Smoke on the Water Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Hi Fussbudget. Hi Bowser." I said. I saw on the clock on the fireplace mantle that it was 5:00pm.

"Better get going, Daddy." Carole 'advised'. "Mommy wants to get ready, too, and it will take her over an hour." I began laughing at that, which caused Bowser to whimper questioningly. I gave him skritchins...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

7:30pm, Saturday, December 5th. We formed the receiving line at the entrance to the ballroom at the Civic Center. Corporal Penny Scott was at the front, and her job was to get the name of the persons coming up to the line and tell the Sheriff. Our Sheriff would then be the first to formally greet the arrivals.

Next in line were Police Chiefs Sean Moynahan and Molly Evans, continuing their yearly tradition of attending together. Following them were Laura and me. Laura was wearing a simple and tasteful black dress and high heel pumps that threatened to embarrass me if my little iron crowbar responded to what I was seeing.

And for the first time, next in line were Deputy Chief Tanya P. Muscone and her husband, FBI Special Agent in Charge Jack Muscone. Jack was doing a nice job of greeting the Officers and their spouses, almost as if he were running for political office or something.

Next was Lt. Commander Teresa Croyle and her husband Todd Burke, who was charming all of the women that came through the line. After them were Lt. Commander Ted Orosco of Internal Affairs and his wife.

Next in line was Hizzoner Mayor Daniel Allgood and his lovely wife Melina. She was in a dark blue dress that also threatened to cause some 'responses' in the red-blooded heterosexual men in the room, and the sheer dark blue stockings and high heel pumps she wore only added to very attractive effect. The year before, a lot of black Officers left the line before greeting the Mayor and his wife, but this year they behaved better and went through to the end.

And then the Council Members that had deigned to attend were in line. Edward and Stephanie Steele, J.P. Goldman and his wife, then Ian McGhillie and Selena Steele, which surprised me as Ian McGhillie was a widower.

"J.P. and I sort of set up McGhillie with Selena, so that she could attend and he would have a date." Edward Steele had told me earlier. "Selena's not really dating anyone, so that'll work out for one evening."

Last were Dagmar Schoen and John Colby. They'd been having a sexual affair for years, and had finally divorced their spouses (or the spouses divorced them) and were now officially a couple.

First through the line? Deputy Chief (Ret.) Cindy Ross and her spouse Callie Carrington. As I hugged Cindy I whispered "You're at the front table with us." and she nodded.

Senior Officers could cut to the front of the line, but virtually never did. One exception had been Tanya, who was all but pushed to the front of the line by the Officers so she wouldn't have to stop and start her wheelchair every few feet. Now we began having Officers of every rank and their spouses come through.

All the MCD and Vice Detectives had gotten in line as a group. Lt. Micah Rudistan and his fiancée came through; they were getting married in the Spring, and it was about time, I told him. Joanne Warner and her husband, Hospital Administrator Seth Warner came through, and said that Tony and Leo were doing well.

I wondered who Captain Claire Michaels would bring, and was mildly surprised that EMS Chief Leonard R. Cordell was escorting her. Of less surprise to me was Detective Joan Laurer's date: Shane O'Brady was wearing his formal Pottsville Police uniform. "That's going to go somewhere." Laura whispered to me. I nodded vigorously in agreement

Officer Kevin Buchannan and his wife came through, and exchanged warm hugs with Laura and me. They both said their son was doing very well.

Senior Sergeant Roy McGhillie and his wife Becca Larrington McGhillie came through, followed by Lieutenant DeLong and his wife. Captain Hugh Hewitt did not have a date when he came through. Hmmm, I thought to myself. And yes, Captain Abram and his wife were in attendance and came through the line.

EMS Assistant Chief Zoe Singer came through.. with SBI Inspector Britt Maxwell. Britt and Laura did not speak to each other, and Britt made sure to give me a warm hug in front of my wife. Fire Chief Davies and his fiancée Tina Felton came through; they were getting married this Spring, also. My weekend calendar all Spring was going to be full, what with all the wedding invitations Laura and I were getting.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

From the perspective of the head table at the front of the side of the ballroom with the dinner tables, I could see that only the Republican Council Members had accepted the invitation to attend... except for Reginald B.F. Lewis and his wife. They did not sit with the other Council Members, but with Franklin Washington and his (white) wife Susie, Theo Washington and his wife, Captain Damien Thompson and his wife LaTasha, who was an Auxiliary Officer and part of our Intel Branch, and Paulina Patterson and... to the great surprise of many... her brother T-Square, who was wearing a well-fitting dark gray suit and of course his trademark shades.

