Shadow Dagger Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"You can't draw power when your body is too weak!"

"What is wrong with him?"

"Grab his legs!"

Power. He felt his lips twitch up in a smile.

***

No, Daminus realized, Jon Laurent didn't disappear, no matter what his eyes said. He knew little about the Magi Victus but what he did know was that they are fast. So Daminus did the only thing he could think of; he cast a quick 1st Tier Push Spell at Ashford.

Ashford grunted and he lost control of his Evisceration Spell as a surge of magical energy pushed him across the room. He rolled several times and hit the wall. He popped back up to his feet.

Jon Laurent was standing where Ashford had been just a split second ago. Jon's dagger was thrust out in front of him, right where Ashford's heart would have been if it weren't for Daminus.

Jon looked over at Daminus and smiled. "Well played," he said. "I forgot how fun it was to fight two Magi at the same time."

Fun? That man is crazy! Daminus was surprised he had reacted so fast; his body was almost stiff with fear. But it was always this way when he was in battle. It sometimes felt like his mind left his body behind.

Jon disappeared without warning. Damn it he is too fast! "Ashford, you know what to do!"

Daminus pushed his fear aside and began the intricate finger movements needed for this 9th Tier spell. He glimpsed movement out of the corner of his eye but kept the spell locked firmly in his concentration.

Several concussive blasts rang throughout the room. Ashford was throwing out his hands in fast motion. Fist-sized fireballs were hitting the ground in every conceivable direction. Daminus was aware enough to know that those fireballs were just 2nd Tier. Ashford didn't need long incantations or finger movements to cast those. He was just trying to buy some time. Those fireballs were still deadly, though.

Daminus would catch quick glimpses here and there as Jon continued to easily dodge the fireballs. Ashford had to fire rapidly in all directions because he could not see where Jon was.

Smoke quickly filled the kitchen as stone walls and floor continued to be chipped away. Daminus ignored his watering eyes as he focused on the last word in his mind and formed the last rune with his fingers.

There! Magical runes covered his body and disappeared. He felt them soak into his being. His body chemistry changed rapidly. He had used this spell so many times during the war that he no longer needed any time to adjust.

"Daminus!" Ashford bellowed through the smoke. Daminus focused his vision and saw a brief flash only a few feet away from Ashford. Jon had not only dodged the fireballs but also made his way toward Ashford.

Daminus reacted on instinct. He disappeared.

***

Jon closed the last few feet toward Ashford, dodged one last pathetic fireball, and reached out with his dagger. His keen senses alerted him at the last second. He felt more than saw Daminus disappear behind him. He contorted his body in mid-air and ducked into a headlong roll past the shocked-looking Ashford.

Daminus was standing right where Jon would have been if he had continued his movement. Daminus' hand was outstretched; it held a dagger. It was an ordinary dagger but lethal just the same.

Jon rolled to his feet and faced the two Magi wearily. He nodded in respect at Daminus. "Daminus Ventus...I should have recognized that name. You led the Magi against the Raves in the War of the Desert. The Raves' elite soldiers are master swordsmen. You were legendary for the body enhancements spell you created to combat them."

"I learned that trick from the Magi Victus, actually." He opened his mouth to say more but thought better of it. It would have probably been some insult against the Magi Victus.

Jon couldn't help but laugh. "Very clever, my friend. It's not the same as what we do, but it's still very clever. You have earned my respect. And because you have earned it, I will give you one last chance to walk away." The laughter died from his face; only grim death showed now. "I hope you take my advice."

Daminus looked over at his friend. "What do you think Ash? I am kind of tired."

Ashford showed his teeth in a humorless smile. "Please don't let me keep you from anything important."

Daminus' smile was just as grim. "I have nothing more important than to be here with my friend."

Ashford's eyes tightened in worry. "Daminus...what about Evelyn?"

Daminus closed his eyes. When he opened them again his eyes shone. Daminus turned his gaze toward Jon Laurent. "Evelyn of all people would want me to stay. She knows who I am. She understands this and knows the risks we take together every day of our lives. Some things in this life are worth the ultimate price."

Jon saw into those eyes and felt a pang in his own heart. It felt like an echo from the past. "Leave," he pleaded. The two Magi almost rocked back in shock at his tone of voice. "What you have is worth protecting, no matter what. This fight is not worth it. Trust me."

For one brief hopeful moment, Jon saw Daminus hesitate. But then his composure firmed and he squared his shoulders. "One way or another, Jon Laurent, I am going to teach you about brotherhood."

"So be it," he replied. His tone was flat and even. He was the ruthless killer again.

