Sky High After Dark: Siren's song

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Sure, Veil, what about?" Aron's eyes scanned through the information they had on the doctor Veil displayed on his HUD.

"Jill."

"What about her?"

"She has imparted to me while coping with the era she has found herself in. She just doesn't feel like she belongs here."

"I see. Yeah, I can see that; I mean, I try to help her as much as I can..."

"Have you?"

"I don't like that tone, Veil. It sounds like you're saying I haven't been trying hard enough," Aron spoke, taking offense to her accusation.

"That is what I am saying, father."

"Well, you know Jill better than I do; what would you have me do?"

"Play hero with her."

"What?! I think I misheard you," Aron uttered, taken aback.

"No, I know you heard me perfectly fine. My voice is only two centimeters away from your ear. If you're having trouble hearing it, then I would suggest hearing aids." Aron was a little surprised by the put-down Veil had just said.

"I take it you have a suggestion you would like to make?"

"I do." Aron arched an eyebrow when a live feed of the corridor where the suit from another time was stored. "If you can't be Void alongside her, then become something else. I know Jill always loved being your sidekick, and I know if you were out there with her. It will help her feel more at home here." Aron stroked his chin through his mask as he continued to stare at that image.

"Okay, Veil, I'll let you handle the designing and building of the gadgets for this little project if you feel this strongly about it," Aron muttered after careful thought.

"Thank you, father; I will have it ready when you come home."

"Thirty seconds to drop." Came the pilot's warning came over the built-in speakers. Bracing himself for the jolt once the pod was unlatched from the wing. Watching the altimeter spinning like mad as he dropped like a stone. Hearing the outer shell breaking in half like it was designed to do once it dropped five thousand feet below the aircraft. The glider's wings scissored out. His body was slammed into the wall of the glider as it was buffeted by the high winds. Alarms resounded in that man-sized glider cockpit as it fell uncontrollably to the ground below. Around ten thousand feet after his drop, Aron could finally get control of the glider and set into a descending spiral that would burn off his speed.

Once he was down to ten thousand feet, he pointed the nose of the aircraft towards the location of the compound. Activating assault mode as he reached for the button that would dismantle the glider, hearing the small explosions as the craft came apart. Feeling the coat stiffening, causing it to act like a wing-suit as he headed straight for the nearest sentry tower. Gun fire filled the sky as they attempted to shoot him down. Glass shattered; brick crumbled as he came barreling through the enclosed sentry nest. Feeling the bullets flattening against his body as he rose. Wires sparked from the destroyed station as he took out the men within that nest. Hearing the bazooka and rifle move to the ready position. Knowing his shots had to count given the limited shots the batteries stored. Firing from the hips, watching the two-particle beams easily cut through the sentry towers. Listening to them returning to their compartments once their ordinance had been depleted.

"Veil, play track twelve," Aron spoke as he brought his pistols up and cut a hole through the wall as Bush's 'Sound of winter' played. Sure he could easily smash through it, yet the debris would hinder his eye line, and he wasn't about to allow anyone to flee from this place. Taking off with a run, leaping from the hole he had just created. His laser bolts filled the courtyard as he laid to waste Banshee's underlings, or that would have been the case if two M-9 Chazrian tanks hadn't rolled into the courtyard. Aron had no time to avoid them as the men inside of them took aim and fired. Feeling the searing heat, the shrapnel of the shells tearing through his suit. The force of the combined blast sent him streaking backwards in a stream of smoke, crashing into the cinderblock wall of a small storage building he found himself in. Noting the massive warnings playing along his HUD as it displayed the damage the suit had sustained. Doing a quick run down of the systems the suit could manage while disconnecting the rifle and bazooka from the recharge from the suit's built-in solar cells. Bringing up his right pistol, seeing how a piece of the shell had severed the barrel, he knew it was inoperable. However, that didn't mean it was useless.

