Second Blossom Ch. 12

Story Info
Jake and Chelsea decide to start fresh in a new city.
2.4k words
4.66
14.6k
31

Part 12 of the 14 part series

Updated 06/08/2023
Created 04/03/2018
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Jake's stress level couldn't be higher when he finished his last class Tuesday afternoon. An email from Professor Joyce requested to see him at his earliest convenience, and Jake had been in his head trying to figure out what his professor was thinking. His first thought went to the short film Joyce had submitted on his behalf. It couldn't be anything else. But since the message didn't provide any detail, he was left feeling bipolar - allowing himself to consider a victory before bracing himself for inevitable failure. By the time he reached Joyce's office, his mind had passed through a shitstorm potential successes and self-doubts.

The professor didn't even bother to look up when he heard a knock on the door. "Come in and have a seat," he said still engrossed in a stack of papers. "I'll be with you in a moment."

Things were already off to a bad start. Jake felt his hands get sweaty while his heart pounded uncomfortably inside his chest. It would be easier to rip off the band aid and have the bad news over with in one quick motion. Waiting in silence for the floor to fall out from under him was absolute torture.

Professor Joyce finished scribbling a critique on one of the pages and returned the cap to his pen. Looking up and noticing that Jake was in his office, his disposition changed entirely.

"Jake," he said trying to mix professionalism with excitement. "You're just the person I wanted to see. I had hoped to meet with you yesterday, but today is just as good." He briskly walked to the door and shut it before returning to his chair.

"Is there news about the award?" Jake asked unable to wait for the news any longer.

Joyce let out a laugh and shook his head. "Committees generally take months to judge all of the submissions. I still believe you have a real shot at getting the award, but we probably won't hear one way or another until sometime after the summer."

Jake was more confused than ever. If it wasn't about the award, he had no idea why he was sitting there. His heart calmed slightly as the jury was still out considering his film, but there wasn't a chance it would return to normal until Jake knew what this was all about.

"The reason I asked you hear isn't about the award, but it is about your film," the professor told him with a pleasure he was dying to reveal. "A friend of mine on the judging panel has already seen it. He was so impressed that he showed it to a director who had the same reaction. It turns out, he's gathering talent for a feature film project and wants what you have to offer. He wants to put you to work right away as his assistant director."

Jake was speechless. Seeing a unicorn would've been more likely, but this was actually happening. Whatever his heart was doing, he ceased to care. All that mattered was the look of joy Professor Joyce had at delivering the news.

"Congratulations," the professor continued. "You can accept the offer or reject it. But either way, this confirms that you have real potential."

"I think I'll be accepting it," Jake said realizing he really should say something. "I'd have to be crazy to pass up something like this."

"I'm glad you agree, but I think you should know all the details before deciding anything." Jake's smile faltered slightly not quite sure what the professor meant. "As I understand it, accepting the position means beginning work probably within the next week or two. And believe me when I tell you that there won't be time to keep up with your classes. You would essentially be leaving school from that moment forward.

"Now, I've looked at your grades, and they will suffer. Since you won't be around to take finals, it's reasonable to assume each one will drop at least a letter and a half. But even so, they'll still be high enough to get you to graduation. I doubt you'll have time to take part in the ceremony, but you will still get your degree.

"And the other important part to consider is relocation," Joyce told him in all seriousness. "All of the work will be done from Los Angeles which means you'll have to be there for the entire duration of the project."

"That's a lot to process," Jake said trying hide his sudden overwhelm. "How long do I have to make a decision?"

"By Thursday at the very latest," Joyce told his student sympathetically. "But I can't stress enough what's on the table. Graduating at the top of your class looks good on paper, but it doesn't make much of a difference in the real world. Being an assistant director gets your foot in the door and shows people what you really can do. I know moving to LA would be a big change, but that's where your degree is taking you. As your professor, I would love for you to stick around and to help sharpen your skills, but this is far better than anything you'll ever learn in the classroom and I've been told the pay will be considerable."

There would be some big changes happening very quickly, and Jake realized that he would have to be ready. It was true that this opportunity was too good to pass up, but moving to Los Angeles was a decision he refused to make on his own. He listened to what his professor had to say and agreed wholeheartedly that leaving college early was the right course of action. His grades would suffer, but getting the degree even with lower grades was all that mattered. Promising to have an answer by the deadline, Jake returned to his room only to pack his weekend bag. Already deciding he wouldn't be attending classes for the rest of the week, he hopped in his car and began the long drive home.

Jake wasn't sure exactly what he was going to say but figured it couldn't hurt to soften his mother up a bit. He stopped at a flower shop a couple miles down the road and found something he knew Chelsea would love. Arriving at the house just after seven, he took a deep breath and walked in the door as if it was the most casual thing in the world.

Chelsea was sitting at the kitchen counter talking on her phone while eating a microwaved dinner when she saw her son enter. Though happy to see him, the look on her face was one of confusion, surprise, overwhelming happiness, and dreading the worst. Eating in only a pair of black pants and a bra, she felt that familiar tender joy at the sight of Jake taking in and appreciating her body.

"Jess," she said noticing the flowers but entirely unsure of what to expect. "Someone's at the door. Talk to you tomorrow? Okay, take care." She hung up as Jake crossed the room and planted a kiss on her lips. The kiss lingered as she smiled against his mouth. As her eyes opened, she took the flowers and admired the beautiful arrangement. "I love them, honey," she said breathing in deeply as the floral scent filled her nostrils.

