All Comments on 'Scales Balance'

by Hooked1957

Sort by:
  • 137 Comments
blackrandl1958blackrandl1958over 4 years ago
Sweet story, Hooked.

Right out of the ballpark. Full marks from me. Randi.

Bebop3Bebop3over 4 years ago
Excellent story, Hooked.

Thanks for sharing your work.

26thNC26thNCover 4 years ago
Happy Days!

Another Hooked1957 story here in LW , and another damned good one too. Traci did him dirty, but was also the instrument of his recovery and happiness. The funeral scene was really great, but I was hoping he would spit on Bat's casket. Much needed great story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Question open

It would be a nice note to mention how Bat died. Maybe even a mention on S-I-L reaction to little sis adultry.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
The Beginning

Didn't match the end.What did the funeral have to do with the story?

brownmobbrownmobover 4 years ago
WOW nice finish

love the discovery, the hate, and the redemption, happy ending. thank you

MurfyMurfyover 4 years ago
What happened to Bat?

Why did her relationship with Bat not work out? He was the love of her life.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Its....nice

Just blah. nothing interesting.

3*

PowersworderPowersworderover 4 years ago

That was a riveting story, but it left me wanting more details!

What happened to Bat? Why did he die in his forties? Why did he leave Traci and suddenly get married when he was young, and what happened to his first wife?

Traci was unmarried when they met at the end and obviously not happy, having noticeably aged and put on weight. I'm guessing she was childless as well?

Finally, what did she mean about the scales not balancing for her? I'd say the karmic scales balanced perfectly for Traci. She behaved like a selfish bitch and treated Jimmy like shit, so she deserved to be miserable after hurting him so badly.

HarddaysknightHarddaysknightover 4 years ago
I always look for the Hook.

I enjoy this author's stories and this was no exception. I would have left out some of the back story. Some will wonder how Bat died, but it wasn't important to the story. It is always good to have a Bat rather than pickaxe handles involved. Nice job with this one.

vickitvohiovickitvohioover 4 years ago
okay

I enjoyed the story but felt the ending stopped abruptly or was flat. You certainly could have brought the mom or sister back in.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
I agree with "vickitvohio" completely

And you left too many strings untied. Look of rage, Bat, her family's reactions, and the slut's warped version of what she did. Good writing style and grammar though. Get a good proof reader for the plots and you are gold.

The Style GuyThe Style Guyover 4 years ago
The good guy wins

And the cheater losses. Thanks for another great tale.

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xover 4 years ago
Thoughts

Minor continuity glitch - She was going to see her mother "every few weeks," now it's "several weekends a month?" There are only a few weekends a month, to me, several is more than a few, that means she's going EVERY weekend!

"Although the facts looked pretty bad, I didn't actually have proof of her infidelity, and I suppose there could be something I was missing." - That may be TECHNICALLY true, but come on! She leaps into the arms of her first love (who conveniently doesn't have his wife with him!), then suddenly starts "visiting" her Mom, who sees her for just a few minutes. Even if this wasn't LW, that's a blueprint for cheating.

Heh, when she said she was going to visit he mother, he should have said that he missed her too, and would go with her!

She stands him up for their Anniversary dinner?! If her mother DID have an emergency, she couldn't call him?

Women with small breasts often still have sensitive nipples; they shouldn't be ignored.

"Do you still hate me so much you can't even be civil to me in public?" - WTF? He held the door for her, didn't slam it in her face. Hell, he didn't even recognize her anyway! What did she expect, a warm hug?

She doesn't think the scales balanced for her, just because SHE didn't make out okay? She threw away the guy who was devoted to her for the guy that destroyed her, and she ended up the worse for it. Sounds balanced to me!

Wang4Wang4over 4 years ago
With one Exception

A great read for me! Thank you

The one exception is the very beginning. The whole funeral portion left me with several questions which weren't answered. I did approve of the happy ending for your male protagonist

Please keep writing

Ed

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Great Story

Great story, well paced and quick tale. Scales did balance after all.

breville1breville1over 4 years ago
Hmmmm......

I understood what goes around comes around but the story just didn't click with me. It seemed disjointed, too much time between the written events.....

