Smoke on the Water Ch. 04

Story Info
Conclusion; Orange Order walk; Policeman's Ball.
7.4k words
4.77
5.3k
6

Part 4 of the 4 part series

Updated 06/11/2023
Created 12/09/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This story is part of an ongoing series. The chronological order of my stories is listed in WifeWatchman's biography.

Feedback and constructive criticism is very much appreciated, and I encourage feedback for ideas.

This story contains graphic scenes, language and actions that might be extremely offensive to some people. These scenes, words and actions are used only for the literary purposes of this story. The author does not condone murder, racism, racial language, violence, rape or violence against women, and any depictions of any of these in this story should not be construed as acceptance of the above.

***

Part 22 - Patrol of Honor, Patrol of Courage

Detective Parker turned and stood in front of one of the desk and said "Detective Laurer, would you please come with us?"

Joan's induction was more of a surprise than 'Ice Cube' Perry's, so there were a few gasps before the applause started up. But once it did, it was strong applause.

And no one was more surprised than Joan herself. She looked almost dazed as she got up and followed Teddy into the hallway. She was placed in the line behind 'Ice Cube', and they were marched into the Main Conference Room.

"Congratulations, young whippersnappers!" the Sheriff said happily as they came inside. "We don't tell the results, but you all had very strong numbers, and the TCPD has once again chosen very wisely. Mr. Buchannan, I just called your wife and told her that you have patrol duty tonight. Ice Cube, Joan, do you have anyone we need to call?"

"No sir." said J.J. Perry.

"Er, yes sir." said Joan. "Shane O'Brady and I were going out to dinner."

"Sorry to mess up your love life." I said with mock acerbity. Then I grinned and said "I'll let O'Brady know, and tell him to come on over and see what the Orange Order is about in this here County..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Ladies and gentlemen, the Police Chief and Police Commander!" announced Lt. Commander Teresa Croyle to the gathered assemblage in the Main Auditorium. The Police Force came to attention as the Chief strode in, followed by me.

"At ease, take your seats." the Chief said. "Commander Troy, would you like to say a few words before I introduce the initiates?"

"Thank you, sir." I said as I stepped up to the podium. I paused a second, then said "It has been one hell of a year. Police Departments here and all over the Nation have been tested like never before. Politicians have tried to use you as pawns in their games, the Press has vilified you, lied about you, and you've had to put your lives on the line to stop ginned-up violent hatred that swept through our cities. And I am very proud to say that the Town & County Police rose to every challenge."

Applause started up and then grew. After a moment I said "I know that for some of you it was very tough. Your personal and political beliefs may not have been in line with what we asked you to do. But every one of you upheld your sacred oath to this Police Force and your brothers and sisters in Blue. You did your jobs. And because you did your jobs, there is no doubt in my mind that you saved lives."

Your Iron Crowbar: "You saved property, and businesses, and in doing so you saved the livelihoods of many people. And you did this while being physically attacked by violent agitators that the Press called (air quotes) 'peaceful', and being verbally attacked by that rabidly corrupt, dishonest Press that said every ugly thing about you that they could."

Do you get the idea that I truly despise the Press?

Your Iron Crowbar: "And because you did your duty and did your jobs, and did your jobs very well, the Town & County Police showed the Nation and the World that good can overcome bad, that the Rule of Law can be maintained, that violent anarchy does not have to be tolerated! Unlike cesspools like Wilmington, Delaware, we showed the World what should be done, and how it should be done."

I finished up: "I am extremely proud of you, and proud to be one of you. And I salute you." I came to the position of attention and rendered a crisp hand salute to my Police Officers.

The Force rose as one in a huge standing ovation. As I lowered my hand from my temple, the Chief came up to the podium, and I yielded it to him.

"I could not have said that better. So I won't try." the Chief said. There were some chuckles in the audience, and the Chief said "I totally agree with what Commander Troy just said, and I appreciate the job you have done this year. And now, let's introduce the Officers that you have voted into the Orange Order..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I broke even on the bets during the initial ceremony at the Junction Station Depot. Joan and J.J. Perry remembered to take their lanterns when given the potty break, but Kevin Buchannan did not, and had three minutes at half-bow imposed upon him in restitution. I thought Perry would take his lantern and no one bet against me; Ice Cube's attention to detail was already the stuff of legend. But I thought Joan would forget hers, and my three Angels cleaned me out on that.

