Silvertree Chronicles Bk. 05 Pt. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

They could not take on another title which made you ineligible to inherit the duchy title. The lands returned to the control of the villages. Yet the town charter was never revoked and still exists which I do not understand what occurred during that time as I have no records reflecting a change to this town."

Jarronus looked at the Master Trainer, "We should visit the area and try and get some answers after this, Master Trainer. We should see Silent Falls together."

Master Trainer Goldeagle nodded, "You do not have a horse at the moment."

Jarronus looked at the Queen, "Is the herd still there?"

Queen Goldeagle nodded, "Yes, it is still there."

Jarronus looked at the Master Trainer, "Something else to see about obtaining while we are there. There is a permanent teleportation circle into one of the nearby villages going into House Silvertree. We could take that to travel there. I have my father's saddle and bridle, Master Trainer."

He nodded, "We should do that then and see what is going on with these businesses."

Queen Goldeagle looked at young Silvertree, "I have already sent word to the bank to let them know to transfer control of the accounts over to you. If there are any issues with that contact me on this, my cousin Sidnar."

She handed him a crystal. The Master Trainer smiled, "You have been trying to put one of these on me for years, my dear cousin."

She smiled brightly, "Well now you have a reason where you will take it. We have to get to a meeting now."

Jarronus looked at her, "We?"

She smiled, "Yes there is someone who wants to meet you. A couple of others actually. They asked alone but given it is my cousin I think it would be fine. Follow me."

They followed her to a large conference room. Jarronus stopped at the doorway, turned, and walked away. Master Trainer Goldeagle looked at Jarronus, "Where are you going?"

Jarronus looked back, "As far away from the dragons in that room as I can get. They lead to the death of my family and I am all that is left. The less I have to do with dragons the better. Please make my apologies to the Queen. Explain I would like to live long enough to have a family. Maybe do something with my life that does not work out for their interest while screwing over my family. Right now, that is just me!"

Jarronus left the Palace then teleported to House Silvertree.

---

The Master Trainer walked up to the Queen. "You should know I believe I am training the next Champion. He is gestalt like Jazzia, a Battle Sorcerer casting tier 9 spells and a Blade Singer that is almost as capable.

He has been barred from tournaments because he carries his family Moon Blade. He wears a holy symbol, but no magical amulet as of yet. He sees the dragons which I do not. He blames them for the loss of his family over the years. It may come from his blade. Regardless I must find him, your Majesty."

She looked shocked, "Go and find him. Keep him safe. His mother's concerns make more sense now. A thousand years and he could be another champion after all of this time, I will speak with our guests."

---

She walked into the room with 7 dragons present, "I have to ask, why did you want to see Jarronus Silvertree today of all days?"

Lord Regal looked at her, "That is Dragon business."

Queen Goldeagle glared, "He is an underaged elf in my Kingdom, the last of his house with his mother having just died, and you better have a better answer than that."

One of the other 6 dragons who was with Lord Regal spoke, "We heard he was the last and we wanted to see him. We received divine direction to seek him out. He might have the information we need for an upcoming conflict. It might be in his head, his records, or he might be another champion. We do not know. We know he holds a key to answering some questions that we need to have answered."

She sighed, "My cousin is his trainer. He looked in and saw you for the dragons you are and left the area. He didn't want to meet with you. He blamed his family's involvement with dragons for the decline into the chaos that has left him to be the last remaining heir.

He carries his family blade and is a gestalt according to my cousin who is the Master Trainer. Jarronus is a battle sorcerer and undergoing training as a Blade Singer, similar to Jazzia. My cousin believes he could be a champion. I will let you know if we get him to change his mind, but that meeting will likely not be today."

The seven dragons left without further comment. Queen Goldeagle headed for her Audience chamber to start looking at her ancestor's journals on gestalts and champions.

She hoped to find answers there.

---

The Master Trainer went out front and got onto his horse. He teleported to the front of House Silvertree. Jarronus had his tack in hand. He got to the teleportation circle and activated the last rune as the Master Trainer arrived. The Master Trainer knew where he went. He went to the Academy to find a mage who could teleport him to the town or to Silent Falls. Having never been himself before today.

