Secret Valentine

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Saturday, after the shopping trip, Melanie was surprised by a telephone call.

"Melanie, it's Dan Hoyer. I know it's short notice, but you volunteered, so I'm asking. Can you take Jordan tonight? I have, believe or not, scored a date. It's a nurse at the rehab hospital where I work."

"Sure, bring Jordan over. On one condition, you come back Sunday night to have dinner with us. You need to meet my man Jacob and we can take the girls to the park during the day. They will have a blast. Got it?"

"OK, sounds good. I'll drop her off at 5:00."

"What's her name?"

"It's Karla, with a K."

"Interesting. See you at 5. Bye."

Whirling Motion.

Two preschoolers can wind each other up to incredible velocity. Mostly they stayed in Amy's room, but the noise was easily heard throughout the apartment. On the other hand, their mainsprings did eventually wind down.

By 7:30, they were drooping, ready for their pajamas. Jacob had one girl on each arm, as he read a command performance to them from Dr. Suess: The Cat in the Hat. Amy did a little showing off, displaying her mastery of the word "cat," impressing her friend Jordan.

And then the girls were in bed, with a nightlight burning and the door ajar.

"This reminds me why I never thought about getting pregnant again. I couldn't have successfully raised Amy AND another child. As you know, I wasn't really doing well enough with just her, with the low income and all the problems we had."

"I hope you have gotten past all those worries."

"Oh, Jacob, I am so grateful. But, after years on the edge of poverty, it's hard for me to overnight change to a 'it's only money' mentality. There are times I still struggle.

"When I saw how much unwearable junk was in our closets, I went into the bathroom and cried, Jacob. I truly believe I would have lost Amy. Not immediately, but when I couldn't meet her needs, the state would take her. I was skipping meals just so I could feed her properly.

"I can't forget that. I was failing her. She's a great kid, and I was a terrible mother."

Melanie was weeping again. Not only were the tears running down her face, but they were in her nose, too. She was sniffling and snorting.

"Oh, honey, don't cry. You're supported now, you know that. I'm not going to leave you. I love you. Amy loves you. You have a new Buick!"

That forced a chuckle from her.

"Next week, you'll have a new job, with good pay and benefits. And, two or three years from now, Amy won't remember any of the before-Jacob tough times. That's the beauty of being four years old. What she won't ever forget is that her Mama loves her. And I love her.

"The pain you're feeling will fade, because it will be in the past. You and me, together, will be strong for each other and for Amy. Every year that goes by, a fading memory for Amy.

"Do you believe me?"

"I do. You incredible, wonderful man. I think I need to ravish you, because that's the best way I can show you right now what you mean to me. Would you like some big tits to play with?"

"Oh boy oh boy oh boy!"

Dan Hoyer.

Sunday afternoon Dan arrived at Melanie's apartment. He went back into the master bedroom with Jacob for a full discussion.

"Jacob, you present a lot of challenges for physical therapy, but I can tell you it is absolutely necessary. Honestly, your ortho has already fallen down on the job by not arranging PT already. Rolling around in that contraption all the time is going to drastically slow your healing and make you weaker.

"And there's another problem. This room is too small and crowded for you. You need room for a specific machine, a reclining horizontal leg press."

"Oh, I'm glad you mentioned that. My apartment is in this complex, about 12 doors from here. It's much larger, and the three of us are going to move over there next week. How much does this machine cost?"

"They range from $1,500 to $5,000."

"I'll give you a check tonight for $5,000. Please order me a good one and we'll have it delivered, say, a week from tomorrow, to the other apartment. Now, next question, what are your fees for private clients?"

"Melanie warned me, she said you wouldn't accept a discount."

"That's for damn sure. I have a shitload of money in the bank from investments. So, be honest, tell me your real rate."

"To tell the truth, it's a sliding scale, based on the client. For you, $200 per hour-long session. I can do three sessions of PT a week, will that work?"

"Are you sure? Only $200?"

"Tell you what. If I catch you slacking off, my fee will go up."

"Fair enough, we have a deal."

Melanie walked into the bedroom. "You guys all square?"

Dan answered, "We are. And thank you, Melanie, for introducing me to Jacob. I'm going to buy a big heavy machine for him, and it will be delivered a week from tomorrow to the other apartment."