Jon saw Daminus' eyes flick behind Jon's shoulder and widen in shock. It was all the warning he needed. He spun around faster than the eye could see and stabbed his dagger out.

"NOOOOOOOO!!!"

***

Evelyn continued to study Ashford's house as she desperately tried to plan a rescue mission.

"My lady," Sophina said, "I see no possible plan that could work against Jon Laurent. Our best bet is to just barge in there and start hacking."

"There has to be a better way," she replied. "I can still feel Daminus along the soul-bond. His fear has faded. I have another moment to think."

Sophina grabbed her arm gently and looked her in the eyes. "My lady...the longer we wait the worse our chance is to save your husband. We need to go in there now. Maybe we might get lucky and catch him off guard."

Evelyn threw up her hands in frustration. "Damn it to the nine hells! You are right. I can't think of anything."

At that moment Ashford's windows began lighting up. Great booms of explosions carried across the street. The ground beneath their feet shook. Anybody within a 6 block radius would know that a Magi is fighting for their life.

"My lady!" Sophina screamed over the booms of explosion.

Evelyn didn't need to be told twice. She raced toward the house. Sophina did her best to keep up but her heavy armor made her fall behind. Evelyn conquered her fear enough to slow down and keep pace with Sophina.

Sophina nodded in gratitude as they raced down the path toward the front door. They slowed and approached the front door quietly. It was open.

Sophina stepped in front of Evelyn and walked slowly into the front entrance. Booms continued to rattle the walls. Sophina held her sword out in front of her as she led the way into the house.

They stopped at the first hallway and listened. The explosions seemed to be coming down the hallway. Sophina nodded her head in the direction of the explosions. Evelyn took a second to gather herself and nodded.

Please, my love, hold on. I am coming.

They walked cautiously down the long hallway. It ended with stone steps down into darkness. Sophina patted Evelyn's arm in encouragement and began the slow descent down the steps.

The stairs wound around the bottom of the house in a spiral. At last it stopped and became a long stone hallway. Flashes of fire came from the open doorway at the end. They crept along the hallway and stopped and listened as the explosions stopped.

Evelyn could hear voices. She urged Sophina forward. Sophina put her heavy boots down very softly. They approached the edge of the doorway. Sophina held out her hand to stop Evelyn from moving. Sophina very slowly peeked around the doorway.

She watched for several seconds and then retreated. She motioned Evelyn to walk back down the hallway.

Once they were out of earshot, Sophina whispered, "Daminus and Ashford are still alive. They are talking to Jon Laurent. Laurent's back is to the doorway."

Evelyn's eyes widened. "That's our chance!" she whispered excitedly.

Sophina held up her hand. "My lady, do you think anyone has a chance of sneaking up on Jon Laurent? I have a plan. I will charge in there and engage Laurent in a fight. I should last long enough to give you time to grab your husband and Ashford and get out of there." She spoke without fear.

Evelyn felt her heart clench. "Why would you sacrifice yourself for us?" she whispered.

Sophina stared so long at Evelyn that she almost didn't think she would answer. But she finally whispered back, "Some things in this life are worth dying for, my lady."

Evelyn grabbed her arm. "What are you dying for?"

Sophina turned her head. "For something I will never have. Let's go." She began walking back down the hallway.

Evelyn grabbed her. "Wait! I have a plan. It's simple but I think it will work. I will cast a quick silent spell on myself and I will stab Jon Laurent in the back."

Sophina shook her head. "He will sense you."

Evelyn's eyes shone with excitement. "No he won't! He is too busy fighting two powerful Magi to sense me!"

Evelyn didn't wait for an answer but started walking back down the hallway. She stopped at the doorway. Sophina leaned her helmeted-head close to Evelyn's ear.

"Good luck...Evelyn."

Evelyn felt something being pushed into her hand. It was Sophina's dagger. Evelyn nodded her gratitude and peeked around the edge.

"Evelyn of all people would want me to stay," her husband was saying. He looked so brave standing in front of Jon Laurent. "She knows who I am. She understands this and knows the risks we take together every day of our lives. Some things in this life are worth the ultimate price."

Yes they are, my love. I would never hold you back like that. No matter what the price may be.

Jon replied something that Evelyn didn't hear as she focused the spell in her mind. She made the quick finger movements and felt the spell settle down around her. She stepped around the corner. The spell silenced her approach.

She felt her hands shaking on the dagger as she neared Jon Laurent's back. She had not seen his face but she could feel the power coming from him. It was almost enough to make her turn around.

But she heard Daminus speak of brotherhood and she knew she could not. Her heart continued to drum inside her ears. She adjusted her grip on the dagger several times as she approached the unsuspecting back of Jon Laurent. She was glad she knew the Spell of Silence that masked her heavy breathing and clumsy footfalls.

