She Wolf Ch. 01

Story Info
The wolf finds she is not alone with her secret.
11.3k words
4.76
19.3k
45

Part 1 of the 6 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 02/02/2019
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The she wolf tries to hide her secret identity, but discovers she is not the only one keeping a secret. While she loves the forest at night, something is happening out there that fills her with dread, and the authorities seem helpless to stop it.

The she wolf padded softly through the leaf litter until she reached the rock overhang that jutted out overlooking the valley below. With an easy leap she reached it and sat, surveying the scene. A few scattered lights below, a faint whiff of smoke. The full moon lit up the scene almost like daylight except for the lack of color. Everything looked black, white and shades of gray. Exhilarated, she threw her head back and howled. Humans thought the night was scary, but she knew it was beautiful – every shadow of it.

A sound brought her out of her reverie. An answering howl – something she had never experienced before. The howl was faint but unmistakable. The she wolf considered whether to move, but there was no reason to believe another wolf would approach. At least until the howl was repeated, definitely closer.

Softly and silently she jumped down pausing to consider where to go next. The slightest sound of running might draw attention, so she looked for someplace she could hide in the shadows and sense the approach of another animal – wolf or not. She didn't want to draw attention to her den. Next to a small clearing she knew so well she could blend with the shadows at the edge of the clearing and see, hear or smell any animal approaching.

The she wolf laid down, all senses on alert. She had escaped hunters before and had confidence in her abilities to evade another animal. A third howl was definitely closer.

A slight shift of the wind was disconcerting, and she swiveled her head to sweep with her eyes and ears the direction from which she could no longer pick up a scent.

At a slight sound she stood, hackles raised. Another wolf was nearby even though she could neither see nor smell it. Across the clearing the moon illuminated the slight movement of a shadow before two golden eyes stared across the clearing at her. On high alert she watched the shadow and eyes disappear. She instinctively knew how the other wolf was likely to move circling the clearing, taking advantage of the wind direction and turned her head, following the supposed path the intruder would take.

It was startling, even though she half expected it, to see the golden eyes again – eyes fixed on her. With no further need for stealth, the new wolf slowly came toward her but didn't threaten. Her lips curled to reveal her sharp teeth, and the other wolf stopped.

The two stared at each other until the other wolf moved toward her once again. He was plainly visible now. Large, muscular. She uttered a low growl of warning and he again momentarily stopped, watching her watch him.

If he meant her harm it would be a short fight, but one to which she would give her all. He circled around her and she turned to continue facing him, growling defiance. If he wasn't going to attack there was only one other thing he could want. Her. She trembled with a hint of fear and anticipation, and continued to growl defiance.

The golden eyes closed momentarily as he leapt toward her. She snarled and reared up to give battle, but was easily knocked back. She rolled over but he was on her before she recovered. Strong forepaws grasped her and she felt him enter her. The more she struggled the harder he humped until he emptied into her.

With the act finished he separated, shook himself, a full body shake, and sat panting next to her as she laid on the ground in shock. His muzzle nudged her until she stood and shook herself. When she faced him the golden eyes bored into hers.

By damn, he may have mated with her but she'd be damned if she'd be his mate. Her defiant look seemed to amuse him, as much as a wolf can be amused. Rising to his feet he shook himself again and trotted off across the clearing without a backward glance, once again melting into the shadows of the night.

Trembling, she headed towards her den, taking a roundabout route, constantly checking her surroundings to be sure he wasn't following. At the bush that hid the entrance to her den she paused once more to survey the surrounding forest with eyes and nose before darting behind the bush and into the den. She sniffed the air and ground to make sure no human or animal had been there. Only when she was satisfied did the wolf curl up beside a stack of human clothing and rest.

*****

Janet Ryder parked her Jeep Cherokee, walked into the Hen's Nest and took a table. Ellie walked over with a smile. "The usual, love?"

Janet laughed "Am I that predictable?"

"Nine times out of ten."

"Yeah, I guess I am. But add a short stack of the blueberry pancakes I saw someone eating when I came in."

"Chef's special this morning. He got a bucketful of fresh berries. "

"And leave a pot of coffee on the table."

"Of course." Ellie poured a cup and left the carafe on the table.