"Great. Now, please wash up for supper. We're having steak and potatoes au gratin. And peas and carrots which should be OK vegetables for the girls."

At the Table.

"So, Dan, how did things go with Karla? Inquiring minds need to know."

"Melanie, I'm not entirely sure how to summarize the events when my other cohort is in range."

"You dog, you!" said Melanie.

"He's not a dog, he's my Uncle Dan!" exclaimed Jordan.

"You're right, Jordan, sorry." To Melanie, "My context is established, I think."

"Agreed. We can defer."

"This steak is delicious! What's the secret?"

In perfect sync, Jacob and Melanie said, "Montreal Steak Seasoning."

Followed by laughter.

Post dessert, the girls retreated to Amy's room.

"OK, Dan, spill."

"Well, I took Karla to a nice Italian restaurant. I figured I needed to get my cards on the table right away, so I told her all about Jordan. Miraculously, she didn't run away screaming at that point. She asked a lot of questions. I probably oversold Jordan some, since she is the greatest four year old girl in human history."

"Along with Amy," added Melanie.

"Of course. Again, she seemed to still be interested, which I did NOT expect. After dinner, she said, 'I want to see where this miracle child lives. It must be complicated for an uncle to raise a little girl, and there has to be a story you're not telling me about her parents.'"

"Gulp."

"Yes, indeed, Melanie."

"I asked her to wait for that story, since it was too tragic and sad for a first date. She surprised me more, agreeing, and we returned to my little house. Karla looked into Jordan's room, seeing her toys and her books and her clothes. We don't have a lot of money, but I think she saw I was trying to make the best home for her I could.

"Then we sat down on my old saggy sofa, and she turned to me, and looked me in the eye. I can't quote her exactly, I was getting too emotional. This is approximately what she said.

"I don't go out very often. Most men I meet are very disappointing. I need to meet Jordan, to see if my impressions of you and her are true. But tonight I'm trusting my instincts. For whatever reason, and I am sure it is a good reason, you have taken on the duty of raising your niece.

"How many young single men do this, would do this? But you did. And it looks like you take the job seriously.

"Dan, this is my first date in months. I was sure it would be a bust, but you're attractive, and pleasant to other people, so I took a chance. And then I find out, you're a volunteer single dad. By the time dinner was over, I believed the whole story.

"Seeing Jordan's room just proved it all for me. Oh, hell."

"Karla just grabbed my face then and kissed me. Hard. Thoroughly. Um, my first date in months too. She dragged me into my bed and just, well, ravished me. Three times. We fell asleep in each other's arms.

"Thanks to you, Melanie and Jacob, I could relax and enjoy myself, since you were hosting Jordan.

"In the morning, we woke up together, enjoyed some more sex, and she left me around noon. I think we're just about boyfriend/girlfriend after this one incredible night."

"Thanks to you."

Jacob spoke next. "Dan, well done. Listen, we already have a plan where you and Jordan come over for play dates and dinner. I guess OUR play date will be on the fancy leg machine.

"Anyway, as soon as you can, bring her here with you. She will want to meet the world's other most incredible daughter, and her spectacular and adorable formerly single mother.

"From everything you have said, Melanie and Karla will get along like a house on fire."

Chapter 26: Two Months Later.

Except for the ankles, Melanie and Jacob were well-started on their new life together. With Jacob's recommendation, Melanie landed a good job at an investment firm, and seeing an opening, moved sideways into a Human Resources position. HR interested her even though nobody else seemed to want the job. It turned out she was talented and soon proved her worth to the corporation by unraveling a nasty case of harassment and protecting the victim, while the offender was sent off to be prosecuted.

In their new apartment, Amy's room was pure princess, to the point where she laughed and said, "ENOUGH!" Two large bookshelves were bolted to the side walls, ready for her library to come.

Karla and Dan became regular guests, even after Jacob's casts finally got cut off his ankles and the PT sessions wound down. As predicted, Karla and Melanie declared themselves sisters, and hung out frequently.

Amy and Jordan had become closely attached as well. When they asked Jordan if she minded having Karla and Dan and Jordan move in, they got the eye-roll.

