the seal and pulled the letter out.

"Dear Santa," The letter began the same, but there was something different. Jessica always wrote her letters by hand. The hand that wrote this was shaky. The ink strokes were hard and blotted. Smitty continued reading, "I guess this will be my last letter to you. In all the years that I've written, you have never let me down. I know that I didn't get everything I asked for, but you always found a way to provide me with what I needed. You can't help me now."

Smitty felt a pang of fear in the words; fear and hopelessness. She leaned forward in her chair and read on. "Nine months ago, Brian and I found out that we were expecting. The joy I felt at that moment cannot compare with the agony I feel now. Within a week, Brian left me. A month after that, my Mom died in an accident. Three months later, I miscarried the baby. I couldn't work, so they laid me off. Just this week, I received my severance, they hired a 'fresh face' to replace mine. I have bills I can't pay.

"Santa, thank you for all that you have done. I wish you could help me, but I know that even your magic can't fix this, can't fix me. By the time you read this, I'll be dead. Maybe I'll see you around? Jessica"

Smitty stared at the letter and read it eighteen more times. She couldn't. She can't. Smitty darted up and over to a call box. Pressing a few buttons, a voice answered,

"Tannivh Myrin."

"Tann, it's Smitty. I need your help."

"So, you ARE ready for some reindeer games, huh?"

"Tann! No, this is serious, okay?"

"Wow, Smitty, yeah, sure. What can I do?"

Smitty ran a plan through her mind; a crazy, hazardous plan. "Your brother works in the Transportation Department, right?"

"Yeah. He made third shift manager last month."

"Great. I need you to get me transported to an address in the past." Smitty fingered the envelope in her hand.

"Smitty," the elven voice sounded suspicious, "what's this all about?"

"I can't tell you, Tann. If I do I'll get us both in trouble."

"Beluar isn't going to let you violate regulations, you know."

"I know, I know," Smitty's voice grew desperate, "but this is a matter of life and death. Please, Tann. I need you to help me."

The line grew silent for a moment. "What's in it for me?"

Smitty scowled into the box. "Tann, I'm not going trade favors for this. If I have to do it another way, I will."

"First, I'm hurt that you would think that," Tann added a pause but Smitty didn't bother refuting it. "Second, " he continued, "all I'm asking for is one date."

"One date. When I get back, okay?"

"Deal." Tann's voice took on a more business tone. "What's the plan?"

Several minutes passed as Smitty laid out her half-baked idea. "You certifiable, you know that?" was all that Tann could say.

"Then you'll help me?"

He laughed lightly, "Yeah, for one date with the hottest elf in CR, I'll help."

Smitty blushed. She'd never considered herself 'hot', but she did garner plenty of attention from the elves around the complex. She was never sure why, after 375 years, she never married. "Thanks, Tann," she said softly.

"I'll call you back when I have details." He disconnected the call and Smitty turned, took a deep breath and began her preparations.

Two hours later, Smitty checked herself in the mirror. She had done her best to look human, as much as a 4'3" elf could. A red knit cap covered her ears and her hair was pulled back and draped down her back. She had raided her chore clothes for the red and green flannel shirt and blue jeans. The problem she discovered was her shoes. Since elves hardly ever wore shoes, she opted for the only real choice she had, her reindeer slippers.

Her call box interrupted her and Tann informed her that they were to meet in causeway 26 in thirty minutes. Smitty looked around as if saying goodbye. She knew the dangers of what she was doing, but she couldn't let Jessica hurt herself. She grabbed Jessica's letter and the one she wrote and her jacket and left for the rendezvous.

Tann was alone when she arrived. His eyes were narrow and darting. "Smitty, are you sure about this?"

"Tann, all I'm sure about is that Jessica needs me. I know I can help her if I can reach her in time."

He sighed in reservation. "Alright. Take this key." He handed her a large golden skeleton key. "Go to door number 57. It's down that hallway on the right." He pointed her in the direction. "And Smitty?"

"Yeah?"

"I've heard tales that the System can scramble your brain. It's not permanent, just jarring, or so I'm told. I like you, alot. Be careful, okay?"

Smitty smiled both at his concern and his tenderness. She leaned in to kiss his cheek. "I will, Tann. Thanks. And Tann?"

"Yeah?"

"Mail this letter in the nearest box, as soon as possible, okay?"

"Sure thing, Smitty."

She turned and walked down the hallway to door 57.

***

Describing a trip through the Transportation System would be like describing birth from a babies perspective, and just as gross and uncomfortable. The distress was added to because Smitty needed not just a place, but a time. She had selected the day before the postmark on the letter. Her hope was to arrive and get Jessica to see some glimmer of hope. That was the plan.

Smitty jerked awake to a most horrendous smell. After the smell came the realization that someone she didn't know was waving the nasty smelling substance under her nose. After that, the dull ache of the trip set in. She moaned.

"Are you alright, Miss?" a mask-covered officer asked.

"Yes," Smitty lied then grunted as she was helped up to a sitting position. "I'm fine, thank you."

"You sure? Can I get you anything? Take you anywhere? It's sorta cold out tonight. Do you live around here?"

Smitty blinked. Where did she live? She didn't recognize anything. She looked around again. Why was everyone so tall? "Why am I wearing reindeer slippers?" she asked out loud.

The officer laughed. "A very good question, Miss. I'm guessing you do live around here." He helped her up to her feet. "But where?"

Smitty felt something in her jacket pocket and pulled it out. The mist partially cleared and she pointed to the return address. "Here. I need to go here."

The officer looked at the address, then stepped back to reveal a run-down three-story brick row-house which sat in a line with several others. "Then you're home, Miss."

Smitty took stock of the place. It looked nothing like anything she'd ever known. But, then again, what had she ever known? She thanked the officer, tucked the envelope back in her jacket and walked up the flight of stairs, without leaving a footprint in the snow.