"I wonder why Reginald B.F. Lewis attended." I said to Cindy, who was sitting to my left.

Cindy said "I heard that since this is his last month on the Council, he'd come this final time. And do you have any idea what he plans to do next?"

"He has a lot of options." I said. "He could teach at the University, in their Law School, Criminal Justice School, or Political Science Department. And no, he's no Carmela crony, so I don't think he'll do that. He also could be named the Black Business Council President, or be part of any number of political PACs or groups, or just do outright lobbying work."

"And T-Square?" Cindy asked. "Why is he here?"

After dinner, the speeches began. Mayor Allgood went first. "It has been another year of remarkable achievements for the Town & County Police. You have stood up to violence and political attacks that have ravaged cities like Chicago, Minneapolis, and of course the putrid wasteland that is Wilmington, Delaware."

You'd think I helped Daniel write this speech... and I did, especially the cheap shot about the putrid wasteland that is Wilmington, Delaware, a city from which putrid, corrupt politicians come. But I digress...

Daniel: "You have enforced the Rule of Law and protected good citizens against hatred-filled violent criminals, and done so despite suffering physical injuries and the dishonest lies of a rabidly hateful Press. I just want to let you know that I am not Mayor of Chicago, I am Mayor of this Town. And unlike the total lack of support the Mayor of Chicago has shown for the Chicago Police, I am here to tell you that as long as I am Mayor of this Town, you have and will continue to have my complete support."

The standing ovation for Mayor Daniel Allgood was tremendous, and lasted a full minute. After it finally dissipated and he sat down, the Chief called upon me to speak next.

"I am not making the toast tonight." I said. "We're going to leave that to a more special moment. What I'd like to do tonight is thank a man who has endured a lot as he stood behind us and had our backs. And that man is our twice-legitimately-elected Mayor, Daniel Allgood."

I felt a little bit of tension in the room as I said: "People forget that Daniel Allgood was once one of us in the TCPD, and his leadership in Internal Affairs kept some seriously bad things from happening in the past. And he has not forgotten that past as he supported us as our Sheriff and then as our Mayor."

I went on: "He has been relentlessly and dishonestly attacked by the rabidly corrupt Press, and the Federal Government even filed a dishonest lawsuit, based upon false allegations, for the political purpose of trying to get him defeated in last month's election. They failed to beat him this year, too."

I finished up: "And as other mayors throw their Police Departments to the dogs, our Mayor stood solidly behind all of you as you enforced the law and protected people and businesses in this County. So I hope you will join me in saying Thank you, Mayor Allgood, for all you have done for us!"

And they did join me in another strong round of applause for Mayor Allgood.

After that, the Sheriff spoke, adding his thanks to us for a well done job the past year. Then the Chief said "And we're saying goodbye to a great Police Officer tonight. Commander Ross, we are sorry to see you goooo."

"I'm not!" the Sheriff said loudly. "I'm getting her to come work for me!" The room erupted in laughter, which only added to the emotion that was to follow. The Chief had Cindy come up to the lectern and give her speech, and she waddled up.

"Thank you, Chief." Cindy said. She paused to look over the room for a moment, and then said "When I came to the TCPD a decade ago, it was an entirely different place than it is today. We had good Officers then, and we also had a few rotten apples in the bunch."

Cindy: "But we had some good leadership come in and step up their game, and step up all our games. Great leaders like Teresa Croyle, Don Troy, Chief Sean Moynahan, and Chief Griswold, now our Sheriff. And let me practice my asskissing skills by saying that I loved working for Chief Griswold soooo much that I'm going to work for him in the Sheriff's Department now!"

After much laughter and some applause, Cindy said: "And I'd like to think I accomplished a few things here and there. After all, I did win a record six Police Boxing Matches Freestyle Championships!" She then turned to me with three fingers up on each hand and said "That's six titles!" Then she turned to Teresa and said "SIX!"

Everyone burst out laughing, including me. As the laughter turned to applause, Teresa pointed two fingers at her eyes, then at Cindy's. It was always 'game on!' where the Police Boxing Matches were concerned.

