Shadow Dagger Ch. 10

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The strangest thing about Jon's disguise was the lack of a dark hood pulled low over his face. For the first time, Ashford had a chance to really see the man. His wavy chestnut-brown hair was cut at the base of his neck. Some splashes of white covered his goatee. Cold-blue eyes saw and processed everything. And most surprisingly of all, only a few lines of age spread out from his eyes. He appeared to be a handsome, middle-aged man.

"What?" Jon asked.

Ashford turned his head in embarrassment. He realized he must have been staring at him for quite some time. "Its...just that I haven't really seen your face that much. I'm pretty sure not many people have. I sort of feel honored."

Jon shook his head in amusement. But Sophina nodded her head at Ashford's words and even Evelyn had a slight smile on her face. "Don't you all have something better to do than stare at me?" he asked in mock irritation.

"It's a shame you have to cover your face so much," Sophina said, somewhat absently. Her eyes widened when the words registered in her head. She blushed furiously and busied herself by fiddling with the sword on her hip.

Ashford was shocked to see a faint bloom of red on Jon's sun-darkened cheeks. But when he spoke, he hid his embarrassment well. "I've learned that the ceremony for Raynolt will take place at mid-day. So, how about we spend some time in the market getting use to moving unseen?"

Sophina quickly agreed, perhaps eager to distract herself from her embarrassment. Ashford felt the familiar butterflies in his stomach as he nodded his head. Evelyn said nothing but she looked ready to leave.

"Good," Jon replied. "I have arranged for a carriage to carry us to the Market Quarter. Remember the plan and keep your head down. Let's go."

***

Sanje closed the door silently behind him. Hundreds of faces looked up at his entrance. He nodded greetings to several people as he made his way through the room. Everyone wore nondescript clothing. It felt odd to look at his brethren and not see the usual black clothing. A small stand had been hastily erected at the end of the long room. Sanje jumped on top and turned to face his audience.

"Welcome, my brothers," he greeted them, bowing his head. Several hundred pairs of heads bowed in return. "According to what records we have, the entire Guild of the Magi Victus has not gathered together since the signing of the original treaty with the Magi. This is a very historic day for us."

Nobody spoke. A thousand pair of eyes stared steadily back at him. "Several hours from now, we will break that treaty. The Magi will say that we were responsible for the breaking of it. But I say there was no treaty to break! We broke only a slave contract!"

Dozens of people cheered and pumped their fists in the air. Pride filled Sanje's heart at the sight. "The Magi have enslaved us our entire lives! And what was the treaty? In return for limiting their numbers, they agreed not to kill us all? That is not a fair treaty, my brothers! That is a knife held against our throats!"

This time more people cheered. Sanje had never felt more passionate in his whole life. "For over two thousand years the Magi have poisoned the public against us! They have spread lies about how we are abominations to the God! But I say they are the abominations! They are the ones who murder innocent children! And why? Why do they fear us?"

The crowd was silent. Sanje leaned in, as if to whisper intimately to each of them. "Because we are free men," he said sadly. "They can't govern us and they can't stop us. They fear to lose grip on their power. The people revere them because they believe the Magi are the instruments of the God's will. The Magi have enslaved them as surely as they have enslaved us."

Faces stared solemnly back at him. "The people have no idea what it means to be free. The Magi have hunted us all our lives. And we've had to make...unbearable sacrifices," he said, nearly choking on the words. His hand strayed to the Shadow Dagger on his side. Several of the Magi Victus looked away at the words. He even some saw with tears falling silently down their cheeks.

"And yet, we have been free. We have tasted life without the Magi governing our every action. But that freedom is a fleeting thing, my brothers. How can we taste it when we must hide in the shadows? How many of us have dared to show our faces in public? How many of us have stood in a busy market and lifted our face to feel the sun's kiss?"

He stepped down from the box and gripped each man on the shoulder that he passed. The crowd parted before him and formed a circle. He stood in the middle of the floor, alone. He had been alone all his life. It was time for that to end.

"I know we're all very tired of always having to run and hide. But now we have a chance to change that. With your blessing, I have struck a deal with the Magi. I struck a deal with the devil. The purpose of this deal is for the Magi Raynolt Teryus to gain the throne so he can grant us our freedom. It's a bad deal, I know. But it's the best option we have ever had."

