Some Things Are Meant to Be

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
DREMAN
DREMAN
36 Followers

Mike was making sense. I hadn't thought about my presence creating suspicion or being a liability. It was a fact that many on campus knew me. Mike was making a lot of sense.

"All right, Mike. You've got yourself a deal. Do your thing and let me know what you find. I don't think it will be long before something breaks. I'm just looking for verification that she is planning to take their relationship to the next level. When I'm convinced that she is, you guys will be out of a job and I'll be single in six months."

"By the way, I'll be available to cover the store any day within the next week if your surveillance schedule wears you out. Just let me know when you want some relief."

"That won't be a problem, Boss Man. If we can stay up all day and all night partying, I know we can handle this. How do you think I got these premature bags under my eyes? Besides, Colleen won't be staying up all night, so we won't have to either. Once she is asleep not much is going to happen after that. And when she goes to class, or even when she's asleep, we can check our equipment to see what they reveal."

"Are you sure your friends will be able to help?"

"They will jump at the chance, Boss Man. Don't you worry about anything."

Once we had eaten, I paid and we headed back to the shop. On the way I gave Mike my spare key to Colleen's car, and told him to double check her room number to make sure it was 108. When we arrived at the store Sharon informed me that Chris has called trying to locate me. He wanted me to call him back as soon as I could.

I dialed the number to the main store, told them who was calling, and asked for Chris. The girl who answered said, "Bill came in today blowing off steam and blasting you and Chris to high heaven. His face is a mess, by the way. He was really out of control and we threatened to call the cops before he would leave. I am sorry to hear about what happened at the party, but I'm glad Bill got fired over it. I'll get Chris for you."

Now everyone knew about Bill and Colleen. That's not a good thing. I doubted that Chris said anything, so Bill must have spilled it all during his blowup.

Chris came on the line and said, "Ed, how does next Monday for brunch at Bob Evans Restaurant sound? You know, the one located on Little Mack. Can you make it by 10:00 AM?"

"Sure, Chris. I'll be there. I'm looking forward to it," I replied.

"See you then," he said, and hung up.

From where I lived it was a good hour to the restaurant. Saturday traffic isn't usually as bad on I-94, so I should be able to leave by 9:00 AM and make it just fine. I really was looking forward to what Chris had to tell me.

I thanked Sharon and Mike for all their help and then I headed home. I had some things I wanted to do before I picked up the children from daycare. There was children's park close to where we lived and I wanted to take them there tonight to have a picnic in the park. We had not done that sort of thing since they were toddlers. I didn't know if they would even appreciate it, but I was going to give it a shot. We were going to have peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, carrot sticks, fruit cups and lemonade. Am I good or what!

CHAPTER TEN

In spite of the fact that I told Colleen not to, she called to talk to the children Thursday evening. While I had her on the line I informed her of Bill's blowup at Audiomart and that he had now made her famous in my circles as a cheating wife. I wasn't sure that he actually had, but I felt justified in my exaggeration. Speaking of Bill's blowup reminded me of her call the night before when she once again blasted me, so I told her that was never to happen again. Otherwise I would no longer answer the telephone when she called.

She actually apologized to me. She said she was just going crazy with all the thoughts going through her head on the first night she had to spend away from home.

I asked her where I should send personal mail if any were to come to the house. She told me to send it to Beecher Towers, Room 108, or to her office. That confirmed that I was correct about her room number.

I finally called the children to the telephone.

They talked a very long time that night. I don't know what all was said but the children seemed very happy to be talking with their mother again. They told her in great detail all about our picnic. I overheard Jill ask Colleen when she was coming home. Of course I couldn't hear Colleen's response but I heard Jill say, "Don't cry mother. I love you and I hope you get well soon so you can come home and be with us again."

It was all very moving. My daughter was consoling her mother when it ought to have been the other way around.

I didn't talk to Colleen again that night.

*****

Mike never called on Friday. I knew he must be busy with everything he had to do, but I still was concerned about how he was making out with the project. I was anxious to hear something but afraid of what he might have to tell me.

