Shifting Perspectives

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"His jaw was shattered! How is that detesting violence? You've obviously taught yourself to fight! To be violent!" Dr. Hansey blustered.

Kyle nodded. "I didn't get training on how to fight. I taught myself how to decisively stop a fight. Yesterday, I just did what needed to be done. I took no joy from it, but I feel no guilt or remorse either. I acted, and Skye is safe. Does that make me a good person or a bad person? That's a question for the philosophers. My friend is safe."

Kyle nodded humbly to Reginald and Francis. "I sincerely apologize for the theatrics of slapping the table. A point needed to be made."

Reginald was doing his best to hide his smile, but Kyle could see it in his eyes. "Quite so. Apology accepted." Francis made no effort to hide her own smile.

The waiters took the opportunity to begin serving the meal, and the conversation turned to small talk. Kyle looked at Helen, who was looking a little glassy-eyed. "Are you okay?" he asked quietly.

She flashed him a small smile. "Sorry, yes. I just recalled how close my baby came to being hurt by that awful young man. She had poor judgment when she chose him. Maybe she was excited by his aggression, but it was turned against her in the worst way."

"But it didn't. Skye's a little shaken, but she's fine. Maybe she learned something important about the kind of man she should be looking for," Kyle suggested quietly with a small smile.

"One like you?" Helen said.

Kyle snorted. "She should aim higher."

Helen gave him a surprised look. "You can't seriously mean that!"

He held her gaze. "I can and do, but let's put that aside for now and enjoy the evening."

He looked across the table and saw Dr. Hansey watching him pensively as he pushed his food around his plate with his fork. Kyle thought he should probably deal with him as well. "I meant no offense by my words earlier. I really do respect your profession."

"Thank you," he said with a satisfied smile, then it faded as he pondered Kyle's words for a second meaning.

"Mr. MacDenny-" Reginald began.

"Please call me Kyle."

The older man nodded in gratitude. "I have a question, and I hope you don't take offense to it."

Kyle nodded with a smile.

"How often do you find yourself in situations like the one you described earlier?" the man asked.

Kyle thought about that and was disturbed to acknowledge in recent months, it was a little more frequent than he recalled it was before.

He'd only had to do it once when he was with Gwen. Then there was the jerk who wanted to fight him in the men's room while he was out riding his motorcycle with Charlize and Chloe and the basketball player in Las Vegas who went after Chloe, though he hadn't had to throw any punches in that situation. "There have been a few times in recent months, but always in defense of a friend."

"You must have a lot of friends!" Reginald said.

Kyle gave him a wide smile. "I treasure my friends. They're worth protecting." He gave Helen's hand a squeeze, and she smiled at him.

Dinner continued, and Kyle noticed the hosts were directing most of their attention towards asking Helen questions. Her likes, what she'd done before joining the hospital, and dealing with a precocious teenage girl. The sour puss woman was becoming more and more put out as dinner progressed as none of the attention was being directed towards her or her husband. Finally, she'd reached her limit.

"You enrolled her in acting? Have you given up on trying to make her into a proper young woman?" the woman exclaimed, and conversation died down around them.

Helen simply smiled at her. "One never gives up hoping for the best for their child. I take pride in knowing that Skye has become a good and caring person. The rest is window dressing."

Kyle watched the woman deflate as disapproving looks were sent her way. Even her husband had been embarrassed by her comment.

The wait staff returned to remove the dinner plates and offered a little dish of dessert. There was a slice of Yule Log cake and two shortbread cookies. Kyle automatically shook his head to skip dessert.

"Not a fan of sweets?" Helen asked.

Kyle realized he'd reacted based on Gwen's training once more and sighed. "I used to be, but not anymore. That's not necessarily a bad thing."

Helen understood his meaning and squeezed his hand. He smiled back at her, feeling a little better.

When dinner was over, Reginald asked the six nearest men to join him in the study for an after-dinner cocktail. Kyle was included in this.

Helen went off with Francis and the ladies.

The study was everything Kyle expected it to be. Rich woods, leather chairs, and walls adorned with oil paintings depicting hunting scenes with horses and dogs.

The good scotch was offered once more, and Kyle accepted a tumbler with a gracious nod.

Dr. Hansey seemed just a little annoyed that Reginald had taken a shine to Kyle, but he was politically savvy enough to know not to make a big deal about it.