If her problem was an issue with her first love (and who doesn't remember the highs and depths of the first love), it would seem normal to explain it to the new man since he had shown tremendous patience and obvious love for her. For me it would be about trust to explain why I was so hands off. It would be better to let him know rather than string him out and ultimately dump him or continue. His intentions were so obvious that even she could not notice. If she really didn't want another man and preferred to dwell in the depths of her long departed first love, she should have made it clear to him. She didn't, so for him, it was game on. While it may be normal not to reveal your past history, inevitably the past can catch up and it can be painful. Here, her behavior called for a better explanation (OK we did get an explanation after grandma's birthday party).

Then, when she meets her first love again at her grandma's 70th birthday, she immediately gives him a very warm welcome hug, and stays attached to him throughout the evening, even after husband intervenes, effectively reminding her she's married. Now, that too me, is very strange, especially since the guy had left her high and dry and so bitter that for three years she didn't go with any guy.....and not only that but how could she suddenly forget that she was in love with her husband of ten years (? or was it 8?) and immediately start behaving like as though she was back in high school with another guy right in front of 50 guests, many of whom knew her and her husband (remember they were married for ten years). Sudden mental aberration?? This was too drastic a change in character. I think more discrete behavior would be normal. Couples are especially careful when they meet up with old flames, not to give the wrong impression to their partners. Here it was just blatant...and after a happy 10 year marriage? Just doesn't make sense to me.

He comes back after 6 years for the guy's funeral and a further 4 years or so passes before meeting her in a bar and beating up her date. And finally, meeting again after another extended period at a restaurant with his new wife to emphasize the balancing of scales (new wife is slimmer and younger, to boot!).

People make mistakes, cause immense pain and often realize their errors and behave differently, often leading to reconciliation, especially in long relationships. The question to ask is whether the grass is really greener on the other side? You can cross over because you don't have the discipline/faith/trust in the relationship but often that grass soon loses it greenness. Not always, because relationships are very complex. A few lessons are learnt on the way.

At the beginning, at the funeral, was an opportunity to draw her back but teach her a few lessons on the way. Why would he attend the funeral if he really had no interest in her after 6 years. Again, after another few years, in the bar, he feels compelled to beat the shit out of her date who was "handling" her, with the obvious possibility of serious negative consequences for him. Why? Because he no longer gives a shit for her? Come on!! For me, clearly opportunities missed for a reconciliation. Still, the author was clearly writing towards a different aim.

Anyway, while I liked the story overall, I didn't like the ending. If you didn't already guess, I prefer reconciliation stories!

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Great read, great story. Great ending.

Did I say great a few times. I’m amazed a lawyer would sneak around and cheat on a great guy ,for a guy who dumped her for another. But that’s they way you wrote it.

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xover 4 years ago
Comments

@Anonymous Re: "The Beginning" - "Didn't match the end.What did the funeral have to do with the story?" Um, it's the funeral of they guy Traci left him for.

@Murfy Re: "What happened to Bat?" - Timeline IS a little unclear, but that was Bat's funeral, Traci was the grieving widow, so I assume it DID work out. I believe the other two guys were AFTER his death.

@Powersworder - "That was a riveting story, but it left me wanting more details!"

"What happened to Bat? Why did he die in his forties? Why did he leave Traci and suddenly get married when he was young, and what happened to his first wife?" - Who really cares? He died young, maybe an accident, maybe illness, good riddance! I DO have some curiosity, but it's not really pertinent. A good guess is he knocked first wife up. Maybe he was already divorces, maybe got divorced after meeting back up with Traci, still not pertinent.

"Traci was unmarried when they met at the end and obviously not happy, having noticeably aged and put on weight. I'm guessing she was childless as well?" - Again, timeline not clear, but pretty sure it was Bat's funeral, of course she's not happy! The love of her life is dead, her first husband is gone, and she's fishing in the shallow end of the dating pool. Childless? Maybe, again I don't think it matters.

"Finally, what did she mean about the scales not balancing for her? I'd say the karmic scales balanced perfectly for Traci. She behaved like a selfish bitch and treated Jimmy like shit, so she deserved to be miserable after hurting him so badly." - I agree with you there, said something similar myself!

@vickitvohio and Anon, I don't see any loose ends. Why bring mother an sister back in? They're his EX in-laws, m-i-l covered for Traci's cheating, why would he have anything to do with them?