Then things got real. Cindy said "It has been my honor and pleasure to see you, all of you, step up your game and become the very best Police Force anywhere. You have weathered the storms and the ill winds of people that hate you for being who you are, who want to destroy you for being who you are. You have risen to every challenge and excelled. And I know you will continue to, no matter what challenges lie ahead. If I'm not with you in person, know that I am with you in spirit, always."

She took up her wine glass and raised it, and everyone stood up as well. "And so," Cindy said, taking up her wine glass and raising it, "it is my honor to toast the greatest Police Force on this earth, the Town & County Police! TO THE TCPD!"

"TO THE TCPD!!" toasted the entire room...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

As the dancing (and drinking) portion of the evening got into full swing, I danced mostly with Laura, and also danced with Paulina and Molly. Todd danced with Laura, also, and she persuaded the Sheriff to dance with her, as well.

I also went around to the various tables and spoke to as many Officers and their spouses as possible. And as I stopped by the bar, Reginald B.F. Lewis came up to me.

"Buy you a drink, Councilman?" I said. The drinks were free, of course.

"Sure, bourbon and water." said Lewis. I got a Scotch and soda (Johnnie Walker Red Label Scotch, I suspected). "Here's to you, Iron Crowbar." he said. We clinked glasses and sipped our drinks, then Lewis said "Yeah, Commander, we haven't always agreed, and sometimes haven't gotten along. But I gotta say now, I admire your courage. Not many people have the stones to stand up to the 'woke' wave like you did."

"Thank you, Councilman." I said. "So what are you planning on doing?"

"Run for Mayor." Lewis said. Then he guffawed and said "Just kidding. I don't know what I'm going to do. Corey Coons has talked to me about being on his staff, and I've gotten feelers from the Black Business Council. And I've had some people approach me about running for District Attorney against Miriam Walters."

"Oh, you really want to work that closely with me?" I said, only half jokingly.

"Har!" barked Lewis. Then he became serious. "No, I don't want any part of that. And what the people that contacted me want, is someone as D.A. to implement Bail Reform, let people out of jail with no bail. But that is damned stupid policy. It might work in New York City and Chicago, but it wouldn't work here."

"Damn right, it wouldn't." I said. "And I suspect that as a political policy, it will backfire on the Democrats nationwide..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

As Todd danced with Laura, Teresa and I sat and made observations of people.

"Joan and Shane are getting along well." Teresa said. "But she's keeping him at bay a little bit."

"It's early days in that relationship." I said. "She invited him to the Ball to have a date, but they're not really at this stage yet."

Teresa said "Check that out." I looked over to see Captain Hugh Hewitt dancing with Selena Steele. I was reminded of how their one night stand saved Selena's life years before. (Author's note: 'Case of the Black Widow', Ch. 04.)

"Just like old times, eh?" I said musingly.

Teresa: "And then some. Hugh Hewitt came alone, and for a while was sitting alone at the bar... watching Claire Michaels. They were dating before she left for L.A., you know."

"I do remember." I said, knowing that Claire had left for L.A. partly because of the end of that relationship. "Looks like Hugh has moved on, the way he and Selena are looking at each other."

"Maybe." said Teresa. Then she got up and said "I need to go rescue your wife from my husband, or else you'll be going home with me tonight." She did so, and a moment later Laura came back alone. Rudistan and his fiancée also came over.

"So who's going to propose to whom tonight?" I asked Rudistan, who'd proposed to his fiancée at the previous Ball."

"I don't know, sir." he said with a mischievous grin. "Daniel Patrick of the SWAT Team has gotten pretty serious with his girl, but I think he's going to wait and give her her ring for Christmas."

"What are you looking at, Darling?" Laura asked.

"A triangle, if I don't miss my guess." I said. I pointed out Hugh and Selena slow dancing... and Claire Michaels looking over at them from time to time, and clearly not happy about it...

Part 24 - Some Things Never Change

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" shouted the redheaded MILF reporterette at 7:00am, Monday, December 7th, from the corner of MLK Jr. Avenue and Riverside Drive. "The Town & County Police deeply offend the Black Community once again!"

After the hard-charging intro music, Bettina began: "In an insulting display of utter disrespect for People of Color, the Town & County Police marched right through the primarily Minority district along MLK Jr. Avenue! After months of Police brutality against Blacks, violently shutting down peaceful protests and suppressing the peaceful voices and free speech rights of minorities, the TCPD rubbed salt in the wound by marching right through the heart of the Black Community in an arrogant display of Police power!"

