All Comments on 'Sex Education'

by thomas_dean

Sort by:
  • 5 Comments
AnonymousAnonymous8 months ago

British don't use the word 'gell' specific areas of England do. Most of us say word correctly.

hindsight2020hindsight20208 months ago

WOW!

What a hot incomprehensible mess this was!

The author seems to have lost control of the story in the second paragraph.

(OK the first paragraph was also awful)

Going out on a limb here. Given the misuse of language and the truly insufferability of the prose, I am guessing the author is actually a Vogon.

Dr_James_Davies_DFDr_James_Davies_DF8 months ago

The Virtue of Competition:

The American accepts as an article of faith that the edge of competition produces sharper, stronger people. Lets see how this applies to two roommates. Two female roommates in a loose relationship compete for the favor of a male friend who may enjoy impersonal contact with women in the altogether but is a bit shy about a personal physical interaction. Who will win, the more experienced Erica or Rebecca who regards herself as a virgin because she has not been touched by a man?

The character of Al Mandy, the Imitation Saxon, called Oxford English here, is a personality type one does find in intellectual circles here in the US.

thomas_deanthomas_dean8 months agoAuthor

Dear Anon:

Thank you for your comment. In american English generally the R sound in such words as "girl" "curl" "whirl" "swirl" "Twirl" is generally sounded, less pronounced in the staccato-ish North East accent and the smoother drawl of the Southland. In Insular English, the Home Island, the R sound is unvoiced. Thus to american ears when the english say girl, the american hears g- i - l - l. Did not Winston Churchill say America and Britain were divided by a common language?

Dr Al Mandy is neither British nor American. His British accent is fake. he strives to pronounce centre different from center and programme different from program as well as burnt different from burned. At least Erica sees through this, referring to Al as "Oxford English."

thomas_deanthomas_dean8 months agoAuthor

Dear Hind:

On the Sci-Fi field I was much impressed with Gene Rodenberry who tried to focus on human relations in a future world rather than on special effects. All life is in competition to leave as Dr Rebecca Barton puts it "a genetic imprint." Thus sisters (an occasionally a mother or step mother) steal each other's boyfriends.

I hope this answers your questions.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous