Second Chances Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Rory blushed a deep red at the comment and rolled her eyes. She stood in the doorway for a moment, her face clenched in concentration as she struggled with a decision in her mind. “Why don’t you stay here with me?”

Daniel looked up from the case file and stared in shock. Had he heard her right? “Stay here with you?”

“Why not? I have more than enough room. You can take the extra bedroom until you find an apartment of your own. Look, Daniel, you want me to trust you. It takes a lot to gain my trust. Besides, if I have a partner who is having to travel all over the city, how can I know that you’ll be there when I need you?”

“It wouldn’t be right. I… I mean.” He stopped, lost for words. This woman who had been so cold towards him, his ice queen, was opening her home to him with almost open arms. He had to do something to make it up to her. “I want to pay part of the rent for the month.”

Rory shrugged and walked into her room, leaving the door open a crack as he could hear a dresser being opened and then closed again.

“Well?” Daniel shouted.

“Like I’m going to argue with that?” Rory asked, making Daniel laugh as he looked around the apartment once more. Roommates with a very pretty lady, a nice neighborhood and house, a cat that acted like a guard dog. It’s perfect. He thought as he watched Jack saunter into the living room, his tail twitching slowly back and forth as if to show that he was satisfied with his full stomach.

Looking over the cases again, Daniel quietly studied the lab reports as Rory moved around in her room. Soon, the house was quiet, the cat curled up and purring in his lap as Daniel finally gave up. Whoever was doing these murders was good. Hiding his motive, or at least leading them in the wrong direction. He just hoped that the guy slipped up before more women were harmed. Or maybe it was that Daniel didn’t have the trained eye of a criminal profiler, something that he would have to leave to Rory.

“Hey, Rory.” He shouted, stopping for a moment as he thought it strange that he was calling her by name. “I was thinking of moving my stuff over tonight, if that’s alright. I mean, save me some trouble and a day‘s rent on my hotel.”

The was no reply from the room, just the sound of Jack purring as he dozed. Daniel picked the cat up, dropping him onto the floor as he walked to Rory’s room, silently pushing open the door.

“Rory?” He asked, spotting her curled up on her bed, sound asleep.

He smiled to himself, looking at her sleeping form on the bed. Her hair was fanned out on her pillow, the dark blue of the comforter making it that much brighter. She was half-undressed, wearing her black slacks and a white bra, her red shirt laying on the floor just beside her dresser.

Her badge and gun were laying on top of it, just beside more pictures of what looked like family. She clutched another shirt close to her chest, obviously intending of just laying down for a quick catnap before getting back to work.

Daniel silently made his way across the room, picking up an old blanket that was laying across a chair as he noticed her shiver. He threw the blanket over her and took off her shoes, basically tucking her in. He didn’t have to heart to disturb her. She had been working such long hours that he always felt guilty leaving her at the station by herself. In a move that startled Daniel, he leaned in and brushed her hair away from her temple, giving her a soft kiss on the forehead.

“Sleep tight.” He whispered as he started out of the room.

As he turned off the light, he noticed the blanket had slipped off her left shoulder. Walking closer to pull it back up, he noticed the scar the was raised and red on the joint. No bigger than a quarter, it seemed out of place on her smooth skin.

He leaned in closer, taking in it’s shape and location. Reaching out a hand, he lightly traced his fingers over the site, pulling it back quickly as she mumbled something in her sleep and curled up tighter into a ball. Gently pulling the blanket back, he saw her hand curled tightly, even in sleep.

She was shot. He thought, quickly throwing the blanket back over her and walked into the living room, looking at the bookcase again.

He picked up the bullet next to the picture, holding it up to the light as her words floated back to him. “I’ve had a bad time with partners in the past.” He whispered, rolling the slug between his fingers before he placed it back by the picture. Was the man in the uniform her partner? If so, what had happened to him, Daniel wondered.

Daniel had to know what happened in Rory’s past and he knew of one person who could give him all the answers he needed. Zipping up his coat after pulling it from under Jack, who had claimed it as his own, and gently shut the front door he made his way down the flights of stairs. He stepped out into the cold, winter air, cursing the northern climate as he started his trek back over the few blocks to the station. He was going to have a talk with Justin McCartney and find out exactly what Rory had meant when she said she couldn’t trust a partner.

*******

Xan Tyler stood in her kitchen, lighting candles at the table as she waited anxiously for her date to arrive. The mother of two children, she found herself in a rare moment of piece a quiet, having pushed them off to her mother’s so she could have time alone with her new love. She had only known Alex for two weeks, but she felt a connection instantly. He was everything that her ex-husband wasn’t: attentive, loving, and he made her feel like she was the center of his world.

Xan flicked the match back and forth quickly, extinguishing the flame as she turned to check on the dinner that she had been preparing all day. After she was satisfied that everything was in order, she made her way to her bedroom, checking her appearance once more in the floor length mirror.

The short red dress accentuated everything about her body. It wasn’t bad for the mother of two who was almost 36. She had long black hair that was smooth as silk and bright hazel eyes which perfectly complimented her olive skin. An hourglass figure, topped with a modest chest that smoothed out into a flat stomach and hips that stuck out just a bit. A rounded bottom that most men loved to leer at as she walked by, especially if she wore a skirt that showed off her long, smooth legs.

She jumped as the doorbell rang, and then smiled as she smoothed out the dress, quickly making her way to the front door. Pulling open the door, she was greeted by a bouquet of yellow roses, her favorite flowers.