As we drove in vans and Police vehicles back to Headquarters, I got on my Police iPhone and called in for status reports. Terry Halston replied: "Our drones are showing a buildup of black-shirted people on the side roads that lead into MLK Jr. Avenue, mostly across from the Jasmine club. There are no Press vans with logos, but there are two unmarked vans, one of them in a lot off Leon Street." I remembered that Leon Street was where T-Square's 'Regiment' member Holden had been murdered. (Author's note: 'Knights of the Round', Ch. 01.)

Halston: "The other van is in the parking lot of an abandoned bowling alley on the west end of MLK Jr. Avenue, near where it intersects with Riverside Drive. Commander Croyle has already sent two Patrol cruisers to intercept it and check it out, and they'll stay there to be available when the Patrol of Honor goes by there."

"Sir?" I heard Lt. Mary Milton's voice as it came on the line. "We're picking up fresh movement. There were a bunch of people on Campus, and they're crossing University Avenue and walking down MLK Jr. Avenue from the east. They're wearing red and green shirts, but I don't think it's to celebrate Christmas..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The sun had set, and the last fires in the western sky were fading as the Patrol of Honor began at the southwest corner of Courthouse Square. Townspeople had come out to watch, and were lined up along the outside of the four streets that composed the Square. By way of contrast, the rooftop of the building at that same corner was the one KXTC used for its morning broadcasts, and that roof was empty right now. KXTC had no interest in showing citizen support of the Police.

As the walk started, many of the Citizens turned on the lights of their smartphones, creating a sea of well over a thousand Points of Light. Along with the festively colored Holiday decorations on the shops and some of the other building on the Square, it was a beautiful sight.

After walking around the Square three times, we headed south on Riverside Drive. Yes, 'we'. I was walking with them, as were other Orange Order members. We were armed and armored, as were Captain Thompson and the initiates. Lt. Commander Teresa Croyle was walking next to me. It would have been easier to stop sap from running in trees than to really try to put her on Desk Duty.

I had earbuds, which work by encrypted WiFi, and was getting reports from Intel. "We've got a lot of people in black 'Black Lives Matter' pullovers on MLK Jr. Avenue, right in the middle near the Jasmine club." I told Teresa after getting a report from Halston.

"And further east," she replied, "we have a lot of younger people in red and green shirts. Like Mary said before: nice Christmas colors, but those Haters don't believe in Christmas. I'm more worried about them then the Black Lives Matter people. So, sir, what is your plan?"

"You'll see." I said. "In fact, it's happening now."

As we got to MLK Jr. Drive and turned left (east) on it, someone came up to us.

"Hello, Iron Crowbar. May we join you?" said the Reverend Dr. Joseph E. Williams, pastor of the A.M.E. Church, who had served on the Charter Commission with me, and who some believe was cheated out of his rightful Council primary win by Edgar Silas. He was wearing a blue t-shirt over warmer clothing that included his clerical collar.

A group of 40 people in blue sweatshirts had appeared on the sidewalk. Thirty of them were black, and of ages ranging from the 50s to the 20s. The other ten were Hispanic and White. I recognized several as being members of the Black Business Council.

And in front of them was a young black woman in a blue 'RE-fund The Police!' shirt. She was Katina Jones, who'd done well but still had lost in the General Election for that same Council Seat Dr. Williams had been cheated out of.

"Glad to have you." I said. Then I raised my voice a bit and said "All of you, you need to understand that this is going to be dangerous, and if the Enemy attacks, I may not be able to help you before any reinforcements arrive."

"It was dangerous for Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., too!" Katina said loudly. "But his message has been corrupted by racist politicians that are doing Blacks more harm than good! I CHOOSE THE DANGER!"

The others in the group cheered, and fell in on each side of our column. Dr. Williams was to my left and Katina was to my right, and they put their hands through my arms as I held my orange crowbar with both hands. Father Alberto Romano, wearing his Police uniform and overcoat (and armor underneath), and his clerical collar, fell in next to Teresa, who was right behind us.