He finally called on Saturday morning to tell me that everything was put in place on Friday. Mike's friends confirmed Colleen's room number from the registry and during her 3:00 PM class they planted their devices in her room. Mike said he planted his device in her car late Friday night while his friends bugged her office telephone. He also told me that security on campus was a joke. I told him that they probably didn't have enough money to have an adequate security force.

I asked if he had learned anything yet. He said they hadn't learned anything worth telling me. She had been eating alone in the faculty dining room. She spent a lot of time in her office working. She made a couple of calls from her room. One was to the children on Friday night, which I knew about, and the other was to a local girlfriend. She had not driven her car since Friday so he was sure there was nothing there. Since it was Saturday, she wouldn't be in her office, so about all we could do was wait.

One additional bit of news Mike shared was that Sharon was also helping out. She had volunteered to follow Colleen if she left campus in her car. I couldn't believe how well these amateurs had it all covered. Nonetheless, I admonished Mike to please be careful. I had no idea that I would be so anxious about all this. I didn't want anyone getting hurt or picked up by the police on my account.

When the telephone rang on Saturday evening, I was busy in the kitchen. Colleen had not called, so I supposed she was calling for the children.

Jack answered it and called to me to tell me that the call was for me. I dried my hands and picked up the telephone.

"Hello," I said.

It was Mike. "Boss Man, Bill called and she agreed to meet him at the Airport Hilton Restaurant at 7:00 PM. It doesn't sound good. She refused to meet at first, but he absolutely insisted and told her she would regret it if she didn't show. Sounded like a threat to me. Can you shake loose?"

"Not unless I can get a baby sitter," I said.

"I'll send Sharon right over. She was going to follow Colleen, but since she is meeting Bill at the hotel, you know you can catch up to her there."

Within five minutes Sharon was at the door. Jack let her in because I was upstairs changing into some of my darker clothing. I didn't know what I was doing for certain. I just thought I should make myself less conspicuous.

When I came down stairs I quickly gave Sharon some instructions, kissed Jill and Jack goodnight while explaining that I had to run and errand, and headed out the door. It all happened so fast that I'm sure the children didn't know what to think.

Since I knew where I was going and what I was going to find, I drove within the speed limits all the way. Besides, I was in no hurry to see whatever I was going to see.

I had been to the Airport Hilton a couple of times for lunch with perspective business customers. It was once a really nice place but time had taken it toll. When I arrived I saw Colleen's car right away, so I parked on the opposite side of the lot in a darkened area and put on my baseball cap.

Before I entered the hotel I carefully looked around to study the surroundings. One thing I noticed, the dining area was much more brightly lighted than the bar. Since I didn't know for sure where they would be, I was hoping they would be in the dining area, as Mike has said. If they were, I could slip into the darkened bar area without being noticed.

I entered the vestibule and stayed close to the wall. I didn't know how effective my baseball cap would be as a disguise, but that's all I had. I thought it might draw more attention to me. I left it on anyhow.

When I finally spotted them, they were in the restaurant. Colleen's back was to the bar area so I casually walked into the bar and took a seat. A potted plant partially blocked my view but not enough that I couldn't keep tabs on them. When the bartender came over to take my order, I ordered a rum and coke. I got comfortable and watched them as they talked.

I could see that they had ordered drinks but there was no food on their table. Then something else caught my attention ...they were not making any attempt to touch each other. In fact, they were on opposite sides of a small square table. That was unusual considering their short history. Bill had his arms on the table gesturing from time-to-time. I realized I had never noticed before how much he used his hands when talked.

Colleen sat with her hands in her lap. After a bit, I saw Bill become very animated. He wasn't yelling but he looked like he was throwing up his hands in disgust and looking very frustrated. Colleen suddenly leaned back in her seat. She said something and shook her head from side to side a couple of times. She looked like she had started to get out of her seat when Bill quieted down. Then I saw that Colleen had relaxed, returning her hands to her lap.