“Alex, they’re beautiful.” She murmured, taking the flowers from him as she gave him a quick kiss on the cheek “Thank you.”

“Anything for you, Bella.” He stated, wrapping his arm around her waist as the two walked inside. “You set a beautiful table.” He said, admiring all of the work that she had put into this evening with the perfect table setting and the red dress that he loved so much.

“Anything for you.” Xan teased as she walked into the kitchen, pulling out her favorite vase and arranging the flowers as Alex tossed his coat on the couch and followed her, wrapping his arms around her waist and pulling her into a hug.

“I’ve missed you.” He whispered into her ear, his lips gently running over the skin as she shivered and pressed back against him a bit, a smile on her face as she looked over her shoulder into his dark blue eyes. His accent made her melt inside, something that she could listen to forever.

“I’ve missed you, too.” She said back, turning in his arms to look at his loving face.

His black hair was slicked back with gel, his tan face crinkled into a grin as he leaned in and kissed her softly on the neck, the one place he knew that would drive Xan crazy. He was so close that she could smell the soap that he used, the scent of pine strong in her nose as he slowly kissed up her neck, nibbling slightly on her ear as she giggled.

“I’ve made dinner.” Xan whispered, her body trembling slightly as he kissed across her cheek, giving her a soft peck on the tip of her nose as he pulled back and raise his eyebrows.

“I’m only hungry for one thing, Bella.” He whispered, moving his hips slightly so she could feel the bulge in his pants.

“And what would that be?” She asked, wiggling her hips back and forth to drive him wild.

“You.” He said, picking her up in one fluid motion and carrying her to the bedroom.

Xan squealed in delight as he carried her through the kitchen and back to her bedroom, tossing her on the bed playfully, the short skirt on the dress riding up her thighs as she backed away from his advancing form, challenging him to a game of chase. Alex won the game easily, pinning her firmly to the mattress as she grinned and stuck her tongue out as she lost.

“Now, that’s not very becoming, Bella.” He said with a laugh as he leaned in and kissed her gently.

“Oh, so you think I’m ugly?” She teased again, laughing and squirming as he tickled her sides.

After she was begging him to stop, her face bright red from laughing, Alex lay down on top of her as he ran his hands gently through her hair. “You’re always beautiful in my eyes, Bella.” He whispered, kissing her gently as she sighed in contentment.

Alex’s hands ran through her hair and down her cheeks, holding her head slightly as he placed a kiss on her forehead, nose, and both eyes, making her beam with happiness as his hands continued their quest. He gently hooked his fingers through the thin straps of her dress, pulling them down over her arms. Xan sighed and moved her arms, slipping out of the straps so he could continue undressing her.

“So beautiful.” He murmured as he pulled the dress down, exposing her perfect breasts to the cool air of the room, nuzzling his nose against a nipple as he watched it crinkle up from the cold and his attentions.

Xan moaned softly as he gently took one nipple into his mouth, running his tongue rapidly over the nub as he caught it between his teeth. After giving the other breast the same attention, she could have sworn she was in heaven as she felt the short hem of her skirt slowly start to slid up her legs, his hand softly traveling up her thigh.

“You are full of surprises, aren’t you?” He asked with a smile, looking into her eyes as he discovered she wore no panties.

“I didn’t think I would be needing them this evening.” She murmured with a blush as his fingers brushed lightly over her lips, causing her to take in a sharp breath at the sudden touch.

Alex just laughed and kissed her neck again, his fingers stroking her clit softly as she mewled with pleasure, her hips raising off the bed, practically begging him to enter her. After ensuring that she was wet, he slowly played with her folds, entering one finger deep inside and slowly starting to pump it in and out.

She didn’t know how much more she could take. It had been so long since a man had taken the time to drive her wild that she feared the sensation would be over before she had fully begun to enjoy it.

“I need you in me.” Xan whispered, a groan escaping her lips as a second finger entered deep inside her.

“Not yet, Bella. Just enjoy it.” He whispered into her ear, stroking a hand over her hair again, his bright eyes smiling down on her as she moved her hips in time with his motions, driving herself into an intense orgasm.

She shuddered in the aftermath, her breathing erratic as she felt his hand gently pull away and slide down her thigh. Xan closed her eyes, enjoying the moment for all that it was. The man that she loved had just given her pleasure that she could never have imagined. She felt him reach between them, his hand entering his pocket and she smiled, knowing what would be next. She would give him the same feeling that she had just received, it was only right in her mind.

A gentle kiss on her forehead and a soft caress over her hair brought Xan back to the present. “Goodbye, Bella.” She heard Alex whisper and before she could open her eyes, a sharp pain started on her forehead, just below her hairline.

Her eyes snapped open in shock as she opened her mouth to cry out in pain. Alex quickly covered it with his hand, the line of pain slowly traveling along her hairline as she struggled beneath him, trying to get away. He held her firmly with his body, his blue eyes sharp as a hand moved over her forehead, obviously the cause of the pain she was feeling. She felt something warm slowly trickling over her temple and she suddenly got very woozy, as if she had just had too much to drink. Slowly, her sight started to darken as the pain became even more intense, as if her hair were on fire. Xan fell into the darkness as she stared up into the eyes of her lover, her last thought wonderings why he would do something like this.

*******

Author's note: No, Xan's name is not a typo. Bare with me and all will be revealed. I promise. :)

*******

Chapter 3 coming soon: Daniel finds out about Rory's past as she begins to understand the way the mysterious man's mind works.

12