All Comments on 'Smile'

by Maonaigh

Sort by:
  • 53 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago

Lovely story.

TrueMortTrueMortabout 6 years ago
So worth the wait

I totally loved this, it seems like forever since we had a new story from you, and this was just so good.

Everything I like in a good story, evil baddie, good friends, up and downs. Beautiful ending. :)

Classic Maonaigh.

:)

MoondogAUMoondogAUabout 6 years ago
Another great one.

Loved seeing a new story from you Maonaigh, and it’s another delight. Read it straight through tonight, even with the prospect of work after the Easter weekend looming!

Thanks again; and inspiration to your pen.

jackie_emjackie_emabout 6 years ago
Smile

Kind of nitpicky, I suppose, but Nat King Cole may have sung the song Smile, but he didn't write it. It was written by Charlie Chaplin.

Excellent story otherwise.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago

so many emotions i felt reading this beautiful story , thank you so much for posting here. i really hope to see more of your awesome stories. much love - sarah

blueyes4ublueyes4uabout 6 years ago

Well done,,very very good.

JoyJoy4MeJoyJoy4Meabout 6 years ago

This story definitely put a smile on my face. Thank you Maonaigh.

lespoon1lespoon1about 6 years ago
5+++

Another wonderful story by one of the most gifted writers to grace this site. Anytime I see the name Maonaigh I dive right in the story and greedily gobble it up. Of course, I make sure that I have my box of tissues handy because I know that the glad tears will soon appear. Another group of life-like characters have been created with a smile. Thank you for your stories.

Slurpy29Slurpy29about 6 years ago
Loss of Words

The only thing I can say about this story is, Beautiful. Please keep publishing for us.

stormyeyedonestormyeyedoneabout 6 years ago
Lovely

Such a beautiful story. I loved it!

LinneaLundinLinneaLundinabout 6 years ago
Another lovely tale

Maonaigh always does pathos so well. I always feel what your characters feel. That's a testament to your writing skill and the yarns you spin. Thanks for another great read. Truemort was right; classic Maonaigh.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
Fantastic!

So glad to have a new story from you. A great read as usual. I throughly enjoyed it. Never stop giving us wonderful tales! Many thanks.

Shaima32Shaima32about 6 years ago
Loved it

Loved reading your story, it's well written with plenty of description and your characters seem so real you feel as if you've met them somewhere before. Great to see Frank getting his come uppance as well. There's a few out there like him, I know I've met a few in my time.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
Another Gem

All of your stories have touched me. Thank you for this latest gem.

TSreaderTSreaderabout 6 years ago
A wonderful story!

Thank you so much for sharing this with us! You made me cry, then smile!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
Wow <3

This story was so touching and my heart is beaming right now. Great job!

LimentinaLimentinaabout 6 years ago
Excellent

Lovely story. Really enjoy the distinct voices of the characters and the structure of the narrative.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
Shit

Waste of my damn time. Take a lesson or two in actual storytelling.

stroudlestroudleabout 6 years ago
Couldnt disagree more with anonymous.

We are all entitled to our own opinion i know, but what caused anonymous to say this was shit is beyond me . Judging by the rest of your commentators it is a negative opinion that is not shared.

I loved it , well written and a wonderful tale of friendship and love. Something i think we could all do with more of.

Most definitely a good way of spending my time, reading your wonderful works of fiction.

Also i am proud to put my name on my comments.

HiddenInTheOpenHiddenInTheOpenabout 6 years ago
Another lovely story!

Another one of your lovely stories Maonaigh, I thoroughly enjoyed it, and thank you so much for sharing it with us!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
Other Anon...

...can go eat shit and die! This was a WONDERFUL story!! I still have tears in my eyes as I'm typing.

xx

careythomascareythomasabout 6 years ago
This made me smile...

As I have said to you already, this was just lovely. Thank you for sharing it with us.

RastanuraRastanuraabout 6 years ago
Caring

It sounds like Irene's father sent some comments. Loved the story and the ending. SMILE

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
Lovely story

This story is wonderful, especially loved the astounding plot and character details.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
Another success!

Thanks for another great story. Your work is always excellent but, in my opinion, this was special.

IslandCove

vpettprovpettproabout 6 years ago
Lovely

You have a gift that keeps giving. As to the negative comment, obviously someone looking for a quick sex and blow, pay no mind. I love your story telling and this one is just perfect for with the others.

HiddenInTheOpenHiddenInTheOpenover 5 years ago
I absolutely love this story!

Every now and again, I like to flip back through some of my favorite stories on here, and this one is definitely in the top of that list! Thanks for sharing it with us!

alexwatson62alexwatson62almost 5 years ago
I GENUINELY DO NOT UNDERSTAND SOME PEOPLE ...................

............. "

by Anonymous

04/06/18

Shit

Waste of my damn time. Take a lesson or two in actual storytelling."

WTF was that all about???? Maybe because it wasn`t two big boobed shaven lesbians going at it hammer and tongs from the first chapter?

Or maybe they don`t understand what ROMANCE is?

Either way, personally I thought Irene`s story (since she has featured as a side character before), was well told and we now know the reasons behind her demeanour.

Just shows that there is someone for everyone ........... sometimes it just takes time, oh and the right person and circumstances.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Wonderful story.

I loved this tale and its excellently crafted characters, thank you.

AnyMooseAnyMooseabout 4 years ago
One minor question...

