Sharkbait Ch. 76: Conclusion

Story Info
Sharkbait's World Tour.
20.5k words
4.87
10.6k
38

Part 15 of the 23 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 06/06/2020
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
partwolf
partwolf
2,308 Followers

I put the letter in my purse, still fuming. "Relax, Vicki. You knew this would happen," Fiona sent me.

"What was that," Mark asked.

"The man who sexually harassed me over the summer is suing me," I said.

"The THESE TITS guy?" Of course, Jessica said that a little too loud, which got a bunch of tables looking at me. Her father glared at her. "You kicked his butt," she whispered.

"Yeah. No good deed goes unpunished," I said. "I guess this is why we spend money on lawyers."

Mark was shaking his head. "I saw that on YouTube after it happened. I don't think you can be quiet about this. It's outrageous; you should be the one suing HIM for sexual harassment."

"I just might do that. I'll see what my team has to say." I hope Adrienne has tranquilizers handy when Leo finds out about this, much less Dad. I relaxed as the waitress came back with the desserts. I'd ordered the Hot Chocolate Godiva Cake, while Jessica had the Bananas Foster Butter Cake with butter pecan ice cream, flamed tableside.

"It's been twenty years since I could eat like that and stay slim," Thomas said. "I'm going to have to do another mile on the treadmill from LOOKING at those desserts."

"Youthful metabolism and hours of exercise," I said. "I've been like this for years, first with the swim team and now with diving, running, and martial arts. I know it won't last forever, but I like eating! I work out every day with SEALs, so I'm not slacking off. Hammer is pretty seriously involved with Amy's Mom, and we've been working out with him almost since we got here."

"I heard that," Mark said. "I thought you and James made a good couple, but I guess that didn't last."

"I kicked him in the shin and told him he was an idiot after the Las Vegas videos came out," Jessica said proudly. "Not that it mattered. Lauren's dumped him already." No wonder she hadn't talked to me at the dojo lately.

We had a great evening, and Jessica didn't want to go. "School night, and I need to study too," I said. "It was fun diving with you."

"Thank you," she said. I thanked the guys, then Bill, Fiona, and I got back into the Tank and headed back. We were all full, as I had put my security and my cameraman at the next table and bought their dinners too. "Bill, tell me you got some of that on tape," I said.

He just smiled. "I had a camera on you the whole time, and the footage after you read the summons is going to be gold," he said. "I could practically see the steam coming out of your ears."

"I better deal with that before that bastard releases anything to the press." I called my lawyer's phone, leaving a message for him and telling him I'd scan and send the documents when I got home. He called back and calmed me down; from a legal perspective, his complaint had no merit. "Then why file it?"

"Harassment and hoping you pay something to make it go away."

I snorted. "That won't happen." I'd been thinking of a few things. "I'd like to go on a counter-offensive in the press. Is there any downside to that?"

"Don't deviate from what happened, and don't say anything defamatory," he said.

I hung up and got on a conference with the people I trusted: my publicist, my accountant, Alpha Steven, Linda, Mercedes, Leo, Adrienne, Amy, Kai, Dad, and Mom. I quickly explained what was going on and read the first part of the lawsuit. "My first question is what this means to our brand," I asked.

Mercedes just laughed. "No worries there, Vicki. The show is going to come out during the November sweeps, so the timing is perfect. The videos of his assault and your ass-kicking have been out for months, and we can tease the extra footage we have. The more press coverage we get of this lawsuit, the more opportunities to come out against harassment and sexism."

"I'd suggest getting in front of this," my publicist said. "Do an interview, maybe with one of the morning shows, and go after him hard. Talk about how difficult it is to get taken seriously as a person; maybe open up about some of the other harassment you've endured." We had our plan by the end of the call, and my publicist would set up the interview.

Stan asked me to stay on the line after the others dropped off. "I've been working with Captain Thomas on the options, and we think you've missed a simple option for a vessel," he said.

"What's that?"

"Oregon State University owns two oceanographic research vessels, obtained using government grants in 2021," he said. "Both vessels are the same; almost 200 feet long, equipped for ocean floor mapping, and capable of berthing thirteen crew and sixteen scientists for three weeks at a time. Why not use those?"