Doubt flickered across several of the faces surrounding him. But even more faces firmed and nodded back at him. "I made no concessions to this war. The only thing decided is the outcome. Raynolt Teryus is very aware of the fact that we will hold nothing back. We will fight and kill them as fiercely as we can. In fact, I'm fighting to win this war and you should, too."

The crowd roared their approval. Everyone was itching to spill some Magi blood. "I know it's foolish to believe that Raynolt will keep his end of the bargain. But neither can we completely wipe out the Magi. Only the Magi can reverse generations of public sentiment. The public believe the Magi to be the extension of the God's will. With their help, we can walk proudly in public one day."

"But," Sanje continued, wagging his finger and smiling fiercely, "Raynolt also understands the consequences of betrayal. There is a secret that is passed down in the records of the Master Victus. This secret is so deadly that it will topple the Magi from power forever. Raynolt has no choice but to keep his end of the bargain."

Several people laughed as if Sanje had made a grand joke. Only the Master Victus knew the secret, for reasons obvious to people if they ever found out. The secret had nearly destroyed Sanje. He tried not to think about it ever since the day he took up the mantle of Master Victus.

Sanje raised his hands for silence. "There is one more matter to remind you about. If you see Jon Laurent anywhere, alert me immediately. Remember our plan and move in quickly once I give the signal."

Some people murmured to each other. Nobody liked Jon Laurent but they still felt guilty about betraying one of their own. Because of that, Sanje had to hand-pick the men who would accompany him. It would have to do for now; anything to see Jon Laurent dead.

"The time for speeches has ended. Make the Magi Victus proud today. Move out."

***

"It's time," Lenard said as he walked in the door.

Raynolt nodded but didn't turn around. He nervously smoothed his robe as he examined himself in the mirror. His robe was pure white with gold thread around the cuffs and hem. He smoothed back the long brown hair from his face. Despite his 150 years of life, his face was still smooth and almost boyish. His nose was a little longer than he liked but he thought his light-brown eyes made up for it.

"Raynolt?" Lenard repeated, still waiting patiently by the door.

With one last look in the mirror, Raynolt grabbed the white cloak from the chair and slung around his shoulders. "Let's go," he told Lenard, clasping the cloak as he walked from his office.

"While we are alone, will you tell me now about your plans to assassinate Reynar?" Lenard asked as they made their way down the hallway.

Raynolt glanced at him from the corner of his eye.Can I trust him now? He ignored Lenard's question as he pondered his dilemma. "I've decided to abandon it for now," Raynolt finally replied, settling on a half-truth.

"Why? What was the plan?"

"It no longer matters," Raynolt snapped.Really, I've let him get away with too much since I started searching for the spy. It's time I correct that. "If you were wise, Lenard, you wouldn't continue to question me. Remember your place!"

Lenard jerked as if Raynolt had physically struck him. "Sorry, Grand Master," he replied apologetically. He slowed down until he was a step behind Raynolt.

Smirking, Raynolt put him out of his mind. Despite the imminent threat of war, he was actually looking forward to his ceremony. It was the first chance for the public to witness his rise to power. He fervently hoped Sanje would hold back his attack until after the ceremony. He should have stressed that point more during their meetings.

They exited the Emporium and walked into bright sunshine. Raynolt smiled as he saw that there wasn't a cloud in the sky. It was going a perfect day. He rubbed his hands in excitement.

A crowd of Magi loitered in the courtyard. There was a flurry of activity as servants ran to and from, getting everything ready for the Magi's trip into the city. Every Magi was wearing their best robes. Most of them turned when Raynolt strode by. They bowed their heads respectfully. Raynolt nodded back at them and continued on his way toward the main gate.

Morgana met him at the gates with his horse and a squad of fifty mounted guardsmen.

"Grand Master," she greeted him, obediently bowing her head.

"Master Rosewood," he graciously returned the greeting.

"All is ready, Grand Master," she said. "The Magi will be ready to ride in a few minutes."