Storing his remaining functioning pistol back into its hoister. Tinkering with the power supply on his damaged one, setting it to overload. He could always make a new one; he wasn't about to leave his tech behind. Bringing up his left arm, firing off his pin missiles at the gathered men thinking they had a chance now that tanks were involved. Taking off in a run when their turrets began to spin towards him. Tossing his pistol at them, diving into a roll as the power cell of it exploded, causing massive damage to the two tanks. Pulling out two plasma grenades from their pocket, feeling the wind passing through the holes in his suit as he tossed them at the tanks knowing they would finish the two off. Reloading his pin missiles as the flaming metal of the tanks rained down over the area. Firing off another salvo of missiles, reloading once again to keep the stress off of using those old pistols. Sure he could fix them, but that wasn't the point; he just didn't want something that Jill remembered fondly being damaged. Peering out the holes in his mask and along his HUD as he entered the main building of the compound.

Grunting as the impact of the machine gun's fire struck him in the chest and stomach, causing him to stumble back into the wall momentarily. Bringing up his arms, watching the suit's durability lowering as he pressed on. Not that he was worried about coming to harm from the weapon's fire. He had just grown attached to the suit. Not that he would ever admit that to anyone. Watching blood and teeth spray through the air as he struck the two men on the sides of their faces with the butt ends of the formerly mounted machine guns. Pulling out his one remaining pistol firing through the walls. Since he was the only friendly there, he didn't need to worry about friendly fire. Looking up, seeing the heat signatures of three dozen on the floor above him. Watching the power drain on his suit as he was picking off the people until they wised up that they were being fired at from below.

Standing off to the side, just watching the fools firing blindly into the hole of the floor he had cut with his pistols, he had taken one of the others out, given the numbers he was facing. Thinking he was going to use that to make his way up to them. Which he wasn't, taking out one of his remaining grenades. Letting it cook for a second or two before waking up and tossing it upwards into the hole. Feeling the fire jetting through the hole, baking his back as he walked out of the room. Scowling when he noted the power drain was critical, spinning his pistols on his fingers and returning them to their hoisters. Rolling and lifting one of the dropped rifles at his feet onto his own and kicked it into the air. Sure he could have easily taken them all out with his abilities, yet that would take time, and time wasn't something he had.

Tossing the rifle away once he had cleared the building, there was no sign that Banshee was even on-site. Then again, the amount of firepower that was brought to heel against him told him something or someone had to be here to warrant such protection. Turning his head when he heard the telltale signs of another tank heading right for him. Watching it crashing through the wall of the compound and barrel right towards him. Closing the distance between them, planting his feet, taking hold of the barrel of the 12.77 mm tube of metal. Feeling the floorboards giving way underfoot as he tried to stop its forward momentum.

"Up you go," Aron grunted as he lifted the twenty-ton tank off the ground. Smashing it through the interior walls as his personal sledgehammer in his quest to remodel the place and sent it into the second one who was holding off on firing against his comrade. Spinning around rapidly, his laser bolt sizzled the air as a very stunned Banshee just looked down at the gaping hole in her stomach. Aron thought that for someone supposedly immortal, she would have put up more of a fight than sneaking up on someone. Then again, he knew villains were cowards, and given his focus at the time, he knew she would have launched her attack right then. Looking over at the tank he had just taken out when he noted a slight twitch in her leg.

The metal groaned as he ripped off the turret. Aron wondered if she was crushed to a pulp if her mutation would be able to heal her. The wood splintered, drywall dust filled the air, and insulation rained down as he repeatedly brought the turret down onto Banshee's body. Listening to the metal ping and groan as it slid and tumbled across the courtyard when he tossed his makeshift hammer away like it weighed nothing to him. Almost becoming sick as he watched and listened to how her bones were snapping back into place. He knew she was conscious, given the look of sheer hatred in her eye as she glared at him. As if to say: 'How dare you do this to me?!' Which as you can imagine, Aron thought it was a little humorous, given she was pretty much a bloody pulp on the floor. Still, though, even with the turret beating, he knew it would be only a matter of time before she pulled herself back together. Bringing up his left arm, his fingers moved along the display, siphoning off the power the rifle had gathered before he had cut off its recharge and funneled it into the bazooka.