Huedogg2Huedogg2over 4 years ago
the good guy didn't win shit

the good guy should have walked out when the other guy had his arm around her. That moment showed she has no respect for her husband. The rest was gravy. Also I never get any man risking their selves for a whore. SHE made her choice and it wasn't you. She could have been getting gangbanged by a gang of goats and I wouldn't lift a finger. I don't understand so many people that give their lives or get injured for some slut that in the end goes back to the guy that almost killed you. Out of some sense of doing the right thing for a person that doesn't have any idea about what the right thing is.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Pretty good story

But I have a few quibbles. Some silly ones - how does one become clever about art after one night at a gallery opening? Why didn't he go looking for his brother-in-law with some questions at the party? Since she seemed to be gone "several" weekends per month, why didn't he wise up sooner or at least have more questions? During the divorce did he expose his wife's cheating to everyone? Like his Mother-in-law, all their friends and Bat's family? What happened after the funeral and why did Bat's wife recognize him? Why did he go to the funeral if he was so angry after all those years, despite undergoing therapy? And in the end, which felt rushed, how could he not recognize his ex-wife whom he had spent ten years adoring and every year since, hating? And I'm pretty sure the scales are not balanced on either side. Other than that, well played.

4 stars

TailakaTailakaover 4 years ago
Re: Anonymous 10/8/19

-"Why didn't he go looking for his brother-in-law with some questions at the party?"

He went directly to Traci to get between her and Bat and to show the 'Flag' as Traci's husband.

-"Since she seemed to be gone "several" weekends per month, why didn't he wise up sooner or at least have more questions?"

Traci's Father died suddenly so her wanting to spend time with Mom sounded ok. Plus he said her phone was ALWAYS on. That's why the call about Lisa tipped him off.

-"During the divorce did he expose his wife's cheating to everyone? Like his Mother-in-law, all their friends and Bat's family?"

His MIL knew about the affair. She visibly blushed when he saw Bat at her B-day Party. MIL also knew Traci was driving 4 hours(round trip) to her house but only spending an hour or less visiting her.

-"What happened after the funeral and why did Bat's wife recognize him?

TRACI was Bat's wife. This was 5 years AFTER the divorce and Traci had Married Bat by then. That's why "Bat's Wife & MIL" recognized him. Traci said at the end 2 marriages were her limit. Traci was refering to him & 2nd Hubby Bat(now dead).

-"Why did he go to the funeral if he was so angry after all those years, despite undergoing therapy?"

Bat was a bastard, ruined his life, and he wanted to smirk at Traci's misery. Remember 4 years AFTER the funeral he broke his hand at the bar and THEN got therapy and met his new wife.

-"And in the end, which felt rushed, how could he not recognize his ex-wife whom he had spent ten years adoring and every year since, hating?"

She was 10 years older 25 pounds heavier and he saw her for a second from the side. He even said "She looked familiar" in that second.

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xover 4 years ago
Further Comments

@Huedogg2 - Time line isn't clear, but I think Bat might already have been dead when she was dating. Actually, time line IS clear. It's been four years since Bat's funeral.

@Anonymous Re: "Pretty good story" - Bat's wife recognized him because she was Traci! Therapy isn't a cure-all, so he wanted to gloat at Bat's death. Again, timeline unclear, but Traci had aged quite a but, and she was just someone he happened to bump into, wasn't necessarily trying to recognize. While they were married for ten years, but at the funeral it was six years since they were married, another four years to the restaurant incident, and not ten years since he saw her last. So 20 years since they were married, seen her twice. He might have recognized in a social situation where he might have expected her to show up, but this wasn't.

Longhorn__07Longhorn__07over 4 years ago
OK, but....

Not a bad story, but the beginning just doesn't work with the ending (I have no idea whether the burial was the guy the ex-wife had had the affair with or not--the time line is confusing/contradictory). The dialogue is somewhat unnatural and stiff. Everything seems to be 'at arm's length' with respect to what should have been very emotionally charged actions. The betrayed spouse has one moment of anger, a moment of spite at the beginning of the story, and that was it. I think you have some talent, but you need to put more work into the crafting of a story. Just my opinion....

Just_WordsJust_Wordsover 4 years ago
Good story. Right ending. 5*****

He did the honorable thing for his ex-wife, and ultimately rebuilt his life. He couldn't have done much better if he truly loved her. Good job.

ValintValintover 4 years ago
Eh

Felt like life was something that just happened to this guy, rather than him having any real agency.

She's unhappy because the love of her life happened to die a few years after they finally found each other. He's happy that he randomly tripped over a supermodel who inexplicably fell in love with him.

I guess we're supposed to shrug and chalk that up to karma, because it feels completely unearned: She could just as easily have lived to her 80s with the love of her life, or he could have lived alone with his bitterness forever, for as much as he was doing to cause a happy ending for him (or an unhappy one for her).

