Smoke & Mirrors

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

While driving towards my destination, I contacted Amber's office. I explained to her boss our situation and asked that she manage our portfolio in a conservative manner. I asked that if there was ever a request for a withdrawal of funds, that it would take both Amber and my signatures. She placed the request on the account. That should keep those funds safe until a later date.

Over the course of the next 3 months, I explored many new areas. Some were so remote that it took me days of hiking to get to where I wanted to go. The photo opportunities were amazing. When I was back into normal civilized areas, I would check in with Tom to keep him up to date on my locations and future travel plans. He always mentioned how Amber was doing and checked on her quite often. Vickie had taken a motherly role and her and Amber were becoming best of friends. Tom would ask if I had made any permanent decisions without applying too much pressure. I assured him that when I made a decision, I would let him know. I asked if Amber was financially okay and every so often I would transfer some funds into her account to help with the upkeep. There were a few items to fix that Tom would make sure were completed, but they did cost money.

My business was really taking off. There was such a demand for most of my recent photos that it was hard not to work 24 hours a day. My new partner had been doing a great job in selling my stock photos and custom work that he stopped his studio business to focus on mine. Same with the custom framing guy. He was almost exclusively working on my stuff. Those two ended up partnering as well, so the three of us were now sharing in my success.

Amber was consistently sending me emails. At first I was only reading them without much of a reply. Eventually I started to reply a little, but nothing much. I still hadn't talked to her since before her infidelity, not that I didn't want to, but found it hard to figure out what to say.

Over the next 2 months, I kept up with the same pattern of living. I was in amazing shape with all of the hiking, much of it at altitude. I had lost a few more pounds but developed a lot of lean muscle. I had grown a significant beard, but I don't think I will keep that long term. Just easier so I didn't have to shave. My hair was long as well. No haircuts since I left. Not sure anyone would recognize me at this point.

I also made the decision to call Amber. I asked Tom if she was still living in the house and he said she wasn't going anywhere until I had made my decision. Tom cautioned me to not wait too long. Going on 6 months is pushing the boundaries according to him. I missed her dearly and made the call as I sat in my car.

Just hearing her voice as she answered was almost too much for me to handle. "Hello Amber"

"Sam,is that really you? I have missed you so much. I am so sorry."

"Amber, please don't continue to apologize. I heard that in your emails and would like to just talk if you don't mind. How are you? You doing okay?"

"I'm doing okay. I miss you and would love to see you again. I'm not pressuring you to make a decision. Take as much time as you need. I just miss seeing you. Any plans on coming home or let me know where you are and I will come see you?"

"I need to make a decision on coming home or staying here for a few more months. Once winter hits I will be pretty much stuck where I am. It is so remote that once it snows you remain where you are at until spring. I haven't decided what I am going to do yet. I thought I would talk to you first before I made any decisions."

"Thanks for including me in your decision. I will always say to come home, but that is just me being selfish. I don't have that right to ask of you, so whatever you decide, I will be waiting for you."

I could hear her crying and it broke my heart. We talked for a few more minutes before I told her I needed to go. Amber told me she loved me and we hung up the phone. She melted my heart, but I still wasn't sure I trusted her yet.

I talked with Amber a couple more times over the next month before I started to really see the season change from fall to winter. It was fight or flight time. I made the decision to fight. I needed Amber in my life. I called Tom and told him of my plan.

As I started towards home, I contacted my business partners and explained what I wanted to happen. I wanted to setup a public viewing of my best works. I told the guys to fix up the additional space next to the studio and to work night and day to develop and frame all of the items I had sent to them that morning. I gave them the timeframe on when I needed to have this done by and both agreed it would be tight, but doable. I asked them to meet with a marketing firm to get the word out so that we would have a full house for the opening. We hung up the phone with a set plan and date.

I had one more favor to ask of Tom. I wanted Amber to be at the opening, but I didn't want her to know I was coming back. I asked to have the marketing team come up with a moniker for the gallery name. I wanted it called Smoke and Mirrors based upon the photo I took the night I discovered Amber's infidelity. I asked them to create an invite to be used for all kinds of purposes, but the most important was to make sure Amber received it as well.

