Some Changes in Wade

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"You called me Wade Weber a minute ago. I don't know your last name."

"Kelly."

"So, are you Irish then?"

Another chuckle. I don't have red hair and freckles, but my dad has traced his family on that website, Ancestry. Big families, and he's back to Cork County, Ireland. So, I guess I'm Irish. At least on my father's side."

"That's neat. I'd like to find out about myself sometime.'

I got another look. "I can do that for you if you'd like, on Dad's Ancestry membership."

"Oh my gosh, you can?"

"Sure. Just get me your mother and fathers names and dates of birth, your grandparents too, and even further back if you can. You tutor, and I'll do some research."

We both laughed at that as she pulled into the driveway of a very nice-looking two-story house with a big front porch and two dormers jutting out of the roof. It was quite a bit larger than our small two-bedroom place.

"Pretty house, Diana."

"Thanks. Come on in. I need to introduce my tutor to my parents."

They were waiting inside the door.

"Mom and Dad, this is Wade Weber, my friend from physics class who's going to help me do some studying. Wade, my mother, and father."

"I know Wade Weber," Mr. Kelly said before I had a chance to reply. "I was there Friday night and saw that shot. Nerves of steel."

I could feel my face heating up.

"Mason, you're embarrassing our guest."

"I follow the basketball team, and this isn't the first time you've done that, either. It's a remarkable ability."

So Mr. Kelly followed the team and knew about me. Diana had a huge smile on her face.

"Thank you, sir. I, well, I just like to have the ball at the end, you know."

"That's called confidence, young man. It's a wonderful trait to have. You shot that ball, and I think you looked away. You knew it was going in, didn't you?"

"It looked like it was, yes. But I was sure glad to see it in the net."

"So was I," he laughed.

"So, you two better get started on the studying. Where are you going to do it, Diana?"

"My room is easiest. Everything we need is there." She looked at her mother. "We'll leave the door open."

I knew my face had to be even redder, but Diana was smiling warmly at me.

"I'll surprise you with a snack later on, honey. Wade, what do you like?"

"I'm, uh, not fussy at all. Anything is fine."

As we went up the stairs, Diana said, "My dad has been keeping track of you. He talks all the time about those last-second shots and how amazing it is to be able to do that."

"No kidding." Someone was keeping track of me?

"So, when I ended up with you at the party Friday, I knew you were in my physics class, but I knew you from hearing my father talk about you too."

That smile again, and those eyes.

"I bet your dad is more proud of you than my dad is, for sure.

I snorted, and her eyes opened wide. She waited for me to explain.

"Dad doesn't give a crap about my playing. He goes to one game a year."

"Wade, that can't be true."

"He says that basketball, soccer, and baseball are my thing, and he has his things as well." He doesn't go to my games...and I don't go to the bar to get drunk with him."

I watched Diana's hand go to her mouth. She shook her head, her eyes never leaving mine.

"If it helps, you can count on my parents being at every game to watch and cheer for you. Baseball might be more difficult, but we'll cover it."

"As long as you're there..." I couldn't finish and wondered how I'd even started.

She took my hand once more. "Don't worry, I'll be there, no matter what."

There was a funny feeling in my throat that I wasn't used to, and I had to look away. What the heck was happening?"

Diana squeezed the hand she was still holding. "Ready for physics?"

"Sure," if studying physics meant I could be here with Diana.

She pulled off the sweatshirt she'd had on, revealing a Charlie Brown T-shirt...and a lot more of Diana than I was used to seeing. Well, actually, it was just her bare arms, but still.

There was a chair at the desk in her room, and she left for a few seconds, returning with a second chair which she slid in very close to the first one. She gestured, and we both sat down.

I began asking questions, and she answered when she could, and I quickly discovered that it was just certain details she wasn't getting, but that was enough to keep her from getting the correct solutions to the problems.

We went to the questions at the end of the chapter in the physics book and worked our way through them, me supplying plenty of input at the beginning. Halfway through the questions, she was getting them on her own.

"How come Mr. Schacht doesn't explain them like you do," she said with a giggle.

"He may, but you're just more ready to listen now."

"Well, I'm feeling good about the test already."

"I hope so. That's what I want for sure."

She peeked at me from the corner of her eye. "Can you smell my perfume?"