Kyle was smart enough to not take advantage of his novelty, but Reginald still had questions and was determined to get answers.

"Young Kyle, you mentioned earlier that you resigned your position at the investment house to search for something that brings you joy." Kyle nodded with a smile. "How long have you been searching, and what have you found?"

Kyle's smile became a grin as he sipped and swallowed the fine scotch. "It's only been a little over five months. My quest for joy has just begun. The first part is just about breaking free from the ties to my old life. I made excellent progress there. I gave up my apartment in Vancouver, sold most of my possessions, took my motorcycle out of storage, and rode south to Santa Barbara to visit another friend I made on the cycling trip in France. I made some new friends. I had some good and bad experiences, and I learned some life lessons." He fought back a frown from recalling the particularly painful lesson of Monique's masterful deception. "I spent the rest of the year in Montreal just coasting along and adding investments to my portfolio."

"Are you actually able to live off that?" Dr. Hansey asked doubtfully.

Kyle nodded. "It's definitely possible if you have a talent for investing, which I do, and it helps if you live frugally. I've discovered I enjoy living with a minimalist lifestyle. The only exception is my motorcycle, which is my only connection to my father, who passed away years ago. I don't regularly drink scotch this magnificent. My wardrobe and worldly goods fit in a small duffle bag. I own no property." He saw the uncomfortable looks on the faces around him and chuckled. "I know, I get it! Life is about acquiring stuff, right?" He received nods and relieved smiles from the group. "Except, I've discovered that things don't bring me genuine happiness. People do. Connecting to people, learning about their lives, talking with them, and just sharing my time has been so fulfilling!"

Reginald seemed confused about something. He finally spoke. "You're too young to be retired! You're at the age where great achievements are possible, and challenges are there for you to conquer. You could be creating your own business venture and build it into a globe-spanning empire!"

Kyle grinned at the man. "That sounds like your dream. Didn't you achieve that?"

The older man grinned self-consciously, then reluctantly nodded, but his expression became earnest as he put his hand on Kyle's shoulder. "You have youth, vitality, seemingly an eye for finance, and a level head. Those last two attributes are missing in this generation. Don't you realize how much of an advantage that gives you?"

Kyle nodded. "Earlier this year, I was actually on the life path you described. I had a plan, but the problem was that plan wasn't bringing me any fulfillment. It was all for a woman who was the center of my life. I loved her unconditionally. Everything I did was for her. I changed everything about me for her until there was almost nothing left of me. Then she discarded me the night before we were to begin our bicycling vacation in France. She left a note with hotel reception stating she had a new man."

"Bitch!" Hansey blurted unconsciously, then blushed at his outburst.

Kyle nodded to him and continued. "I've been re-evaluating what's truly important to me ever since. I may very well discover one day that I want to create a vast business empire as you did, but for now, nothing has identified itself as the magic bean that dream will grow from," Kyle finished with a shrug.

"What happened to the woman who left you?" Dr. Hansey asked.

Kyle shook his head. "I don't know. The last time I saw her was in court. She has a restraining order to stay away from me, and the judge ordered her to get psychological counseling." He sighed then noticed the men were staring at him in confusion. "Oh! Right, sorry. By the end of the bicycling holiday, she showed up and tried to get me to take her back as the other man didn't work out. I told her no. She couldn't accept that answer, so she tried to sexually assault me on the flight home as I slept. I stopped her, and she lost it, attacking a flight attendant and an Air Marshall."

The men erupted in protest. Kyle blinked at them in surprise.

Reginald grinned and patted Kyle on the shoulder. "It sounds like none of them have ever heard of a man willing to claim they were sexually assaulted by a woman."

Kyle shrugged. That was their problem, not his.

The older man looked to the clock and addressed the group. "I think it's time to dance with the ladies. Shall we join them?"

They left the study and made their way to a large room where music was playing. Tables were set up around two sides of the room, and Kyle spotted Helen's team, but no sign of the woman herself yet.

"Thank you again for the wonderful scotch!" Kyle said to the host.

"You're most welcome! See you on the dance floor!" the man said, and Kyle nodded with a smile before heading over to speak with the gang.