Raynolt waved lazily and took the opportunity to study the activity behind him. Servants were now fetching horses for their Magi masters. Raynolt smirked as several were helped up into the saddle. Doubtless they knew very little about riding horses. Every Magi was given instruction as children; but unless they had reason to continue riding horses, they soon forgot even the simplest instructions.

He patted his pure white stallion on the nose before climbing in the saddle in one easy movement. He smiled in pleasure as he realized his horse was bigger than anyone else's. His higher seat gave him a feeling of greater power. He saw Morgana wink at him as she turned her horse.

Not for the first time, Raynolt lamented the fact that she was the spy. She really was a good companion to have. Shrugging slightly to himself, he kicked his horse into motion. The guards fell into formation around him and Lenard. Morgana led the way from the front. The crowd of Magi fell in behind his party.

As they rode down the street into the city, people stopped and stared in wonder. Most of them already wore the Festival masks, though it wouldn't be until night before the wild revelry began. The common folk loved celebrating the symbolic day when the God called the Order of 12 to the Fields of Summer. It was also the day to honor the war against the warlords, but most people just used it as an excuse to toast something with their mugs of ale.

The crowd grew thicker as they enter the city proper. The path from the Emporium led to the Merchant Quarter of the city. The guards shouted for people to clear the way. Merchants and customers alike stopped their haggling and stared in awe as the party of Magi rode by. It was very rare to see so many Magi gathered together. An excited buzz of voices followed them as they made their way to the Royal Quarter.

Lenard leaned over his horse and nearly had to shout for Raynolt to hear him. "Are you sure the Magi Victus aren't going to attack now, while we are riding single file like lambs to the slaughter?"

Raynolt glanced around him and was reasonably sure nobody in the crowded market place had heard him. Still, he directed an angry snarl at Lenard. "Could you say that any louder? Do you want to start a riot now?"

Lenard bowed his head in apology. Raynolt thought he saw a grimace of anger pass over his face.When did I start to lose his loyalty? The man has not acted very subservient lately. Raynolt thought he knew why. "Do you still want to know my plans for Reynar?"

Lenard perked up. He glanced at the people nearby and nodded his head briefly. Raynolt was glad to see he was starting to remember his caution. "I believe Ashford Caulston may be lured here today."There, let him figure that out for himself.

Lenard's eyes widened in understanding. If Ashford could be located and killed today, Reynar would be that much more vulnerable. Of course, Lenard didn't know that Raynolt wasn't really planning on that happening today. He just wanted Lenard's mind occupied for a time.

The bustling bazaar of the Merchant Quarter gradually gave way to the elegant and graceful buildings of the Royal Quarter. Here was where the city's most important citizens called home. Most importantly, this is where the King of Astuari called home. The silver and gold walls of the palace would sparkle brightly in the day's sun. Raynolt eagerly awaited the day when he could call the palace home.

The Royal Quarter was a stark contrast to the overwhelming activity of the Merchant Quarter. Instead of merchants haggling at the top of their lungs, the Royal Quarter boasted elegant storefronts with respectful businessmen. People here did not run about making deals as fast as possible. They walked serenely through the many gardens and over the beautifully cobbled streets. It was quiet and peaceful.

As Raynolt's party passed loudly through the main avenues, people stepped politely out of the way and bowed deeply in respect. Nobody ogled them or shouted loud cheers. There was only a quiet respect and a sincere reverence. Raynolt nodded grandly at the nobles as he rode by. This is where he belonged, among a cultured and elegant people.

The crowd in the Royal Quarter thickened as Raynolt neared his destination. In the center of the Quarter, not far from the gates of the palace, were twelve magnificent statutes of solid gold. The statutes ringed an immense floor of white marble. White marble benches radiated from the center, surrounding a beautiful podium of marble veined with gold. The circumference of the Courtyard of the Twelve had to be a half-mile at least. Thousands of people could sit on the benches and thousands more could find standing room.

This is where Raynolt would experience his greatest achievement. The guards in front of him dismounted from their horses. Dozens of servants ran out from the nearby stables, which were built specifically to handle a great number of horses. Raynolt dismounted from his horse and handed over the reins to a bright-eyed young boy. He smiled warmly at him and handed him a silver coin. It was a going to be a good day.

