She’s So European.

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Not really. I just got fancy looking stuff, not necessarily fancy."

"Well let's get your fancy looking bedspread off so we can mess up your sheets.

***********

Alan

A few months went by and we were progressing nicely. She must not have googled me because she never let on that she knew about the lottery.

I was in love and about to come clean on my wealth, when the unthinkable happened. She showed her true colors.

A customer wanted to order a hand-carved design like "The Mary." I told him that I just wasn't set up to do that kind of order yet. He told me, "Money is no object. That guitar is art."

"I really can't do it," I said.

"Fine, but if you change your mind I'll pay 20 grand for it."

"I'll let you know."

"Why do you keep turning those down?" Mary asked. "I can pick up more slack on the regular orders."

"I don't know. Maybe I'll do it. He offered me 20 grand."

"Holy shit! You have to do it. You're so talented, don't waste that."

I loved how she felt about my skills and felt really good, so I said, "Okay. I'll do it."

"Fantastic! I can't wait to see it."

"Thank you, baby. I love you." I said. That was the first time I'd said it and it just came out.

She got a weird look on her face and paused but answered, "I love you too.

***********

Mary

Shit! He said I love you. Did I love him? I thought I did, but I still wasn't convinced he wasn't Mr. Right Now instead of Mr. Right. I panicked and said the words.

************

Alan

Jackson Bryce was the customer and he came into the shop two weeks later to review some designs. I immediately saw Mary perk up when I walked him through the shop.

"Mary, this is Jackson, he ordered the carved body custom."

"Nice to meet you. You're going to be really happy," she said with a twinkle in her eye. Alarm bells were going off at the way those two looked at each other.

He was wearing an expensive suit and a really expensive watch. She noticed.

I took him to the design table and instead of helping with a new design, he picked out one of the ones I already had drawn. He gave me the check for 20 grand and I told him to give me 6-8 weeks.

As we walked back, he and Mary exchanged glances that were more like lustful stares, and I decided to rush him through and out.

**********

Mary

Damn, Jackson was good looking. My panties were wet from just his smile. He wore a couple thousand dollar suit and he had on a Jaeger LeCoultre watch. The man oozed sex, power, and money.

**********

Alan

That night we had dinner at my house and I was feeling pretty down in the dumps. She noticed and asked me, "What's wrong, Alan?"

"Are we okay, Mary?"

"What do you mean? Of course we are. What brought this on?"

"I saw the way you looked at Jackson today. I felt like you were sizing him up."

"I don't know about that. He's handsome of course and clearly has money, but you're my man."

"Am I? If we were solid, I don't think you would have had that lusty look in your eye. Is it because he has money?"

It was do or die time. Could I trust her? Would she dump me to have a shot at him?

"I'm not sure the look was lust. Yes, he has money if he can pay 20k for a guitar and wears an expensive Jaeger LeCoultre and an expensive suit like that, but I'm happy with you."

"Happy with me or happy with my middle-class life? Do you feel you're missing out on things? I know you had the lifestyle of the rich and famous with Jimmy Wales, do you miss it?"

"There are things I miss. Traveling to beautiful beaches, eating at expensive restaurants, and buying nice things, but I don't have that now and I'm happy."

"So if I asked you to marry me, could you be happy with that for the rest of your life?"

She paused. She actually paused for a while and then said, "Yes, I think so."

"Look, I'm kinda tired. I'm going to hit the sack." I said.

"Okay, I'll join you."

"No, I think I'm just going to go to sleep. You don't have to stay."

"Okay."

**********

Mary

I had no idea how to answer him. He clearly didn't like my lack of decisiveness and brushed me off.

I felt horrible. I did love him. Would I dump him for a shot at Jackson or anyone else? I didn't think so at that point, but could I live as a guitar builder's wife? It was busy, but will that hold up? Was I really that much of a selfish bitch that I would end it with that good man, for a chance at a better one financially?

**********

Alan

The next day I went to work and started Jackson's guitar. I did my woodworking in the back corner of the shop and it was partitioned off from the main area. I wore headphones and was listening to music so I was unaware of Mary standing behind me until I saw her reflection in the window.

I pretended I didn't see her and due to the music I didn't know if she said anything, but she was gone a few moments later.