"No shirt?" Jake asked with amusement and desire.

Chelsea shook her head still grinning from the feel of his lips. "It's too hot in here. Aren't you supposed to be gone 'til Friday?" She watched as Jake gave her a nod and took a moment to think of what to say next. "Is everything alright? Did something happen?"

"I've been offered a job," he said deciding that was probably the best place to start.

Chelsea's eyes lit up, and she threw her arms around his neck. "Jake, I'm so proud of you! What is it? When do you start?"

Jake caught her up to speed as quickly as he could. Rehashing the conversation he'd had with Professor Joyce, he explained the potential they saw in his short film and the opportunity that was offered. Laying everything out, he informed her of its location, what he would be doing, and the start date. She sat back taking it all in. Unsure of what she was thinking, Jake waited for her to say something.

"That's an incredible opportunity," she said forcing a smile on her face that faltered of its own accord. "I agree with your professor. Working in the field is much better than classroom teaching. And this will certainly lead to bigger and better things. You'll have a great time in LA. I'm glad for you and will miss you a lot."

Jake looked at her incredulously and shook his head. "I haven't taken the job yet."

"Honey, you know you want to. I want you to also. This really is too important not to accept."

"Alright then," he said as if acquiescing to her will. "I'll take it as long as you come with me."

Chelsea was caught by surprise. She hadn't expected to play any part in this and didn't know what to say. Was Jake serious? Up and leave to Los Angeles just like that? She wouldn't let him make such a big decision just to save her feelings.

"That's a lovely thought," She said at last while trying to keep her smile. "But this is about you. Don't worry about me. I want you to do this and will be proud of you from right here."

"Chelsea," he said looking her straight in the eyes. "I don't need a mother who's proud of me. I need you to be the one standing beside me. I don't know how long this project will take, and there's no way it's happening if it puts what we have in jeopardy. So we can do this together or not at all, and I expect most things we'll do in the future will have the same terms."

"You're serious about this," she said realizing what Jake was saying. He kissed her deep and long before giving his mother a nod. "Where would we live?"

"I'll have to find a place anyway," Jake reminded her. "We'll make sure it's big enough for two."

"What about my job?"

"You hate your job," he laughed. "Quit and find a new one. I'll be making enough to support us, so you can take your time finding something you love. It'll be a fresh start for both of us."

"Are you sure?" She asked hoping he wasn't about to rescind the offer.

"In LA, we'll be two more faces. When people get to know us, they'll see a couple and nothing else. But more importantly, I do want to be the one putting a ring on your finger someday, and I can't do that if you're not around. So please, for my sake, don't go anywhere and give us this shot."

Chelsea felt tears forming in her eyes and warm drops of water rolling down her cheeks. Though it was only moving plans, it could've been a marriage proposal for how special it made her feel. She was loved, wanted, and needed - there wasn't any doubt left in her mind. She kissed him with salty lips and joyfully agreed to begin something new.

That night, they made love like there was no tomorrow. The decision had been made to make a fresh start together, and they were already becoming something new. Wherever they went from here would be as a couple. Savoring the feeling for all it was worth, the world ceased to exist as their bodies moved together.

The next few days were a blur. Jake sent a message to Professor Joyce making his decision official and was immediately sent the contact information for Patrick Mirez, the director he would be working with. Patrick's assistant put him in touch with a producer, and her assistant sent over the contract that was signed and quickly returned.

Chelsea was wrapping up matters of her own. Since her job really had become the bane of her existence, giving one week's notice instead of two seemed more than fair. She packed up her office and continued working at her own pace all the while browsing LA rental listings whenever the office door was shut. She printed the details for apartments, condos, and houses that all looked promising. She and Jake looked at them together over dinner.

The house was the biggest challenge that needed to be addressed. Calling Peter one afternoon, Chelsea informed him of her plan to leave in a hurry. It was better for her to make a fresh start, she said optimistically, and the house wasn't part of that. Peter didn't feel the need to ask any questions. Just as happy to wrap things up as she was, he agreed to sell the house and put her half in the divorce settlement. They hung up wishing each other the best without any bad feelings.

Jake had decided that his father didn't need to know about the new job. He met with Peter for dinner on the way back from emptying out his dorm room. Glad to be away from campus, it had been rough saying goodbye to his friends and knowing he wouldn't return. Miles gifted him the revised screenplay and made Jake promise to pass it along to anyone he could.

By the time Jake arrived at the restaurant, he was running a few minutes late and was relieved when his father was running even later. Peter eventually showed, and they talked pleasantly over the meal. As Jake heard about his mother's decision to move, he decided to keep his own departure to himself. It would be easier this way. Without risking his father making any connections, he talked about school and his short film being reviewed for an award. As far as his father was concerned, Jake would be heading back to college that night and getting ready for classes in the morning. That's how it had to be.

It was a stressful time up and leaving in such a hurry, but it was also thrilling. Jake and Chelsea always found something to do. And when they had free time, they packed. Knowing it was a new beginning for them made the process bearable and even enjoyable. The movers had packed up the house two days before their departure. Leaving only a pile of blankets that it was decided weren't worth bringing to the new apartment, they laid them on the floor in an empty room and made love surrounded by emptiness. Wanting for nothing, everything that mattered was already in their arms.