"Martin Luther King, Jr. was a great American." I said. "I admire his courage, and I admire your courage tonight." Then, looking around and seeing the commitment in everyone's eyes, I said "Let's do this."

We began walking forward.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

As we approached the Jasmine club, walking right down the middle of the (closed off) street, we could see the mass of people on both sides of the road, and some of them in the road, as if to block us off.

And I finally spotted the Press cameras, which had suddenly appeared from the north. KXTC is getting better at hiding before they ambush us, I thought to myself.

A Police cruiser was ahead of us, it's blue lightbar flashing. It was getting closer and closer to the people on the road. I could feel the tension in everyone... both our group walking up the street, and many of the people opposing us.

"They have no weapons." I said, loud enough for Teresa to hear me. "Keep calm and keep walking." A lot of the tension left our group upon hearing that.

And sure enough, just before the lead Police cruiser got to the people blocking the road, I heard a voice call out "Let 'em through." I recognized it as Eldrick X. Weaver. He and Edgar Silas were on the sidewalk, right at the place where the line in the road met the line on the sidewalk. The people on the street moved back to the sidewalk. But as they did, they all began singing:

"We shall overcome, we shall over-commme,
We shall over-come... some.. dayyy...
Deep in my heart, I do believe,
We shall overcome, some...day..."

"Brilliant." I said quietly to Katina and Dr. Williams as we walked along. "I've gotta hand it to whoever figured that out. The KXTC cameras will be eating that up."

"As long as it's peaceful, I'm good with it." said the Rev. Williams...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

But it was not over. As we walked forward (and uphill, as the road sloped downhill towards the River behind us), the other group of potential agitators got into the road to block us. And they had padlocks on the end of chains, tire irons, crowbars (how dare they), and baseball bats. They intended to attack us, with the intent to do as much harm to us as possible... including ending our lives.

I saw Dr. Lionel Carmela, a 'pirate' patch over his left eye socket, standing next to to KXTC reporter Pat Stellum on the north side of the street, and three KXTC cameras, two on the north side and one on the south side of the street, in front of T-Square's club, 'Rhythms & Rap'. The look of eager anticipation of violence was unmistakeable on both Carmela's and Stellum's faces.

"I don't think we're in Kansas anymore." I said quietly, which made Katina laugh despite her fear.

"What do you want to do, sir?" I heard Teresa say behind me. "Do we need to call in reinforcements?"

"Not yet." I called out as I half-looked over my shoulder. "We must wait until they attack before we can counterattack, or it won't be legal."

"I hope you have a reeeeeeeal good plan in mind, sir." Teresa said. "It's going to be ugly, and a lot of our blue-shirted friends aren't armed nor armored."

But I didn't have a plan. All we could do was press forward, and react to the violent Haters when, not if but when they attacked.

The Haters did not move out of the road as the lead Police cruiser approached. thirty feet... twenty feet... ten feet... I knew that if and when the vehicle stopped, and we had to stop, that would be the moment the Enemy would attack us. Katina and Dr. Williams both felt me tense my arms.

And then... people starting pouring out of 'Rhythms & Rap'. Many were Black, some were White, and they were all dressed in black, including unadorned black leather jackets. They also had tire irons and black crowbars. And they were ambushing the Haters from their flanks, and from behind.

The cowards broke as the wave of Good Guys slammed into them like a tidal wave, and they ran in all directions. Carmela and Stellum had also retreated to the north, and many of the white agitators, mostly wearing green shirts, surrounded Carmela in hoops of protection. The Good Guys did not pursue them as they matriculated their way down MLK Jr. Avenue and north along a side street.

The black-clad group of people went back to the Rhythms & Rap parking lot, and our group moved forward. As we passed by the club, I saw two men standing near the front door of the club, surrounded by the Regiment: T-Square... and Town & County Sheriff Antonio Griswold.

This had not been my doing. It was all the Sheriff's doing... and T-Square's. Maybe him being the uncle of my daughter was a reason he'd helped, but I suspected it was more. And I wondered again what the bond between Our Sheriff and legendary rapperT-Square truly was...

Part 23 - Policeman's Ball

The main danger over, our blue-shirted friends fell out of the formation as we turned north on University Avenue's west side. Teresa and I also fell out, and I shook every one of their hands as I praised them for their courage in what they had done tonight.