I kept myself buried in my work until a bag of food was placed on the workbench.

I took off my earbuds and turned around, but she was gone. I ate there by myself wondering what the hell I was going to do.

I went to the front to wash my hands and use the bathroom and didn't see her in the shop, I saw her on the business phone in the office.

I approached and heard her say, "Yes Jackson, I'm in a relationship with Alan.

There was a long pause while he was talking.

"No, it's not serious. I could go to lunch with you."

There was a pause while my relationship was ending.

"I agree. I felt a spark between us too, when you were here. I have to get back to work so Alan can build your masterpiece. Let me give you my cell number"

I walked away sadly. I briefly wondered if I could convince her to stay by coming clean on my wealth, but then I decided against that. I want her love, not her willingness to stay with a rich man.

I left the shop and went home.

**********

Mary

I can't believe I did it. I made a date with another man, just because it looks like he has money. I don't even know if he does or not. I felt like I had made a terrible mistake.

I walked out to the shop and couldn't find Alan. That was odd so I called him and it went straight to voicemail. I texted him that I was wondering where he was and got no response.

**********

I walked up to the shop the next morning and found a note on the door.

Mary,

I'm going out of town for a few days. Please finish the 3 MTG jobs and order the list of paints we need from Max. Make sure we get "Mary Blue" for the Jackson Brice body.

-Alan

I couldn't believe that he was going to use that color again. It was special to him, to us. That was the moment that it hit me. He must have overheard my conversation with Jackson and now he was going to use that color on his guitar. What had I done?

I called him every hour and left several messages begging for a callback. His phone always went straight to voicemail. I must've cried a dozen times that day.

I realized too late, as I was losing him, that I needed him. He gave me what no other man had: his love and devotion.

***********

The next morning I got a text from Alan.

"Did you order the paints and finish the MTG jobs?

I called him and it was ringing then sent to voicemail.

I texted: "Please call me. I have to talk with you."

His response was colder than I imagined.

"Did you order the paints and finish the MTG jobs?"

I responded: "Please call me. I'm not going to see him."

Again he responded with:

"Did you order the paints and finish the MTG jobs?"

I knew then I had thrown away a good love.

I responded: "Yes. Alan, I love you."

He did not respond.

**********

Alan

I was hurting pretty badly and I needed to get away so I drove up to Galena, a couple hours away. where we have a house the family shares as a vacation home. Because it's for the family, it's much larger and more well-appointed than my house.

I pulled in and saw my sister Shelly's SUV and Erin's Mercedes. "So much for peace and quiet," I thought. They each had 2 kids under 5. I loved my nieces and nephews, but they can be a bit much.

"Anybody home?" I called out.

"Uncle Alan!" I heard munchkin voices scream out and then the roar of a herd of children's feet as they ran from the lounge to me at the front door.

I gave hugs and picked up Alan II and walked into the lounge to see my sisters. I was against Erin naming Alan after me. I didn't like the name and wouldn't ever have an Alan Jr., but she insisted. Some nonsense about because I gave her a lot of money. I hated that reason, but it's her kid.

"Hey ladies," I said.

"I'm surprised to see you up here little bro," Shelly said.

"Yeah, I needed to get away for a few days. I won't be disturbing you will I?"

"No way. It's your house, dummy." Erin said.

"Okay. I'm gonna get settled in."

*********

"Okay, spill it," Shelly said.

"I think Mary is about to dump me to go after a rich customer," I said and told them the whole story.

"Sorry, that sucks," Erin said.

"It's your own fault though." Shelly chided.

"She's right. It's your insistence that no one knows you're rich that is causing this. You're always concerned they will treat you differently, well you love this one and if I'm right, she's looking for stability. I don't blame her, in away. Why not show her you're stable enough for her." Erin said.

"That said, I understand your fear about her. She seems pretty upset over it though; maybe consider that you can trust her," she finished.

***********

After a couple of days and no help easing my mind from my sisters, I went back to work. It was Sunday so I didn't expect to see Mary in the office. I wasn't ready for that yet. I wasn't sure how I was going to be able to keep working with her, Monday would be interesting.

I walked into the shop and found a note on the barely started body of Jackson's guitar.

