Saving the Starlight Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Trinity sighed.

"Happy?"

"Very much so. You are a lovely man Fenton.

She felt a stirring against her left thigh and smiled. "Come on, let's organize breakfast."

He thrilled her when pretending he wanted to delay: "Do we have to?"

Yes, such a nice man.

* * *

Fortunately Trinity had shopped generously as Sally arrived with two extra people, Eric Yarrow, a professional fundraiser to be associated as a consultant and Shirley Gill whom Sally would propose be appointed as an additional trustee. After everyone had a glass of champagne and Sally called the toast for the success of their endeavours to save the Starlight, Trinity and Fenton served breakfast.

Everyone embarrassed Fenton by talking about the big interview with him that appeared in the previous day's newspaper.

Trinity who'd read it with her father had been astonished to find how much he'd crammed into his life including in Australia picking up vocational competency certificates in basic commercial building construction, commercial building site management and commercial building leasing and management.

Her father said, "Your Fenton has obviously set himself up to become a build and lease tycoon in this city."

Trinity pretended not to have noticed the branding of 'Your Fenton'.

The meeting began with the Mayor's wife Angela Radwanksi saying when being formally welcomed on to the committee by Sally: "Fenton you answered positively to every question you were asked in that lovely newspaper spread. And the reasons why you decided our town needs to retain the Starlight as a nostalgic link of substance with the city's past was beautifully expressed young man - you have a big future in this city. Congratulations Fenton."

The meeting agreed to adopt the proposal that the appropriate steps be taken to have Shirley officially approved to membership of the board of the registered charitable trust, increasing membership to seven trustees. Trinity presented names that she and Sally had gathered to add to the names of trust promoters to complete the required twenty names as required by Government legislation to have the Wainui Community Starlight Cinema registered as an incorporated society.

Fenton was invited to speak and informed the meeting of the intention of Stan Pennington, as incoming president of Wainui Rotary, to adopt fund-raising and assistance to the Starlight Cinema Fundraising Trust as his presidential project.

"That means some of the biggest names in our business community will be appointed to run that project," Fenton smiled.

He was applauded and as he went to take down the samples of engineering drawings of the support system for the cinema ceiling, Trinity suggested he repeat his 'Crusade' speech that had won over Steve and his wife Blanche to support the Starlight campaign to the hilt.

Appearing slightly embarrassed, Fenton said, "The words just tumbled out, I guess echoing my honed thoughts with feeling. I said the fund-raising effort must be driven like a crusade to turn a large proportion of the local population into believers. The total population in the catchment area of Wainui City CBD is 102,000 people. If only just 30,000 of those people become believers and during the year each came forward with fifty bucks the trust would bank $1.5 million and we'd be halfway toward our fund-raising target!"

There was a brief silence and then Angela Radwanksi stood and said "Bravo Fenton, that is so inspirational" and began clapping. Everyone rose to clap Fenton and call out compliments. He endured it although looking rather bashful.

Sally beamed and said, "It knocked my socks off when Trinity told me what Fenton had told Stan and Blanche when they met socially. Trinity organized that meeting incidentally. Since then I've spoken to Blanche - she has committed to supporting us, using her position, talents and contacts to the max."

The chairman said, "Now let's hear from Eric, a professional fundraiser. After that I'll propose we hire Eric to coordinate and manage our fundraising efforts and through sitting at board meetings as a consultant to contribute ideas as well. Trinity and I have prepared an employment contract with Eric's input which I propose we shall consider."

"The time has come to go to the public on Wednesday when theMetro will give us a front page pointer to our centrespread advertising launch - the two-pages being offered at a 75% discount. Fenton has kindly placed $20,000 into out bank account as an interest-free loan to provide seeding finance until we become self-supporting through income. Thank you Fenton."

* * *

Sally left last after helping with the dishes, her wink at Trinity being noticed by Fenton.

Trinity glanced, she hoped unnoticed, at the passage to the bedroom. "What should we do now?

Fenton looked surprised as he hadn't expected her to want to stay with him.

"Let's go on the up-river lunch cruise."

Trinity concealed her disappointment and said brightly, "Oh yes, I haven't done that for such a long time."

She called River Cruises and booked and asked, a little husky, "What now."

"Sex or walk to the steamer wharf?"

It was much too direct for her. She said there was just enough time to walk and look at shops on the way through the city. So they walked.

"If I had said 'Come and check out the wallpaper in my bedroom', would you have taken the bedroom option?"