I'd been smelling it ever since I sat down beside her but didn't want to mention it.

"I sure do. It's, what, nice?" I had no idea how to describe or compliment perfume.

"Cool. My aunt gave it to me for my eighteenth birthday, and this is the first time I've used it. "Do you really like it?"

Couldn't she tell that I liked everything about her...everything? "I do like it a lot."

"I'm so glad."

Why was she so glad that I liked it? What did it matter? As long as she liked it. That seemed the most important thing. Those brown eyes were looking at me again, and that smile. Something clicked. Why was that so important? I could think of one reason.

"I know I'm getting the physics now, but...but do you think we might be able to, well, study together the rest of this week. The physics, so I'll get that good grade." It seemed to be her turn to have trouble looking directly at me.

That clicked...her looking away...the perfume... It suddenly felt like eight seconds left, and I wanted the ball. Except not the ball this time.

I swallowed. "On one condition." Now she was looking at me, and I hoped my voice didn't tremble too badly. Last seconds, I said to myself. "On the condition that next Saturday night, when I don't have a game, that you'll go to the movies with me."

"Wade, you just asked me for a date."

Uh-oh. A deep breath. "I did."

She grabbed my hand once more. "I'd love that. I really would."

I felt like I was floating.

Mrs. Kelly brought hot chocolate and cookies, asked how we were doing, smiled broadly at Diana, and hurried away, leaving us alone again.

Diana pressed her arm against mine. "Want to study some more?"

We studied, and it was finally time for me to head home. I picked up my books and was ready to go downstairs when she took hold of my arm, glanced quickly at the door, rose up on tiptoes, and gave me a quick peck on the lips.

"You're the first boy I've ever kissed," she whispered.

"Same for me," I whispered back. "I mean girl, not boy."

I was so flustered I couldn't do anything correctly, and we both laughed.

I followed her down the stairs, said good night to the Kellys, and wondered what she told them about why she had to pick me up. Maybe I'd ask soon.

We talked and laughed on the seven-minute drive to my house, and when I started to get out of the car, I turned and looked at Diana. She was nodding and smiling, so there was a second, very brief kiss.

"Till tomorrow in physics," she said, "and lunch too, I hope."

"For sure."

Now I had something to look forward to besides basketball practice.

◇-◇-◇-◇

All week long, we eyed each other in physics class, talked, laughed, and took every chance we could to touch each other at lunch, and then had a warm and cozy time studying physics in her room. We still got snacks, but mom was announcing they were on the way as she came up the steps. Her parents were pretty cool, and I was enjoying spending time with them. Mr. Kelly often stopped me when I came through the door to review something about the last basketball game and questioned me about my plans for after graduation. I really didn't have any and hadn't thought much about it. Dad wasn't interested, and Mom tried but didn't seem to know the correct questions to ask.

On Thursday evening, Diana confronted me about that.

"So, Mr. Wade. One more regular season game, then the tournament. After that, baseball. And after that, graduation. What's after that?"

I know I had a look of futility on my face, and I shook my head.

"I dunno. It's not something I spend a lot of time thinking about."

"Well, we're going to spend some time thinking about it."

I chuckled and hoped to change the subject. "We haven't had our first date yet, and we have plenty of time."

"I've already been accepted at two schools, and I have one more application in the works. You don't have plenty of time if you want to be accepted." She bit her lower lip. "Haven't you gotten letters about basketball or baseball from some of the schools?"

"A couple from small schools. I checked with a couple of guys that graduated last year, and they got partial scholarships. I looked at the tuition for those schools, and no way will my dad pay that."

"You're a good student. There are grants and scholarships for that too."

"I suppose, but I don't know. It all seems complicated, and you have to know what you're doing."

"Mrs. O'Neil knows what she's doing, and she can help you wade through all those complications."

"You think?"

Now Diana had both of my hands and was looking at me from just a foot away.

"Wadey, you have to promise me you'll talk to Mrs. O'Neil."

Wadey? I wasn't sure that Mrs. O'Neil could help, though.

"If I give you a nice kiss, will you promise?"

As difficult as it was to say, I said, "Diana, you don't have to do that."

I received a pouty look. "You don't want me to kiss you."

