Shifting Gears Ch. 20-22

Story Info
Parents visit & argue. Flying lessons for sex. New couple.
9.9k words
4.75
5.9k
4

Part 11 of the 16 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 07/03/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Chapter 20 -- Someone to Show to Mom

Lots of things had shocked me over the past year or so. I'd made up my mind to ask Sheri to be my mentor and role model, and then we'd gone on from there. I'd learned about and done all sorts of 'earthy' things -- many of them blatantly sexual.

What shocked me now was the email from my mother. 'Brie. Your father and I haven't seen you since you briefly visited at Christmas time. We've decided to come down to see you in Florida next week. You mentioned that you have some young men you like, and we'd like to meet them, too. We're flying in on Wednesday, arriving at one-ten p.m. through Atlanta. If you have to work don't worry, we'll find things to do. Love. Mom."

Sheri read the email and said, "No big deal. Owen or that guy Deke will cooperate and play the role of the loyal boyfriend. You go back to playing the role of the studious virgin, and all goes well."

"What about you?" I teased.

"I can be your slutty girlfriend that you are totally incensed about. It might be best to keep me out of the picture."

"Nonsense. You're my BFF -- you and Maryann. You are who you are. Hopefully, my parents won't care, but you'll be joining us for dinner at least one night, I'm sure. This is a big trip out of rural America for them, and they want to see all that they can, particularly about how I live and who my friends are."

Sheri sighed. "All right, I guess. I'll try to clean up my act a little for a couple of days. I'm not sure I even own a knee-length skirt."

I worked extra hours over the weekend and then Monday and Tuesday evenings, so I could take Wednesday afternoon and part of Thursday and Friday off to spend with my parents.

I had a traditional greeting with them at the local airport, and then drove them to the motel they'd arranged for themselves. They checked in and we left their luggage after they 'freshened up'.

I brought them to my little apartment, and they could then see why I didn't invite them to stay with me. Three people moving in that space just about used up all the square footage that the furniture didn't. They were pleased that they got to see where I lived, and verified that it was clean. Of course, I'd done a special cleaning and organizing effort prior to their arrival.

My mom briefly thumbed through my closet and I was sure she'd say something about my wardrobe, but she was mute. I had an especially short skirt set aside for dry cleaning that she saw; I'd spilled some dip on it at Jake's party the previous Saturday night. My CFM shoes were also carefully lined up on the floor of my closet, as well, along with my other shoes.

I drove them by where I'd previously worked, but we didn't go inside. I explained about Cubicle-ville to them, and they laughed. They'd seen enough television and magazine pictures to know what I was talking about.

I'd arranged with Owen to play the role of my dutiful boyfriend. He met us at Duval's Restaurant downtown at five-thirty. My parents always ate early, so Owen and I time shifted to accommodate them. My parents were impressed by the small city and the many restaurants. I'd eaten at every one of them at one time or another.

I introduced Owen to Henry and Martha. He was solicitous of their trip and remarks about the town. We had a brief discussion about our work days, just like a normal couple might have. Mom and Dad watched us interact and smiled benignly at the happy façade we projected.

Over dinner we both talked about our consulting work. Owen did an excellent description of network security issues without getting too technical, and then talked about what he did when he went into a client site.

I told about business and market strategy development, and how I translated that into an online presence and created a sophisticated website for clients that drew viewers in deeper and deeper. We used Mike's company in Denver as an example for both of us.

The evening went well and everyone seemed happy. Owen bid me goodnight as we left the restaurant. We did no kissing or hugging in front of the 'rents. I dropped them at the motel and before I left, we planned a few things for the next day, starting with breakfast and then a walk along the beach.

My parents and I met Sheri and Maryann for cocktails at the Epoch lounge the next afternoon after spending the day at the beach and then at one of the larger museums in the area. I had to show off the intellectual side of my life. I was still even classified as a 'member' at the museum, a point that pleased my parents.

I explained to my parents that I used to come to the Epoch after work with colleagues occasionally, but hadn't been there for a long time since I became an independent freelancer in my work.

