Someone Borrowed, Someone Blue Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Tempting, but since my breath was like the bottom of a garbage can before I got up and I'm going to assume yours might be ready to take solid form and crawl across the pillow, I have a better idea." She softened her words with a wink and turned around, giving me a breathtaking view of her bare chest. "Look away if you don't want to see how the sausage gets made, Bear."

I had no idea what she was talking about until she began the process of getting her breasts settled inside her suit. It was definitely labor-intensive but not disconcerting. With a final heft and wiggle she exhaled, tugging at the bottom.

"Whew. Sometimes these things are more trouble than they're worth. So, back to your subtle attempt to lure me back into your nefarious clutches - I have a counteroffer. Do your morning ablutions and come meet me in the kitchen, where I have a proposal to address the lingering weirdness-that-isn't-really-weirdness-but-we're-calling-it-that."

"Okay. Jeez, you're kinda pushy."

Her turn to smirk. "Wrong. I'm EXTREMELY pushy, which you knew before you gave into your base desires. Also, we're absolutely going to be back in this bed after my swim."

I arched an eyebrow. "Oh, are we?"

"For the sake of science! Sure, you changed the laws of sex for me last night, but can you still do it during daylight hours?" She threw up her hands. "It would be irresponsible for us not to find out."

"Well, I wouldn't want to deny the pursuit of knowledge."

"Agreed. So get your ass up so there can be talking, swimming, and... experimentation for the good of all humanity. See you in a bit."

With that she left, strutting on her way out for my benefit. I sat there with a goofy grin on my face before getting up and surveying the situation. Aside from my underwear none of the other garments strewn around the room were practical for a breakfast chat so I wandered down to the other bathroom, where my toiletries were, and took care of what needed taking care of. A quick stop at my room - well, the room my clothes lived in, anyway - provided me with a clean t-shirt and a pair of shorts. Padding into the kitchen, I was greeted by the heavenly scent of coffee brewing. Tish was seated at the table, peering at the screen of what I assumed to be her laptop. "I went with business casual attire, I hope it's okay."

Her eyes flicked up as I sat down opposite of her. "Nuh-uh. First a kiss, then you sit."

"Oh, bother." I rolled my eyes but fairly leaped out of my seat, coming around to plant one on her. As expected, it ended up being more than a quick peck. As I leaned back I caught a glimpse of what was on her screen, which looked like brochure shots of a vacation spot. "Planning a getaway?" I asked, still feeling the lingering press of her lips as I sat back down.

"Something like that," she said, giving me a fond look. "Coffee's brewing, obviously. Don't drink it all before I get back - I'm assuming you're not going to join me on my morning swim?"

"Assume away."

"Okay. Well, while I'm making this fine body even finer, I have something for you to consider."

"I'm all ears."

"Ha! After last night I don't think that's an accurate assessment of your anatomy and its proportions, but that's a subject to be stripped naked and closely examined at a later date." Her grin was predatory as she stood up and began to pace, like a professor giving a lecture. "Anyway, about this situation we find ourselves in. Seems that you and I, who existed as platonic friends for quite some time, have discovered that we're - GASP - in love with one another. To further complicate matters, it turns out that there is a wee bit of sexual chemistry between us."

"A wee bit?"

"A mote. A jot. A neutrino at most yet something that cannot be discounted. In normal times this wouldn't be a problem, as we'd slake our filthy lust at various locations around the Tri-state area. Mostly in Connecticut."

"Because we live there?"

"Because we live there. Alas, there's a problem with that scenario, as our fair heroine - that's me - is leaving this area to follow a lifelong dream!" Clutching at her chest, Tish offered up a foreboding soundtrack. "Dun-Dun-DUNNNNN! What shall our newly minted couple do? Before them stand three choices!"

I leaned back in my chair, thoroughly entertained even though my dream girl might just be putting on a show to cushion the blow. "So this is multiple choice?"

"First," she said, ignoring me, "they could treat it like the greatest of one-night stands, albeit one they'd keep having until our fair heroine - again, that's me - has to leave. As exiting his life forever would surely leave poor Theodore distraught and shattered, this does not seem like a viable option."

"Can confirm," I chimed in. "Plus you'd take all your good board games with you."