"I...you don't have to...ugh...I'll talk to Mrs. O'Neil."

"You didn't answer my question."

There was that smile again...and those lips that had touched mine more than once.

"I do, Diana. I really do, so much," I nearly groaned.

So she did. A little longer this time, her perfume filling my nose, her lips clinging to mine, her arms around me, pulling me against her.

When she moved away, I think I would have agreed to anything she asked. Diana had me, and I hoped I had her as well.

We did manage to get some physics studied in between teasing, pokes, jabs, and just looking at each other. Being with Diana was better than...making that last-second shot. Way better.

Friday night, I scored nineteen points, six above my average, showing off for the four Kellys, I think. Diana's older brother was home for the weekend and came to the game. They took me to get a burger and fries after the game. Big brother was as friendly as the rest of the family.

But Saturday was here, and it was date night. I decided to give it a try.

"Hey, Dad, I've got a date tonight with the girl I've been studying with. Can I use the truck?"

"Nice on the date, but I'm meeting Loy and Rufus at Bruno's for a couple of beers and some basketball. Sorry."

He didn't look sorry. Maybe if the high school sold beer at the games, Dad might show up. Not to see me play, though.

I sent a text to Diana, and she replied no problem.

"Sorry, honey," Mom consoled as I left. "I'd love to meet her, though."

"You will."

And she did. Dad was gone when Diana arrived, so I brought her inside to meet Mom. They hit it off from hello, and I promised to bring her home again.

"She's so nice," Diana said. She chuckled. "I see where you get it."

When we got to the car, she grabbed my arm.

"I know you don't drive much, but are you a good driver?"

I wondered if she was serious and why she'd asked.

"I think I am. I've never had an accident, or even close, really."

"Okay, Mom said that if I trust you, you can drive the Honda tonight. She was afraid you might be embarrassed having me drive on a date."

I didn't know how to react to that. I wanted to give Diana's mother a hug. Instead, I gave Diana a quick hug, closing my eyes as I did. I opened the door for her, then went around to the driver's side and cautiously climbed in. Thirty seconds of instruction, and we were on our way...our very cautious way. It was fifteen minutes to the theater we'd chosen. Pull-in parking was a God-send--parallel parking would have thrown me.

I held her hand as we walked, bought the tickets, and went inside, holding her hand again. She'd had to remind me to let loose of her when I'd bought the tickets. When we found our seats, I saw it would be awkward to put my arm around her. I was more than content with her hand.

I held her hand in both of mine, it's warmth and her holding on to my hand made it difficult to concentrate on the movie. She'd glance over at me occasionally with those tantalizing eyes and that smile, of course. I didn't need a movie to entertain me.

When the movie was over, I suggested getting something to eat.

"Well, softball practice starts Monday, so I guess I can splurge. I'll do a little extra running."

If she could talk that way, so could I. "I don't think you have anything to worry about along those lines, Diana."

I got a very different look. "Do you really like the way I look, Wade?"

Was she kidding? Or was she that much like me?

"Diana, yes, I do."

Her questioning look transformed to a wide smile. "Thanks," she said, laying her head against my shoulder as we walked.

I wondered if she could hear my heart pounding.

The hamburgers were satisfying, and the milkshakes were too after I'd finally convinced Diana that her life wouldn't end if she splurged one more time.

We drove to my house, and I parked under the big tree, out of the glow of the streetlight. We talked about the movie--I had little to contribute, and then about our activities. I had a game on Thursday, and if we won, a game on Saturday, too. I'd know more about times later in the week.

We drifted into silence, just looking at each other in the near-darkness.

"Kiss me," she whispered.

I was planning on doing that, but her words had my blood heating instantaneously.

We leaned across the console, I put my hands on her cheeks, and our lips met. I heard a little sound from Diana, and her lips were pressing against mine with an ardor I hadn't seen from her before. We separated for just a second before it was her turn to pull my lips to hers, the difference this time being her tongue pressing against my lips.

It was my turn to make the noise, and that only seemed to raise her to the next level, her tongue now probing my mouth and caressing my tongue. She seemed about ready to climb across the console to get closer...and she did, fighting the steering wheel to get onto my lap...until the horn sounded.