Janet sipped coffee until Ellie brought plates of food balanced on her arm. "You gonna eat this all by yourself?"

"I'm famished. I'll give it my best shot."

"Must have been up late last night."

"Night is when I get my best ideas."

Ellie glanced over to the wall where a painting of the forest at night was displayed. "A lot of artists come through here, but I've never met anyone like you."

"Why be like everyone else?"

Ellie laughed her hearty laugh as she turned away to wait on another table. "Why, indeed?"

Janet used a fork to cut the fried eggs and then folded a triangle of buttered toast to sop up the runny yolk. After polishing off the eggs, bacon and potatoes she tackled the pancakes, smothering them with the warm maple syrup Ellie brought to the table with her order.

Satisfied at last, Janet left a generous tip on the table and crossed to the counter to pay. Betty pulled her glasses down her nose to study the ticket. "Hungry this morning, Janet?"

"Starved. Tell Tom the pancakes were delicious."

Betty laughed "Getting lots of compliments this morning. Fresh blueberries are the key."

Janet collected her change. "I'll see you tomorrow."

"Oh, by the way. That painting has drawn some interest. Big fella was in here yesterday, admiring it. Said he might want to purchase it."

"I think this place is better than a gallery for me. I've sold quite a few over the last couple of years."

"We'll keep sellin' 'em as long as you keep bringin' 'em. Some folks hear about 'em and come in just to look at the paintings and then stay for a bite to eat."

Janet laughed "Sounds like a win-win situation."

"That's the way I see it."

Janet started the Jeep and made a quick stop to replenish some supplies for the cabin before heading down the highway and jolting up the rutted track to the cabin.

After putting the food away she stepped to her easel and wrinkled her nose studying what she already had on the canvas. Why had she painted that clearing? Did she have a premonition the wolf would appear at that exact spot? A handsome animal. On a whim she determined to add the wolf to the picture.

Janet lost track of the time and when she had finished the wolf to her satisfaction realized it was already getting dark. She wondered if she would see the wolf if she went out there, but realized it probably wouldn't appear with human scent in the air.

Glad to get a good night's sleep, Janet slept later than usual. By the time she hit the Hen's Nest the breakfast crowd was already thinning.

Ellie brought her usual order to the table and motioned with her head. "That's him. The one that wanted to buy your painting. Too bad for him someone beat him to it yesterday afternoon. Want me to bring him over and introduce you?"

Janet cast a glance over at a tall, muscular man. His hair looked like he had been wearing a hat and his skin was tanned – an outdoors type. Leaning against the counter he made easy conversation with Betty at the register.

"Sure. I actually have another one in the jeep. Something a little different. Maybe he'll like that one."

The man looked surprised as Ellie talked to him. He glanced over to Janet's table and nodded, holding up a hand to indicate he'd take care of his own introductions, and sauntered over.

"I understand you painted that picture I liked. You've had others here, but that one spoke to me. Guess I was too late on the draw and someone beat me to it. I'm Charles Milosic."

He stuck out his hand and Janet smile as she took it. "Janet Ryder."

He gestured toward the empty bench across the booth from Janet and she nodded. "Please, sit down."

After settling his large frame onto the bench and signaled Ellie for coffee.

"I really liked that picture. You paint mostly night scenes. Got any more?"

"As a matter of fact I have a new one out in the jeep. I just finished it yesterday."

"What makes you paint the night?"

"It's different. I...spend a lot of time out at night."

"Aren't you afraid of wild animals prowling about in the dark?"

She laughed. "Hardly. I can take care of myself."

"Against wildcats? Wolves?"

"Never had a problem. Want to see the new painting? I'm finished here."

He gulped down the rest of his coffee and tossed a tip on the table. They paid and went out to the parking lot. A Land Rover sat beside her dusty jeep.

As soon as she took the cover off the painting he gasped. "I know this place."

"It's one of my favorites."

He held the paining and studied it. "That's a wolf!"

"Handsomest animal I've ever seen. I had to put him in the scene."

He looked at her incredulously. "You've seen this wolf? I think I know this wolf."

"I've seen him. I couldn't get him out of my mind and it was like...like I HAD to put him there. I think it pulls the elements of the picture together. How can you be sure you know this particular wolf?"

