Silver Tongued Devil Ch. 01

Story Info
Deity passes the torch with corrupting results.
9k words
4.62
18.8k
22
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Silver Tongued Devil. (Ch1)

A story by R.C.PeterGabriel, all rights reserved.

After splashing water on my face, I looked up into the mirror, questioning reality itself. I had been stunned at the sheer suddenness of those fateful six days of events. Days that had overturned my entire understanding of how the world was put together.

The days I'm referring to were those immediately following the death of my mother. My mam's death had been unexpected, at least by me. She had seemed the picture of health and vitality, the week before. Known throughout most of Scotland, as Lady Alfreka Reed. A comely woman to be sure. Sought after by the gentry of many countries. At least, once her grieving period for my father had expired. Although, her suiters were each treated to a polite and respectful discouragement, as she had never once considered remarrying.

I never knew my sire in the flesh, being too young to remember him. Although, my sister and I were raised on tales of his wondrously exaggerated heroic adventures. We were very close, my mother, sister, and I. She took a far more active role in our raising and education than was typical for nobles. Most would have handed us off to a governess, only to be seen at most, once daily at supper.

We are well-traveled and have been exposed to the sights, cultures, and arts on every continent. In hindsight, we'd spend so much time in the states, I could probably pass as an American just as easily as a Scott.

We are blessed with having great means, and not just money. We have land and title as well, along with many servants to be sure. At last count, one-hundred-seventy-three in our direct employ. And many more corporately. All of whom adored and respected my mam' for her kind demeanor and steady hand with the two of us. At least the house, stable, and grounds staff saw her in that light. Not so much, for those living outside our gates.

The estate encompasses over fifteen square miles and requires a great deal to maintain. Because of this, she was also known for her ruthless business sense, and iron will when it came to money. Point of fact, my sister will never be in want, nor ever need to use her doctorate of finance. I, on the other hand, assumed that I would be making use of mine. For I am the beloved Lord Fergus Reed. Now named so in title only. My sister and I had been subjected to a horde of solicitors and the local magistrate descending upon our grief. Our mother had been very specific about her wishes, and the magistrate was there to bear witness to the fulfillment of the same.

The solicitors explained that the reading of the will was required to be done specifically on one day only. The spring equinox, of this year, and only this year or everything would be granted to the crown. Why the crown hadn't simply conquered the land as it had with the rest of Great Britain was an unknown. An unknown that historians had debated over since the early 1700s. Regardless, the magistrate vehemently refused to allow any speculation as to why the will could have been written right after my sister's birth while requiring it to be read only on that specific date. My sister and I gave each other a knowing glance. It was just another mystery to be whispered about by the servants and townies. We may be well loved and hold an English title, but our family has been on this land since long before the Celts. Speaking aloud of any of the many mysteries surrounding my family was a harbinger of ill fortune that no one was willing to risk. The townies are so superstitious, they usually appear afraid of us. Even so, all of the solicitors tried to appear compassionate during the reading. That didn't prevent me from noticing the furtive glances, and the rush to conclude their business ... nor the involuntary shudders.

The will was simple and ironclad, as was typical with any of my mother's legal dealings. My lovely sister, Lady Agnus Reed, had inherited the entirety of the Reed family holdings. The land, the manor and its furnishings, the artwork, vehicles, livestock, businesses, stocks, and capital, at least until her death. At which time everything will revert back to me, regardless of her marital or parental status.

I was left nothing except instructions for finding a vault hidden in a distant corner of the estate. The contents of which would be my 'legacy and responsibility' as quoted from the will. I was required to locate and open the vault today prior to sundown, enter only at sundown, and formally claim its contents or it would go to my sister as well.

Following the specific orienteering instructions led me to a collection of standing stones that we had ridden our horses past hundreds of times without a second glance. There were monoliths like these all over Great Britain, with speculation as to their purpose being so varied the subject is ignored for the most part.