"Well, if it isn't the table thumper!" Harry exclaimed with a grin. Kyle shrugged with a smile. "Come on, out with it! You've got the whole party buzzing about what was being said and why." Harry insisted.

"It was just a little demonstration for Dr. Hansey about how little time one has to take action to protect a friend in a violent situation. He took exception to the state I left someone who threatened Skye."

"Owen Richards! Oh my god, you did that?" Harry gasped, and Kyle's eyebrows went up. Small town, indeed. William seemed to pick up the implied question. "I have friends still in Uni, and they know of Owen. He's kind of infamous for his temper. Scares the piss out of most."

"William! Language," Jane scolded. "Now, what exactly did Mr. MacDenny do to Mr. Richards?"

"Shattered his jaw. I heard he had a concussion as well. He was taken in restraints to the psych ward after Dr. Hansey rebuilt his jaw and wired it shut."

Kyle nodded, glad to hear they were taking the man's unbalance seriously. Then he noticed eyes were on him and sighed. "If I hadn't stepped in, it would have been Skye in the hospital with those injuries. The man's mentally ill. That's all I'm saying."

Helen appeared at his elbow. "Are you being grilled, again?" she asked with a little steel in her voice. Her people snapped to attention, even Harry, who was beginning to show how many he'd had this evening.

"No, they were just asking about my little theatrics earlier this evening. Slapping the table," Kyle replied.

"Oh, well, the Dunsfields were not upset by that at all and agreed with the point Kyle was making, so we can all move on."

"Speaking of moving, may I have this dance?" Kyle asked Helen, who smiled and nodded. The earlier music was for older guests, and the younger people would get their noisy, fast music later.

He guided her out and held her in his arms as they swayed together on the dance floor. Her cheeks showed a pink glow from her excitement and joy. They glided along together, oblivious of the other people around them.

"Having fun?" he asked quietly, and she nodded quickly as she flashed him a smile.

"You look truly ravishing tonight!" he said quietly, and her smile shone that much brighter. "I also think the Dunsfields are very impressed with your work at the hospital."

She looked at him questioningly. "Did you hear something?"

He shook his head slightly. "Not directly. It's just my intuition based on tonight's conversations at dinner." He looked at his dance partner. "Just how much sway do they have with the hospital's administration?"

"I'd say it was considerable. Why?" she asked, looking him in the eye.

He shook his head. "As I said, it's just my intuition speaking but, it sounded to me like they were interviewing you."

Helen laughed gently as she smiled at Kyle. "No, I'm sure they were just expressing their polite interest in a guest who doesn't normally sit amongst that particular group."

Kyle just gave her a cheeky smile and shrugged, not willing to concede the point.

"Silly man," she chuckled quietly as they glided around the dance floor.

Too soon, the song came to a close, and Kyle saw Reginald and Francis approaching.

"May I cut in?" Reginald said to Kyle.

"As long as I may share a dance with your partner," Kyle said, looking into Francis' eyes. She nodded demurely.

The next piece began, and Kyle led Francis out onto the floor. They started, and after a short time, the woman gave him an impressed smile.

"You seem very young to be dancing to this type of music so well. Lessons?" she asked.

"Thank you, yes. My ex-fiancé insisted I become proficient in many styles when we were together." Kyle admitted. "You dance exquisitely. You've danced professionally?

Her eyes widened as she gave him a surprised and amused look. "Cheeky!"

He looked back at her curiously. "Excuse me? Did I say something inappropriate? I just meant you have an effortless flow to your movements that typically comes from someone who's danced professionally. My instructor moved like this."

She shook her head as she glanced around. She whispered to him. "As a matter of fact, I was a dancer in my youth. I've told no one about it as it's unseemly for someone of my station to have such a career."

They swept by Reginald and Helen, both of whom wore wide smiles as they danced.

"I'll have to take your word about that. All I know is that you dance beautifully," he said with a little smile on his lips.

"Thank you, kind sir."

They chose to simply enjoy the motions, but once more, the song ended far too quickly. Kyle bowed over Francis' hand but refrained from kissing it as that would have been cheeky. She gave him a smile as she'd obviously thought he might have made that move.

The older couple bowed to them then moved away to speak to other guests.

Kyle took Helen's hand, and they slipped back into the flow with the other dancers. They remained on the dancefloor through three more songs until Helen indicated she needed to rest.