"I'm a wildlife biologist. Specialty is predators. I've spent the past several summers tramping around these hills and woods. I've seen a mountain lion prowling around here lately. I know the wolf. I know where and how to look."

"I take it you're not afraid of them, either."

He crossed his arms and looked at her. "I don't think I've ever met a woman like you – one who goes out and sees what I see. Tell me something. Do you go out alone?"

"Mostly. Don't get any ideas, bub. I know my weapons and how to handle them. I'm a crack shot with a rifle or a pistol and can wield a mean knife."

He put up his hands "No, no no. I didn't mean it like that. When I'm in the field at night I'm usually armed, too. Although I know and understand the animals, you never know when one will be...off. Hungry or pissed off at the world or mad with lust or jealousy. You intrude on some big male's territory and he might not care if you're not the same species as him. Females with cubs are very protective. I've come across unusually aggressive bears and sometimes find it better to back away and give up on whatever data I was collecting."

He held the painting up and studied it again. "I like it better than the one that was on the wall in there yesterday. How much?"

"Same as the others. Fifteen hundred."

"Sold. Will you take a check? You can hold the painting until the check clears the bank."

"For some reason I trust you."

"Got any more you're working on?"

"I've got ideas for a few others but haven't started them yet. It takes awhile for the image I want to form in my head. I go out and spend several nights in the forest, coming back with new ideas. I have enough to last me for awhile, but I'll probably go out again later in the month. You know, most painters go in search of the perfect sunlight. Monet went to the same beach day after day because the light was different each day. I go for moonlight. Moon's waning now, so I'll wait until it gets nearly full again before I prowl the woods at night again."

"I like the moonlit night, too."

"Well, maybe we'll come across each other one night."

********

The she wolf poked her head out of the den and sniffed the air. With no hint of danger about she padded out into the underbrush. Tonight she was cautious, and a bit uneasy that the big male might still be around.

Sitting on her favorite rock ledge she gazed out over the valley once again. The moon was lower in the sky than last time she was here. She studied it, fascinated. The urge to howl at it overcame her. She threw her head back and just as she howled she heard another. Two howls at the same time. This time the other came from close by.

The she wolf held her ground, staking her claim to the ledge, and waited. She'd be ready for him this time. They'd meet on her turf. Her eyes scanned around in the darkness and her nose sniffed.

Her ears pricked up at a sound above her. The slope above her ledge was steep and there was the unmistakable rustle of pebbles, and a pebble fell in front of her. She backed against the face of the rock behind her ledge. There was definite wolf scent, but something else as well – cat maybe. It smelled like the male wolf from last time but the other was new to her, and there was something sinister about it. With her back against the rock, any animal leaping down from above would have to land on the outer ledge. No matter how big the other wolf was she was in good defensive position. She would be in control.

A cascade of pebbles and small rocks was accompanied by snarling. One was definitely wolf. The other screeched like a large cat. The sounds moved to her side and with a thud two snarling animals fell to the ground beside and below her ledge. The big male wolf tangled with a very big cat. The cat tried to bite the neck of the wolf and swiped a great paw with razor claws. The wolf avoided the bite and most of the swipe, although the claws grazed his shoulder.

She watched, amazed, as the wolf clamped onto the neck of the cat and flung it through the air. The cat screeched as it hit the steep slope below the ledge. Paws scrambled at the loose earth as the cat disappeared down into the tangle of underbrush and rocks below. In the moonlight she caught a glimpse of it streaking away.

She looked down at the big male, panting and bleeding, and jumped down, landing almost silently on the ground beside him. She understood what had happened. The cat had been stalking her and the big wolf had dispatched the cat. What was of most interest to her was that the clawed flesh of the wolf seemed to heal before her eyes.

The big male watched her as she walked around him, studying. Hers was not typical wolf behavior, either, and he observed her as she studied him. She stopped in front of him and their eyes met. His gold eyes stared into hers, like he was trying to tell her something. There was certainly something different about this big wolf. She approached once again and sniffed at where the wounds had been. It was as if he had been completely unmarked.

What was he doing here? Why had he protected her? Wolves mated for life. Did he consider her his mate? She was grateful for him dispatching the cat, but he didn't understand. She couldn't be his mate, not ever. She had to make him understand.