"She's here all the time ALREADY!"

April 18, 2023, Income Tax Day.

Melanie's records were spread across the kitchen table. "What a headache. Jacob!"

"Yes?"

"Weren't you going to marry me, so I didn't have to file and calculate all this shit myself?"

"Sure, but these taxes are for 2022 and we didn't know each then. When do you want to marry me?"

"Um, May, May 20th, it's a Saturday. OK with you?"

"Sure. Maybe we should get rings?"

"Yeah, probably. I'll put them on the debit card. Not too fancy, I don't want some robber cutting off my finger to get a big diamond. I'll need a dress, too. And a little one for Amy."

"You think Amy will want to come?"

"Jacob, some days I feel I should smack you. Of course she wants to come, she loves you. Don't be stupid, just say, 'yes, dear.'"

"Yes, dear."

"I'm thinking Dan for your best man, and Karla for my maid of honor. Screw that language, my best woman. Jordan and Amy can be flower girl and ring bearer. Since we aren't churchgoers, I'll find a secular officiant. I can't think of other guests, so we don't need to rent a hall. Are we agreed?"

"I think so."

"Wrong answer, Jacob. What did you say, just a minute ago?"

"Yes, dear."

"Jordan and Amy should have coordinated dresses, I'll speak to Karla and Dan about that, and that they need to reserve May 20th. I'm sure they will agree. OK?"

"Yes, dear."

"I'm distracting myself. I need to finish my tax returns and get them postmarked today. Will you help me?"

"Are icebergs dangerous to ships? Certainly I will help you. And remember, next year we file jointly so my CPA will deal with all this nuisance."

Chapter 27: Worse Than the Income Tax.

It was 3:00 on Wednesday, April 26, a day when Amy and Jacob were home together, Melanie being off at her job. Amy roused herself after her nap and went looking for Jacob. One by one, she went through the apartment, calling his name. Last was the master bedroom, and the attached "en suite" bathroom.

Agitated, nervous, she went to the (closed) bathroom door and knocked.

"Jacob? Jacob, please, I'm scared!"

After no response, she tried the door, which opened but the door swung only a foot or so before getting blocked. There was just enough room to get her head through the opening.

That's when she saw him, motionless, sprawled across the floor. She could see most of his body, but not his head which was right up near the door.

"Jacob? Jacob, wake up!"

With no response, Amy pulled her head back and sat on the floor, with her back against the jamb. That's when she saw the blood, oozing under the door and out into the bedroom.

Shrieking, Amy backed away, horrified. It was a few minutes before she could calm down enough to think.

"What should I do?" Call 911, the idea came to her. But the only phone in the house was in Jacob's pocket, inaccessible.

"I have to go downstairs for help," she thought. Which is what she did, being a smart and brave little girl.

Lane Dirksen was the complex superintendent on duty that day. He was in his fifties, balding, and annoyed. The reason didn't matter. Then he was startled by light knocking on his door. Glancing up to his security monitor, he saw a little girl, about four feet (123 cm) tall, at his office door.

He rushed to open the door, then crouched down to be face-to-face with her. Seeing her tear-stained face, he asked, softly, "What's wrong?"

"My Jacob is hurt, he's not moving, and there's, oh, oh, blood."

That was it, she was wailing again.

"Please, little girl, don't be sad. What's Jacob's last name?"

"Um, he's a Cat. But no tail."

"Jacob Cat? Oh, I get it. He's in his apartment?"

"Yes, please, help him!"

"Go sit in my big chair while I get on the phone."

The fire department arrived first and assessed the situation. The captain immediately called for the chainsaw from their truck. "We need access, and fast, there's a lot of blood. Gary, go down to the rig and using that radio, tell dispatch we need an ambulance pronto. Sheila, bring up the chainsaw, and Gary, bring the axe."

With haste, the firefighters cut through the bathroom door, from the top all the way to the bottom, then removed the free three-quarters of the door (with the knob) leaving a short flap remaining on the hinges.

Examining Jacob, they could see a scalp laceration on the right side (this time) of his head. They were able to put down some towels to protect the linens and then move him to the bed.