Diana squealed. "I'd better go in," she said, her nose flaring with every breath, her eyes wide. This was a Diana I hadn't seen before. I liked it and hoped I knew how to handle it...and her...and me.

I opened the door and squirmed out from under her. Diana followed me out the driver's side door and grabbed me as I turned to face her.

"One more, Wade, and then I'd, well, better go."

She threw her arms around me, pulled me against her, and gave me a kiss I don't think I'll ever forget. The feel of her body pressed against mine was intoxicating, and I hated it when she pulled away.

"Tomorrow? Please," she said softly.

"I promise. I'll call or text.

Wade," she said, touching her hand to my cheek. After seconds, I got the tiptoe kiss once again. The familiarity of that simple thing was intensely warming...and intimate.

She smiled, climbed into her car, and drove away. I could see her waving through the rear window.

◇-◇-◇-◇

I lay in bed replaying the dream...and then replaying it once more. Diana. It wasn't the first time she'd been in my dreams. But, wow, this was different. After last night and that kiss...and then the dream.

I jumped out of bed, remembering the "Tomorrow? Please," that I'd heard, an urgency in her voice I'd never heard before.

I grabbed my phone and sent a text.

The reply was simple. will be there at 10

It was only nine-fifteen. I dressed and went to the kitchen, where I could hear things rattling.

"Hi, Mom."

"Would you like some eggs, honey. I was just getting ready to fix some. for myself."

"That would be good. Diana is picking me up at ten."

"You haven't known her long, but you're spending lots of time with her."

"I've never met a girl like her. Plus," I chuckled, "she seems to like me too."

The eggs were good, and I was ready for my day.

"Don't leave me out," she said as I went out the door. I'd have to remember that.

The Honda was there, waiting for me. When I climbed in, there was also a pair of lips waiting as well. It was not last night's kiss, but it said that I was someone special. I hoped mine sent the same message.

"You're driving. Where do we go?"

"Someplace we can be alone," she replied, a serious look on her face.

"We could just go park in the back row of a shopping center lot."

A puzzled look, almost a frown, from Diana.

"Better idea. You drive, and I'll give directions as we go."

We took off, heading out of town and toward the hills.

"How'd you do on the physics test?"

"I'm not totally sure, but I think Mr. Schacht will be surprised."

.

"He'll accuse you of cheating."

"I'll just tell him you helped me, and you're a much better teacher than he is," Diana said with a chuckle.

"Not wise," I suggested with mock seriousness.

"But very true."

"Thanks, Diana. More of the same this week?"

"The more we're together, the better."

"Where are we going?" Diana finally asked, obviously impatient with just getting my "turn here" directions."

"Almost there," I said, deflecting her concerns.

"Conkle's Hollow," she said as we pulled into the parking area. We joined four other cars.

"We can be alone...and be in an interesting place too."

We started along the path, and we were soon swallowed by the high cliffs and rock walls of the hollow. At the very bottom, a few plants were beginning to show signs of life in the very early spring. Diana seemed to delight in pointing out all these things to me. Her excitement was quickly contagious, and we were in a competition to find the most new and fascinating things.

"There's another level," Diana said.

"I don't understand." I'd been here before, a couple of times, and there was just a path between the cliffs with a couple of side niches, and then you get to the end, turn around and head back.

"If we walk on a little further, there's a place we can climb up, and it's really nice up there.

"How do you know about that?"

"My brother. He explores caves, and he and some friends come here to practice their rappelling. I came with them once."

We walked a little further.

"I think this is it."

No one was around, so Diana started her climb, me close behind. I had to admit that her butt, even in Levis, was tantalizing in a manner I'd never experienced before. I'd seen cute butts, but Diane's was different, I think because of my feelings for her.

Before long, we stepped out onto a large flat area with lots of bare bushes and another cliff rising fifty or sixty feet above where we were standing.

"Are you allowed to rappel up here?" I couldn't imagine the state allowing that.

"Not any more, but they do it anyway. So far, so good."

Diana had walked up to the cliff face and seemed to be studying the rock. She gestured to me.

"Look, back in that crack."

I crouched and looked...a tiny flower was struggling to emerge.

"Even that small, isn't it pretty?"

"It is. Let me pull it, and you can wear it in your hair."

"No, no, no," she said. "Let it grow, and one day it will be a beautiful flower."