As carefully edited and spliced footage was shown, which did its level best to show the Police Orange Order walk but not show the blue-shirted people walking with us, Bettina said "Let's go to Carl Lemay for more on this unbelievable story. Carl!"

"That's right, Bettina!" said Carl Lemay, reporting from about 20 feet away from Bettina, but at an angle that made it look different. "A group led by Katina Jones, who very badly lost her Council seat race to Edgar Silas, marched with the Police." Footage of Katina Jones and Dr. Williams marching arm-in-arm with Your Iron Crowbar was shown, but at close range so that the others could not be seen.

"Peaceful protesters at the scene sang spiritual songs in response." Lemay said as images of 'Black Lives Matter'-shirt-wearing people on the sidewalk singing 'We Shall Overcome' was shown. Then Lemay said "I have with me Councilman-elect Edgar Silas. Mr. Silas, what about the show of support of the Police by your primary and General Election opponents?"

"That's right, Carl," said Silas. "They were my opponents, and I whipped both their asses at the polls! Joseph E. Williams is a sore loser and a traitor to his race, and Katina Jones is a hanky-headed house negro, a whore that spreads her legs for white men!..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"I wonder how he really feels about them." I said as the Sheriff, Police Chief, Deputy Chief, Operations Commander, and myself drank coffee in the Chief's Conference Room.

"I'm getting sick and tired of the goddamn Press's dishonest reporting." said Teresa. "If we had not gone through there, they'd be reporting we insulted the Black Community by not going through their area. And when we did go through, we're accused of deliberately insulting them by going through."

"There was no way to win that one. I said bitterly. "No matter what we did, the Press was going to attack us. They'll never give us credit for anything good we do. Ever. It's as bad as what they constantly did to Governor Jared for all those years."

"And will doooo to Governor-elect Marsh-ulllll." drawled the Chief. I nodded vigorously in agreement. The Chief went on: "I'm tired of the Press trying so hard to gin up hatred and strife, trying to divide people. But I don't know what we can dooooo about it."

"Besides killing them all, we can't do much of anything." I said, and meant it seriously.

"Crowbar, don't say things like that out loud." the Sheriff admonished me, peering hard at me over his shoulder as he said it.

"You're right sir." I said. "Besides, when Carmela and his Socialist thugs have destroyed the Constitution and imposed Totalitarianism on us all, they'll execute all the reporters. So we won't have toooooo."

"You okay, sir?" Teresa asked, peering at me. "Need some more coffee? Or some of Jerome's Navy coffee?"

"Naah." I said. "I'm just... sick of it all."

"You need another weekend on the lake." the Chief said.

"Look on the bright side, Don." Tanya said. "Carole's class is doing the third grade Christmas play next weekend. That'll be fun to go to."

"Yeah." I said, feeling a little better. "Carole wrote the play herself. She wrote it to try to beat me, but I managed to figure it out. But the school teachers liked it so much they're going to have the class do it as a play."

"Christmas Mystery Theater, with Carole Troy." Tanya said brightly. "By the way, Don, do you have a few moments you can spare Jack this morning? He wants to talk to you about something."

"Sure." I said.

Part 25 - Epilogue

9:00am, Monday, December 7th. Jack Muscone came into my office, and I had Tanya come in as well.

"This should be Dwight Stevens doing this," said Jack, "but he's still being stubborn about not talking to you. We've found out some new things about the Elena Katrina case."

"Let me guess." I said. "It is increasingly looking like her death was the result of a Mob hit more than anything drug-related. Perhaps mobsters associated with... Jerry Morelli?"

Jack looked at me in sheer disbelief. "How in the fuck do you DO it?" he asked.

"It's just a guess." I said. "A very 'edumacated' guess, of course, but a guess for which I have no proof. What I do know is that since the last time I talked to you an Dwight, when I speculated it was a low-level drug gang that killed her, and before the DEA formally took over the case from us, I learned a few things."

Your Iron Crowbar: "First, my people never could find a scrap of anything that showed that a real drug gang was involved in her killing. Second, I have a confidential source that helped put me on the right path... some of those documents found on the chip were transactions by Edward Blassingame and Matthew Willis and others, and they were what could be called the (air quotes) 'laundered' contracts for Mob pro hits. I got onto that one because that bastard Carmela put out a contract on my daughter's life, and now he's seeing only half as good as he used to."