Solaris - Prologue

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Mia stopped dead in her tracks, Richard Stoll was Noah's father. From what she knew of him he was a powerful divine with Weather manipulation- same as Noah. He was a cold and cruel man from the few times she had seen him at school functions, that was when he attended them. He always looked like he had a permanent scowl on his face. Mia didn't move and continued to listen to her parents talk.

"Rebecca, I have to go in person for this deal. Richard knows full well that he needs my ability for his next project" Eric sighed. "Besides you didn't have a vision of the meeting, just a feeling. Why don't you come with me if you're so worried?"

"While I didn't have a vision, I have a bad feeling, Eric. If you are so set on going then I will come with you" Rebecca said with worry in her voice.

Mia crept back a step but the floor creaked, she silently cursed. She stood up and walked into the kitchen. Her parents were sitting at the kitchen island and both stopped talking as they saw their daughter walk in.

"Hello honeybee! How was the last day of school?" Her father asked in a chipper tone.

Mia smiled at her father "It was good daddy, I am ranked number one in my class"

Her mother smiled brightly at this "Oh Mia that's fantastic! I am so proud, I knew you could do it!"

Mia hugged her parents, grabbed her water from the fridge and asked "So what is Lucas' graduation gift?" Mia's eyes sparkled and she smiled brightly.

"Oh like we trust you with that secret!" Rebecca giggled knowing Mia was awful at keeping secrets.

Mia laughed "Oh come onnn" she drawled.

Her father gave her a wink and said "I guess you will have to wait and see at the party" His face changed then "Tomorrow me and your mother will be home rather late so if you want to stay with Lissa for the night just let Winston know and he will take you over. If not Lucas will be home and we should be home late.

Mia nodded "I think i'll go to Lissa's, her pool is so much better than ours" she said in a joking tone.

Eric gasped ostentatiously "not the pool! Mia you're breaking your old man's heart, I designed that pool with your uncle Chris!" He chuckled.

Rebecca and Mia both laughed at him, "I love you guys, I am gonna go back to sleep. Goodnight"

"Goodnight Honeybee, Love you!" Her father said, her mother hugged her and kissed her forehead.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mia spent the day laying out at Lissa's pool, the two girls had a lazy pool day and were both a little sunburnt by dinner time. Lissa's parents were both architects and enchanters, they both specialized in glamor of the buildings. It was a very complex thing from what Mia understood of their dinner conversation.

"Mrs. Ellis, is it true they are going to be building a new medical school at Solaris?"

"Well things are still in the works, but hopefully by the time you girls will be attending it will be finished" Teresa Ellis smiled at her daughter's friend.

Teresa's phone rang and Teresa excused herself to answer it. A look of shock overtook her face and her mouth dropped open in horror.

"Yes I understand, just a moment" she lifted the phone away from her face "Mia, there has been an accident. I need to take you home right away. Please go collect your things"

Mia's heart sank into her stomach and fear clawed at her throat. She tried to say something, anything but it was like she had glue in her mouth. Mia looked at Lissa's mom who had tears threatening to spill.

"Mom? What's going on? What kind of accident?" Lissa probed.

"We need to leave, please go pack now"

Lissa nodded and grabbed Mia's pale hand and started pulling her to her bedroom to pack. Mia was silent, quickly grabbing her things and throwing them in her bag. She felt numb, she didn't know what had happened but by the way Lissa's mom had reacted she knew it was bad. The conversation she had overheard last night playing over and over again in her head. "Would rather see you dead" her mothers words to her father, or what if something had happened to Lucas. Mia was in full blown panic by the time they reached her home, there was police all around her driveway. As soon as the car reached a stop Mia bolted out of the car and saw Lucas sitting out on the front steps. She ran to her brother "Lucas! What's happening please tell me what's wrong. Lissa's mom said there was an accident, where are mom and dad! What happened!" Mia was hysterical and had tears running down her face as she looked at her brother. His face was solemn and he pulled Mia into a tight hug.

"They're gone Mia." He sobbed to his little sister. Mia's legs gave out and she crumbled in her brother's arms.

"NO! NO! NOOOO! THEY CAN'T BE LUCAS" Mia sobbed. He held her to him as they both cried together.

Winston approached them and then gently hugged the siblings, "come inside we need to discuss some things"

Lucas nodded and led still crying Mia inside to sit with the detective. The man was dressed in a sharp looking suit and introduced himself as Mr. Bernard, he was the one that had arrived on the scene. Mia and Lucas had stopped crying and stared at Mr. Bernard as he spoke "I just want to start by saying how terribly sorry I am for your loss. From what we understand your father was driving and there was a failure in the breaking mechanism of the car. They were driving down Westails mountain and lost control, the car went off the road and rolled down the mountain into some trees. They were both-"

"That's enough!" Lucas cut him off, Mr. Bernard sighed "I understand, it all too much. Your uncle is on a plane and should be here within a few hours. Your parents also have an attorney that will be coming within the next day." With that he got up and left.