"Seems I'm just going to have to ensure there's nothing left of you to reform," Aron spoke in a cold, emotionless voice. Watching the fear in her eyes as they widened as he pointed his bazooka right at her at point-blank range. He could hear her scream in his mind as the laser of the weapon burnt away her body only to run out of juice at the woman's pelvis. Noting the suit's power was at five percent, he had Veil switch off the programs that were draining the suit's power. Now that his task was complete, he didn't see the need to have them on. Smiling when he heard the stutter in Veil's voice when he told her he enjoyed talking to her when he declined to power off her link to the suit. Walking out of the now-destroyed compound, admiring his handy work, he just hoped that was enough to render her powers null. Dropping to a knee, knowing he had a hundred miles to get to the rendezvous east of where the complex was located. Feeling his muscles tightening as he readied himself for his leap. Wondering how far he could jump, given how he's never actually tested it out. Within five seconds, Aron was gone from the site, unaware that just feet from where he leapt, a finger twitched.

Aron came in hard as he slammed through the canopy of the trees of the forest he landed in. Brushing off the twigs that were caught in his suit. Amusement washed over him when Veil told him he had leapt over fifteen miles. Turning his body just so that when he lined up his next jump, he would miss damaging property or interrupting civilian traffic by landing in the middle of the road. Plus, he didn't need people figuring out he was within the country. He knew if his parents got word of what had transpired at that complex, he would never hear the end of it.

"This is the place," Sara said, looking out her binoculars as she searched for any sign of Aron.

"Do you think he's been delayed?" asked the agent that traveled with her.

"No, knowing him, he's been here for a few hours waiting on his ride," Sara mused, looking down at the communicator Aron had given heron their first mission together. Wondering if it would even work. "Void? Can you hear me?"

"Affirmative." How Sara's heart swelled at the sound of Aron's voice as it came over the com line.

"We are in location, just waiting on your arrival."

"Ten seconds." That was the only thing he said before Sara saw a black dot flying through the air, getting closer as it did.

"Holy?! Just what did he fight?!" the man muttered as he, along with Sara, took stock of the damage Aron's suit had sustained.

"I don't even want to know," Sara mumbled as she opened the SUV's passenger door, which they were using while in-country. "Void, I'm happy to see you made it out unharmed. It looks like your suit took quite a beating," she said, her eyes running down his body. Knowing it had to be big since normal ammunition wouldn't even pierce the suit.

"Yeah, you're reports failed to mention the four tanks they had."

"Tanks?!" Sara stammered.

"Yep, four of them," Aron answered, holding up four fingers and wiggling them as he did.

"Well, you can debrief me in the car; we best be getting out of here as quickly as we can," Sara gestured to the SUV.

"You didn't bring anything to eat, did you?" Aron asked offhandedly as he slid into the back. "Kind of starving."

"Here, I always bring a power bar along should I need it," the man who was driving said as he held the bar over his shoulder.

"Thanks," Aron said, reaching for it, rolling his mask above his nose, and tearing the wrapper open.

"So, was Banshee there?" Sara asked, peering behind her.

"She was, I don't know if I took her out or not, but she won't be reforming anytime soon," Aron muttered with his mouth full.

"Did you take a video of it so we can assess the situation?"

"Of course," Aron said, rolling his eyes. Taking the tablet, Sara handed him in his other hand. Having Veil link up to it, given the damage done to his HUD. "Here, that's the whole thirty minutes it took to dismantle the compound."

"What?!" Sara exclaimed, knowing that wasn't what they had sent him in there for.

"Did you think I was going to let anyone leave?" Aron asked before inhaling the last of his bar.

"But..."

"If they were all part of Banshee's force, they probably already have criminal records. Plus, they were shooting at me, saw no reason not to return the favor."

"And you're suit?"

"Damage from the tank shells... liked this suit too," Aron grumbled.

"She was moving even after you pummeled her with a tank's turret?!" Sara spoke in a shocked tone.

"Yeah, why I said I thought I took her out. If she can survive a blast at point-blank range from a laser bazooka, I don't know what will kill her, not including the atomization of her whole body. If she returns, I'll finish the job, but I doubt if she can pull herself back together, she would not make herself known for some time."