The Epoch turned out to be a bad idea. The five of us got a small table, and ordered drinks. I ordered an Appletini. My mother's eyebrows rose up to her hairline that I'd ordered such a 'sophisticated' drink, but she ordered one, too. My dad got a beer.

I introduced Sheri and Maryann a little more thoroughly, talking about how we'd used to work together in the marketing group. About then Kevin and Marsha came by the table to say hello. He gave me a hug and kiss, that I tried to brush off as I introduced my parents. The couple went off after that, but only after I promised to call both of them to set up some social time.

Blake and Sarah came in a few minutes later, and there was another serious affectionate greeting of their long-lost friend -- me. I also had to promise to call both of them.

Luke came in looking for his buddies, but lit up like the sun when he saw me, Sheri, and Maryann. He kissed all of us, and even hugged my mother and kissed her on the cheek, much to her chagrin. I think she actually liked the attention.

Others from my old job came by the table of just waved from a distance. Increasingly, it became obvious that I knew A LOT of people and had some good friends -- a large circle of them.

Jake came in and joined us with a similar greeting. He told how he'd just flown back into town in his private jet from Las Vegas where he'd met with some of the new companies that had started cryptocurrencies. His remarks led to a long discussion with my parents about his high-risk investing strategies and how that had paid off for him. He mentioned that he'd be in the newspaper the next day, because he'd done another short sale on three of the large currencies and made a shitload of money.

Jake loved his new airplane toy, and told my parents all about it and all the bells and whistles it had. Moreover, Jake said he'd started taking flying lessons with the goal to be a pilot in his own jet in three years. The more Jake talked, the more questions my parents asked. It quickly became apparent that he had become VERY wealthy.

Near the entrance to Epoch, I saw Susan hanging there. She waved but didn't come over. She was obviously in bodyguard mode.

My mother asked if I knew her. I told her, "Yes, she's one of Jake's bodyguards." I thought my mother would lose her eye teeth in shock. She did a triple-take on Susan before calming down, but then I told her that Susan was armed and deadly with just her hands.

Eventually, we ordered enough bar food to substitute for dinner, and we all kept talking.

Owen showed up and joined us. This time I allowed an affectionate kiss and some slight hugging. My mother was very observant about where I dispensed my affections and how frequently.

Sheri and I had a brief discussion about what had been happening in my old company in the marketing department. There'd been another shake-up in management, and the distribution of projects among the staff. Sheri wasn't happy.

On a whim, I said to her, "Why don't you quit and come to work for me? Maryann, too?" I currently had enough work for more than two of me, so I felt if I put some more effort into marketing my services, I could get even more business.

We kicked that idea around. Owen joined in because Maryann had some technical skills that he thought he could use in his part of the business. My dad's head tried to keep up with the fast-paced conversation and he started to resemble a fan at a tennis match.

Jake encouraged Owen and me, and said he'd even invest in our new business, if we let him. I suggested that Sheri and Maryann think about the step overnight. I certainly told them not to burn any bridges. I explained my vision that we could sell ourselves back to my old company and make more money.

Around nine-thirty, our group started to break apart. I took my parents back to the motel and left them, promising another thrilling day tomorrow. They were appreciative of the day and especially the evening time with my friends.

Friday morning, I took mom and dad to a breakfast place that specialized in omelets. After we'd ordered, my mother put both of her hands on the table. This was her signal that I was about to get 'official' high-level guidance about something from Mother Superior. I hadn't seen that signal for some time -- maybe even when I was last in high school.

Mom said in a curt tone, "You seem to have A LOT of friends."

I nodded. "I do. I set out to be more gregarious and outgoing. Accumulating many good friends came as a result of my efforts."

"Several of those young men are in love with you; Owen, especially."

"And I love them. I've known Sheri and Maryann the longest since we worked together at Knightsbridge, but the others knew them, and my circle expanded rapidly for a while."

"Who are you going to choose?"

"Choose for what?" My mom's question genuinely puzzled me.

"A husband."

"Errr, I'm not in the market for a husband." I didn't like the turn this discussion had suddenly taken. I detected somebody -- my mother -- trying to manage my life again.