Smitty found the apartment easily enough. There was a name on the door. She checked the envelope. It matched. Am I Jessica Winters? She tried the knob but the door was locked. She patted her pockets and found a large golden skeleton key. She tried to force it into the lock, but there was no way.

The noise she was making, however, did bring someone to the door. "Who's there? Is that you, Brian? I told you to leave me alone! I don't ever want to see you again, your fucking loser!"

Smitty felt her brain slip left and right as the names 'Jessica' and 'Brian' melded and swirled. "It's not Brian." She said not really knowing what to say. There was a pause before the door opened, restrained by a chain.

"Who are you and what do you..." the woman paused and shifted her gaze down, "want?"

Smitty looked up at the woman and blinked. Something in the fog of her mind put the situation together. This was Jessica Winters. Whoever I am, she thought, I need to speak to Jessica. "I need to speak to Jessica Winters, please."

"I'm Jessica," the woman said, obviously peeved at being disturbed. "What do you want?"

Smitty shivered, which she thought was odd but had no idea why she thought that nor why she shivered. "It's very, very important," she replied, shivering again.

"Very well. Seeing as your shivering cold and I'm getting that way. I'll let you in," she paused, "But only for a moment." she shut the door, unhooked the chain, and opened it fully to let Smitty inside.

The apartment was, by human standards, small; by elf standards, luxurious. The small entryway opened to the right into a setting area with a sofa, a chair and a flat black panel on a table. A hallway extended down the left side to three doors, two on the left and one at the end. An open kitchen took up the back part of the sitting area, separated from it by a bar with two stools. Smitty walked into the sitting area, still a bit dazed, and gazed around it, noticing the worn furniture and pile of bills on the small desk.

Jessica walked in and around her to stop her further entry. "Now, please tell me what this is about, I was about to go out. And I'm warning you, if this has to do with Brian, you can just leave right now and tell that snake that I have lawyers, too."

Smitty's eyes saw the small, nearly empty Christmas tree. Then she gasped as she saw an Elf on the Ledge. "That's..." But the rest of that sentence never came. Smitty fainted.

***

Smitty awoke to several sensations all clamoring for her attention. One was the softness of the bed she was laying on. Another was the fact, the real fact, that she was not laying in that bed alone. And third, the person with whom she was laying, was very, very close.

Smitty blinked and remembered everything, not only the past hours, but also who she was and why she had come. She turned her head slightly and the woman next to her, Jessica Winters, shifted and moaned. Okay, so there was a fourth sensation - they were both naked!

Smitty sat up like a rocket, raking her hair over her ears. Jessica awoke with a start. "What's the matter?" she asked.

"What's the matter? What's the matter?" Smitty was hugging the blankets to her naked chest. "We're naked! In bed! Together!"

Jessica laughed. "Do you remember last night?"

Smitty blushed. She could only remember up to the point she saw Lyraesel's figure on the mantel. Did she do something inappropriate? Oh my, did she...? Did they...?

"Did we...?" she spoke aloud.

Jessica laughed again. "No, silly. You fainted in my sitting room. I carried you in to lie down in the guest room. When I went to bed, you were still shivering, so I thought this might be a nice way to warm up. But, no, to answer the horror in your eyes, no. We didn't do anything."

Smitty had not realized that horror was the word that best described her feelings at coupling with a human. She hadn't meant it to be but centuries of teaching does have its consequences. And she heard a glimmer of disappointment in Jessica's voice when she said it. "I'm sorry, Jessica. That was rude of me. I do thank you very much for taking care of me. I'm feeling very fine and fit now." She smiled as she spoke, attempting to disperse any hard feelings.

Jessica sat up and Smitty was immediately taken by the young woman's body. Her skin was smooth and tanned, no doubt from those summers at her Aunt's beach house. Her breasts were ample without being vulgar. Elven breasts are what humans call 'pert'. Even if she had wanted to, Smitty would be hard-pressed to make a 24a bra necessary. Jessica needed a 36c.

Jessica smiled as Smitty admired her. "Well, I guess you aren't so horrified after all?"

Smitty stammered and blushed. "I'm...I'm sorry...it's just..."

"Shhh," said Jessica. "It's fine." Then, abruptly changing subjects. "I'm hungry. How about some breakfast?" She stood up from the bed and Smitty nearly gasped at the fullness of her body and the curve of her butt. "Then," she continued, turning back to Smitty, "you can answer some questions."

Jessica left Smitty alone with her thoughts. Most of them ran along the lines of 'she knows who I am. How will I explain this? What have I done? What do I want to do?' That last one lingered longer than the others and caused Smitty no small amount of discomfort. I'm an elf, she told herself. And elves do not fraternize with humans. Why this was, beyond her being told so, she was not able to grasp.

She got out of bed and found her clothing laid neatly in a chair. Her only hope then was that Jessica had stripped her in the dark and had not seen her ears, nor her undergarments. It was a slim hope, but the only one she had. She got dressed quickly and was standing in the kitchen five minutes after Jessica had arrived there herself.

"You're a quick one," Jessica marveled. "What whets your appetite?"

Smitty was about to ask for a sauteed seal steak but caught herself in time. "I'll have what you're having, thanks."

"Good choice, since all I have is coffee and toast." Jessica prepared everything as Smitty stood in silence. Soon enough, everything was laid out on the counter and Smitty embarrassingly climbed up on the stool. Jessica smiled. "My furniture wasn't designed for Little People."

Smitty furrowed her brow. "I'm not a Little Person, just...short."

"Sorry," Jessica said, "my furniture wasn't designed for short people, then."

They ate the meager breakfast and finally Jessica spoke. "Question time, my guest."