All they did was talk for the next thirty-five minutes. That's it ... just talk.

I had a second rum and coke. I was drinking too much too fast, so I slowed down on the second one.

Bill did most of the talking while Colleen sat stoically listening to him. I was hard pressed to figure out what was going on between them. Based on the emotional warmth and chumminess I had seen before, it certainly wasn't what I had expected.

Bill finally shook his head from side-to-side and sat back in his chair. He raised his hand and called for the check. He still had not finished his first drink and I don't know that Colleen ever touched hers. Now they were getting ready to go and I had no idea what to expect next.

Were they going to their cars and home? Were they going to his or her apartment maybe? Were they going to get a room here at the Hilton? What did they have in mind? My head was spinning with anticipation.

I kept my head down so the bill of my cap would cover my face. As they walked out of the restaurant, they had to pass by the bar. I could not hear their conversation as they walked by so I lifted my head just enough to get a peek to see where they were. Then I lowered it again so they wouldn't recognize me. I saw enough to know that Colleen was walking with her arms folded across her body.

Since they were leaving, I figured a room at the motel was out ... at least or now. Once they left the building, I dropped a twenty on the bar and walked to the front door to watch them in the parking lot. They were standing by Colleen's car. Bill was holding Colleen's car door open with one hand and gesturing with the other. Colleen began shaking her head again and climbed into her car. Once she was in her car it appeared that Bill shut her door unnecessarily hard before he stepped back. She started her car and backed out of her spot. Bill remained fixed where he was, not moving, just watching her drive away. Neither one waved as she drove away. I watched Bill for a few more seconds until he finally moved to go to his own car.

I headed for the men's restroom. My bladder was killing me!

I had no idea what had just happened, but I can't say that I was disappointed. It appeared that Colleen had reacted negatively several times to things Bill had said. I could not imagine what it was all about but I thought it might be a good sign.

I walked out of the motel and headed for my car. As I drove home I played and replayed all that I had witnessed tonight. When I arrived, Sharon and the children were still up. I was okay with that since Jill and Jack could sleep a little later on Sunday, but I asked them to go and get ready for bed. It was 9:10 PM so I knew they must be getting tired.

I told Sharon all that I had witnessed and she, too, wondered if it was a good sign. We finally agreed that time would give us the answer, one way or another. I thanked Sharon for watching the children and she left to go home at 9:30.

As I tucked Jill and Jack into bed I kissed them and told them, "It's too late. No story tonight. Okay?" They were too tired to complain.

Ah, to be a child again with no problems to fix.

CHAPTER ELEVEN

I was in the master bathroom brushing my teeth when the telephone rang. I looked at the clock on the counter and saw that it was 10:10. I thought that it must be Mike calling to get my version of what happened tonight at the Hilton. Without looking at the caller ID I just picked up and said, "You want to hear the story, too, huh?"

"What story did you have in mind?" the woman's voice said.

It wasn't Mike after all. It was Colleen!

I took a deep breath before I went on. "Let me go spit and rinse my mouth. I'll be right back," I told her.

"Don't splatter on the mirror," she admonished.

I didn't bother to respond.

After I'd done what I said I was going to do, I returned to the telephone. "How can I help you, Colleen?"

"You can start by forgiving me and telling me, 'Now that you've gotten your head screwed on straight, Colleen, you can come back home where you belong.' That is, if you even want a stupid-assed fool like me in your life anymore."

Don't ask me why because I cannot explain it, but all that anger welled up within me again. The little red angel with the forked tail on my right shoulder was shouting something about all the hell she had put me through during the last week, and the gall she had to presume that it's going to be so simple to resolve our problems.

The little white angel on the shoulder over my heart patiently waited for the red one to finish, then she reminded me of my words: "When you're truly sorry, call me and we will meet and talk."

So, I said, "Are you saying that you're truly sorry and you're calling me so we can meet and talk, Colleen?"

"Yes. Is tonight too soon?" She asked.

"I'm afraid it is," I responded. "However, if I can get a baby sitter, we could meet for brunch tomorrow at Ruby Tuesdays®, say about noon."