Mom said, "Sure, you are. That Maryann is engaged to Jake and she's only a year or two older than you."

"I repeat. I am NOT looking for a husband. I am playing the field. We often have group dates. They're fun and we even go interesting places." I gave her the PG-rated versions of the trips on Jake's boat and plane.

I added, "Mom, I was a recluse in high school and college, and now I've finally broken out of my shell. Sheri helped me more than anybody else, and she's become my best friend."

"She's kind of... tarty." She paused and added, "And now that I mention it, I saw your clothes at your apartment, and those skirts are very short -- too short even. I hope you don't wear those for business."

I laughed, "I do wear them. I think my clients like them, and I think I get more business that way. Several have commented that they like my more 'modern' look, compared to what I wore a year-or-more ago. I donated a lot of those clothes to the needy."

"So, you look like Sheri and that Maryann?"

"Usually."

"Owen must think you're a woman of the streets." I noted that my father started to carefully study the posters on the wall in the restaurant. He was not going to get drawn into this conversation. I was becoming a little pissed, especially at her last comment.

"MOM! I live in a modern city. This is today, not fifty years ago! Did you look around the Epoch last night and see what the other women were wearing. I do not dress any differently than they do -- whether they're my friends or just other people at that club. Further, the women came there from their jobs. We are normal, and we dress in a contemporary fashion."

"I did note the styles... and you ordered those Appletinis. That was good -- too good. If you drink many of those, the men will take advantage of you."

"My friends -- male or female -- have never done anything with me that I didn't invite. We care about each other. Sometimes, Maryann and Sheri will come over before we go on a triple date, and they critique my outfit for the night. I like the way that I now think, the things I do, the relationships I have, the way I work, how I react to situations, AND how I dress. I am certain that I am getting good advice and counsel for me to achieve my life goals." The tone of my voice showed that I was pissed.

"Goals?" My mother looked surprised.

"Being happy is at the top of MY list, but also fitting in to MY social circle, having social friends, attracting more of them, and so on. I live a full life now. I don't need uninvited commentary!"

"Are you having sex?" My mother asked out of the clear blue.

That question just pushed me over the edge. I had been on the verge of being really pissed and that did it. I stopped being on my best behavior.

"THAT IS NONE OF YOUR FUCKING BUSINESS!" My loud voice, practically at a scream, carried in the restaurant. I had wanted to embarrass my mother, and did. An eerie silence descended on the place all the way from our table, past all the other tables full of customers, the wait stations, and into the restaurant's kitchen. The silence was palpable.

I nodded my head sharply, at my mom and added, "This discussion is OVER. I am living MY LIFE, not the one you laid out for me. I am a different person than the one that moved away from home when I became an adult, and I'm glad of it. I am the happiest I have ever been and YOU are not privileged to screw any of that up by retaking control of my life."

I turned to my father who was also open mouthed. I spoke sharply to him, "Settle up, we're leaving. I'll be in the car. Please get a box for my breakfast." I had barely touched my omelet and I was still hungry. Pissed royally, but hungry.

I gathered up my things on the table and my jacket, took my purse, and then stomped out of restaurant to my car. My mother was apparently speechless. Just before I walked away, she said, "I apologize. I went too far."

My frosty attitude resulted in driving back to my apartment with them in silence. I refused to say a word, and even when one of them would start to speak, I'd hold my hand up for silence. They could both tell I was beyond angry.

I didn't park. Instead, I threw the car into Park, got out of the car, and told them to take my car for the day and not come back until around five o'clock. I tersely recommended a couple of day trips to them, and told them I had to work. I believe I slammed the car door as I left them open-mouthed in the parking lot. I worried that I'd broken the car window I'd slammed the door so hard. I stomped towards my apartment carrying the container with my breakfast.

I steamed for about an hour and then put on my bikini and went for a swim in the pool at my apartment complex. I came back and ate my cold omelet, and tried to see myself as they had, after a long period of time.