"I can agree to that; the damage you caused to her compound is rather extensive; I doubt if she can survive that she won't be using that as a base of operations any longer. Highly suspect she will seek elsewhere to work from," Sara mused, after deep consideration of watching the entirety of the video. "In any case, you did what we've asked you to do. I think the General will be satisfied with this. How long will it take you to fabricate a new suit?"

"Few days," Aron answered as the SUV rolled onto the tarmac where a C-10 was waiting to take them back to the States. Being jostled in his seat as the man slowly drove the SUV into the cargo hold. Watching the flight crew hustling to strap the vehicles down, the rear door rose, encasing them in darkness. "I'm going to take a nap," he stated, laying his coat over him as he stretched out along the back seat.

"What are you doing?!" Sara shouted over the roaring wind as Aron lowered the back hatch of the plane.

"Catching my ride, you know how to contact me if you need me," Aron spoke loud enough to hear. Noting the beacon of his wing following behind the plane. Given its size, it barely had a radar outline, so he was sure the pilots had no idea it was out there. "Until then, Agent Honeybell," he said, waving to her before taking the leap out of a perfectly safe airplane.

A smile formed on his lips as Veil maneuvered the wing into position. The wind howled in his ears as he used the friction of the air to position himself over his wing. Taking hold of the edge of the wing to keep him on it while the locking clamps for his feet snapped to, fully securing himself to the platform. Looking to his left, seeing Sara's and the other people who came with her, their faces pressed against the small windows as he came alongside the airplane. Giving them a small wave as his afterburner kicked on, shooting him past the cockpit of the airplane. He did note their startled looks when he flew past them before breaking off and activating his blink drive.

******

When Aron arrived home, the base was silent as a ghost. He noticed the jetcars gone; he wondered where to. Then again, if he knew his family, and he did, they would be out fighting crime. While he could repair his suit, yet given the damage to the smart metal embedded in it, along with a host of other problems, it would just be simpler to create a new one and salvage the thread out of his old one. Turning his head when he heard the elevator doors opening when he was heading to his lab so he could start on his new suit design. A smile formed on his face as he pulled his mask off, ruffling his short auburn hair as he did. Seeing Veil's happy smile on her lips as she carried Henry and Nettie in her arms.

"There're my babies," Aron cooed sweetly at his children, getting a welcome home kiss from Veil. Listening to Nettie giggling as he gave her a raspberry as he held her aloft. His arms wrapped around his neck as Aron held his son against him. "So where is everyone?"

"Protecting the city," Veil answered, reaffirming his suspicions. "Why don't you go play hero," she said with a sneaky smile on her face, knowing Aron hated being a hero. "I'm sure Jill and the others could use a little backup from the new hero on the scene." Aron did not like the smirk on Veil's lips when she said that before leading him off somewhere. Hanging his head when they stood in a little room with only a single mannequin in it, with one table that held six throwing daggers and two tonfas, and that was all. "A hero can't be running around with an arsenal on him like Void does. A hero is meant to preserve life no matter how villainous that life is. I'll have the V-32 sent up. No sense in letting people think Void and this new hero are one and the same."

"You're enjoying this, aren't you?" Aron grumbled as Henry wanted to touch all the neat shiny things.

"Maybe, just a tad bit," Veil admitted. "Oh, I can't wait to see the looks on their faces!" Lightly patting Aron's back as he groaned loudly. "You might bitch and moan, as I've heard numerous of your relatives say. But I know you'll put on that suit."

"And you know this, how?" Aron asked with a pointed look.

"Because you're a good father, you care about all of us, even though Jill and I are children of a different version of you. So I know you will do this for Jill," Veil nodded firmly. "So, get out of that suit and into that one before they head back, and you miss all the fun."

"God, I feel so naked in this thing," Aron spoke after walking out of the room after switching out suits. The black fabric of the suit stretched tightly across his body, and the same red tribal symbol for a falcon was emblazoned on his chest. His six throwing knives were nestled in their holders on the back of his forearms. His tonfas were held in an 'X' pattern in their own holders on the small of his back. He certainly didn't like the fact that all the mask did was cover his eyes, temples, and the side and back of his head, leaving his hair and lower half of his face uncovered. He felt too damn exposed?! What if someone recognized him in the getup?