The magistrate and all but two of the baker's dozen worth of solicitors chose to leave as I stepped into the center of the stones. My presence having somehow triggered one of the forty-ton columns of roughhewn rock to begin grinding its way to the side. I was as startled as everyone else, having played here many times as a lad without any masonry reaction at all. One of the two remaining solicitors nervously reminded me that I had to wait sixteen more minutes, before entering the passage reviled by the stone's movement. I of course chose not to, or the contents would have also gone to my sister. During the wait they asked me if my entering the passage could be construed as my laying claim to everything inside the vault. When I stated that, yes, that would be the case, they counted down the remaining time until sunset and hurried away as I descended the first of many steps leading into the darkness.

Agnus stated that she would await my return, as did my loyal manservant Archibald. I assumed he was awaiting to decide if he needed to request reassignment within the household or not. Either way, I descended slowly, trying to allow my eyes to adjust because for some reason I wasn't allowed to bring a torch with me. As I neared the bottom I glanced back and could just make out the silhouette of my sister standing at the top of the stairs with a greying sky above her. Doing so ruined what little night vision I had obtained and found it necessary to wait several minutes before continuing.

When I could, I descended the remaining steps and found myself in a tiny room of only nine feet square. At its center stood a fount-like pedestal. The room and pedestal seemed to be carved from a single stone of the same type as those standing above ground. The air was unusually warm and held no humidity, although it smelled dank and coppery, reminding me of the room our butcher uses to slaughter livestock. As my eyes adjusted further, I noticed the fount held a dark liquid with the shadowy outline of something serpentine laying within. Curious, I touched the liquid with a finger and found it to be a warm viscous fluid. I pulled my finger back to discover it coated in blood. I back peddled into the wall, almost crying out in temporary shock. How could there possibly be liquid blood in this place?!?

A moment or two later I realize that I could now see perfectly well. The blood now a deep crimson, instead of black. The serpentine shape now clearly defined within the shallow pool. It was a fine chain that looked to be about eighteen inches in length. Its pure silver composition easily reflected the red-tinged light back at me. I had no idea how I knew what it was made of, or that it was many thousands of years old, but somehow I did. Being drawn to it, I lowered my hand into the blood, and the pool seemed to deepen, keeping my prize just out of reach until I was well in, clear to my shoulder. As my fingers finally grasped a few of the links, I felt my mind expand. I knew the chain had belonged to Ogmios himself. A capable warrior, but known as the God of Knowledge, Eloquence, and Persuasion.

I was granted a vision of a temple with a carved statue of larger-than-life proportions, representing Ogmios. He was standing tall with outstretched arms in an encompassing gesture. His mouth was open with a fine silver chain connected to his tongue. The chain split and split again, over, and over, until the far ends were attached to the ears of many hundreds of followers kneeling in supplication.

The vision ended as I drew the chain from its bloody bath. I watched, without fear as the blood drew itself up along the chain and soaked into my skin, along with all that had coated my arm. "Hello, Fergus," it said in my head. "I've been waiting for you."

I should have been afraid but somehow I wasn't. I should have at least been as startled as I had been when the stone had moved but the situation seemed perfectly normal. Looking back my thoughts were focused more on the sense of destiny that had gripped me than any emotional discomfort. Although to be honest, there wasn't any. I had no reason to feel even the slightest emotional turmoil. The chain in my hand had been a catalyst, a symbol if you will. A physical representation of my awakening. Once accepted, I had been irrevocably altered of mind and body but that carried with it a tranquility beyond any I had previously known.

As to the changes, I had only the one visual clue that my physical self, had changed at all. I could see in the dark and was an obvious mutation. Mentally, there was a feeling. I can't really describe it, except to say that I knew as completely as I'd known who the chain belonged to, that I could affect the thoughts of people. I didn't know how or to what level, only that I could do it. The other changes would only show themselves over time. I suppose, in theory, I've yet to discover all of my mutations but as most of them came to light within the first few months, gives me doubts of there being additional benefits. Not that I am complaining, mind you. Regardless, I felt newly remade. Simply put, more ... much more!