I had to admit that I meted out information about my life and life style in meager amounts in our phone calls. Details were sparse, such as I bought a new dress, without mentioning how short it was or the sexual effect I hoped it had on others; or I went on bicycle ride, leaving out that I was with Luke and that we fucked like bunnies after we got back to my place. They had come to know little about my life. I don't think I'd ever mentioned any of my dates or even that I dated. I emphasized my work to them, and not my social life. I guess I knew they'd disapprove of my social life and attendant features.

I finally admitted that I carried some of the burden for their overt curiosity about my life. Their interest is probably what prompted them to make this trip. They'd just never seen 'city girl' before.

I did manage to do a little work on Connie's jewelry business. I got far enough along to post a draft website for her, and then emailed her a link so she could take a look at it.

Exactly at five o'clock, there was a knock on my door. I answered it and my father stood there looking quite chagrined. He was carrying a bouquet of flowers that I could tell came from the local supermarket. He said, "This is a peace offering from your mother and me. She is deeply sorry for encroaching on your life the way she did. She has excuses that deal with motherhood and wanting to be closer to you. I need to add that she is very lonely since you left and full of interest in your life. Every phone call is very important to her. I stand with her, but we do apologize."

I looked out the door. "Where is she?"

"Still in the car... crying. She did that on and off all day."

I got tears in my eyes and rapidly went down the stairs to the parking lot and my car. I got my mother from the car and hugged her. I found myself apologizing for my reaction, and she was blubbering her apology again. We hugged and cried on each other's shoulders.

"Come in and let's talk. I guess I have a lot to tell you."

Back in my living room, I got them seated and then had my father open a bottle of chilled white wine and serve us. My mom's eyes were red. She drank her first glass of wine in record time, and he refilled it.

We sat in silence for a couple of minutes looking at each other. Perhaps we were deciding who should start. I opted to go first.

"Growing up I was not at all social. I also never rebelled. I was a straight-A student, and the few activities I did were also intellectual. There was a large part of my life that I never cultivated. For some reason, I was timid and afraid of that side of life. You need to know, that I have dramatically changed my life emphasis.

"I apologize to you for not sharing this new side of my life, but I didn't want your disapproval or suggestions for how I should live my life. I guess that attitude is somewhat immature, but I still feel that way.

"I enlisted Sheri and Maryann as my coaches in moving into a new life. I picked them over many other people. I liked everything about them and wanted to emulate them. Their lifestyle was the one I picked as leading to my happiness. I turned out to be right -- I'm very happy.

"As a consequence, and what I haven't told you, is that I have developed a very active social life. There are a dozen men that I date and have an intimate relationship with. I am NOT ready to marry any of them, although any one of them would be a great guy to live with.

"Sometimes I stay overnight with them or they stay here. We do lots of fun things together -- boat trips, plane rides, bicycling, picnics, beach walks, hikes in the mountains in Colorado, computer games, romantic dinners, and more. Many of those things are done with a large group of other men and women about my age or older. We are a highly social group and love to party and get-together.

I re-did my wardrobe to be more chic and sexier. I routinely use make-up to enhance my appearance. I go to night clubs and sometimes don't get home until two or three a.m. I can dance all night like crazy sometimes. I like fancy mixed drinks when I'm out socializing -- those appletinis, martinis, cosmos, and manhattans you seemed to disapprove of. I'm learning all about wines.

One of my boyfriends, Jake, is urging me to take flying lessons. I think that I'll do that because I can see what it will do for my self-confidence and willingness to take risks and be more innovative in my life. Further, one of my other male friends is an ex-Air Force flight instructor. Besides being cute to a fault, he told me he'd teach me to be a safe pilot."

Mom took over and made a speech about failing to treat me as an independent adult. She got teary again, and I sensed a severe case of ENS -- empty nest syndrome.

Eventually, we shared a group hug, and things got back to a new normal with them. I told them I'd share more about my new life with them, and they said they'd try not to pass judgments on my life and to be more sparing about giving advice.

I told them I'd click my heels together and wish I was back in Kansas when the time was right.

Chapter 21 -- N6128G

"Good afternoon tower, November-six-one-two-eight-golf at the outer marker inbound landing full stop."