"I'm going to Oregon, not Oregon State," I said. "The largest boat the marine biology program has is a forty-two-foot trawler."

"You have to ask. If not there, maybe with Scripps in San Diego, or another West Coast university?"

"I'll look into it. Thank you, Stan." I hung up, flipping through my contacts until I found the number of the Director of the Oregon Institute of Marine Biology. I sent him a text asking him to call me about research vessels.

He called me right back. I explained that I needed a vessel suited to marine research and diving between January and May for my show, with an outline of what I needed. He said he'd contact his colleagues and get back to me.

I had a lot going through my head as I got back to the Good Times; I talked briefly to the three couples relaxing in and around the hot tub before heading to bed. My publicist had an interview arranged with Good Morning America at eight the next morning, and I had to be at the studio in downtown San Diego for the remote.

I was sitting in the green room the next morning, waiting for my turn, and only then did I realize the setup I'd be facing. The segment before mine was devoted to the press conference Brian's lawyer had taped last night and released this morning. The show played his announcement, including the footage showing him getting taken to the ground and choked out. "My client did not deserve to suffer permanent injuries over a disagreement," he said. "This lawsuit seeks to compensate him for the pain and suffering he's dealt with since this vicious attack by a martial arts expert."

"But should your client profit from the consequences of his actions," the host asked.

"The reaction was so out of proportion to his actions as to be unreasonable, and we believe a jury will agree with us," he said.

"I guess we will find out when this goes to court." He ended the video feed and looked at the camera. "We'll be back after these messages with headlines, weather, and an exclusive interview with the other party to this case, model and shark conservationist Vicki Lawrence."

The assistant producer came in and brought me to the room, hooking me up for sound and explaining the camera and monitor status. I just nodded, fuming that I had to respond instead of getting out front. The producer counted down to the start of the segments as Alyssa Thompson, the morning co-host, gave the introduction to this segment. "With us today is Vicki Lawrence, the young woman in the viral video who laid the smack-down on the graduate student who sexually assaulted her on a research boat. Welcome to Good Morning America, Vicki."

"Thank you, Alyssa. It's great to talk to you again." I'd appeared with her twice before, once after the ocean rescue, and once for my shark conservation foundation.

"What is your reaction to the lawsuit and the statement you just heard?"

"I think it shows that stupidity can be a permanent condition," I deadpanned, causing her to spit her coffee out. "It's not like the whole country didn't already know of Brian's openly sexist and criminally abusive behavior."

"You didn't file charges against him after it happened," Alyssa challenged.

"I thought the situation had been handled well at the time. Captain Merrill and the administration acted quickly, and Brian got kicked off the ship and out of school by the next morning. I received nothing but support from the crew, and the expedition was a great experience for me. That does not mean that I will not file criminal assault charges in the future."

"Brian's lawsuit accuses you of intentionally causing permanent injuries."

"I'm sure his symptoms showed up shortly after he found out I had money," I replied. "I wanted to leave, and he sexually assaulted me first. I took him down and used my training to choke him out."

"You admit to strangling him until he lost consciousness?"

"Jiu-Jitsu does not strangle; I was not stopping his breathing. You apply pressure to the side of the neck, momentarily cutting off blood flow to the brain. Five to ten seconds later, it's nap time. You see it all the time in Mixed Martial Arts fights, and others have done it to me dozens of times at the dojo. Let's be honest here, Alyssa; the only injury was to his reputation, and this lawsuit is a desperate grab for money. He and his lawyer think I will pay him to go away, but they don't understand how stubborn I am. I will go bankrupt fighting this before I pay that man a DIME."

"That's a strong statement, Vicki."

"You need to be capable and determined to make it in this world with predators like that around. I'm sure you've dealt with it, and I bet many women watching this are nodding their heads right now. They are thinking of times they were harassed, ridiculed, or discriminated against because they dared to be attractive AND smart."

I had her; I could tell that in her eyes. "So, what do you say to those people who think you got where you are because of your appearance?"

"I'm not giving that speech from the boat again," I said with a laugh. "I've worked hard to get where I am, and I'm working even harder to achieve my goals. My physical appearance got me my break, and I'll admit that. When you get that chance, though, you still have to be competent enough to take advantage of it. I enjoy modeling, I love shark research, and I love representing Bodyglove. Their support has been a great help in getting my foundation up and running. We now have over twenty thousand trackers on thirty-two different shark species around the world, providing valuable data on shark migration and behavior." "It's quite the achievement at the age of eighteen. What is next for you?"

"I start a world tour for Bodyglove that runs to the end of the year. I've also formed a production company, Sharkbait Productions, Incorporated, to develop reality series and documentaries centered on diving and shark research. Oh, and I have to do my freshman chemistry homework."

That got her laughing. "I'll let you get back to your studies." The camera turned off. "That was Oregon State University freshman Vicki Lawrence, who has enough on her plate without nuisance lawsuits. In the next segment, legal expert Veronica Marist and Congressman Louis Washburn debate whether it is time to bring a loser-pays rule into civil court."

I let out a breath as the assistant producer helped remove the earpiece and microphone. "You did well," she says. "You should have broken his arms, though."

I laughed. "Dad said he should have been chum." I left the studio and went straight to the dojo, knowing I could get some running in before my class started.

Ch. 77

I was almost to the dojo when my lawyer, Lawrence Fenwick, called me. Beta Lawrence had been a friend of our family since he defended Leo and Adrienne in front of the Council thirteen years ago, and his small practice was now helping me. "How did I do," I asked him.

"You did well, but he's not giving up. Skip Bonino is joining the suit, and they are alleging a pattern of excessive force by you."

Skip was the extreme sports athlete in Hawaii who tried to drag me off and rape me; I'd beaten him up on video before breaking his upper arm with a kick. "These guys don't learn," I said.

"The gloves come off, Vicki. I need you to go to the FBI office in San Diego and file a complaint against Brian for indecent assault. It's a misdemeanor under Federal law. Take the lawyer you used when you ended up with the art."

"He's bound to file a criminal complaint against me," I said.

"He can try, but I doubt if the US Attorney for Massachusetts will pursue that. Your complaint, she will jump on it. It has everything a politically-motivated prosecutor looks for; clear video evidence, a sympathetic victim, and publicity."

"Why the FBI? The vessel belongs to a Massachusetts research institution."

"The FBI has jurisdiction on the high seas, and you were outside of waters 'wholly within the boundaries of the state.'"

I arrived at the dojo, waiting in the car for the call to finish. "What is the advantage of the criminal charges?"

"I think he's trying to embarrass you and get a quick payout. Even though it is just a Federal misdemeanor, he's stuck. If he pleads guilty, the conviction feeds into his civil case and makes him look bad. Brian should refuse to answer questions using his fifth amendment rights, but in civil court, his refusal to answer CAN be used against him. As long as the US Attorney doesn't charge you with assault, you are better off."

I started thinking like a publicist. "Are you in New Hampshire?" His Pack lived in the White Mountains.

"Yes, I'm at my office."

"I think it would be best if we did this at the FBI Office in Boston. I can tip off the press that I am coming. There is more interest in that area in the story, and we take it right to him. Maybe we can meet with the US Attorney or her representative in person."

I heard him chuckle. "It's a three-hour drive, so you'll pay for a full day, including my lunch."

"Worth every penny. Besides, you know you'll be working on stuff for other clients while a Pack member drives you there. You better not double-bill for your time." Lawyers. If they thought about your case while sitting on the toilet at home, they charged you.

"You're my favorite client, Vicki; nobody gets people spun up like you do. Text me your flight time, and I'll have you picked up at Logan."

"I will. Thank you, Lawrence." I hung up and made another call, this time to my Mom. After explaining the situation, she agreed to my plan, and Fiona did as well. I pulled up a travel app and booked first-class seats on the flights I needed, then texted the information to Lawrence and Olivia. "Come on; we should tell Hammer what's happening."

He was waiting for me when I came in the door. "I have to go to Boston for business," I said.

"I saw after my run this morning. If you need an expert witness for your trial, I'm there for you."

"Thanks, Hammer. I'll be back the day after tomorrow." Fiona called and had Carly pack overnight bags for us, driving them to the airport so we wouldn't have to backtrack. I had one more call to make, and it was more of a courtesy, though I was curious as to how her life was going now. I found the number for Master Emily on my phone, and her assistant immediately patched me through.