On a whim, I lowered my other arm into the font and waited. It was a slow process. So slow that I didn't think anything was going to happen until the voice spoke to me again. "Do you really think that you can contain all of me?"

I almost pulled my arm from the fount before I stopped myself. Instead, I spoke to the air around me. I knew the chain was only a symbol and wasn't the true power of this place. "How do you know that I can't? Has anyone ever tried?"

"No. Even though many have come before you and were actually instructed to take possession of everything within this chamber, but did so only symbolically. They were granted great wealth and power, as have you. Why do you seek more? That much power could kill. Do you wish to risk it?"

I smiled. "If I don't, wouldn't it be true that the power granted me thus far be given over to my sister? The will was very clearly stated on the issue."

I felt more than heard boisterous laughter as it proceeded more words. "You are the first to make the connection young Fergus. Take all that is here or lose what you've been given, as have all of your male ancestors before you. Know this, the females of your line have only held a small portion of what is offered here. They only received the small levels of power that males had taken from the font. If you consume the remainder, you will be taking on my entire mantle. I was not the first to carry it but I am the only one to still be remembered. By taking it up, you will be as I was at the height of my power. I will diminish and be allowed to live a mortal life. You will be freeing me of a burden and allow me to seek true love. I have never known it, as my abilities have always overcome those I sought it from. Remember well that caution before choosing, young Fergus. You are the first to have the choice. Consign yourself to my existence, or give up your power to your sister."

I never spoke to Ogmios again. As you might have guessed. I chose to take on his mantle and thus began the exploration of my new self.

I ascended the stairs two and sometimes three at a time to find my sister near enough to slumber that she could hardly stand. My manservant doing his best to support her while maintaining decorum. He gave her a gentle shake and brought her attention to my reappearance. She immediately looked relieved but inquired as to the nature of my inheritance as I had emerged seemingly empty-handed. Not even the chain remained as it had soaked into my skin along with the remaining blood. I informed her that I carried far more wealth from the chamber than she could possibly comprehend and changed the subject by insisting she be ushered home to bed.

Upon our arrival at the manor house, I found myself wandering the halls looking for the means to test my new abilities. It didn't take me long to realize the only servants up at this time of morning would be those in the kitchen making preparations for the coming day. That little coincidence made me smile.

I found the kitchen manager, Olivia, in the larder preparing an inventory. Her back was to me, allowing a fully unobserved survey of her person. I had always found her attractive but her being married to one of our accountants and how 'scandalous' people would have found it, for me to mix with the help, I had thus far retained a begrudged distance.

She keeps her hair in an asymmetrical cut, with the right side falling just below her ear and the other always worn in a loose braid that falls to the top of her left breast. The color is one I've always been drawn to. While it is probably still considered auburn, it's obviously not natural, with richer than possible browns and brighter than possible reds. She even had her eyebrows done to match, which had the effect of forcing me to ponder the state of her mons covering. The color and style match her friendly, outgoing personality and helped draw my attention to her. Although it wasn't her only feature that I found attractive. Her expressive milk-chocolate-colored eyes, sparking with merriment at the slightest provocation, and her room-illuminating smile, drew me to her like a moth to a flame.

The uniform was, shall we say, obstructing for the most part. Although, it did allow me to decide that her flanks were acceptable for my use and I cleared my throat.

She gave a somewhat startled squeak and spun in place with her clipboard pressed firmly to her moderately endowed chest. Upon spotting me, she flushed nicely before issuing an unnecessary apology. "My Lord. I'm sorry Sir, I didn't notice you there. What can I do for you?"