Maybe we're supposed to look at it that his actions in standing up for her in the bar earned him his happiness? Except that it didn't come across as him doing a good deed, and more that he was a psychotic mess who unloaded his psychological issues on a random stranger.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
not gonna lie

him playing 'hero' was not worth it.

but you MADE it worth it.

cuz hot asian wife. soooo, you get a pass. and traci, the slut and coward, gets to see the man she totally wronged with hot asian woman. win win. never...and i mean never...underestimate how fragile the female ego is. he just smashed it to pieces. firm a cups beat saggy used titties anyday. tight and flexible beat soft and squishy anyday.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago

The disjointed timeline reduced the story’s impact. That’s a presentation problem. Clearly, from the comments, I’m not the only one confused about the sequence of events. Given that, 3* is fair. Keep practicing.

Impo_64Impo_64over 4 years ago
@Huedogg2 pointed clearly...

@Huedogg2 pointed clearly the weak point of this story: "I never get any man risking their selves for a whore"...He risked to go to jail or worst for a selfish whore...2*

enderlocke27enderlocke27over 4 years ago
i liked it

had some "fill in the blanks" in there but the story was good enough to look past it

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
YEA, YEA, YEA

BORING!

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
I really like the symmetry of this story

It seems like we have a modern Guy de Maupassant, Thank you very much. Full marks from me.

SomeOneTwoThreeSomeOneTwoThreeover 4 years ago
Good story.

Some parts were a little unclear.

But as sbrooks pointed out,

they didn't really matter that much.

But more clarity would've made

the story more solid.

"The look" might have been

handled better too.

It was made to sound

too definite.

It is, of course, short

for "The look of love".

The theme of poems and songs.

I believe the look is a solid

from a parent to a child.

But from a lover?

Sadly it is as likely to disappear as not.

I liked this story.

Even though it wasn't as solid

as it could've been,

I give it top ratings.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Solid, interesting story.

It was well written. A minor quibble. Yamaguchi is a Japanese name.

njlaurennjlaurenover 4 years ago
A good story

But for some reason it left me feeling empty. The protagonist is a decent guy but Stacy,who had been so hurt by Bat, jumps into his arms after 10 years of marriage and totally ignores hubby? I can understand carrying a torch,I understand how irrational some people are, but Stacy makes no sense. If she truly loved Bat then why is she sneaking off to see him,why even stay married, they didn't have kids, she was successful,so why do what she did,what was the point? She acts like this is just about lust,where she wants to stay w hubbie while cheating , but it obviously was more than that. Her behavior doesn't add up and neither does her family's,it is like they turned him into the bad guy.Stacy doesn't even have the decency to explain her behavior,she just acts like the husband doesn't exist,and she never really shows any regret at what she did to him,even later on she curses her fate and never acknowledges how much she hurt him.

It isn't that I think a woman couldn't do what Stacy did,the bad boy syndrome is well established and the trail of destruction is often wide,but the story just doesn't fit with her,it really doesn't. Otherwise well written.

blackrandl1958blackrandl1958over 4 years ago
Of course, it must be this way.

A paragon of masculinity, such as Huedogg, knows what "should" be done in all cases. A liberal application of violence, fraud and murder is the solution to all problems. I find it much more likely that this is the likely path most take.

Hooked has given me permission to say that if you enjoy stories such as this, tune in on October 15 for some classic bitch and bastard burning stories. Not many, just half a dozen or so. No thermonuclear devices, no bludgeons, no violence, just leaving a bad situation and finding a better one. Karma, just exposure, the legal system and a life well lived shall be our tools. If you would enjoy a burn of that sort, along with well written and crafted stories by Qhml1, MattBlackUK, Todd172, Norafares, Harddaysknight, Stev2244, Bebop3, and Randi, be sure to tune in on October 15.

Thanks again for the story and your permission, Hooked. Randi.

KalimaxosKalimaxosover 4 years ago
Old flame obscessions are childish

Why do women have a thing for guys from their past? I never had a relationship that ended and I wanted to look back. Over means over. There are 3.5 billion OTHER people of the opposite sex in the world. Its not rocket science. Grow up, move on.

JbRobertssonJbRobertssonover 4 years ago

Nicely done, good story with great writing. Well done. And I'm glad things worked out for Jimmy. His first wife never loved him, so practically anyone else would be a vast improvement. He struck gold with Lucy.