Alan my love,

I made a mistake agreeing to meet Jackson. I am not going to do it. I'm begging you to please not use our color for his guitar. He doesn't deserve it and it hurts to think I've hurt you so badly that you would. I got the symbolism immediately. You felt I wasn't yours anymore. I was a fool, but I don't want to lose you. Please let me know you're okay. I won't come in until you tell me it's okay, in case you need space. I'm worried about you and about us.

-Yours in love, Mary.

The letter didn't matter. The cancellation of the date didn't matter. Her telling him that we weren't serious is what mattered to me.

I sent her a text.

"I will be in the shop all day. We need to talk."

**********

Mary

I was crying all morning and then got his text. I rushed to the shop still in the yoga pants and t-shirt I wore to bed. I didn't even do my hair. I was a mess and didn't care. He was going to talk to me and I had to get there.

I calmed myself and stopped crying before I got out of the car. I had no idea what I was walking into.

I walked into the shop and "Mary's Eyes" was playing on his radio. I wondered if that was a coincidence or if he was making a statement. As I approached the woodworking area, the song ended and started again. Now I understood that it was playing on purpose.

I started crying again as I slowly walked to my fate. I stopped about ten feet away and watched him work for a moment. He turned around and I could see the tears flowing from his eyes. He stopped the music and walked towards me.

"Alan, I'm so sorry. Please forgive me. I don't want him or his money. I need you. I want you. Please, forgive me."

"You ended us the moment you told him that we weren't serious."

"I realized the moment I ended the call that I was making a mistake. Alan, I need you. I love you so much and I'm sorry I betrayed you like that. You give me something that no one's given me. Your love is so precious to me. Please tell me we can fix us. Please tell me I haven't ended us. Alan, are we okay?"

"I'm not sure. You've been pretty non-committal about us. I'm not convinced that you feel the same as I do."

"Alan, when I tell you that I love you, I do mean it. You caught me off guard that night with the Jackson and money accusation."

"Not your finest moment, to be sure."

"I know. When you gave me the brush off that night I went home and cried. I thought long and hard about your question and I've decided to be completely honest with you."

"I'm listening," I said.

"I'm going to have a lot to say and I want you to listen to it all okay?"

I nodded.

"We had very little money growing up. When I got the guitar as a child, it was very cheap and I'm not sure my dad still didn't go without something to get it for me. We were on welfare and I would still be getting section 8 and food stamps today if you hadn't hired me on here after leaving Jimmy.

I stayed with Jimmy, ignoring all of his failings, because I was riding the gravy train. It was only when he disrespected me here, in our town and not on the road, that I couldn't take it anymore.

When you and I started going out, I thought it would be until I found another meal ticket. That's not the case anymore. I've fallen for you. I've realized that I've fallen for you hard. I do love you and I do with all of my heart.

To answer you properly and the way I should've that night, I would be happy to be with you, even if we were on welfare. I could never be happy with a Jimmy or a Jackson; they don't love people. They love collecting possessions. I was stupid and feeling insecure about us when I said that we weren't serious.

You look at me with such reverence sometimes, it's uncomfortable. I know it's because you love me, and I know I've never felt that kind of love before. That night, I was convinced that I lost you, and at that moment in my brass bed alone, I missed you more than I ever missed Jimmy's money.

Please, Alan, tell me we can go forward together. If you want I'll marry you tomorrow in a courtroom. I'm so sorry my mind wasn't right until it was too late. I love you so much, I'll do anything to make it up to you."

"That's quite something, Mary. So all the way up until that night, I was a placeholder until you could find another sugar daddy?" I said.

She broke down crying and didn't answer me.

"I really don't know what to do. I love you, I know that I do. I'm not sure about you." I said.

"You have every reason to doubt me, but I was honest with you. I could've hid my feelings from you and hoped for the best. I threw all of my cards on the table for you."

"You told Jackson that we weren't serious. That crushed me."

"It was stupid and I thought I lost you because you were ignoring me that whole morning. Alan I swear I didn't go. I told him no, even uncertain of our future. You have to believe me."

"I don't know that I can trust you."

"You can, Alan. I'll never hurt you again if you give me a chance. I swear, I'll do anything to prove it."

"Will you sign a prenup?"

"A prenup? I don't want your business, Alan."

"Okay, but I'd like to protect my assets."

"Okay, I'll sign it without question. Wait! Are you asking me to marry you?"

