Shadow Of The Wolf Ch. 10

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Besides that," Troy waved a dismissive hand. "There is something going on with you and you're hiding it from me." With a penetrating look, he grinned lopsidedly, "No matter. I'll get it out of you somehow, you'll see."

Irritated at Troy, Luc turned his back and kept walking. "Leave me be," he grumbled. "Come on, we'd better move before they get way far ahead of us."

"Hmmm, I see. Are you sure you're the real Luc? You're grumpier than a bear that's awakened from hibernation. What would cause my calm and collected brother to become so erratic, I wonder?" With a considering look on his face, he kept paced with Luc until they reached the Clinic.

Just as they stepped inside the clinic doors and before Luc got the chance to dodge him, he spoke thoughtfully. "I know I get like you when I don't get laid for a long time...but you're not like me, and can actually go without action, which to my belief, is quite an aberration." A dark scowl was Luc's response to that.

With a thoughtful look on Troy's face, he continued. "The only thing I can think of for this mood is when a mature wolf has found its mate, but the mate is just too young and has not reached his or her sexual maturity yet to be... mated..." With speculation in his eyes, his words trailed off and the smirk on his face slowly disappeared. Luc's face reddened and a brief flare of panic showed in his eyes before he managed to shutter it from his brother's scrutiny.

Amazement and incredulity clear on his face, Troy grabbed Luc tightly on the shoulder before he could make his escape. "When -? How -?" He nearly shouted.

Luc breathed a deep sigh. Leave it to Troy to be so dramatic. There was no way to keep his secret now if he didn't make his brother vow to keep a lid on it. He saw his Alphas stop and look back inquiringly at them upon hearing Troy's exclaimed questions.

"What's the excitement?" Alex sauntered closer. "I for one would welcome some good news." Alex asked of the brothers, eagerly.

Luc glared at Troy, reminding him through their twin bond not to open his mouth. 'It's my secret to tell. And I'll let them know when I'm ready.'

'I concede that, brother. But don't you think that it's a great gift to finally find your mate? I for one am happy for you -- scratch that, I'm overjoyed that Luna had blessed you with a mate.' Troy responded with all seriousness.

'I know but let me handle it my way first.'

'Agreed. But please don't take so much time, this is not an obscure language or prophecy that you need to study. It just is. Accept it and you'll be happier.'

Nodding his head, Luc turned to Alex and smiled briefly.

"I've been favored by the Goddess with a gift. Although at the moment I don't really know what to do with it."

"Huh? You don't say? Is it some kind of power? Did she visit you while you were unconscious? Is that how you found out about it?" Alex was so excited for Luc that she couldn't help wearing a silly smile on her face.

Rance considered his beta. Seeing the disquiet and uncertainty reflected in his eyes, Rance wrapped his arm around Alex shoulder and slowly turned her back towards the hallway. "Luc will tell us what it is when he is ready to do so. Let him figure it out first." Nodding back at his beta, Rance said, "Remember that Luna knows what we need. So whatever it is, rejoice that you are one of her favored."

"I am ... I will." Luc said solemnly, nodding at his Alpha.

He watched Rance and Alex walk away, and then followed discreetly behind. Troy was looking at him quizzically but remained blessedly quiet for once.

Alex and Rance decided to split up once they got to the banks of the elevator. She went ahead upstairs to visit with the mysterious girl, while he and Alex's brothers went down to the basement where the holding cells were. Luc and Troy continued on with Alex. Once she was done visiting with the mystery girl, she'd follow downstairs, as would they, her faithful security detail.

The door to the girl's room was open and Alex saw her sitting up in the hospital bed with pillows propped up behind her. The girl was staring blankly outside the glass windows. Watching her, Alex noted that she was on the petite side. The girl had short spiky blonde hair that seemed to defy taming as it stood on end on her head. Alex couldn't really tell what she looked like since her head was turned away from the door. Her slight frame was almost dwarfed by the hospital bed. Her arms still showed some faint bruises, but over all she looked good for someone who'd been found battered as hell and half dead.

Clearing her throat, Alex knocked at the open door. She knew the girl was aware of their presence, since they'd determined she was a turned shifter, and thus probably smelled as well as heard them arrive before Alex even knocked. The girl slowly turned and trained guarded bright blue eyes her way.