Her lips curled and she emitted a low growl. The big wolf cocked his head and cautiously approached close enough to sniff her. His nose explored her muzzle and her coat, but explored around and under her tail as well. Satisfied, he gave her one last glance and bounded away.

For some reason she didn't want to resume her perch. The view of the valley wasn't so important now. As she meandered through the woods back to her den she thought about the sight of the wolf and cat fighting. As was her custom she paused near the den to survey her surroundings. Her den was secret and she wanted to keep it that way. There was a scent of wolf in the woods, but not by the den. The male wolf had passed it by without stopping.

Satisfied, she ducked behind the shrub blocking the entrance from view and darted in. A scan of the interior told her the den had not been disturbed since she left it earlier, and she curled up next to the human clothes and went to sleep.

********

When Janet entered The Hen's Nest she noted Charles sitting on a stool at the counter. He turned and waved as she entered.

Ellie brought a cup of coffee and a pot to sit on the table. "The usual, love?"

"Not today, Ellie. Tell me, how's the hash?"

"None better in this part of the state."

"I'll have three eggs today, and a large serving of hash."

"Pancakes? Waffles? Hash browns?"

Janet shook her head. "Just eggs and meat today, thanks. And coffee."

"I'll keep ya filled, love."

While Janet waited she sat back in the booth and noted Charles glancing her way. There was no time for visiting. She had to get an idea down on paper. Opening her small backpack, she pulled out a sketch pad and began sketching furiously, only pausing for a moment when her food arrived. Between mouthfuls she sketched, occasionally pursing her lips and making small erasures until she had it right.

When Janet had enough that she could work with for a painting she looked up and noted the restaurant nearly empty. She and Charles were the only remaining customers. Charles paid his bill and sauntered over.

"So, the artist doesn't even take time to eat."

She looked down at her plate. "I ate. Well, most of it. I'll finish now that I'm done with my sketch."

"New painting? Another night scene?"

"Not the one I intended, but it's what I needed to do."

"Can I see?"

"Well, maybe not. It's too preliminary."

"Just a peek? If it's as good as the last one I may be interested in buying it on spec, to keep from losing another good one."

"Okay, but it probably won't make any sense to you. It's too fantastic, a different path for me. I prefer to be realistic, but this just had to be put on paper."

Janet pulled the sketch pad out of the backpack and flipped to the page she had worked on, turning the book so he could see.

He lifted the book and studied the page. "What made you draw this?"

"It's just something that happened in a dream."

"It was no dream." He looked into her eyes, and she was suddenly uncomfortable, although his were gorgeous – dark brown with a hint of gold in the light. "It was no dream," he repeated. "You were there."

She laughed. "Don't be ridiculous."

He remained serious, looking into her blue eyes. "You were there. I know, because I was, too."

A knot formed in Janet's gut. "I don't understand."

He nodded. "Yes, I think you do, even if you won't admit it. We were both there. I wasn't sure at first, but I know those eyes of yours. They are very unusual – for a wolf"

Janet looked down at the table and clasped her hands together to keep them from shaking.

Charles leaned across the table to whisper "I know what you are."

"Sure, I'm an artist."

"I know what you were last night."

Her eyes, angry, lifted to his. "You have no idea."

"I'm a wildlife biologist. I know. I know that wolf, and I know that cat, and I know you." He relaxed back in the booth. "I think we need to talk. I know about you, and I think it's time you knew something about me. I certainly mean you no harm. I'd die before I let any harm come to you."

Janet felt sick. How could he know? Unless...

"Okay. Let's go to my place."

"That's very trusting. You trust me because you know that I know about you, and I think deep down you suspect something about me." He laughed "Or maybe you want to be near your weapons."

"I've got my rifle and a shotgun in the car."

"Fine. You have nothing to fear from me. I'd like to see your studio and what you're working on, anyway."

Janet looked repeatedly in the rearview mirror as she jolted up the track to the cabin, watching the Land Rover follow.

Inside the cabin he looked around at various unfinished and preliminary works. "Wow! There's so much here that I like. How could I have been coming here all these years and never seen you or took much notice of your work."