I enjoyed the story. Thanks for posting.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
This is your best story yet - 5 stars

Your writing has improved. This is your best Traci story yet. Your usual Traci story has the character being over the top selfish. This Traci was irrationally stuck on her "true love." Husband was too oblivious for your description of him being a genius. Traci told him that she was devastated after a bad breakup and she should have figured out it was Bat as soon as he showed up at the party.

Since she was a Traci, she forgot about her 10th Anniversary and returned after a two hour drive stinking of sex. That attitude would have helped me get over her fast. I liked the story and this is the first 5 star score I've given you. Thanks

reasonable man

ReedRichardsReedRichardsover 4 years ago
He couldn’t have gotten over Traci, anymore than . . .

. . . the author has gotten over the real Traci, if he bothered to go tp Batman’s funeral to gloat.

Mr 1957 has so many stories in which Traci comes out the loser for having cheated. It would be interesting to see him try a reconciliation story with her, just to see if he could do it.

Best part? The look.

penneydog55penneydog55over 4 years ago
Outrageous!

I'm not being cynical but I would have Pissed on his coffin!...Story is Great Thanks 5 Stars ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ WOOF!

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xover 4 years ago
@Longhorn_07 Re: Timeline

Funeral was her lover, Bat, six years after divorce.

Bar incident, four years after funeral.

Restaurant encounter, ten years later.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
The feedback here is appallingly stupid by people who think this is a good story

This is not a well done well written well plotted out story. It's filled with boilerplate nonsense they he is ripped off from 500 other different loving wives stories.

Who the fucks gets married somebody without knowing anything about the pass or background? Unfortunately we see this sort of angle or subplot used in so many of these stories and it's just unbelievable.

And of course when the husband finally figured out he has to throw up his food. That's like obligatory for some reason....

The party scene where the other guy shows up and the wife spends her entire time with for all the friend Is more of the same sort of generic boilerplate subplot That we see in every one of these stories.

In real life any husband should be extremely curious about who this other guy Is Especially given the fact that the story is premised on the idea that this husband knows nothing about his wife's background or passed in any great detail. That they could drive home from the party and he not ask a single question about who this old friend that the wife is Clearly obsessed with... Simply strains believability

This story is highly overrated poorly done and extremely boring. The husband appears to be so stupid that I'm almost cheering for the wife

Harryin VA

PowersworderPowersworderover 4 years ago
@pennydog55

"I'm not being cynical but I would have Pissed on his coffin!"

In the middle of the funeral service?! :-)

Yeah, Bat was an asshole. I would totally have gone to his funeral to gloat as well. "I'm very sorry for your loss, Traci. You two were obviously soulmates and belong together. I hope you're reunited very soon."

alfiemoon1alfiemoon1over 4 years ago
great story

great story really enjoyed this one, would love a follow up. maybe traci's story. would of liked more background on bat aswell . thanks for a great read.

mcbsmcbsover 4 years ago

"In fact, he was a motherfucking son of a bitch whore-bait bastard, and I, for one, couldn't have been happier he was dead. " Reminds me of that old song, "I'll be glad when you're dead, you rascal you!"

ReedRichardsReedRichardsover 4 years ago
Mr Dogg said that there’s no way . . .

. . . any man should risk problems defending a whore. But that’s just it; sometimes you just have to take action, without spending a lot of time weighing things in the balance.

ReedRichardsReedRichardsover 4 years ago
He’s 6’ and 180 lb and has only been in one fight in his lifetime, . . .

. . . and lost that one, yet he’s able to pummel a guy 6’4” and 225 lb to unconsciousness? How does any man get through adolescence and high school with having only one fight to his credit and not have been a pussy? Guys fight; it’s part of growing up.

More, if he’s only been in one fight, how does he know how to fight, well enough to beat a bigger guy into hospitalization? These things just do not go together.

LuciousLadyMaryLuciousLadyMaryover 4 years ago

The only LW cliche' you missed was the new girlfriend having big boobs. Other than that you hit 'em all!

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
I agree with Harryin VA

This story is pathetic! The husband got what he deserved. Going into a marriage with someone that you don't know much about and who is clearly hiding shit and doesn't even show any love for you is the dumbest thing a person can do. You have to be a complete moron. And that is what this husband is. The wife was a heartless cunt which is the standard in LW.

kimi1990kimi1990over 4 years ago
I could almost see the spittle flying, Harry.