God! She's just a baby, thought Alex.

The girl's face looked so innocent and young but her eyes were full of torment and pain. The girl blinked and immediately shuttered her emotions but her eyes belied the turmoil seething behind the bland façade she strove to present to them.

"Hello. It's good to see you up and about." Alex took a couple of steps into the room. "I'm Alex," she smiled gently and pointed behind her where the brothers remained quiet. "And these two are Luc and Troy."

The girl looked from her to the two men behind her. The flare of panic was immediately extinguished, but the sour smell of fear lingered even after she mastered her reaction.

"It's okay. We're not here to hurt you. We want to know how we can help you." Alex did not attempt to come any nearer since she sensed that the girl felt cornered somehow.

With a reassuring smile, she asked, "Would you like them to leave? I just want to visit with you for a little bit. Would that be fine?"

The girl nodded her head and trained her eyes on the men.

'Go. Leave me with her. I'll be fine.' Alex urged the brothers.

'As you wish, Regina. We'll be right outside the door.' Luc answered for them both. Nodding their heads at the girl, they walked out and stationed themselves right outside.

Looking uncertainly at Alex, the girl's lips curved in a slight smile. But other than that, no other sign of welcome was extended.

"Do you mind if I come nearer? I'd love to get to know you more." Alex slowly walked forward and sat on the chair next to the bed after the girl nodded her head.

"You know my name," Alex smiled. "Would it be too much to ask for yours?" The girls shook her head and ducked her head, as if hiding from Alex's gaze.

"Grace..." She said so quietly, "my name is Grace."

"That wasn't so hard, was it?" Alex kept her tone as mild and soothing as she could. She kept a smile on her face to appear less intimidating. She didn't have any experience dealing with traumatized people. All she knew was that their experiences would leave them broken and fearful for some time. Hoping that by presenting herself as an ally and friend, it would encourage the young woman to open up.

She'd read somewhere that it helped some victims to share their painful experiences. It would be like lancing a wound that had been festering and finally letting out the infection that was causing the infection. It would be painful for sure, but ultimately helpful in the healing process.

This girl sitting before her had suffered untold abuse. She was strong enough to elude her captors and escape in the woods. Fate and Luna had led her here to Alex's pack.

Alex was a strong believer in destiny. Rance and her mating was a great example.

Alex believed that this girl was destined to find her way here to the Estate. To what purpose, she did not know yet, but she would do her best to assist her in finding out in any way she could.

Looking at the vulnerable girl, Alex felt a strange affinity for this waif of a girl-woman. Although her conversion was not marred by violence, they both were humans prior to becoming shifters.

An inner prodding made her compulsively project comfort and tranquility to the abused girl as she sat quietly by her bed. She hoped it was working, because she didn't know what the hell what she was doing. Though bumbling in the dark, she felt the power flow out of her. She hoped that the child in her belly know what he/she was doing, because she certainly didn't.

Alex sat without speaking. She watched as the girl's stiff posture slowly relaxed and the haunted look around her eyes diminished.

Grace kept her gaze fixed outside her window, having no idea what to make out of the woman in the room with her. She sensed that in her flight for freedom, she had stumbled into a place inhabited by beings like the one she had left.

Leery of them when she first woke up, she had later on concluded that these beings didn't seem to want to harm or hurt her. Still, doubt cast a long shadow over her mind as to whether she should trust these people or not.

On the other hand, their female Alpha exuded a calming presence that silenced the shrieks of terror in Grace's brain. Having Alex sit quietly in the same room with her acted like a balm to her broken spirit.

Alex watched and patiently waited for Grace to say something else. She figured she'd wait the girl out and let her volunteer any information without any pressure from Alex. If Grace shared her experience of her own volition, then she'd be on her way to healing.

Several minutes passed. The girl on the bed did not fidget or show any sign of restlessness. On the contrary, she seemed to relax more and her eyes began to droop. A slight smile curved Alex's mouth. She'd heard from everyone that Grace was incapable of relaxing and shedding her guard in the presence of anyone. They'd even had to resort to sedating her to get her to rest more.

Finally, Grace's even breathing and closed lids revealed she had succumbed to the arms of Morpheus. Alex stayed a little bit longer. She heard Luc approach and turned just as he poked his head in the room. Putting her finger in front of her lips, she mimed "quiet", and inclined her head towards the sleeping girl. With a smile, Luc nodded.

