Solace in Emma's Room

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
rebel_code
rebel_code
104 Followers

I sat next to her on the old, dirty futon we had brought with us from our apartment at State.

"Okay, go ahead. I'm listening."

"Tony, I'm afraid I've made a terrible mistake with you. I was unhappy before, but I think now that I blamed it all on you, and that wasn't fair to you at all. I wish I had given us more of a chance. I think we could have worked through things and come out stronger. Do you think there's any way we can go back and try to make it right again, maybe try counseling again? Can we save our marriage after all?"

My mind quickly flashed back to our early days together, all the joy and excitement. That first Sunday together, wandering through the greening campus, our hunger for each other sated for the moment. Our shared life of study and passionate lovemaking as a new couple. That first Saturday in the park here, embarking with hope on a new life. If I said "yes", could it bring all that back? Or even a faded photograph of it with our older and wiser selves somehow superimposed?

God, or the Universe, or Nothing, was not going to make things easy for me. She was sincere; her voice was strained and her eyes were wet. But, damn it all, I had to speak my truth to her straight.

"Dianna, I'm sorry, but you can't seriously expect me to go back now, after all the hell you've put me through. It's been a year and a half of my heart breaking every day, wondering if it was really something I did, if there was something I could have done differently, or if I was just a damaged person and not worthy of anyone's love. Sometimes I could barely do my work. I was just going through the motions behind this dull haze of pain. When you finally left, it hurt bad, but it was a relief too. Like we could at least put it behind us and get on with our lives."

Her tears were flowing now.

"I know," she said, "and I'm sorry. I'm so sorry, Tony. I thought this was worth a try, though."

"I appreciate that you cared enough to try. But it's really too late now. I can't go back, I have to go forward. Di, in some way I'm just starting to figure out, I'll always love you. Maybe someday, after all the wounds are healed, we can sit together like this and laugh about the good times and celebrate what we had. I would like that, but it's going to take some time first."

"That's fair. I would like that too. And I'll always love you, too, even if we can't have it like it was anymore. So, do we go ahead and file the papers and let the healing begin?"

"I think that's the best thing, yes. And I'm sorry too."

"Okay. Well, I'll say good night and let you finish unpacking and get your rest."

We went to the door, hugged each other for an aching moment, said "good night" and she was gone.

I poured myself a drink, put a CD into the player, turned the volume up, and sat down again. The brooding opening strains of Dvorak's Symphony No. 9, "From The New World", filled the tiny apartment. A turbulent crescendo was coming, followed by some more hopeful melodies. Then, the Largo movement would offer up a place of serenity. Tomorrow was a work day, with papers to be reviewed, a seminar to attend, and a dissertation to compose, but I was already unpacked and it was early yet. The world would wait, where nothing seemed permanent, all was in flux, and where that was the price paid for the possibility of surprise.

rebel_code
rebel_code
104 Followers