"Second," she said in an arch voice, "our fair heroine could choose not to go! She could give up on her dream of a lifetime job-"

"I think we determined it was three lifetimes, no?"

"Of three lifetimes," she said, along with a helping of side-eye. "While that would give them proximity they desire, nay, they need like the very oxygen they breathe, our fair heroine would no doubt rue the missed opportunity, her discontent perhaps even beginning to fester."

"Are all your presentations this good?"

"Just because I didn't like my job here doesn't mean I wasn't exceptional at it, Bear."

"Well, in any case we can't have festering. It's almost impossible to get out of the rug." I shook my head. "I would strenuously object to you selecting this option. As in, 'would remove myself from the equation if you tried it' kind of object."

Tish nodded. "I know," she said in a quiet voice. "I'm just being thorough with our options, good or bad." She slipped back into salesperson mode. "As noted by the Peanut Gallery, this also does not seem like a viable option."

"Only one option left! I hope it's a good one."

"Third, there is the option of love spread over the nation - that our fair heroine and her extremely lucky paramour would keep the inferno of their relationship burning across the miles, meeting at airports after prolonged absences from one another with frantic clutching and perhaps warnings from security to move it along." She paused and gave me a serene look. I had figured this was where it was going to end up and while I wasn't thrilled by it - lots of lonely nights, for sure - it seemed like the best chance we had. Making our schedules work was going to be a trial, given the demands of the traveling associated with her job, but it was better than nothing, right? I offered her a little shrug and a smile.

"But like the others, this option is unacceptable as well!" I leaned back in my seat, stunned, as she thundered on. "Frequent trips featuring a minimum of eleven hours of round-trip flights? Trying to find time with our fair heroine while at the mercy of away games scheduling for a chunk of the year? Late nights waking up with unquenchable horniness but the other side of the bed empty? Not an option!"

Shoulders slumped, I searched for something to say. If none of these were optimal for us, what were we going to do? In a defeated voice I said, "Even if I'm there I can't quench the unquenchable."

"Do not attempt to distract me with trifles beneath my notice! For now we have reached a critical juncture, the moment that I admit... that I lied. It's like Three Card Monte in that there's a fourth card. Or, in this case a fourth option." Tish hung her head for a moment. Before I could respond she picked it back up, sheepish smile in place. In a normal voice she said, "I think it's a pretty good one." Sitting in the chair next to me, she took my hands in hers. "Why don't you move out there with me?"

I scrunched up my face, puzzled. "How... how could I do that? I can't work remotely."

She shrugged. "So quit."

"Quit?" That sounded insane. "How can I do that?"

Her eyebrows rose. "How can you quit the job we both agreed you're going to get fired from soon anyway?"

Raising a finger, I opened my mouth to protest before hesitating and rubbing at my chin instead. "That's a really good point." At Tish's nod I made a chuffing sound. "But then what would I do to earn a living?"

"If only you were about to get an agent to shop your already completed book and scripts."

I scowled. "There's no guarantee any of it will sell."

She snarled right back before smiling. "Normally I'd argue with you for underestimating your talent but let's roll with the ridiculous theory that you, an award-winning writer at a major network, can't find success. First, you're going to have a nice amount of cash from your former employer, in the form of a severance package. Nothing earth-shattering, but I'm betting you'll be surprised at how much you can walk away with if you negotiate well. Remember, you're doing your erstwhile boss a favor." Tish adjusted one of her boobs and muttered, "This is easier to do in a pantsuit. Anyway, I'm happy to be your point person, if you want."

"Okay, so, I walk away with money. That's good. But -"

"Then you have the extremely large lump of moolah you're going to get for selling your house." She tapped her cheek with a finger. "You've owned it what, seven years?"

"Eight."

"Eight. And it's what, doubled in value?"

I shrugged. "Not quite, but enough so I'd walk away with a decent profit. But now I'm in California with no income, so what do I do when the money runs out?"

Tish made a chiding sound. "Bear, I'm disappointed in you right now. However, instead of getting ruffled I'm going to ask you to try something - remember that you're not going to be out there living on your own. You're going to be with me! So, what are you going to be spending your money on in such great quantity that it's going to run out?"

"Are you kidding?" I scoffed, but without much commitment. "I presume we're going to need somewhere to live, no? It's not fair to expect us to do everything on your salary alone."