Alex stood and walked out of the room, quietly closing the door behind her. She waved her hand for Luc to precede her down the hall. Deciding that they were far enough away not to disturb the girl, she stopped.

"Something wrong?" asked Alex. Luc shook his head. "Are my parents here already then?"

"Not yet. But Rance requests your presence down in the basement. He would like to have your take on the progress of the interrogation downstairs."

"Why didn't he contact me himself?" Irritation was rife in her voice. Rance could have told her himself through their bond.

Luc appeared uncomfortable answering her, "Ah... He said that you have your walls up again."

"Walls --?"

"He could not get through the block you've put up."

"But I did not..." She trailed off and closed her eyes. Taking a deep breath, she looked inside herself to determine if she'd unconsciously thrown a wall to prevent her mate from connecting with her. Deep in her psyche she found it, but it did not appear to be one she would usually put up. Her mind blocks ordinarily looked like a brick wall. This one appeared to be made out of hard faceted glass. It was more like a diamond really, shiny and slick in appearance. Her bafflement grew into alarm, thinking that someone was manipulating her mind. Following the signature thread of power, she was surprised to discover it was coming from their tiny offspring.

'You are full of surprises, little one.' Alex mindspoke to her baby with affection.

A gurgle of sound that she interpreted as giggles echoed back to her. Satisfied that it was not someone sinister, she left and blinked her eyes open to see Luc studying her closely.

Arching one of her brow, she smirked at him. "Everything's fine. It's just an idea of a joke from this one here," she patted her belly.

Luc's eyes rounded in surprise and awe, he opened and closed his mouth like a fish on land. It was so comical to Alex that she started laughing at him.

"Care to share the joke with me?" Troy said, as he joined them.

Shaking her head, Alex linked her arms with both of them, "It's nothing Troy, just me having some fun with staid Luc here. Let's go and see what the big bad wolf wants."

"Huh?" Troy asked bemusedly.

"Rance. Your Alpha, hence the Big Bad Wolf." She grinned.

**********

The four men standing facing the one-way mirror watched grim-faced as the rogue slumped unconscious as he hung in chains on the wall. The rogue had been disgustingly uncooperative and downright defiant at times.

"Any suggestions on how we will proceed? Torture doesn't seem to faze them at all." Damian said quietly.

"Everyone has a breaking point, you know that," Rance replied. "We have to keep going short of killing them. We need to find the weakest one," he said thoughtfully.

Andrew and Jake stood listening quietly as the two men conversed.

"The other alphas had the same result. They were unable to extract the whereabouts of the mastermind's hideout or lair," Damian reminded Rance.

"I know. But we have more at stake here at the Estate."

"What do you mean?" Jake interrupted.

Shaking his head at his Prime, he looked at Alex's brothers with his penetrating gaze. The two refused to lower their eyes and remained locked in a silent battle of wills with Rance. Damn if he'd let these two humans butt their noses into pack business. Granted they were Alex's brothers, but if they continued to ruffle his fur he'd bite a chunk off their hides.

He gave both a toothy smile rife with promise of pain. Neither blinked, much to his surprise. Even the hardiest and toughest wolf shifter trembled in fear when Rance trained his eyes on them. These humans had balls of steel to not be intimidated by an apex predator who could kill them in a blink of an eye. Not that he would -- of course. He could not help but have a grudging respect for Andrew and Jake's silent courage.

Vaguely, he heard the ding of the elevator arriving. He scented the delicious smell of his mate. The bond snapped into place again and he felt Alex's presence nearing. Breaking his gaze with the brothers, he swung toward the closed door to the hallway.

'What took you so long? And why did you block our link? Good thing I could still sense you or I would have run upstairs thinking something was wrong.' Rance mindspoke to Alex as she stood framed in the doorway.

'Hey! It was not my fault. Blame it on your pup. He or she thought it funny to block you from me. Alex replied with mirth. Why? Did you make any progress yet?'

'The pup did it?' he asked, incredulity laced with healthy amount of pride. 'As for our progress here, there's not much to tell.'