"How do you do it, Mr. Crowbar?" one young black man asked. "You confront the violence every time. How do you overcome the fear?"

"Fear..." I replied, "... is a luxury I cannot afford." I heard murmurs in the group as they absorbed that information...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The Patrol of Honor went north, then turned west on Jefferson Avenue and walked back to Riverside Drive. They stopped at the parking lot of Police Headquarters for some soup and hot chocolate, and there was plenty for all of the Officers that had been protecting the group both visibly and from the shadows, courtesy of Chief Moynahan.

The group started up again and went east on College Street, then west on Elm Street, moving ever northward. At 4:30am, they headed south on University Avenue, all the way to Junction Station Depot. Early threads of dawn were in the eastern sky as they arrived.

Inside were me, Teresa, and the Sheriff. We'd set up for the induction ceremony, then the Sheriff went to sleep and Teresa and I slept in shifts. As the Walkers neared the Depot, we woke up the Sheriff and began cooking breakfast. The standard meal was eggs and beer, but the Sheriff and I grilled steaks for all the Members, old and new, as well.

After pinning the Inner Circle medal on Captain Thompson and the Orange Order medals on Joan, Ice Cube, and Kevin, we sat down to eat and talk.

Cindy Ross was with us. She had been forbidden street duty, and I would have chained her pregnant butt to a desk if I'd had to. But she did right by her unborn child and helped monitor things in the Intel Center.

"That got really scary for a moment." Cindy said to me. "We could see a lot more Haters waiting out of sight of the road, and if the first group had attacked, the next wave probably would have, as well."

I replied: "What you may not have known is that we had undercover State Patrol Troopers mixed in with the first group, Weaver and Silas's group. They'd found out that Weaver and Silas had plans to scale back and not physically attack us unless we did something first. And when they saw Katina and Dr. Williams and their group ringing us, Weaver had his guys pull back."

I continued: "What I did not know was that Carmela was putting together a mob of his Socialist and Climate Change thugs, and they were going to attack us, and then Pat Stellum would chant that we started it and attacked them."

Then I lowered my voice, and in an excellent Darth Vader imitation I said: "I had no idea that certain Klingon Warriors had enlisted help to crush the Rebellion." Our Sheriff was sitting to Cindy's left, and his mustaches were twitching most merrily as he pretended not to listen.

"Good job, Boss." Cindy said, patting Griswold on the shoulder.

"Good asskissing skills, Chief Deputy." replied the Sheriff affably. "Yeah, T-Square got wind of that and called me. I decided not to tell you, partly to give you 'plausible deniability', and partly because you were busy. And that was a great job on your part getting Dr. Williams and Katina and their group to help us."

"Those were some brave people to have done that." said Captain Damien Thompson, who was black. "Not just the physical danger. With the 'Cancel Culture' that is going on, their lives and their businesses could be attacked."

I said: "True. But Katina really wanted to do that, and to stand up to the BLM people." I leaned back in my chair and continued: "Despite what the rabidly corrupt and racist Mainstream Media try to make people think, there are a lot of Blacks that don't want any part of the violence and chaos, and want to live in peace with their neighbors of every ethnicity. Katina is a leader and a crusader for those that want peaceful solutions to the problems. And the corrupt slugs of the Mainstream Media will hate her all the more for that. They don't want peace, they don't want solutions."

"I hate to say it, sir," said Thompson, "but she's in a very small minority of the Minority. More and more Blacks are becoming more and more frustrated. And many who never would've considered violent protests before are now out there on the streets. Like Breonna Bryant."

As I peered at him, he said: "Don't get me wrong, sir; she deserved to be tried for aiding and abetting that filthy rapist and murderer Jacquez Wilson. But she's an example of where the Black Community as a whole is moving towards. And agitators like Stacey Jacobs and Maxine Watts are using that to their political advantage."

I nodded as I absorbed that information...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Saturday, December 5th. The tradition continued.

I had been watching various Conference championship games at the Mountain Nest. The next thing I knew was opening my eyes to see a handsome Police dog lying on my chest looking at me. Standing next to the sofa, hovering over me, was the dog's owner.

"Wake up, Daddy." Carole said. "It's time to get ready for the Po-leece-man's Ball."