As I pulled into town, I went straight to a barber for a shave and haircut. There was quite a difference when I walked out of the shop. I looked close to how I had left. I went out and bought a new outfit; nothing too fancy, but one that fit my style. I drove to Tom's house and asked if he knew if Amber was going to be there tonight. Tom said that Vickie is going to pick her up and they would attend together. I thanked Tom for everything they had done for me over the past few months. I owed him a lot and promised to make this up to him and Vickie.

I arrived at the studio and quickly looked over the displays. They were amazing. I rearranged a few of the pictures to fit my eye. I also placed the picture of the smoke and mirrors under a light in the back of the studio. It was showtime.

Amber's Perspective

Vickie picked me up for the gallery viewing. I didn't know who the artist was, but thought it a great way to take my mind off of things. My calls with Sam were going great, but I hadn't heard from him in a couple of weeks. I was afraid he was going to spend the winter away from me. My heart ached every time I thought that might happen.

We arrived at the gallery. Smoke and Mirrors was an unusual name as it didn't mention the artist anywhere. I immediately thought that Sam would have loved to be here looking at the amazing pictures. The photographer was very talented. As we walked through the gallery, I started to think that the way the photos were taken came really close to what I always saw in Sam's work. Vickie kept looking at the pictures and then looking at me. Just as I was going to question her about what was going on, I saw the picture of the smoke and mirrors. I knew it was Sam's work. The picture of the mirror was undeniably mine. The mirror was an unusual shaped mirror that I haven't seen anywhere else since I bought it years ago.

I started scanning the crowd looking for Sam. I was trying not to get my hopes up in case he wasn't here, but that was turning out to be impossible. As I was turning, I heard the shutter of a camera. I kept turning and standing behind the camera was Sam. I was torn with standing there or running up to him to give him a hug. Vickie pushed me forward and I kept going until I was hugging Sam. Best of all, Sam was hugging me back. I was crying, but these were happy tears. Sam pushed me away. "Can you go somewhere with me to talk?"

Sam's Perspective

I grabbed Amber's hand and slowly we walked to the studio attached to the gallery. There was a conference room that we sat down in as I looked at Amber. She looked amazing. Even with the tears, she still could capture my heart with her beauty. I thought again that she would look great in an old sweatshirt and jeans or dressed up for a night on the town.

"I have missed you. I want to say some things and then I will let you talk. I have to get them out before I lose my nerve."

Amber shook her head for Sam to proceed. "Amber, you have taken my breathe away three times. The first was when we met at the park. The last one was tonight when I saw you in the gallery. I will remember both of those until the day I die. The second one I have been trying to forget these past few months, which has been easier as the time has progressed. I still think of that night seeing you in bed with Brian and Lisa and I think that image will also stay with me until I die. I am trying to move past that night, but it has been hard. I am also trying to figure out if I can trust you again. It is so easy to say that we can trust each other, but so hard to actually make that commitment. I know I am willing to try if you are. I can't guarantee that we won't run into some struggles along the way, but you have to commit to me that you will try to work them out with me. We need to communicate and this type of thing can never happen again. I can't do this again. I'm willing to make a go of it with you again if you will have me."

I pulled out the necklace with my mother's ring and offered it to Amber. Without saying a word, Amber slipped her necklace off from around her neck and placed in along side of mine. She pushed the two pieces of the heart together to form a single heart. The two wedding rings were laying side by side as well. Our heart was complete again.

Epilogue

We are still making a go of things between the two of us. Amber has given up drinking except for the occasional glass of wine. She is taking no chances on this ever happening again. I have also committed to not traveling as much. When I do, most of the time I take Amber with me and we use it as her vacation from work. When she can't come with me, Vickie stays with her in the house more as a safety net, but they have become great friends so it is some girl time for the two of them. I'm not sure if Vickie did this on her own or if Amber asked her to stay with her to make sure there is no issues to question her fidelity. Either way, it has been nice for the two of them.

As for Brian and Lisa, neither of us has seen or heard from them. I thought I had seen them in a grocery store one morning, but whomever they were they made a fast escape before I was certain. Either way it didn't bother me not to see them.

My studio and gallery are doing great. We have hired a couple of photographers and have them traveling for the advertisement work. They have learned quite a bit from me and their photos are almost as good as mine. Just a boost to my ego as their photos are great. The success has made it easy for me to stay at home.

One last update to provide, Amber and I are expecting our first child. Neither of us care if it is a boy or a girl, but we decided to name them after Tom and Vickie depending on what we have. It is our way of thanking them for all the help they provided during our struggles.