Oh, the shit-eating grin that earned me. "Right into my trap," she said as she spun the laptop so it faced me. "Please to enjoy this presentation of what will be your new home, if you do indeed choose to join me." The press of a key started a slideshow of pictures showing a nice house, perhaps recently renovated, with what appeared to be the ocean not too far off in the distance.

"Okay, I'll admit this is appealing. But how can we-"

She grabbed my hands again and gave them a squeeze. "Bear, it's part of my contract. Free housing on campus. Three bedrooms, two baths. They had it redone two years ago and no bullshit, it's gorgeous inside and out. And yes, that is indeed the Pacific in the not-very-far-away distance." Her smile turned wicked. "I'm already imagining us christening each and every room, if you know what I mean and I think you do."

Her grin was infectious. "And you - I mean, we - we live there? For free?"

"Bear, we don't even pay for the utilities." She held up a palm. "Oh, and you were going to say we need to buy food and all and sure, we can, but I get a faculty dining pass, which means I can eat anywhere on campus INCLUDING the dining room in the culinary school. Were you aware that LJSU has a culinary school?"

"Uhm, no," I said, blinking as I tried to digest everything she was throwing at me.

"Of course we'll get passes for you as well, and not just for dining! All the facilities, gyms, pools, etc. Oh, and you can take classes if you want." She tilted her head. "Hell, you could get a job as an adjunct professor with your resume, I imagine. Think you might like that?"

"Ah... I'd never thought about it before." Tish could have had a career as an extremely effective lawyer. "What happens if you get fired?"

"Unlikely, as I imagine the expectations for a team moving to D1 aren't too high. There's the chance they won't renew my contract after the five years are up, which would mean we'd only have the combination of your money with proceeds from the sale of my house here and my half-decade of salary, most of which is either going to be in the bank or invested." She looked at her nails, frowning at a chip in the paint on her pinkie. "I'm not making 'head football coach at Alabama' or Patty Gasso money, but it's not an insubstantial amount."

"I have no idea who Patty Gasso is, but I imagine I will if I go with you." My eyes drifted to the laptop's screen again, which switched from a bedroom with hardwood floors to the view of the Pacific from a deck. "This is a hell of a deal you landed."

"Dream of three lifetimes, Bear. And I know this is a lot to drop on you. You'd be moving away from everyone you know, all the things you do. It's a huge change." She paused until I looked back in her direction. "I don't doubt that you and I are a thing that'll work, Bear, not for a second. We know we enjoy each other as friends and if last night was any indication it would appear that we're somewhat compatible as lovers."

I swallowed around a half-smile. "Somewhat."

"I love you, Bear, and it feels so fucking good to finally be able to say that and know you feel the same way about me. I want us to spend the rest of our lives together because I'm selfish - I want the dream job AND the dream guy." Her eyes were welling up. "I one hundred percent understand if it's too much for you, or if you need time to think about it." With a sniff she leaned forward and kissed me, for once not lingering. "No matter what happens, I'll always treasure what we had last night and that I got to hear you tell me that you love me. I hope it'll be something that continues to happen, but that's up to you now." Wiping at her tears, Tish stood up and cleared her throat. "Okay, I'm going to go for my swim. Understand that whether or not you've come to a decision by the time I get back, or even if you decide it's too much upheaval for you, I'm still dragging you back into that bedroom. Prepare accordingly."

Overwhelmed, I didn't trust myself to speak just yet, settling for a nod and a smile. Tish returned the grin and grabbed her towel. "So," she said, her voice shaky, "back in a little while. I sure hope you make La Jolla the dream of like five or six lifetimes for me." Then she fairly fled the kitchen, leaving me alone with my thoughts. I looked over at the computer again, imagining what it would be like watching the setting sun with Tish, our feet up and cold drinks in our hands. The thought of leaving everything I knew behind - hell, being voluntarily unemployed as well - was terrifying. I could admit that to myself.