"That was wonderful, but I need to rest my feet!" she sighed.

"Let's find some chairs, and I'll massage them for you," Kyle suggested. Helen's eyes lit up with excitement as she pulled him from the ballroom.

They found themselves in the room with the bar against the opposite wall, where tables and chairs had been set up. Kyle found some empty ones and held a chair for Helen. He took the one to her right and lifted her left foot onto his legs. He eased her shoe off and set it on the floor.

Helen was watching with eager attention until his thumbs worked their magic on her sore foot. She cooed and melted back against the high back of her chair.

"Oh my GOD, Kyle! Your hands are a gift from Heaven!" she moaned.

"This sounds like a wonderful time to re-introduce myself!"

Kyle looked at the woman now standing to Helen's left with a wide, mischievous smile on her lips. She was a petite, older woman Kyle met at dinner. She'd sat next to Francis, and he recalled how much attention she was paying to Helen's answers. He remembered her name.

"Mrs. Harriott, nice to see you again," he said with a smile as he continued the massage the stiffness from Helen's arch while she struggled to sit up. Kyle nodded towards a free chair.

"Please call me Kate," the woman said as she gestured for Helen to remain as she was and took the chair on her other side.

Kyle switched to Helen's right foot, and her expression made her bliss clear.

"I saw you two dancing, and I was wondering if you were going to stay on the floor all night!"

"As dreamy as that sounds, my days of dancing all night are over," Helen admitted with a wistful smile.

"It's a good thing there are other ways to fill your night beyond dancing." The playful smile was back.

Helen burst into giggles, and Kate joined in as Kyle smiled and shook his head at the two.

"Kyle, I was wondering if I might have a private word with Helen for a moment or two."

He quickly finished up with her foot and gently placed it on the floor. "Of course! I'll be over at the bar. Would you two like a drink?"

When they shook their heads, he stood and made his way to the bar. He got a glass of water as he'd had enough scotch tonight.

"Hey!" A finger poked Kyle roughly.

Kyle looked over his shoulder and saw the angry face of Dr. Hansey. The drunk and angry face of the doctor. He was trying to say something.

"I-I want... I want to get one thing very clear. I know what you meant. When you said... what you said."

Kyle blinked at the man. He had no idea what was bothering him. "What did I say?"

"You respect the profession... but not me!" the doctor growled.

Kyle looked at the man seriously and wondered how bad this was going to get. "Does it matter what I think?"

The doctor looked at him blearily. "No. No, it doesn't matter!" Kyle smiled and nodded to him, but the frown on Richard's face wasn't going away.

"What makes you so superior?" Hansey exclaimed.

"Nothing. Absolutely nothing. I didn't go to medical school. I didn't put in all those hours to become a doctor. You did. Good on you, man!" Kyle said to calm him down.

Richard was shaking his head. "You're doing it again! You say nice things about being a doctor, but you don't respect me, the man!"

Kyle sighed. "You just said it doesn't matter!"

"Dunsfield respects you!" the doctor snapped.

Kyle paused. Here was the root cause of Dr. Hansey's issue. "And... that's a bad thing?"

Richard looked away and mumbled something. Kyle just looked at him expectantly when he turned his face back. "The man barely tolerates me!"

Kyle suspected the doctor's reputation played a role in their host's disdain. Suddenly, he wondered how much the older gentleman would respect him if he knew what he'd done in Montreal. He forced that thought down and concentrated on the man before him.

"This is the first time I've ever met you. I don't know you or anything about you. Have you spoken with Mr. Dunsfield?" Kyle said gently.

The man aimed his bleary eyes at Kyle. "Should I just run up to Reginald and ask, why don't you like me?"

"Shit, Richard! It's because of how you can't keep your grubby mitts to yourself." They turned to see Harry leaning back against the bar. Finally, his intoxication level was becoming apparent. "Always pawing the womenfolk!"

Kyle moved to stand between Richard and Harry and held the Doctor's eyes. "Is that true, Richard? Do you touch women without their explicit permission?"

He looked indignant, but there was a hesitation there. Kyle pressed. "Do women fall silent as you approach or go out of their way to avoid you?"

The doubt strengthened. In for a penny, in for a pound. Kyle wondered if that phrase originated in this country.

1...34567...33