"I guess I'll have to settle for that if you're going to make me wait that long," she said.

I spoke as calmly as I could, "I think it would be best not to talk here with the children so close by. If they were to wake up, I wouldn't want to give them any false hope. Let's just wait until tomorrow."

What she said next almost floored me: "I hope you're still in good shape because I'm going to ravish your beautiful body the first chance I get. And, by the way, you looked really dumb in that baseball cap tonight, but I still love you in spite of the funny way you dress."

And this time, before I could say anything, she hung up first.

CHAPTER TWELVE

We met for brunch on Sunday morning at noon. We were both early, in case you're wondering. However, at this first meeting I insisted that we were not going to get back together immediately, if at all. I told her that we were going to start over and date for at least two weeks before we made any decision to start over again. I don't know why I chose two weeks. I was just an arbitrary number that popped into my head.

Quite frankly, I was still leery of her. I didn't know if I could ever trust her again. In fact, during the first week I found myself looking at her sometimes and wondering if I had ever truly known this woman. Those feelings disappeared after a while.

We saw each other every day. Usually it was just for dinner, but once we went to a movie. After a few dates outside the home, I allowed her to come to the house so we could include the children. She wanted to prepare meals but I wouldn't let her. We ate take-out and the children usually made the choices. Jill and Jack were always glad to see Colleen and constantly asked her when she would be well enough to come back home to sleep. Her response was always, "Soon, I hope."

Lots of tears were shed during the renewal period, and a lot of soul-searching confessions were made. So much so that I felt we had probably purged enough dregs from our souls to fill the whole of wherever dregs go.

Colleen cried and apologized several times for the way she had humiliated me that Saturday night. She explained that Bill had convinced her that I wasn't being truthful with her about how things were going at Audiomart. He had painted a bleak picture of my future there and had convinced her that I was actually failing at my job. One thing he cited as evidence was my diminishing sales. He also lied and told her that Chris was not very happy with me. By the time he finished, she was scared, angry and convinced that I had been lying and that things were only going to get worse.

I asked Colleen if Bill had ever encouraged her leave me. She said he hadn't. He had only tried to convince her that having sex with him would be a good thing to prove her sense of self-worth and independence. She confessed that she couldn't talk about their conversations at the party because she was too ashamed to admit that they had already talked about sex. Well, actually, Bill had talked about sex. It came about when he brought up the subject of his sexual prowess and suggested he was very good in bed. She thought he was too egotistical when he told her that she would enjoy what he had to offer. She also confessed that when he met her at our house that afternoon, he had compared her beauty to that of Julia Roberts, and he told her that he could tell by the way she carried her body that she could please him in bed. It was that day that what he was saying had begun to fit a pattern she didn't like. Then, when we talked that Wednesday night, all that I told her began to make sense, even though it took a bit longer for her to accept that his intentions toward her were almost purely sexual.

I asked her, "Did that excite you when he compared you with Julia?"

She said that it made her feel good to be thought of like that. "However," she added, "only a blind person would not realize that it was just another of his attempts to flatter me. I may have been a fool, but I certainly hadn't gone blind yet."

Colleen also stated, "I hope you believed me when I told you that we never did anything more than hold hands. He made a clumsy attempt to hug me when he entered the house that afternoon, but I pushed him away. I knew I had already violated my own principles for inviting him to the house and I was feeling guilty enough about that. I certainly wasn't about to let it lead to anything more. I only wanted to talk."

I thought that statement deserved another question but I didn't ask it. It didn't matter anymore. I believed that she was being truthful and that's all that mattered to me.

I never apologized for all that I had said to her when we were arguing. After all, I was trying to shock her back to my reality and I felt that I needed to say those things to help her see the tragedy she was about to become. I did apologize, however, for not caring for her like I should have. My problems at work had become so great that I failed to see the gravity of shortchanging our marital relationship. Work had become my wife and my lover.

DREMAN
DREMAN
36 Followers