She was only feet away when she saw Daminus' eyes glance toward her. She froze and stared back at him. She felt the soul-bond explode with love and passion. She wanted to sit down and weep from the force of it. Eyes blurring with tears, she raised the dagger.

Jon Laurent was no longer there.

Daminus stood in front of her. Everything was happening too fast for it to make any sense.

He smiled and wiped a tear from her cheek. His face grimaced in pain and blood poured from his lips.

***

Daminus' eyes widened in shock as he spotted his beloved Evelyn standing behind Jon Laurent, a dagger in her hand. For one brief, shining moment he thought they had done the impossible. He felt his love pour out over the soul-bond.

And then he saw Jon Laurent's eyes widen. In that moment, Daminus knew he had made a mistake.

He reacted on instinct. He disappeared.

His body carried him across the room in the blink of an eye. The enhancement spell affected not only his body but his brain as well. It allowed his brain to process information as fast as his body moved. So to him, everything seemed to slow down to a halt.

But Jon Laurent was equally fast. Daminus willed his body to move faster than it had ever moved. He sent a prayer to the God as he ran.

For once in his life, he knew his prayer was answered. He stepped in front of Evelyn at the precise moment Jon Laurent stabbed with his dagger.

I love you Evelyn.

***

"I love you," he whispered. The soul-bond sang with power. His eyes blazed silver so brightly that Evelyn had to look away or be blinded. The bond continued to thrum with emotions and a power that she had never felt before.

The glow faded. Evelyn kept her face turned away. She knew that Daminus was dead.

The soul-bond that sang with power only a moment before was bent and shattered. Evelyn fell to her knees and caught Daminus' falling body. She cradled it in her arms. She reached out with a hand and lovingly ran it through his blond curls. She closed his eyes with her hand. She kissed his forehead.

The scream that was ripped from her throat was almost inhuman.

***

Jon whirled around as fast as he could and stabbed with his dagger. As fast as he was, he was surprised for the first time in a long time that he wasn't fast enough.

He saw Daminus move in front of him. He felt his dagger pierce through his protection spell and sink into his back.

He pulled the dagger out and stepped back. He watched as the woman who tried to kill him caught the body.

This must be Evelyn. He would let her have her moment of grief and then he would finally end this charade.

Evelyn's sudden scream was so shocking in its grief that Jon took a step back. He watched, stunned, as she began rocking back and forth, cradling the body of her lover.

It can't be... Jon watched in horror as the woman's eyes darted all over the room, as though seeking escape from the pain. She continued to wail in a voice that was discordant to any soul in the vicinity.

Jon turned and looked at Ashford. Ashford was sobbing.

No...no it can't be!

"They were soul-bonded," he breathed. Ashford stopped sobbing to stare with pure hatred. He nodded.

Jon turned back to witness a horror he wished he never had to witness again. The woman stopped wailing but Jon suspected it was because her throat was torn. Her eyes no longer darted around. They looked lost.

Her mind is shattered. She won't last long.

Jon's grip tightened on his dagger. It would be a mercy.

"Don't you dare," said a female voice. Jon looked up and wasn't surprise to see another guest. It was a guard from the Emporium. She reached up and took her helmet off and let it fall to the ground. Her beautiful blue eyes were red-rimmed with tears.

"Fine," Jon snapped. He sheathed his dagger.

I am done with this contract. Sanje can collect this himself if he wants.

The female guard squatted on her heels and very gently began to pry Evelyn's fingers off her beloved. Evelyn wailed in short near-silent gasps and began pounding on the woman's armor. The guard looked at her with such pity and suffering that Jon knew instantly that she was in love with her.

The guard removed her glove from her right hand and dropped it on the ground. "Forgive me Evelyn," she cried. Then she snapped her right hand out in a quick cross that smashed into the side of Evelyn's temple. Evelyn collapsed to the ground like a bag of bones.

Jon turned toward Ashford. "It's over. I am not collecting this contract. I would advice you all to run somewhere safe."

"How disappointing," rang a deep voice from behind. Jon whirled around.

Standing in the doorway were three Magi. Jon's Shadow Dagger vibrated roughly against his side. He turned and looked at Ashford. His face was grey.

"They are all 10th Tier," he whispered.

The lead Magi smiled. He glowed with three layers of 10th Tier protection spells. "I can't believe Jon Laurent is passing on a contract. What's the matter, too tough for you? Don't worry; we will finish the job for you.

"Who are you?" Jon asked.

"We are a little gift from Raynolt. It is time we dealt with you, Jon Laurent. Sanje sends his regards."

Three sets of eyes glowed silver.

12