Great story; I know people who have succeeded under similar circumstances. One small question; you couldn't have found a forensic accountant somewhere? That POS Frank didn't live a very flashy lifestyle so if he wasn't in hock to some bookie (seems unlikely), where is all the money? Even after Her Majesty's Government reclaims his ill-gotten gains, pretty sure there is a nice chunk of change left over to help Irene pay for her education. Just a thought.

BillyslateBillyslatealmost 4 years ago
Really Loved Smile!!

I just re-read Smile and enjoyed it immensely, same as my initial reaction when I first read the story. I re-read Smile as a prequel to Face the Music, since my previous reading was more than a year ago past.

This continues being just a beautiful "Romance Story" and I was quite pleased reading it again, easily reinforcing the pleasure & excitement felt during my previous reading.

Definitely a 5*-Star Rating & Now I Am Prepared For "Face the Music"!!!!

paulyepspaulyepsalmost 4 years ago

That was amazing .. you are such a good writer. I love happy endings especially for people who for some reason don’t believe they deserve it. I love Irene, what a great character and Annie for her dedication. Thanks again ! ❤️

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago

Maonaigh, I've seen your name on comments on a lot of stories I've recently read and really liked so we have the same tastes. I really liked this story (5/5). It started really sad but had a great ending. Thank you for taking the time to write this.

J

Only_connectOnly_connectabout 3 years ago

Lovely story!

Hard-hitting and sad in many ways but not over-sentimental. The very brief sex is very well done.

5* of course.

Candy_Kane54Candy_Kane54about 3 years ago

Another lovely story by one of my favorite authors! Loved it. You captured the emotions perfectly. Five stars happily given😘

CeVin_ChienElleCeVin_ChienEllealmost 3 years ago

One of the first (if not actually the first) Maonaigh stories I read when I discovered Lit. It convinced me I'd bloody well read all of the rest of them! (Later, I learned to comment...)

CeVin_ChienElleCeVin_ChienEllealmost 3 years ago

Later still, I learned to favorite. Sigh. The Stones said it best: "What a drag it is..."

dbrok1dbrok1over 2 years ago

Not just this story. I have thoroughly enjoyed each one of your submissions. Please persist!

Oh, we men are not all asshats!

GinnyPPCGinnyPPCover 2 years ago

What a nice story. Thank you for sharing it.

haltwhogoestherehaltwhogoesthereover 2 years ago

Thanks for the wonderful story!

Nerdyqueen94Nerdyqueen94over 2 years ago

I felt like clapping from the point Irene's father was caught. I loved this so much. You have my gratitude for sharing.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

5*+

GaiusPetroniusGaiusPetroniusover 2 years ago

It's amazing that you can take the most incidental, inconsequential character from an earlier story and develop her into a full-fledged human being. What you are thus teaching is that nobody, however incidental, is inconsequential and that every story is sacred.

Thank you again!

TrionyxTrionyxalmost 2 years ago

Very well done. I enjoyed it the second time around just as much as I d I’d the first time.

DessertmanDessertmanalmost 2 years ago

As always I loved this story, you are such a gifted writer.

woodseaveswoodseavesover 1 year ago

Another beautiful, and vey moving story of yours. It almost gets to the point of breaking the reader's heart, before coming to its rescue.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Thank you so much, another well told heart warming story, love all your writing.

FranziskaSissyFranziskaSissyover 1 year ago

Puh another hard topic ...... Violence and parenting ...... The most perverts are abusing children and here specific girls ...... I have no idea how to deal with such pathetic horrible women aor men, but for me being through such a time too i hope Karma may will fit in correct ...... Yes the fear which bloomes in a kid is a horrific emotion ....... So im greatful you gave this tale a wonderul finals, a nurse degree with a marriage , with love and friends

Thank you and ten hearts 💝💝💝💝💝💝💝💝💝💝🍀

okami1061okami1061over 1 year ago

I comment here as I read.

First, thanks for skipping over Barbara. It's more than enough (as far as this story is concerned) to know she was a self-centered selfish bitch. Nothing else to see here, move along.

Second ... well, there's not really a second, other than to say good work.

And ... you're developing a rep here as quite the softy.

FandeborisFandeborisabout 1 year ago

I sit here and wander where to start. First off, the story: moving, heart wrenching, and above all, fulfilling.

Second You took a minor character and made her the main protagonist in your story. You made your character loaded down with the most painful upbringing and turned her into a beautiful woman.

Third is the moral of the story. No matter how closed we become to ‘protect’ ourselves, there are others who will step up and be our friends, open their hearts, and show us we can live. To become what we strive to be, not what the incidents in our life make us think we are.

Thanks for writing!

PurplefizzPurplefizz11 months ago

Damn fine story! To paraphrase Annie, not all of us are bad, there are some good men out here, that hate what the minority are and do, sadly though, we’re judged on that minority, just as Irene did. Really enjoyed this, despite it being a tad bleak in places. 5⭐️ cheers Ppfzz.

Roti8211Chanai643Roti8211Chanai6438 months ago

Another really good Story!

So sad that Moanaigh is no longer able to sharing his wonderful talent!

RIP

FigjamkissFigjamkiss4 months ago

"So sad that Moanaigh is no longer able to sharing his wonderful talent!" 😢 Sorry to hear this but grateful for his talent.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userMaonaigh@Maonaigh
I've been writing semi-pro since the 1960s, most of my stories falling under the blanket heading of weird tales. However, I'd written nothing for 5-6 years because my wife was very ill and disabled and care for her was my priority. Some months after her death in December 2013 ...