They had no way of knowing that Jacob was still anemic after his car accident, but he was definitely pale (despite his Mediterranean coloring) and his condition was quite serious. To their credit, the EMTs gave him just a minute's once-over, and swiftly transferred him to a gurney and the back of their ambulance.

They left his pants unfastened and hauled ass to the nearest medical center, lights and sirens all activated.

In the ED (Emergency Department), the doctor was making rapid decisions. He ordered an immediate transfusion of a unit of "O-negative" blood, while they waited for his blood type to be confirmed.

Three Hours Later.

In Jacob's room, Amy and Melanie were waiting for Jacob to wake up. With three units of blood transfused, he was now medically stable. Although a concussion was on the list of possible complications.

"Wha?" he said.

"Jacob, you're in the hospital, again."

"Why?"

"Put your hand on your head and feel around. Yeah, you bonked your head, in the bathroom. The firefighters had to demolish the bathroom door to extract you. Then they watched over Amy for a couple of hours until I could come fetch her from their firehouse.

"Is Jacob going to come home with us?"

"Yes, for sure, after the doctors finish making sure he will be OK."

"But what happened, Melanie?"

"They said they found you with your pants unfastened. Best guess, you stood up from the toilet, pulled your pants up, got woozy, and then fell onto the tile floor, before you could fasten them."

"That makes sense. I know I have some strange feelings when I stand up too quickly."

"Well, shit, Jacob. You have to stop hammering your head against cars and ceramic tiles. I prefer your head without dents, please. I'm going to tell them you're awake now, and you will get all sorts of tests in the morning before they let you go home.

"Now Amy and I will give you good night kiss, and I will come get you tomorrow as soon as they release you."

Discharged, Back Home.

Melanie looked at the wreckage of their bathroom door.

"New rule, Jacob. You pee with the door OPEN, every damn time. We do, too. You almost died, for modesty? Not anymore. She saved your life, my incredible fantastic daughter. And, news flash, she knows you urinate, just like every other human.

"If she's that close and it bothers you, sit your ass down like we do to pee. Have I made myself clear?"

"Yes, dear."

"Good answer. You're gonna get this door fixed?"

"Oh, yeah. Also, I have a bunch of appointments coming up, one more transfusion, the orthopedic surgeon, the hematologist, the neurologist. I think we need another Buick."

"I don't know, maybe this time something from Asia. Or would you really rather have another Buick?"

"Nah, I think we should get a Honda. Your Civic was just about indestructible, considering its age. You said it always started."

"That's true. OK, go find a Buick-sized Honda SUV for us. The neurologist has cleared you to drive?"

Chapter 28: The Big Day.

Melanie had reserved a small picnic ground, "Madrone," at the regional park for their wedding ceremony. There were two large picnic tables, a stone-and-metal hearth for grilling, and a grassy area for the girls to run around in.

In formal dress, two caterers stood at the tables, with tablecloths and linens, place settings, covered dishes, and a modest but pretty wedding cake, with figurines of a bride, A groom, and a little daughter standing in the buttercream frosting. The cake was covered by a crystal dome to stay perfect until the right moment.

Jacob gave the officiant, Natalie, a copy of their marriage license. She was a court commissioner and had all the legal power to perform marriages in their county.

It was 124 days since the M. L. King Holiday, when Melanie found the first of Jacob's "Thinking of You" cards. And 110 days since Jacob's car crashed into the ravine, breaking his ankles.

On the dot at 3:00, Saturday, May 20, 2023, in matching powder blue dresses, Jordan walked forward, strewing flower petals and giggling, followed by Amy, blissfully happy, and toting a white pillow with two golden rings.

Then Karla and Melanie walked up to face Natalie, Dan, and Jacob.

Jacob looks wonderful. I'm sure he spent big bucks on their suits. Karla and I have matching dresses, mine white and hers a beautiful navy blue. So much satin! The best part? Jacob would marry me if I was wearing a potato sack. I can feel the emotion coming off him.

By pre-arrangement, the commissioner's remarks were concise and to the point. Melanie didn't want Jacob standing any longer than necessary in the warm May sun.

"Melanie Geary and Jacob Katz, I now pronounce you both parents of Amy, partners for life, and Jacob, you may kiss the bride.

- The End. -

1...456789