Soon Pt. 02

Story Info
Still wanting. Still waiting.
8.5k words
4.84
5.1k
4

Part 2 of the 3 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 08/01/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
_Lynn_
_Lynn_
275 Followers

Soon... it was a simple word used around the world. Soldiers promised their spouses and loved ones they would be home soon. Parents told their children they could go to the beach soon. Builders ordered materials with the manufacturer promising to send them out soon.

What Geoff wanted soon wasn't going to happen. A downward spiral of the number of people with the COVID virus meant governors opened places previously closed. However, the limits of people in groups went ignored. Weddings went on with two hundred or more guests. The town of Sturgis held their annual bike rally in August where tens of thousands of bikers showed up. The constant shifts of the pandemic had stores closing again to stop the spread. That left Geoff hunting for ways to stay busy.

One afternoon, looking around the house, he wondered how long the original family lived there before someone else moved in. A quick search of land records showed there had been four previous owners, including Bill and Penny. The family before them had lived there over forty years.

In one of his dreams for the future, he envisioned Robin as his wife, with Poppy his daughter along with however many other children they had. Yet that life wasn't a guarantee. Could he live next to them as just neighbors? In his heart, he knew he couldn't see them each day and pretend they didn't mean the world to them.

He swore as he thought about all the ways the pandemic affected how people lived. Months of restrictions forced people to stay home. Stores still had empty shelves as customers hoarded items from their fear of the unknown. His house sat partially done as he waited for materials and the crews needed to install them. Everything took longer. The world seemed to have tilted and couldn't find the way back.

Evening was his favorite time. Robin and Poppy joined him after dinner several times a week. They often sat outside afterward while Poppy explored. Geoff gave her a specific area she could play in and--despite her love for discovering new places--she remained within the boundaries. At times, the pair worked in the garden to pull out the weeds that wanted to take over.

"Open your hand, Poppy. I found something for you," he said one evening.

Doing as he instructed, she waited to see what he had. When he dropped a worm into her palm, she screamed and jumped around. Her actions made him laugh so hard he didn't notice Robin.

"What happened? Are you all right? Did you get hurt?"

She ignored Geoff as she ran to Poppy. Before she reached her side, the girl was laughing as hard as Geoff was. Robin just stood there and tried to figure out what happened.

"That tickled, Mr. Geoff."

"They do. Worms are good for the plants because they fertilize the soil."

"How?" she asked.

"I think that's something good for you to research, honey," Robin said.

"Sort of like homework, mama?"

"Yes."

"Then I can tell Mr. Geoff what I learned."

"I look forward to hearing what you discover," he said. "Now, I think it's time to gather our things and clean up."

"What did the big truck bring today?" Poppy asked while putting her shovel into the pail she brought with her to help.

"Well, let me think. There was paint, stain, a new washer and dryer--"

Poppy tipped her head to the side and stared as if she thought he was teasing her.

"Well, it's a big house, and for a while it didn't even have walls inside, remember?"

"I fit between all the boards," the child said and giggled.

"Not anymore. Now they're rooms. I'll show you next time you come over."

"Poppy, it's late. We need to get home," Robin said.

"And I need a shower after digging into the garden with all those worms," Geoff said.

Their conversations, when alone, veered toward daydreams and hopes for the future. Around the little girl, they kept things lighter. Robin had pictured the man naked many times. The added image of water running down his skin made her shiver. Poppy ran toward the fence while Robin tried to shake the vision of Geoff in the shower from her mind.

Robin followed her daughter and flipped the latch of the gate. Poppy ducked under her arm. When mother and daughter laughed, Geoff knew he would never tire of hearing the sound. Robin wasn't the stressed out parent trying to manage life within the confines of the pandemic the way she had been when they first met. There was a certain pride in believing he had been a part in the change--especially in Poppy. The girl blossomed around him. She obeyed her mother without arguing and accepted the restrictions the virus caused in their lives.

A few days passed before Robin heard from Geoff again. He had left a message on her phone telling her he had something to take care of and would be out of town. While that wouldn't seem strange before the pandemic, it made her wonder what was so important he left town for the first time in months. Of course, as she reminded herself, it wasn't her business. Each night, Poppy stared out the window and sighed when the house remained dark. Maybe he didn't like her anymore, she thought, letting the tears fall. She had been a good girl. She listened to him and followed his directions. Sometimes she even imagined he was her dad. It made her feel sad thinking he might not come back.

Down the hallway, in her own bedroom, Robin's thoughts were similar. All the hours she spent with Geoff made her want more. She had questions about his life the way most people do when they get to know each other. Yet now, the way he left after staying home for so long to keep safe from the COVID virus, it didn't fit what she knew about him. Something had to be wrong. She was sure of it even though she didn't have any idea what it was.

Geoff hadn't been away from home since Bill's funeral. He thought of himself as a loner anyway but the virus made it all different. Now, when he least expected to leave, the call from his attorney made it imperative for him to go. He kept his life private by choice. The world didn't need to know about the assorted businesses he owned.