---

Jarronus found himself in the small village and was soon surrounded by the local militia.

They looked at Jarronus. A surly looking wood-elf spoke, "Where are your parents?"

Jarronus looked at them, "Dead. Yours?"

The elf looked at him, "Don't get cute with me child."

Jarronus stepped back and drew his sword. He drew a circle on the ground. He sighed, "You want to see me bring the child out of you enter the circle."

The elf started to get down all cocky.

Someone rode in from behind Jarronus, "Stand down before the child puts your mind into last week and your body into next week."

Karti'Ros chuckled, "Moon Ray Moon Blade. I know them all."

Jarronus looked at him, "You can listen to the wielder of the Moon Ray Moon Blade or you can take your chances against the Silvertree Moon Blade."

The guy stopped dead. He mounted up and rode off. He did not know the child but Moon Ray was a powerful figure in the village and he backed the child over him, likely because of the sword.

Jarronus turned to face the new arrival, "I am in need of an Elven War Horse. Could you inform the Herd for me please?"

The man nodded, "They are aware. What brings you here?"

Jarronus looked around, "Is an invitation required?"

The man chuckled, "Depends on who you ask. No, you do not need an invitation."

Jarronus put the sword away and a white Stallion came in. He looked it over, "Sattona." The men laughed.

He heard in his head even more laughter, "Camouflage. Why?"

Jarronus thought back, "Like me, you stick out in these woods."

The joke was apparently shared. As another round of laughter occurred. Jarronus saddled up and looked around, "Thank you. My mother died a few days ago. I am here to see this place, get a horse, and check on assets that are supposed to still be in the family."

He mounted up and Moon Ray asked, "What assets?"

He turned and started riding, "Apparently about 70% of Quatarsia."

Moon Ray came up, "What gave you that idea?"

Jarronus looked over, "The Queen."

Moon Ray groaned, "This will not go over well."

Jarronus smiled, "Why? Because it is true or because people will refuse to accept the truth?"

Moon Ray said nothing but rode along to see where he would go. Jarronus looked around at the crossroads and took a right to the inn. He got down and walked in to see some of the patrol members he ran into.

An elven woman looked at him, "You lost?"

Jarronus smiled, "No I am not lost. I am right where I am supposed to be. I need to see the inn's books."

She looked at him, "You will have to talk with the owner about that."

Jarronus sighed, "I do not care to talk with myself. I wish to see the books."

She looked at him, "You are not the owner."

Jarronus sighed, "I am Jarronus Silvertree. Owner of about 70% of the businesses in this town including this one. That is what the Queen told me not an hour ago."

She started to laugh and Jarronus went upstairs. She followed as he went onto the fourth floor. It was covered in cobwebs and the ceiling was in need of repair. He shook his head and walked up to where the portal was supposed to be and nothing happened.

He looked over, "After the quake, they moved this building. About ten to fifteen feet west." He walked down the hall and extended his hand and the portal opened which shocked the waitress. She ran down the stairs. Jarronus walked inside.

Moon Ray followed him, "They will likely try and kill you to keep it."

Jarronus looked back, "They are free to try."

He searched around. He found a very old bow but the enchantment was unmistakable. He took it with him. He checked each room finding only a few cursory items of interest.

He looked around, "Set owner Jarronus Silvertree and his descendants. Only open for them going forward." Moon Ray shook his head as they went to leave. We saw 6 bodies rush to get in.

Jarronus drew his sword and backed off as Karti'Ros alerted, "Danger."

He thought, "Moon Fire on."

They were undeterred.

Jarronus looked at Moon Ray, "You might want to step outside. I will leave their smoldering corpse in here."

Moon Ray looked at Jarronus, "You can take them all?"

Jarronus asked, "You know of Brannar Silvertree the Storm Born Sorcerer?"

Moon Ray nodded. Jarronus extended a hand backward and sent the forty-foot briefing table into smoldering wood chips. "That was an unenhanced tier-three spell. Image what I can do with the tier nine stuff I can cast!"

Moon Ray walked out, "Your funerals guys. You should know he can seal you in there until you die with no chance of escape."