Trinity met Fenton's gaze without flushing and wondered was she becoming more used to his outlandish ways.

She said, "Probably, it's just your suggestion sounded so confrontational but don't misunderstand me, I will go to bed with you and probably quite soon if you keep pushing."

She was grateful to see him grin.

They boarded the veteran steamer, going into the saloon deck, where the food and drinks were more expensive and a three-piece band providing music for dancing. Shortly after being taken to their table for two Paul Wentworth appeared, kissed his daughter and invited them to join 'us'.

Trinity shot Fenton a look as a silent question and he nodded, shaking Paul's greeting hand.

She expected her father was aboard with a boozy crowd so they'd probably be in lively company. Instead, walking to the table she almost froze to the deck and an elegant woman rose to greet them, not staying on her butt as many elder women tend to do.

What shocked Trinity was perhaps for the first time when she was accompanied by Fenton a woman about to be introduced had looked at her first instead of looking at Fenton. In fact the woman's smiling eyes remained fixed on Trinity.

Oh God, thought Trinity, she was meeting her stepmother-to-be for the first time.

That was more or less confirmed when Paul introduced her to Mrs Kimberly Kennedy with Paul adding proudly, "Who has become rather special to me."

That declaration was further reinforced when Kimberly swung back to look at Trinity as soon as Fenton had acknowledged her greeting and she said, "Please sit beside me dear, I have been looking forward to seeing the person who fills Paul's proud descriptions."

Kimberly dressed in a tailored pleated satin suit with puffed sleeves and pink Fedora was beautifully groomed. She was in her early fifties, close to Paul's age.

Trinity thought the sly old dog had chosen premium this time,

"So you know my father rather well?" Trinity said.

"Oh are there other women?" Kimberly responded but that was fended off with ease by Trinity who said with a smile, "Rather a number in respect of clients because he has the reputation of being charming to women."

"I meant socially."

"No more than what one would expect."

"Answered so diplomatically Trinity - I had been warned the intellectual you is rather awesome."

"Oh Mrs Kennedy, please do not allow my father to fill your pretty head with rubbish about me."

"I'm sure he mentioned flattering and impeccably discreet but please, call me Kimberley - you too Fenton. I trust it doesn't matter Trinity that I'm scarcely old enough to be..."

She stopped.

"My mother?"

Kimberley said "Yes' almost at a whisper and lowered her eyes in a smile when Trinity added, "I didn't mean any embarrassment."

Oh God, Kimberley really was to become her stepmother, Trinity thought, looking at her father who was hanging on to every word being exchanged by the women. Normally as soon as he introduced Trinity to a new female friend he'd begin chatting to whoever else was in the group or would stare in the mid-distance and looking bored if no one else was present.

The pressure was too much.

"Dad?" Trinity almost yelped.

Their drinks had still not arrived by the band had just started up and Paul said, "Fenton, would you kindly waltz Kimberley around the floor?"

"It's a foxtrot," Fenton corrected and skipped into gear because of the killer look he received from Trinity who jerked her head to the dance-floor.

As soon as the couple were out of earshot Paul apologized. "I've been thrown into this as we had no idea you'd be aboard this cruise and it's partly your fault through somehow sensing..."

"Somehow sensing? Dad, you're in a daze over her. I like her dad, so relax. Has she said yes?"

Paul grabbed his pre-lunch whisky from the waitress before it touched the table and took a gulp.

"Ah much better. Now where were we?"

"She's accepted your proposal and you want me out of the house so you can take her to bed, don't you?"

The waitress, placing Trinity's wine on the table spilt some and sniggered and immediately apologized.

"It's all right," Trinity said in a wind-up. "My father is giving me a hard time."

Paul, however, had regained his composure and mouthed something at Trinity which she took for granted would be 'You little bitch'.

He smiled, she smiled back and for Paul that signalled the crisis was over.

"Marry her dad, providing she checks out. I was thinking of shifting in with Fenton any way."

Paul said that was marvellous and made no effort to check if that were the truth.

"Dance with me darling."

As they came up to Kimberly and Fenton, Paul called, "She approves," sending Kimberley into a wonderful smile.

Paul whirled Trinity away just as she heard Fenton say to Kimberly, "What was that about?"

Ohmigod what ease that oaf possessed at being deceitful, Trinity thought. Fenton had more than enough brainpower to know what that comment was about.

More to Come

12