I've heard of people being so enraged they foam at the mouth and become incoherent. I think you were there. Reminds me a little of dear old Frontlinecaster, sadly, finally permanently institutionalized. Careful, Harry, you're beginning to sound like a candidate for the men in white coats. Maybe you can join FLC in exile. Chill, dude, it's a story. They didn't really do any of these things, they don't even exist.

I enjoyed the story, Mr. Hooked. How about another?

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Lazy writer...

The writer is competent enough and understands grammar, pacing and story structure but seems to be only going through the motions to get to angst and recovery. And maybe providing comment fodder.

We have a woman of Asian extraction with alabaster skin, a guy who knows exactly what is going on when the rhythms of his life with his wife begin to change, and, as has been noted, nearly every cliché of the genre other than bib boobs on the happy ending wife.

Sloppy and lazy, if well put together.

26thNC26thNCover 4 years ago
Harry

I don't think the HarryVa comment Kimi referenced was actually written by Harry. The commenter used passed instead of past twice in his rant. Harry has never made a mistake. Also, Randi's second comment gives great hope on another dark day in LW. Oct 15th, a light in the distance. Great story Hooked.

oldbearswitcholdbearswitchover 4 years ago
Thanks Hooked, another good one from you. If your personal style as a writer is not to chase down every detail of all the characters, so be it. Not knowing the two bad people's final details didn't ruin it for me at all Liked the fact he hated her for

Plenty of stories on here where some dude or dudette is wronged, and gets no recovery or happy ending.

Glad you wrote a happy ending for him. Saludos!!

InfiniteCycleInfiniteCycleover 4 years ago
What a lot of whiners.

Yes, he got what he deserved.

He got a woman with a true heart that he adored.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Would like to see...

...more payback to bat, and Traci, and even her mom. But, this was still a very good story, and well written. 5 stars. Thanx!

Loklie

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Pretty good...

But it needed a little more effort on the part of the author. There were too many glaring holes, including: 1) It is not believable that the wife's mother and sister would remain silent (not speak to the wife and warn her to clean up her act) for three weeks after they knew the husband was suspicious; 2) Why would the wife disappear on a Friday and stay gone all weekend without saying anything to her husband about it, if she normally didn't leave until Saturday?; 3) Why does the wife seem like such an airhead, if she supposedly is a top-ranked, successful attorney? For one thing, wouldn't she shower and brush her teeth BEFORE leaving her lover's place? Wouldn't she be more perceptive about reading her husband, and know something was wrong? And why would an intelligent woman with a highly-trained legal mind instantly throw away a man she supposedly loved for ten years and jump into bed with a man who had abused her the way Bat had? It might have been more believable if she had initially resisted Bat, but he pursued her and somehow wore her down; 4) At the beginning of the story, at the funeral, why was the wife supposed to be angry at her ex-husband? What did she have to be angry at him about?

But the real problem with the story was that most of the dialog that should have occurred between the husband and wife was skipped. When she returned from her inexplicably absent weekend, you should have omitted all the BS about him getting drunk and yelling profanities and included a long conversation between man and wife, including the husband catching her in lies, and the wife realizing how stupid she had been and how much she had hurt him. And I could have done without all the stuff about Lucy. She seemed too convenient. But thanks for posting.

bruce22bruce22over 4 years ago
Good Story

Thanks for the happy ending...

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Strange story

So his wife cheated and left him,... happens all the time for both genders. Other than that she didn't play mindgames or abuse him. The "other" guy didn't commit any great crime. Why does that fuck up our "victim" here so much? Jimmy was basically a nutter waiting to explode at some point.

I'm really not trolling, I like BTB stories where they're justified. But this is just like everyday life, then the unbalanced husband goes off on one.

NVDiceGuyNVDiceGuyover 4 years ago
Great story

I didn’t realize I was supposed to pick it apart. Silly me. I guess I need to jump to the end and read the comments before I read the story

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Re: NVDiceGuy

Don't worry about it, happens to me all of the time. Signed: BTW

Grimjack01Grimjack01over 4 years ago
Not bad

Needs some work on plot holes, the mother and him being totally oblivious as to what's going on for way too long. Otherwise good writting.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
I can’t believe the negative comments about the husband.

These commenters are possibly cockolds, swingers or women who don’t believe in fidelity during marriage (i.e., sluts!). Also the wife’s comments about the first 10 years being good meant nothing to her when she cheated on Jimmy so why should they then mean anything to Jimmy!