Jarronus smiled, "They would be fed unless I shut off the food. Other than that, it would get boring fast."

---

The Master Trainer appeared in the crossroads and saw the distinctive Silvertree tack on a horse outside the inn. He went up, "Where is Jarronus Silvertree?"

The waitress looked at him, "Upstairs if he is still alive."

He looked over and 12 or more bodies were blocking the staircase. He looked at her, "Another way up?"

She nodded, "There is a staircase that goes straight to the fourth floor in the Kitchen but you would have to get permission."

He pushed past her and went up the staircase and pushed open the unused door that was stuck and in disrepair. He looked down the hallway at the scene and the exchange that was going on.

The voice of Master Trainer Goldeagle echoed out, "Trust me when I tell you as the Master Trainer Blade Singer, he does not need spells to terminate the entire lot of you. I am Master Trainer Goldeagle, of the Royal family and his trainer."

He activated his Moon Blade. Golden flames danced along the blade. Moon Ray pointed them to the stairs. They left and swords were sheathed.

The Master Trainer looked around inside, "What was that?"

Moon Ray chuckled, "A briefing table."

Jarronus smiled, "It will repair itself."

He stepped outside and sighed as he went down the stairs.

Karti' Ros alerted, "Danger again."

Jarronus sighed, "If I am forced to cast down there then this place will look like the table."

Moon Ray went down, "He can sense any ambush. You should give it up before he just destroys the whole building and anyone in it."

They backed off as the two Blade Singers came down.

He once again looked at the Waitress, "I want the books or the man who claims to own it. I have manacles. The Queen can decide the matter while he sits in a cell. Along with anyone else who wishes to join him. While you are at it the same goes for the stable, blacksmith, general store, and the other seven businesses listed on this piece of this paper."

She looked at Jarronus, "I am not cooperating with you."

Jarronus looked at the Master Trainer, "Master Trainer Goldeagle. Would you contact your cousin the Queen and let her know Royal Guards might be needed in this town? Also, the neighboring villages for the foreseeable future."

A man in the back jumped up, "Wait! I am the town elder."

Jarronus nodded, "Then you will collect the books for these businesses for me and tell me who is claiming to own them."

The Elder walked outside trailing the Blade Singers and looked at Jarronus, "You are going to come back after all of these years and try to take these businesses?"

Jarronus laughed, "First I cannot take what is legally mine. Second I never claimed to be here for anything other than the names of those claiming to own them and the books as the listed owner is entitled to review them."

He looked at Jarronus, "This town is not rich."

Jarronus sighed, "Someone is claiming to own them then they should be big enough to admit it. Provide documentation that they had purchased the business. That they have been paying the crown the taxes on the business. That they are following the town charter in regards to cost over expenses. Also, they follow the founding principles of this town which is tolerance.

That church and the Academy were all brought in by Eldar Silvertree. Down to the fuel-less forges and stoves in the homes. To improve the quality of life of the people here. The wood-elf people were on the verge of extinction at that point. He stopped that with the Gray Blades. He brought in T'Sarus as the progenitor of the herd of elven war horses.

I could give a damn about money. You go shitting on my family's legacy for this town and you will find an enemy quickly. The town is named Quatarsia for a reason. From what I have seen and heard tolerance is not high on any agenda. Prove me wrong. You get the books. We will see if they're in compliance with the town charter. Are you?"

He shrugged, "I have never seen the town charter."

Jarronus groaned, "Even a village has a charter. Every Elder is required to know it. Get the books. Meet at Silent Falls in an hour. Send a messenger to each village to have a village elder representative present. It does not need to be everyone, just someone who can speak for their town or village. Bring the names. I will tell you what I am going to do at the Falls."

They mounted up and started riding and were fortunate to get to Silent Falls without issue. It was almost two hours before they arrived. Moon Ray rode up.

Karti'Ros chuckled, "Strong Oak blade."

Moon Ray pointed, "Strong Oak, this is Silvertree."

Jarronus nodded, "I am Jarronus, hello cousin."

He chuckled, "Very distant cousins." Still, they shook hands. A few others arrived. They handed a stack of books to Goldeagle who stored them.