***

"This is where we part," Jon told them, as they stood in the shadow of a deserted alley in the Market Quarter. Most of the people in the market had begun their exodus to the Royal Quarter in the vain hopes of securing a coveted seat to watch the ceremony.

They nodded back at him. Jon gave them one last firm look before hunching his shoulders and stepping out of the alley and into the flow of people headed to the Royal Quarter. He was jostled aside until he walked along the edge of the crowd. Beggars in this part of the city were hardly spared a glance. Indeed, beggars had been known to die when carriages failed to stop for them.

Jon kept his shoulders hunched and kept his pace slow. He doubted anybody would recognize him but he didn't like to take chances. He just hoped nobody recognized the other three before they could execute his plan. He shook his in wonder when he realized he was more concerned for their safety than the success of his plan.

I must be getting soft, he thought wryly. He couldn't remember the last time he let himself care for anybody. Three thousand years was a long time to live without going mad from grief if he allowed himself to care about people who would die long before he did. It was just another small sacrifice that had been demanded of him.

But we're coming to the end. I don't have to hold out for much longer. Maybe the God will see fit to grant me the peace I have longed for. He doubted it. He forced the thought from his head and focused on where he was. He had long ago abandon his hope for peace.

He walked along the main avenue for another mile before the merchant warehouses gave way to lavish homes and large storefronts. He hung back from the flow of the crowd as he made his way to a nearby alley.

A few people were lounging in the alley but gave way when Jon came shuffling up. One of the men spat at his feet and growled, "Filthy beggars shouldn't be allowed here."

Jon's hand twitched but he wisely reined his temper in. The man was well dressed and had probably never tasted desperation in his life. Jon let his anger fade and made his way further into the alley. He glanced back and made sure the men were still turned the other way. When he was sure nobody was watching, he manipulated his magic and jumped straight up.

His feet kicked off the wall ten feet in the air and propelled him across the alley to the other wall. He kicked off that wall and landed on the roof opposite. He crouched low and sprinted across the roof. He knelt at the edge and looked out over the city. He could see the Courtyard of the Twelve about half a mile away.

There were few buildings near the Courtyard close enough for a conventional assassination. But Jon Laurent was anything but conventional. He spotted what looked to be a tavern close to the last row of benches in the Courtyard. He jumped over to a nearby roof and made his way to the building that would give him the view he wanted.

***

"This is where we part," Jon told them, as they stood in the shadow of a deserted alley in the Market Quarter.

Sophina nodded eagerly. She gripped her sword tight and tried her best to suppress her excitement. She itched to test her new skills against anyone that stood in their way. She silently wished Jon luck as he slipped out of the alley. It was a shame he had to dress like a beggar. A handsome man like that deserved better.

Ashford looked at her nervously so she gave him her best reassuring smile. "Do you think it's going to work?" he asked her.

Evelyn sighed. Sophina suppressed her own irritation and apologized on behalf of Evelyn. "Yeah, it's going to be fine. Just try to have some faith in the plan."

Ashford looked doubtful but Sophina had done the best she could for him. It was time to focus on her part of the plan. Jon had told Sophina to guard Evelyn with her life. She meant to keep that promise.

"It's time," Evelyn said suddenly. It was the first time she had spoken since they left Jon's house.

Sophina pushed that worry aside for a later time. She gave Ashford one last reassuring nod before stepping out of the alley with Evelyn. The thin stream of people immediately gave way to Evelyn when they took in her expensive clothing and the bodyguard by her side.

Sophina saw quite a few people stare after Evelyn with searching eyes.Thieves, Sophina growled to herself. Her hand on her sword and the cold look on her face deterred the would-be thieves. They slunk away quickly whenever her gaze swept over them.

"Thank you," Evelyn said quietly.

Sophina started. "I guess you aren't as out of it as I thought."

Evelyn glanced sideways at her as they continue to walk down the main avenue. "I'm...sorry for how I have been behaving. I've been having a hard time concentrating. I had no idea how debilitating my grief would be..."

Sophina reached her hand out and then thought better of it. She had to maintain the proper appearance. "I can't possibly imagine what it's like for you. We all grew up hearing the horror stories of people who had lost their soul-mate."