MarkT63MarkT63over 4 years ago

Good story. Husband wins in the end,,,

WhoGivesAShitWhoGivesAShitover 4 years ago

Pretty good. I’m kind of surprised, though, that they had their first kids with him in his 50’s.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Nice story

And the husband ends up with a better woman...now thats revenge.

jtwheelsjtwheelsover 4 years ago
Funeral hate? Lost me

Good story mostly

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Good story...good character development.

The ending was too short and rushed. I would have liked at least several more paragraphs; perhaps an epilogue. Very good story nonetheless!

26thNC26thNCabout 4 years ago
Reading again

One of, in my opinion, one of Hook's best. He's got so many excellent stories that it's hard to choose. I like the better life revenge here. He's doing great, Traci not so well. That works out great.

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xabout 4 years ago

@Anonymous Re: Strange story "So his wife cheated and left him,... happens all the time for both genders."

"So" his wife cheated? You toss that off so casually as if it's nothing! Now, if ALL she did was leave him, I'd be on your side. It might hurt, but I have no issue with someone who no longer wants to be married for any reason, or no reason, but get divorced FIRST, don't cheat!

Huedogg2Huedogg2about 4 years ago
I can understand this

Haven't talked to my ex in 22 years, and I walked past her twice at my son wedding, it wasn't to be mean, but my wife ass filled out that white dress, that even my cousin had to say damn.

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xabout 4 years ago

Late thoughts, not sure if I've said before -

"Mom had a problem I had to take care of ..." - So you couldn't put her off a day, or call your husband? Yes, I know it's a lie, just sayin'!

Why didn't he get the bouncer to deal with the guy at the bar?

To paraphrase my response to Anonymous "Strange story," it would have hurt, but if she just went to him, said she was sorry, but her first love was back and she wanted a divorce, there'd be no real issue.

chytownchytownabout 4 years ago
Thanks***

For the read.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
lol 'at least for some of us, jimmy.'

No, it did re-balance the scales.

Traci didn't deserve happiness in her later years. She shit on people, and used them.

So she actually deserves to be lonely later in life. I don't think she understands what balance means. She still sees herself as the 'good guy' in everything. There's no such thing as "True love". Traci had the perfect chance to have that with her ex, but she ALWAYS held back. Held back for TEN years. She did that willingly. That's such a long time to be selfish, and lie to your spouse. He was under the assumption that she had grown up, moved on, and choose him. She did none of those things. She stole ten good years from him, it's true. While she enjoyed her spouse as a human dick, comfort machine, and whatever else he gave her with love. And all that while she's hoping her shitty ex to take her back. What a shitty person. She is living in the manure fields she sowed.

The funny part is she's a walking contradiction. Her last line makes it sound like she believes she deserves happiness for her shitty behavior, and her trying to hold onto two lovers at the same time also says that about her. But she could end her suffering TODAY if she tried. Her 'two marriage only' policy is a self imposed punishment. She understands that on some subconscious level that she did shitty things. Maybe she'll never admit it, but she's still beating herself up over it all. One thing that's consistent about her is living in the past. Her past used to be 'shitty ex that dumped me', but now her past has expanded into 'shitty ex that dumped me, that i threw a great guy away for'. so her being stuck in THAT past is gonna eat her up inside.

RimmerdalRimmerdalabout 4 years ago
Hmmm

Someone really hates the name Traci.

LwcbyLwcbyalmost 4 years ago
Rimmerdal

If I started writing Monica would die in every f****** story...

Zuzus_PetalsZuzus_Petalsalmost 4 years ago
Just a little more......

Enjoyed the story (5 stars) but would have liked to see just a bit more blatant remorse from the Deplorable Ms. Traci. Nice work!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago

Eat it BEATCH!

ohyessssssohyessssssover 3 years ago
Curious

What did the asshat die from, at such an early age?

enderlocke27enderlocke27over 3 years ago
oh

man i swear i wanted to like it, i guess i did a little but the MC was kind of too dumb for me to like. rejected six times then a bad first date should have been a huge clue. then not trying to find out why or about her past while dating. this is why theres a courtship before marrying to get to know who u are marrying.

ResmiHardinResmiHardinover 3 years ago
3*

When you get rejected enough times was that a clue to him? Love is blind but he must of been drugged as well lol.

Cool story but the same kind from you, same plot, same outcome and not enough revenge or even dialogue with the ex wife, still in a jokey way with her after she broke his heart and cheated on him? that just goes to show he didn't learn his lesson.