Jarronus looked over, "Accountants will go through the books and get them back."

Jarronus looked at Strong Oak and Moon Ray, "You can relay this message. I am not hurting for money. The issue is with keeping to the term of the agreement. If the terms have failed and the two villages wish to have new terms that would be another thing. Else the terms that were filed with the Elders when Quatarsia was created should be followed.

That includes a set number of businesses. No competing for services. Buy in bulk and those businesses, like selling wine, is at a fixed cost above the cost of getting it there and labor and upkeep for the business. That inn's fourth floor needs to be repaired. The people who service the tables are taken into account.

Tolerance for elves, humans, dwarves, centaurs, elf-blooded, and even the metallic dragons are applicable given our alliances. This also means if your name is on the list for the business that you will assume legally the business and remain in compliance with the town charter.

It was never revoked. For the last 6 centuries, House Silvertree has paid the taxes on those businesses. Any that wish to claim they bought it 600 years ago better have proof they have been paying the crown for the taxes. As the Queen did not find those records. She found my House has been paying for them all.

There was a loss here with the loss of the Duchy. You lost income, the ability for a nice discount from the city on basic everyday goods. I had no hand in this. I was not alive 600 years ago. I see a few of you were alive then."

That got a few chuckles. "Wood elves, from what I have read from my family journal, are very proud people who like to be left well enough alone. Not as reclusive as the wild elves near here. That was why the town was created to give some distance to those societies. The Academy was built to train your people with talent. All of this is just stuff, but it was the stuff my ancestors gave to these communities.

Here is what I expect in return in addition to compliance with the spirit, word, and intent of the charter. Space in the stable if I or my heir should return. 1 large stall reserved to the holder of this blade and his family.

Unobstructed access to my secure family home on the fourth floor of the inn. The herd will decide if I am worthy of an elven warhorse. I am not out to be the Duke here. My branch of the family had no right to that title since the Knight Paladin came into being.

That is why I can say I had no right to the title. I am not looking for it. I can also say I had no hand in the chaos that befell this area when the Duchy was disbanded. Like you, you want your legacy preserved. Why would I want any less for those who came before me? The one question a lot of you are asking is why now?

The answer is my mother died and it was dropped in my lap. There are 4 Moon Blade wielders here. Three of them were put into the hands of these families by Eldar at ceremonies that were done at these falls. He used the Moon Blade I carry in the rituals performed here.

Anytime he had to come back and drop changes from the city on the elders this is where he dropped the information. I am continuing that legacy. I just realized something. The Academy here was put in recognition of the Silverbar, Silvertree, and Strong Oak families.

I am a descendant of all three, as Jazzia was married to a Silverbar elf-blooded half-dragon in her day. Before we leave, is there anyone who wishes to add or take away from the documents here? In regards to when they took ownership of a business? If you are ready to pay for 600 years of back taxes to the crown."

Goldeagle handed the papers back to Moon Ray who chuckled and went around. Several scratched out owning it previously.

Jarronus looked over, "To the Elders of Quatarsia, read the charter. Here is a copy of it. The villages have it as well. Send a representative to the Capital in a week. They can deal with the books, transfers of property, and add amendments the villages wish to make.

I suspect there will likely be price changes brought about because of this, this will affect other businesses, not on this list. They are required to keep the profits to what is listed in the charters. I leave that to the Elders to correct. Taxes from the crown will fall to the business owners in the future, not House Silvertree.

I will not seek 600 years of back tax restitution as a part of this very generous deal. Any complaints about what I am wanting from the town? Any homes that do not have a clear transfer of title bring the information on it as well. I know there are two. Including the old Silvertree home in the village of Porzcosa and the land on which the wreckage of the keep sits upon in Quatarsia."

No hands went up. They rode out with no questions. The Master Trainer looked at him, "Feel better?"

Jarronus just shook his head knowing it was an end of an era a long time ago. His presence is a sad reminder of where his family succeeded and then failed these people. They got to the village and had the runes activated and were back in the city. Jarronus walked over and stabled the horse.

The Master Trainer looked over, "I will take the books to the Palace. Are you ready to talk about the dragons you saw?"