"I'm not sure we're there yet, but we're getting there. I've got trust issues obviously."

***********

I gave her another shot. I may have been making a mistake, but it wouldn't be the first time.

2 months later I finished Jackson's guitar and he came into the shop to pick it up. I originally was not going to let him do that, but I wanted to see how his interaction with Mary went.

I told Mary the guitar was done and I had to run to the store. Jackson was going to be there to pick it up while I was out. I had a security system that included cameras with audio, inside the shop, and I was able to watch the feed from an app on my phone. This was her final test.

Things had been going really well after our blow up. If asked, I'd say I trusted her, but setting her up with a test like that proved otherwise. Maybe I would never fully trust her?

I watched the feed from a coffee shop and had my headphones in for the sound.

**********

Mary

The doorbell rang and it turns out that Jackson showed up to pick up his guitar. I hadn't seen him since that first day, but he kept trying to get me to go out with him. I always declined, I was not going to risk losing Alan.

That particular day I was wearing a sundress that came down to just above my knees. When I let Jackson in the shop he gave me a wolf whistle and looked me up and down.

"Your guitar is in the shop, I'll get it for you," I said as I turned around. Instead of waiting in the lobby area he followed me.

"Is Alan in?" He asked.

"No, he's out on a run."

"Good, so listen, when are we going to go out? I'd really like to show you a world of experiences that you just can't have with the guitar maker."

"I'm perfectly happy with the guitar maker, as you call him. He gives me something you never could, his love."

He walked up to me and put his hand under my skirt. I stepped back and smacked him. "What the hell do you think you're doing, asshole?"

"Taking what I want."

I laughed, put my hands on his shoulders and kneed him in the balls. He went down like a sack of potatoes.

Standing over him I said, "You're lucky I love Alan so much that I wouldn't waste his talent by breaking your guitar over your piece of shit head. Take the guitar and get the fuck out before I get mad."

He stood up, closed the guitar case, and walked out without saying a word.

**********

Alan

Walking back into the shop I asked Mary if Jackson came by.

"Yep. He was very happy with the finished product." She said.

I looked at her with my head cocked and said, "Oh yeah?"

"Yep. I don't think we'll be hearing from him again."

"Why's that?"

"He asked me out and I told him no and to leave me alone."

"That's it? Are you sure."

She frowned and said, "No, I'm sorry. I wasn't going to tell you, but I promised you I would earn your trust. Hiding this won't help that."

"And?" I asked.

"He touched me and I smacked him."

I smiled and she said. "And I kneed him in the balls. I'm sorry I wasn't completely honest at first."

I laughed and said I've not been completely honest with you either though."

"What do you mean?"

"I haven't really lied about anything big, but I haven't told you some things."

"Like what?"

"Let me make a call."

I walked out and dialed my father.

"Hey Dad, it's time to have the talk with Mary."

"Oh boy, that serious huh?" Dad said.

"Yes sir. Are you free?"

"Yeah, come on by."

"Okay, could you have Mom bring the ring?"

"Wow, that serious. Your mother is going to flip out."

"I hope so, Dad. See you soon."

I walked back to the office and said, "Let's go for a drive."

***********

Mary

I had no idea what was going on. I told him about Jackson and he told me that he's been hiding something from me. Did he have a secret kid or something? I was freaking out.

**********

Alan

I finally felt like I could trust her. I decided to propose and give her my grandma's ring.

We pulled into my parent's driveway and I braced myself for the moment of truth. I knew that no matter what, I wouldn't lose her by telling her I was rich. She may be pissed that I hid it, but she wasn't going anywhere; I figured I would just have to deal with some anger.

Dad welcomed us in and led us to his office. Mom and Dad already met Mary and approved of her so I wasn't worried about that at all.

We sat down around Dad's desk and mom came into the room and joined us with a huge smile on her face.

We exchange pleasantries and made a bit of small talk before I said, "We've kept Mary in suspense long enough. Mom do you have the ring?"

Mary gasped and I saw a tear run down her cheek.

I took it and got down on a knee and said, "Mary, you're about to go down the rabbit hole and I want to ask you this first. It's not that I think you'll say no afterward, but for my trust level it matters to me. I love you with all of my heart, will you marry me?"