Does he love Lucy? or did he take second best? was he the same as Traci was with him? I'd think so.

26thNC26thNCabout 3 years ago

Reading again. I don't think I've read but one Hooked story that I didn't care for. This is not that story, as this is a good one.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago
Jees

You really are an expert when it comes to writing pathetic losers that can't get over an ex. This Traci chick really did a number on your manhood, didn't she?

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

This story was slightly repellent and yet lots of people think it's great? The guy is an immature glutton for punishment. He chases the girl until she agrees to a date which even he suspects was to put a stop to his persistent asking. Then, early in the relationship, he tells her, "I love you more each time we're together" and her response is to say, "I think I could fall in love with you." Well, he heard a lot more than she said and is "over the moon" with "angels singing in the distance." This is clearly a one-sided relationship doomed to failure, but the story is entitled "Scales Balance." Since he ended up going to therapy, mental as well as physical, perhaps a better title would have been "Time to Grow Up."

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

My favorite saying that my Dad told me when i hit my teen dating years was "Son,there is no pussy out there worth being disrespected over. When you look in the mirror every morning, make sure that you like what you see"! I developed my baseball dating rules from that,being that i would make three attempts to ask a woman for a date. If i wasn't successful, too bad for the woman. This approach worked very well for me during high school and college years. Like my Dad,i don't suffer fools or needless drama very well.

I met my wife Karen during my senior college year,we dated for a year,were engaged for a year,and then got married 2 months shy of our 25th birthdays. I was very straightforward with my wife,we would be one and done if she cheated on me. We just celebrated 30 years together, and i'm confident that she has never strayed.

betrayedbylovebetrayedbylovealmost 3 years ago

Nice

Excellent tale. As the expression goes, "All's well that ends well."

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

JUST ANOTHER STORY WITH A LOSER PARHETIC HUSBAND

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

Ex wife marries a “ placeholder”. She is reunited with the love of her life, and cheats and lies about it to the husband she cucks. He dumps the bitch, and life moves on. Ex beotch gets to see him with a younger wife, and a family. Her soul mate is rotting in the ground , worm food. I loved the story, but one question I have. On literotica, when a wife cheats and expects the husband to become her cuck, they all are very sure hubby taking a girlfriend, is off limits. Are today’s women, that delusional ?

kirei8kirei8over 2 years ago

Good story! At least you let him take vengeance on an asshole in place of his ex-slut. Her last words were a very good tell also.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

the bitch didnt deserve to have a good result. she hurt him and the scales required that something good happen for him. she fucked him over willingly and willfully and that means for the scales to be even that something bad happens to her and it looks like it did, 2nd husband in the wind that she betrayed the 1st husband for=good as in bad karma, needing to be rescued from brute means shes picking up nasty people (like her 2nd husband) again good as in deserved bad karma, not having a steady partner in her old age as shown by wrinkles and extra fat=good as bad karma still finder her.

SELSTIMSELSTIMover 2 years ago

As usual, nicely written though I would have liked to have known more about Bat. How did he die? Was he flattened by a semi while driving his little convertible beamer? Why did he run off and get married right after college? What happen to his first marriage? What kind of work did he do? Why did Traci's sister refer to him as a sleaze ball? Why was Traci going out with an uncouth Neanderthal if she was an attractive successful lawyer a few years after her husbands death? Other than that a Good read, Thank you

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

This is the third story I've read from this author and basically the storyline in all three has been the same. They even used the same name for the main characters. Traci, appeared in all three.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

There is not nearly enough plot development to make sense of Bat and the end of the marriage. Without that understanding, the evolution of the relationship with Lucy feels built on a foundation of unfinished business. The arc of this one pretty much sucks.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Good story, I enjoyed. LP

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Regarding not enough background on Bat. This story is about John and the only info he needs is that Bat is her ex and she is sleeping with him. No extensive needed.

usaretusaretover 2 years ago

He beat the wrong assh*le!

inka2222inka2222over 2 years ago

I wish there was more BTB to the story, but it was a very happy ending for the protagonist so great story nevertheless!

juanwildonejuanwildoneover 2 years ago

OK story…seemed like huge chucks of it got edited out, or went mia is a cute and paste. The whole Bat funeral thing. You lead with it and it disappears. Clearly he died, when, how, sho - maybe it’s just me and I skipped a couple of pages. Yeah, probably my fault.

12
Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous