Something about Elle Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Oh she did love office romances and she'd also watch this one develop at home and socially. Knickers on the table – Ohmigod, Elle could be really risqué at times. But perhaps doing that would be enough to have Joe shed his trousers.

Hannah switched off that thinking. She must rush to arrive at work on time.

* * *

The special meeting was a near-disaster which embarrassed Elle, like everyone else, but she was left far from feeling dismayed.

Everyone was there but Milly and Donovan called her. She came storming in complaining that expenditure for the last reporting period was way over budget. Donovan just smiled and asked did she complain on periods when it came in under budget, which was roughly fifty percent of the time.

"You have no right to criticize me in front of employees," she barked. "You are treating me like one of your underlings, rather than your equal business partner."

"You are highest in my esteem," Donovan soothed.

"Then why haven't you signed off my request to employ a second personal assistant for myself. Nikki is well qualified for the position despite the fact she'd my daughter..."

A roaring sounded in Elle's ears.

Nikki the seductress – so that was what she was doing in Donovan's office that evening – preparing the way for approval of her upcoming job application. The slut!

Donovan said coolly that he'd consider signing off or rejecting the proposal when he was good and ready."

"It's not good enough Donovan. I'm being mistreated."

"Milly," Donovan began patiently. "This is not the place to have a discussion between us like this. I do, however, point out that I use our chief receptionist as my PA and you already have a PA and now you are want another. It requires though and digestive time Milly."

"It's almost three weeks since you receive that application Donovan. Three fucking weeks."

"That's five bucks for the swear box Milly."

"I'm not contributing a single cent to a fucking stupid swear box."

"That's ten bucks," Donovan grinned.

"Not a single cent do you hear?"

"Loud and clear Milly. It's not mandatory, but if you don't contribute you're a poor fucking loser," said Donovan, standing up and pulling out his billfold, peeled off a five dollar bill and stuffing it through the slot.

"You'll pay for this Donovan. Just you wait."

Donovan resumed his seat.

"Carry on Milly. You have the floor."

Everyone either glanced or stared at red-faced Milly who appeared uncomfortably hot. "I'm finished."

Donovan said the purpose of the meeting was to discuss a request from principals of distributors of a prominent brand of French cosmetics that were considering relocating their West Coast/Midwest offices and distribution center from San Francisco to Los Angeles.

"I had two meetings with their American chiefs and representatives of the Paris-based cosmetics manufacturer and distributor, House of René. They want us to develop a concept of relocation and relocation management before the engagement of a realty broking firm, architects and other facilitators."

"They are offering $50,000 for a preliminary concept."

"That's chicken-shit."

"Milly if the preliminary is accepted we go into a full development concept for which there is a budget of $1 million including bonuses for mind-blowing thinking," said Donovan, addressing the swear box. This was greeted by a titter.

"Then give the project to Elle; she'll earn it single-handed, or else make us the laughing stock of both the US and France business worlds."

"I was thinking more in terms of a team project."

"Boss?"

"Yes Elle?"

"I tend to think best straight off the top of mind. I see a concept of a tower building the shape of the company's navy blue bottle of perfume called Apex Miranda – all windows in reflective black – the stopper containing the board room and principal executive offices. It will be a large site with underground parking topped by a landscape looking like an oasis, which means a big water bill and tree and plant replacement program but hey, look at the price of cosmetics."

"The relocation should not be staged. The LA offices and distant distribution center should be developed as a direct colonization from France – a new beginning and should be marketed that way so everyone involved thinks that concept. That strategy would allow its current business from its San Francisco base to continue trading uninterrupted until the day it closes."

Elle leaned back in her chair, eyes shut.

Amid the murmurs came a call, "Boss?"

"Yes Roger."

"Miss Brilliant Brain opposite me has just earned us $50K and the promise of a big treasure chest. I'll get Liz to run out and buy a bottle..."

"Will this do?" asked Elle, taking a bottle of perfume from Hannah and tossing it over to Roger – a navy blue bottle roughly the shape of an apex with an apex shaped stopper.

Without any prompting everyone including Milly and Donovan clapped.

"I'll start drawing as soon as this meeting is over," said Roger, looking at the bottle through almost closed eyes and then holding it up towards the overhead lights.

"Any further business," Donovan asked, without attracting a response.

"This meeting is concluded. Milly we should chat in your office or mine or would you prefer early lunch?"

"Early lunch thank you Donovan. At the elevator in five minutes will be fine."

"I'd like Elle to join us, if that is acceptable."

"At times I rather like the girl, so why not," Milly smiled, watching Elle bite her lip.

Elle reined in her mind.

She'd not wanted Milly to know where the money for the buyout was sourced, but obviously the moment to strike had come so unexpectedly that Donovan had seized it, presumably thinking she'd understand. Good for him – she'd done the same thing as it were merely a preference, not an agreement to maintain confidentiality. It would be Milly's turn to be shocked.

Elle decided not to hurry to the elevator and was just leaving her office when her phone went. "It's Milly, we're waiting for you."

The call terminated abruptly and Elle smiled, thinking it was unfair but it was best to keep Milly rocking off-center.

"Italian, Elle?"

"What's Milly's choice?"

"The Dorsal Fin."

"That's a bit expensive for lunch," Donovan mocked.

"Since you're paying, it will be fine," countered Milly, showing teeth.

It was a cab ride away, Donovan choosing to sit between the two women.

"If the French go for our concept and the architects develop it, we may well be pulled into group projects by architects impressed by our work."

"That's a big if, Donovan," said Milly.

Sitting under an umbrella at the stylish fish restaurant, holding Martinis, Donovan broached the subject like a striking barracuda.

"Have you thought about your future Milly?"

"I have as recently as this morning," Milly said, "But do you think this is a conversation we should be having with her here."

"I do Milly. In fact Elle's looking for a partnership opportunity."

"Really?" responded Milly, clearly surprised. She looked coolly at Elle.

"May I ask do you really have that sort of money to invest?"

"The answer is yes Milly."

Milly held up her drink, examining it, and then gulped it all down.

"Another?"

"Yes please."

"Elle?"

"No I'll nurse this one."

Donovan ordered two more Martinis and said to Milly, "Well?"

"You want her to buy some of my stock, leaving you the majority shareholder?"

Donovan ducked the question, saying, "Elle."

"Your entire holding Milly."

"That's big money."

"I know."

Milly took her fresh drink, lowering the amount by half.

"Elle you pay to have my holdings professionally valued and I'll think about it."

Elle finished her drink and shook her head when Donovan offered her another.

"That won't be necessary Milly. I'm not interested in getting into horse-trading; I make you what I consider to be a fair offer, a one-off non-negotiable offer. Our last annual report indicates you are holding 500,000 in $1 stock. My offer is your original $500,000 plus a premium of $300,000 - $800,000 in all Milly. I require an answer in thirty days from now otherwise my other is withdrawn should you not have earlier rejected it. I'm ready to order Donovan."

Milly sat frozen for a moment.

"You don't wish to discuss this offer any further?"

"Not unless you seek clarifications."

"You two are not getting along at the moment socially, everyone knows that. So why would you want to do this? There are numerous big businesses that need people like you."

"My answer is I want 49 percent ownership of Business Uplift Inc. Milly. That's all I wish to say."

"Order me grilled tuna Donovan," Milly said. "Excuse me, nature calls."

"She's gone to make a phone call," Donovan grinned. "You're taking a risk making an ultimatum rather than an offer."

"Not at all. Greed wins the day; if she can't drum up a better offer within the next thirty days she'll take mine."

"But she'd unlikely to get a better offer within that short time; most investors can't comprehend the nature of our business – I know, I tried hard to win them over prior to Milly coming along. Then many of those that can see the potential have to first put a proposal to their board, with the likelihood that the next meeting is beyond thirty days from today."

"Why do you think I chose thirty days? Ninety days would probably have been more convenient to me financially."

"Do you want a loan?"

"No thank you."

"A no-interest loan?"

"That's very generous of you, but the answer is still no."

Milly returned almost ten minutes later, beaming. "You'll need an open-ended offer Elle. I've been speaking to Duncan Barnes and he's prepared to top your offer by $50,000."

"Lucky you," Elle cooed. "Donovan, please signal to the waitress we are ready to be served."

As they were eating Milly tried again.

"Aren't you going to respond to this competition?"

"No I stated my terms. I'll simply finish up in six weeks when my contract expires and find a new opportunity."

Milly spluttered, "But you can't."

"I can, it's a term contract with no provisions for renewal."

"But Mr Barnes indicated he is mildly interested, regarding it as an investment in you personally."

Elle giggled.

"That's a big price to pay for him to secure me as his sugar daddy?"

Milly shouted, "No, no; you don't understand. He means your potential as a profit center because he thinks you are worth a fortune in the right hands."

Elle shrugged and said, "What can I say Milly other than my offer remains good for thirty days. Perhaps there are many other investors out there who'll outbid our Mr Barnes."

Milly's bottom lip thrust out.

"I don't feel hungry."

Donovan patted her arm.

"Come on Milly eat up. You have a splendid offer in the can and you may do even better. It's time to use your business network."

"Quite right Donovan; where's the wine?"

"Oh I've been found wanting after all this power play. What do you want?"

They agreed on a quality Californian dry white.

Ten days later Elle was called by Milly's solicitor saying Milly had accepted the offer of $800,000 and wanted the name of Elle's attorney.

"Yes settlement on the 29th suits me fine," Elle said, aware that cash on term deposits in her American dollars and British pounds were due to roll over on the 20th, providing the funds she needed to settle.

Milly didn't return to the office that day or ever again. Hannah cleaned out Milly's desk at her request and had all personal affects couriered to Milly's home.

On the following Sunday evening there was a small farewell dinner for Milly, attended by Donovan, Hannah and Roger Grossi and his wife Amy, both friends of Milly and chief executive Leigh English and her current sleep-in. At Milly's request Elle was not invited.

* * *

Monday was yet another fine day and Hannah was still walking six feet tall, as she and Joe had spent most of Saturday and Saturday night at a luxury hotel, swimming, eating a doing anything else that took their fancy.

"Seven times," Hannah had boosted. "And I am still able to walk!"

"The swimming and the spa would have been most beneficial in that regard," said Elle, and Hannah stared at her shaking her head.

"Well darling, it's your big morning. Are you excited?"

"No I'm terrified despite knowing the result."

"You can't know, we haven't voted."

Elle looked out the window of the cab.

"As you say Hannah."

"Ohmigod, you really do think you know don't you."

"Hannah please drop it. You are increasing my nervousness."

"Very well," said Hannah, drawing out a palm-size notebook and ripping off two pages. "You write down what you think the voting result will be and I'll do the same. After the voting we'll compare notes."

They did that.

Folding her page into four, Elle handed it to Hannah.

"No you keep it dear, I trust you," but Elle insisted.

There was a coffee and bagels break during the meeting and Hannah was unable to contain herself; she'd written 75% on her paper. Fingers shaking Hannah opened Elle's predicted result: 100 percent. Then why on earth was she nervous if she thought that? Hannah was sure neither Roger nor his pal Randy would vote for Elle becoming vice-president.

Donovan said, "Okay, guys. We are calling for a little vote. I have invited Elle to fill the vacancy of vice-president. She won't accept unless she has the support of at least a 75% vote in favor. Elle is not voting and doesn't wish to vote.

"Pamela please hand out a voting paper to all of us except Elle, then collect them after voting and produce the result for us."

The meeting continued and Pamela returned to announce the result.

"One hundred percent in favor."

"Thank you," Elle said. "I feel honored to accept your confidence in me; I accept the position Donovan. Pamela I'm sorry to spring this on you but I want you as my PA with Donovan continuing to have your services. It's a promotion."

"Oh yes please," cried Pamela. "I'd love that, but what about Juliet?"

"She'll be offered the job as head receptionist, on promotion or declared redundant; it's her choice."

"Wow, we into an area of quick-fire decisions. I think we're all going to like that," Pamela said.

Hannah took Elle aside. "I predicted 75 percent, thinking Randy would align with Roger who'd be too jealous to vote for you. You predicted 100 percent in favor; if you knew that why were you so nervous?"

"Trying to comprehend that everyone would vote for me was a little too overwhelming, but I'm over that now."

"Ohmigod," sighed Hannah. "Being super-active with your mind is not always what it's cracked up to be, is it?"

Elle gave her an appreciative smile.

Relationships between Donovan and Elle continued to be cordial with just a hint of possessiveness between them which she summed up for Hannah, "We have an understanding."