But it was a chance at a life with Tish. REALLY with Tish. Friends yes, but so much more as well. Still contemplating, I got up and searched cabinets until I found a mug - 2 CUTE 4 MORNINGS! emblazoned in bright yellow on a blue background - and poured myself some coffee. I wandered out onto the deck and, shielding my eyes against the morning glare on the water, squinted enough to see Tish knifing along at a decent clip. As I dared a sip - nope, still scorching - I thought about the chaos I was potentially leaning into, the uprooting of my entire existence that would become tenuous enough to be shattered by a single fight, some sort of disagreement that couldn't be worked around.

Maybe I would be miserable in a place where I knew nobody besides Tish.

Maybe I'd get resentful at the amount of time her coaching kept her occupied.

Maybe I'd become bitter and miserable if my writing didn't sell.

Maybe our explosive chemistry was a mirage and we'd tire of each other, living as strangers.

Maybe I was looking for excuses not to spend the rest of my life with my best friend because I was scared to take a leap of faith.

My coffee had cooled enough for careful imbibing, and I smiled around the lip of the mug as I watched my future splashing in the lake.

*********************************************************************************************************************

It didn't make sense that there were still holiday decorations up in mid-January but as I wasn't in charge of any of the terminals in LaGuardia Airport, including this one, there wasn't much I could do about it. I sidestepped a couple dragging their bags along the middle of the walkway at a pace that could be measured by a sundial, grumbling under my breath as I hurried to the gate Tish's plane was due to - check that, had already arrived at. My extremely busy week had culminated in the insanity that had been this morning, and unavoidable circumstances - along with the usual NYC Friday bumper-to-bumper traffic making my bus ride here far longer than it was supposed to be - had left me scrambling to get there before Tish disembarked. It felt like I hadn't seen her in months, and I swerved through an obstacle course of people with a sense of purpose. Of course her flight was at the farthest gate from where I'd gotten off the bus and, well, it was going to be close.

I skidded to a stop a few minutes later to a door already disgorging passengers. I didn't see her yet and, since she was hard to miss, dug around in my coat to find the sign I'd crafted on the trip over. Its creation had been made possible due to the largess of a friendly mother and daughter on my bus ride willing to share the latter's crayons. As I pulled it out I looked up in time to spot her, larger than life, emerging from the doorway. Heart feeling like a balloon in my chest, I started to wave a hand. She'd already spotted me, swerving in my direction and peering at the sign I was brandishing. She made a face but never broke stride, my piece of paper soon forgotten in the midst of a bone-creaking hug.

"'Coach of the Year?' You're optimistic." She squeezed me even tighter. "I missed you, Bear. Had to eat all that barbeque without you."

I drew a whoop out of her as I leaned back and lifted her off her feet for a moment. "You say you missed me and yet you haven't kissed mfffffffffff." She planted one on me that threatened to fog all the windows in a sixty-foot radius. Ye gods, I'd missed her.

Releasing me, she plucked my sign from my hands, folded it up, and tucked it into one of her coat pockets. "We still on schedule to make our connecting flight? Because nothing is better after a two hour long flight than to follow it up with six more hours airborne."

At a jerk of my head we started walking. "Yes and no. Our original flight got changed. We're not direct into San Diego anymore."

"Ugh. Really? I was looking forward to relaxing." I grinned at the tiny bit of whining in her voice. "Not only do I have nothing planned for the long weekend, I also didn't schedule anything for Tuesday."

"What a layabout you are. I assume this means things went well since I last spoke to you?"

She looked upward, plumped her lips. "Our conversation last evening was very... focused. On... missing one another. Physically."

"Sorry, not sorry," I said. "If you didn't want that to happen then you shouldn't have sent the texts you sent."

"Yes. Well. I feel that conversion could be better addressed now that we're in person."

"Not until after the flight, you perv." I bumped against her for a moment. "Did you ink the other pitcher?"

"I did! Kid's knuckleball is pretty damn good. Between her and the one from Charlestown, that's half a rotation accounted for." She mimed an underhanded pitch, never breaking stride. "Also got the catcher on a quarter-scholarship, she's pretty solid. The shortstop wanted a full ride and, well, I don't see her as being worth that. Pretty sure she had one in her pocket from UNC anyway." Tish shrugged. "Getting three out of four qualifies as a successful trip. Plus, good barbeque. All I needed was you along for the trip, but instead you were busy in New York being wined and dined and told what a great writer you are, which I've been telling you for quite some time but do I ever get credit, no sir I do not."