"That depends on several things," I began with a smile. I knew I was about to risk offending the young woman, which would most certainly be made known to my sister, and had the potential of making my life somewhat strained. That, however, didn't worry me too terribly. The fact that I detected a significant difference in my voice did. It wasn't a difference in pitch, tone, or even cadence. It seemed to carry an almost physical energy just under the sounds. I would later realize the 'energy' was a manifestation of my will. Eventually, I learned to control the amount of will I pushed through with my words but only to a small degree. Strong emotion seems to increase the effect but I still can't eliminate it altogether. Simply put, my words are a power unto themselves. Regardless of my lack of understanding, I forged ahead with my experiment.

"I find your uniform entirely too obtrusive to my sight. I'd like you to remove it so that I can have a look at you properly."

My smile grew as she apologized again, while quickly beginning to divest herself of garments. I noticed she took the term 'uniform' literally and removed only her outer garments. I actually found the situation more than satisfactory as I surveyed her body still covered in a lovely matching bra and panty set of some black lacy material. "Is this better, Lord Reed?" she asked, while slowly turning in place.

"Yes, much better" I stated as she continued to allow me to gaze at her near nakedness. She was surprisingly well-toned without having lost her femininity. Her skin was smooth and nearly flawless. A small mole showing just above her knickers on her left hip being the only imperfection I could see. Although her coloring was darker than most from our region, a few minutes a day in a tanning bed wouldn't hurt. Her breasts appeared firm, well-formed, and filled out her bra nicely. Far more so than I had expected while hidden beneath her uniform. A full 'C' cup was my guess. Any more would have been simply too large on her petite frame. Her arse proved to be as firm and lifted as I had hoped, proudly supported by long lean legs that begged to be caressed. It was obvious that she spent a great deal of time caring for her physique.

"You can redress now. Although I would like you to send your husband to me later this morning. I have a situation to discuss with him. You will need to arrive fifteen minutes prior to him. In the meantime, as you go about your day I'd like you to think about your desires. Any secrets you are withholding from your husband as well as what it is that you cherish most about your relationship with him."

The first foray into testing my abilities went well, even more so than expected but I needed more testing and more knowledge. I left her to do her job while retiring to my wing of the house. Specifically to my study in order to glean as much as I could from the internet about Ogmios and his purported abilities.

Archibald met me while entering and inquired whether or not I would require him any further for the short remainder of the night. I told him to rest well, and for him to take the next several days to himself. He looked surprised but thanked me and retired.

The internet held a pitiful lack of knowledge concerning the Celtic deity. Although I did discover that France still retained some followers of his and I made myself a promise to seek them out at some point. That would have to wait however as I wanted to become familiar with my abilities prior to embarking on the journey. It just wouldn't do to show up stating that I was the reincarnation of their god and not be able to perform all of my functions, now would it?

After the disappointing internet search, I decided I'd go for a walk. Leaving the manor, I wandered the gardens for an hour or so before realizing that I wasn't tired in the least. Taking a superficial survey of myself, I realized that my eyesight hadn't been the only improvement. I was simply brimming over with energy and decided to make my way to the fitness center. Technically the entire staff had access to it but few ever made use of it. The majority had physically intensive jobs and probably didn't need to but I would see to it that it was used more often. If for no other reason than to have more attractive people around me.

I sat myself at the weight machine with my personal best of twenty-one stones locked in. It took only a slight push to realize that, that wasn't going to be much of a challenge and added five stone. After twenty-five reps, I locked in everything the bench had to offer. With nearly thirty-six stone locked in, I had to work a little but I was on rep number fifty-five before I started to feel warmed up. I stopped at one-twenty-five with only a slight tension in my arms and chest. It would seem that I needed better equipment to find my physical limits. I guess holding the mantle of a god has its advantages.

Back in my room, I headed for the shower. Now I have to say that having a vast amount of free time had allowed me to stay in far better shape than most. I had worked myself into a rather fine physique, but after stripping off, I took a look at myself in the mirror. What I discovered was that while I hadn't changed the overall size of my muscles, the ones I had were now perfectly defined. I even had the deeply notched lower abs that I had worked so hard for but never could quite obtain. Ripped was just too mild a description.