Mia sat in the living room numbly, she felt like her whole life had just imploded within the span of a day. Winston helped her to her room and put her in bed. She fell into a fitful sleep plagued by nightmares of her parents' accident on repeat. When she woke the next day her uncle Chris had arrived and the lawyer was downstairs discussing the funeral and state of affairs with Lucas.

"The funeral will be in two days, I know that this would have been your graduation party Lucas but we will have to postpone that until after" Their uncle Chris had said.

Mia had just walked in and then went to hug him tightly. "I know, I know," he said as he held her. Mia wiped her fresh tears and sat down next to Lucas. He gave her a weak smile.

"Another matter, your parents had it set that upon any untimely death you two would inherit everything. Lucas, your father wanted you to take over his company, you don't have to and there is a contingency in place if you don't want it." The lawyer- Ms. Watson had said.

Lucas nodded "I know you were set to attend Solaris this fall, if you want to delay by a year that is possible for you" she continued.

"No, I want to attend this fall and take over for my father as soon as I can, it's what's going to be best for me and Mia," Lucas said.

"Mia, I want you to come and live with me in the Maldives after the funeral. Your parents arranged for me to be your guardian if something like this happened." Chris said to Mia.

Mia felt like her whole world had flipped upside down, she knew Lucas would be leaving for Solaris in the fall but now with her parents gone she felt incredibly lonely. She knew her uncle meant well and she loved him but having to leave all she knew so soon made her heart ache. She quietly nodded but said nothing.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The morning of the funeral had arrived and Mia dressed in her simple black dress and met uncle Chris, and Lucas downstairs. Winston drove them all to the cemetery of the divine. It was a beautiful place, it was high on a hilltop and overlooked the coast. The water crashed on the cliffs below, the sky was gray and looked like it may rain at any moment. There were probably over 200 people in attendance at the Collymore's funeral. Mia had no idea who half these people were but she knew her parents were well respected in their community and many people had loved them. After about 70 people telling her they were sorry for her loss Mia had decided she had had enough and snuck off to sit alone.

She ran up the hill to the top where the crypt of the original divines rested. She sat on the large marble steps and allowed herself to sob. She was crying softly when she heard footsteps approaching. She wiped her eyes and saw that it was Noah, she glared at him "what do you want?"

"I just.. I just wanted to say how sorry I am for the loss of your parents Mia" He spoke softly.

She scoffed "that's rich coming from you, look I don't know if your psycho dad put you up to this but I am not in the mood so why don't you run along"

"God Mia no one put me up to it, why can't you just accept I was trying to be nice?" He stated slightly irritated.

"Because you are not nice, you haven't been nice to me in years. So I don't want your fake condolences. Besides this really carves out a position for your family doesn't it?" Mia said in an accusatory tone.

"What the fuck is wrong with you? Whatever Mia enjoy sulking, maybe if your father had actually succeeded with his last project he wouldn't have needed to ask mine for a hand out" he said, turning to walk back down the hill.

Mia stood up immediately defensive she ran after him "What the fuck did you just say!? How dare you try to slander my fathers name!" She screamed at him, she grabbed his shoulder but he grabbed her arm and in her heightened state she transmuted the energy around them into a power blast of light photons. Noah screamed as he was temporarily blinded by the light, he twisted and fell backwards tumbling down the hill. He rolled down and tried to grasp at a headstone but his momentum was too great and his arm twisted out of socket, he rolled further until his head hit a headstone in a sickening crunch.

Mia thought she killed him! She ran down the hill and immediately got her uncle. An ambulance was called and they hurried Noah to the hospital. She was quickly ushered away "Mia, honey what happened with the Stoll boy?" her uncle asked once they were seated in the car.

Mia was still crying but blew her nose and cleared her throat "I don't know, he came up on the hill and the next thing I knew he was rolling down" she couldn't look her uncle in the face. He knew there was more to it but decided to leave it.

Noah was out of the hospital within a few days, he never mentioned Mia to his parents or the doctors. Just said he lost his footing, he had dislocated his shoulder but nothing was broken, he had a small concussion but nothing serious.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chris stayed with Mia and Lucas until it was time to see Lucas off to Solaris, then he and Mia packed up and left for the Maldives. It was arranged that her schooling would be done by a private tutor for the last 4 years of general education. She would then attend Solaris like her mother, father and Lucas.

4 years later...

12