"Vicki, what an unexpected pleasure," Emily said.

"Plans change, and I'm on my way to Boston now," I said. I quickly explained my plan.

"Good. I had half a mind to find that man and drain him dry; it would improve both of our worlds." I had to laugh at that. "What else is going on? Your life is so busy now, I suppose."

I gave her the condensed version; school, modeling, and the struggles to get my production company up and running. "I never thought I'd have to become an expert on offshore research vessels at eighteen," I said with a sigh.

"Girl, I've got centuries on you, and I still learn new things every day. Let your friends help you, and put experts where you need them. That's what your money can help with."

"I'm trying. I asked my team to bring options to me tomorrow."

"I've inherited some investments in shipyards and commercial shipping; I'll reach out to my people as well. Send me your wish list, and let me take you out to dinner tomorrow."

"It will have to be early, my flight leaves at seven PM, and I'll have my mother and my bodyguard along."

"That won't be a problem. My people can pick you up from the FBI office when you've finished with them, and take you to the airport after dinner. I've got a lot to talk to you about."

I bet she did. She'd been Master Vampire of Boston for long enough to have some stories. "I accept. Thank you for the time, Master Emily." I hung up the phone and put it in my purse.

"Vicki, are you sure this is a good idea," Fiona asked. "We're only three werewolves, and you're putting yourself with a Master and her Coven."

"Emily is an ally, and I need to maintain that relationship," I said. "One of these days, I'll take you to New Orleans, and you can meet the Supreme Vampire. Cyprian's a friend, too."

We got on the plane, arriving at dinnertime in Minnesota. Mom and Dad were waiting for me outside the airport; it was great to see them again. I was so busy that I missed just being with my family. I got in back with Mom, excited to be home. "What's going on tonight?"

"Pool party and barbecue at the house. Short notice, but everyone wants to see you. Leo went and bought four cases of ribs at Sam's Club as soon as he heard you were coming." A case had fifteen full racks, so that was a good start.

Mom helped me work through some of my worries as we drove to Miesville. "You've taken on too much, too fast," she finally told me. "Susan says you aren't getting enough sleep."

"I'm going after my dreams, and some of this stuff isn't my fault," I said defensively.

"Priorities," Dad said. "What are you doing now that you could throttle back on?"

That was more difficult. "I'm under contract to Bodyglove, and I've already committed to the tour. I've got serious money invested in the production company, with more to come. I can't slack off on my fitness with my modeling, but I suppose I could drop Jiu-Jitsu."

"You've been doing that almost every day," Dad said. "You won't be able to do it for months, so would a few more skipped classes matter?"

Dropping down to two a week would free up some time. "That leaves diving and school."

"I can't believe I'm saying this, but school should not be your priority right now," Mom said. I just looked at her like she'd grown a second head. "Why did you want to get your doctorate, Vicki?"

"I love sharks, and I wanted to do research and become respected in the field," I said.

"You've formed a research foundation without a college degree. You've filmed two documentaries without a college degree. Now, you've formed a production company with plans for a reality show and more documentaries, still without a degree."

"What are you getting at, Mom?"

"Things aren't the same as they were at the Alpha Summit. You're famous, you have a modeling contract, and now you're independently wealthy. You're going to learn about sharks and get respect in the field for what you do as a PRODUCER, not as a doctoral student. You're much more important than that."

It hit me like a Great White nailing a seal from the depths; I'd spent so long thinking I had to get a degree to achieve my dreams, but I was living my dreams NOW. "You think I should quit school?"

"I didn't say that, but you will burn yourself out at a full-time student load. You're more like I was when you were a baby; you have a job, you have responsibilities, and you only have time for a few classes at a time. It will take longer, but you will still get there."

I was taking fifteen credits right now; if I dropped down to eight, that would halve my schoolwork. "Wow."

"Can I blow your mind a little more," Dad asked.

My mind was reeling already. "You guys have been talking about this, haven't you?"

"Of course. It's not just Susan who was worried about you. Amy was as well," Dad said. "You're doing the basics right now, but you should think about majoring in business administration instead of marine biology. Take the courses you like on sharks as electives, but you're a business owner and manager now. You need to learn more about taxes than taxonomy."

partwolf
partwolf
2,308 Followers