"What kind of understanding?"

Elle evading answering, knowing it what missing was relationship was romance. Every day the flowers kept coming – most of the executive's offices displayed her flowers and although Donovan must have noticed this – after all he did have a bowl of them in his own office, sporting a tag like in the other offices 'To Elle from An Admirer'.

Nevertheless Donovan stuck to the task doggedly of ordering a new delivery each weekday. The florist suggested an automatic order but Hannah had heard him say, "No, I wish to order them personally because that makes me know I care."

She went quickly to report to Elle who simply sighed and shrugged.

"Don't you care?"

"Of course."

"Well, you don't show it."

"Why should I; I know how I feel and so does he?"

"Grrrrrrr!" growled the frustrated mother and hopeful mother-in-law. "I ought to toss you both into a small room and lock the door."

Thirty minutes later Donovan arrived in Elle's office and closed the door, a stupid grin on his face.

"Oh-oh," Elle smiled. "Hannah has just had a session with you."

The grin on Donovan's face became sillier.

"God she'd priceless," Elle laughed. "She'd going to push us into marriage if it's the last thing she does."

"My thoughts exactly."

"What are your thoughts exactly?"

"I keep wishing and hoping that I'll be forgiven."

"I guess that can be arranged."

Donovan's phone went.

"Excuse me."

"Hi Fitzgerald."

Elle walked to the far corner of the room to avoid listening.

"Well yes, but it's very short notice."

"Of course we want the contract."

"Right, we'll see you around10:00 in the morning. Yes a night out on the town is a splendid idea. Bye."

Elle said she assumed Fitzgerald was a principal of the French cosmetics house.

"Good guess, though I doubt it was a guess. They want Roger and me in Frisco for a lunch meeting tomorrow – would you like to come and there's something on at night? You are the ideas lady, so serve to be bathed in credit."

"That's very kind of you but it sounds like a boys' night out. I'll hold the fort."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes."

"Then I'll better dash and have Pamela arrange travel and hotel. They're going to accept the proposal, at least in principal Elle. I know it; they wouldn't invite us to be there just to say no."

"I know but they'll accept the total concept, doubtless with minor modifications. We've produced such a French thing – it will be a landmark building."

"Oh damn, we were about to dig our teeth into our mutual problem."

Elle's chest heaved.

"It will wait Donovan. Run along."

The next morning Elle received a call from mall owner, property investor and goodness knows what else Duncan Barns. It was a long conversation during which Duncan offered Elle a job on his executive advisory team as assistant director with the possibility of taking complete command within a year.

"There will be five of you who travel wherever I go, always first class. Sometimes Mrs Barnes will accompany us and she will welcome having a female team member."

Elle allowed him to continue uninterrupted after twice saying she was not interested. The salary package raised her eyebrows.

"No thanks Duncan. It's a magnificent offer, but I'm unable to access because I'm involved in significant private business."

He ignored that, saying it was lovely talking to her and a courier would deliver the formal proposal within the hour.

In just under an hour Pamela arrived with the package.

"It's from Mr Barnes of Barnes-Churchill Investments," Pamela announced.

"I don't want it; have it shredded – no, could you attend to that personally."

Pamela took the package away, curious but not prepared to open private mail unauthorized.

In an inexplicable chain of events, the package didn't go through the shredder. She arrived back at her office and was immediately drawn into an office 'domestic'; Jill in accounts had been dumped by her married boyfriend and had been found in the restroom, crying and white-faced, holding a razor blade. Her supervisor was uncertain whether to call the police, medics or the young woman's mother.

Pamela dropped the package from Mr Barnes on to the benchtop behind her desk and went to sort out the crisis, the outcome being that the distressed sub-accountant refused to be taken to her mother by anyone other than Pamela.

Hannah had arrived back from a business meeting and authorized Pamela to take the poor woman home, a simple act that would exonerate Pamela in the events to follow.

Next day just before noon, bleary-eyed Roger, who'd been excessively unfaithful to his wife because of the wide-eyed young Frenchwoman from Paris HQ, and Donovan, nursing a massive hangover because he chose drinking instead of having sex to the woman assigned to him in deference to his elusive sweetheart Elle, arrived back in the office to find it rather depleted.