Rance smiled as Alex entered the room flanked by Luc and Troy. He lifted his hand and waited for Alex to take it. Twining their fingers, he drew her to his side and kissed her lightly on the lips.

"How was the visit with our mystery girl?"

"Quite interesting," she scrunched her nose at him. He thought it endearing and cute. "She told me her name and she actually fell asleep while I was there," she said with an air of excitement.

"And this is progress, how?" Rance asked.

"All the days that she'd been conscious, she refused to talk. And they had to resort to drugging her to get her to relax enough to sleep."

"Remarkable...." A speculative gleam entered his eyes. You're not telling me something you think is important.

She grinned triumphantly at Rance and regarded everyone in the room with them. "When I was talking to Grace -," she broke off when Rance lifted a brow at the name. "The mystery girl's name is Grace." She explained to the room at large. "Anyway, I felt this need to project a sense of security and peace. So I did. And guess what happened? It worked!" Alex claimed excitedly.

"How?" Andrew asked. "Is this another thing that came with becoming a shifter? If so, why not just compel those rogues there to tell you what you want to know?"

Alex brows knitted, not knowing whether she should tell them that it wasn't really her, but the baby inside her. She looked up to Rance for guidance.

"Not everyone is gifted with this ability." Rance explained. "I can compel any wolf shifter to change because that comes with the territory of being the Alpha. But I cannot compel them to do anything else against their will." 'Except my mate of course.'

'I heard that!' Alex responded.

'Not that I would do it again. Unless, of course if was is for your own safety and protection, then I would do it without remorse'. Alex canted her head in assent. Not that she would give Rance reason to compel her obedience.

"Is this the first time you've tried it?" Jake asked with interest.

"Yes. Why?"

"Maybe you can use your mojo with these rogues then. I gather they haven't made any progress, even with the help of those silver manacles." Jake told Alex.

"Huh? I'm not so sure," she looked uncertainly at the rogue shifter in the other room.

"Come on Alex, at least try. Were there any adverse side effects you experienced after you did what you did?" Andrew prompted.

Swinging her gaze back at her brother, "No, not really."

"So what harm would it do if you practice on him?" Jake dipped his head toward the slumped rogue.

"I guess I can try," she said rather reluctantly. Alex was not even sure if she could command it. All she knew was that she felt a need to project at that moment. How could she help if she was unsure herself?

Rance turned her to face the mirror. The chained rogue was slowly stirring to consciousness. She watched him blink at the bright light trained on him. Seeing the two enforcers in the room, he slowly straightened and glowered evilly at them. A smirk curved his split lips.

"You'll not get anything from me or any of us," he spat scathingly. "Your days are numbered. The Promised One will exact vengeance. Blood will pool aplenty as he ascends and your so-called Alpha Council will be no more."

"What is he talking about?" Alex asked, confused.

"They are claiming that the shifter they're following is the Promised One of Luna," Damian answered.

"B-But that's impossible!" Alex replied. Rance and Damian nodded while Andrew did not miss the certainty in Alex voice.

"They are a delusional bunch, Alex. We know that. But they believed whatever drivel this Pretender fed them," Rance said. "I don't like the timing of this. Neither do I like the coincidence of his claims." 'Especially with our baby confirmed by Luna as the Promised One'. Rance whispered in their link.

Alex grasped Rance's hands tightly. She was now more fearful for her baby. Yes, Luna had given the baby powers. But a baby was no match against an army of deranged shifters, which were not thenormal run-of-the mill variety, but monstrous and hideously grotesque perversions of shifters.

Rance patted her hand and kissed the top of head. "It's okay, Alex. Remember, Luna's on our side." He smiled down at her as he cupped her face and caressed her cheek tenderly with his thumb. "So, are you willing to give it a try?"

There was no way she'd let her baby be harmed if she could help it! The attacks before were not just centered on their pack alone. Once the existence of the real Promised One surfaced, this lunatic would surely do everything to try and kill her baby. It had tried to kill her before, and rampaged through her home when it couldn't, to destroy Rance and presumably thereby destabilize the Alpha Council; and that was without even knowing she carried the real Promised One!

Laying a hand where her baby rested inside her womb, she sent a promise to protect the tiny life with all of her being. She felt Rance's warmth behind her before his arms enfolded her. His big, capable hand joined hers as they lay protectively over the tiny life inside her body.