He had packed a bag and tugged the cover off his Harley right after the call. It brought him back to the days when he spent his spare time cruising along the coast or exploring mountain ranges. The bike was his favorite mode of transportation. He rode through town without noticing all the closed signs. He was already trying to find a solution to the predicament his lawyer described. Sometimes, being the boss was a pain, he thought as he turned onto the highway.

It took Geoff six hours to reach his destination. He parked his bike in a small enclosure reserved for it then worked his helmet off. His hair brushed his shoulders in a way it hadn't in years. Laughing at his faded jeans and old T-shirt, he wondered if his staff would even recognize him. Then he remembered no one would be there. They all worked from their homes now.

Geoff sat in his office with half a dozen files on his desk. It didn't take long to catch up on the details. His lawyer, Max Gerard, answered on the first ring. The man could have handled the issue himself but it was part of his job to alert Geoff when he spotted inconsistencies. They discussed the discrepancies in depth before making a decision.

"Are you coming back, Geoff?"

"I don't know, Max. I honestly can't say. I'll always be involved but I love where I'm living. It's peaceful there, you know? I even have a flower garden that would make your wife jealous."

Max smiled on his end of the phone. His boss worked hard at everything he did and deserved happiness.

"Well don't send us any photos or I'll be spending my weekends in the yard. And you know how much I hate getting my hands dirty."

They laughed together at the running joke. Geoff loved working with his hands almost as much as Max hated it. The men met while in the Army and stayed in contact over the years. When Geoff needed a full-time lawyer for the first company he bought, he called Max.

"How long are you staying?" Max asked.

"I figured I might as well go over everything while I'm here. Maybe I'll get another hare-brained idea that I can dump in your lap like the last one."

"Yikes! My wife was mad for months after you bought out that bankrupt apartment complex. I put in ten to twelve hour days to get it set up the way you wanted it... and then had to take her on two cruises to make up for it," Max said.

"Yeah, you hated all that time off too."

"You'll get it one day when you're married."

Geoff didn't answer for so long it made Max wonder if he had someone in mind. He wouldn't ask though. If Geoff wanted him to know, he would tell him. Until then, they had the businesses to keep them busy.

"It's strange, here, in the office, without anyone around. I've been alone so long I didn't think about what it was like in the big city. I seldom leave the house. The local store delivers groceries and when allowed, the lumberyard brings what the contractors need."

"It's rough, Geoff. So many people are out of jobs. Places we took for granted might never open again. This crap is ruining so many lives. I sit here sometimes and wonder when it will end. What is the world going to be like then?"

"This pandemic is everywhere. It's not like the Army when we knew who the enemy was and understood what we had to do."

"I don't think anyone knows what to do. Nothing is normal anymore. Hell, my wife took clippers to my hair last week because she said I looked like a hippie," Max replied, laughing as he spoke.

"I better stay away then. Mine goes past my shoulders already."

"Long hair and a Harley," Max said. "That's the perfect image of a wealthy businessman."

"It's a good way to stay out of the news, isn't it?"

Max chuckled. "That's my job... keeping the vultures away from you."

"Finagling for a bonus there, Max?"

"I need to get this latest disaster fixed first. Then when the world gets back to normal, you can spring for that trip to Greece my wife wants."

Their laughter stayed with them as they ended their call. Geoff had a room at his office with a bed and shower. He would stay there until they finalized the contracts to the fiasco from his latest takeover. Knowing there wouldn't be any food around, he went out to his bike, wondering what sounded best for dinner. The first place he spotted had eight cars waiting in the drive-through lane. However, another block down, no one was at the small sandwich shop there. He checked over the menu, ordered enough food for dinner and a late night snack if he wanted it. Then he turned back to his office building.

Dinner helped him concentrate since his stomach no longer grumbled. The bottled water he found in the break room refrigerator kept him hydrated as he worked through the night. Just as the sun rose, he made his way to the private bedroom, where he stripped and fell asleep as soon as his head hit the pillow. He didn't wake up until noon. Then he grabbed the other sandwich he had stashed in the refrigerator.

His mind was already on work when the vibration of his phone startled him an hour later. He saw it was Max and grinned. The men worked the entire afternoon. In the end, though, they were both content with the outcome. Max confirmed his boss wanted him to continue handling things as he had been.

"Are you staying yet today or leaving?"

"I'll be here another day or two. I put in an order to one of the grocery stores in town for things like water and snacks for the next time I'm here. Nothing that will spoil, but the basics, you know?"

"That makes sense. Have a safe trip back when you go," Max replied.

After they ended their conversation, Max wondered as he often did when things would be the way they had been the previous year. He didn't mind staying home. He loved his wife and they found plenty to do to keep busy. Yet he felt as if his life was on hold.

Geoff spent several days at his office. The silence made it easy to focus on the endless documents and contracts from his companies. Of course, he had already seen them all when Max forwarded them to him daily. Yet he always double-checked everything. It was part of what made him so good at what he did.

By the time he was ready to leave, the refrigerator had a full stock of water and juices. An assortment of protein bars and other healthy snacks filled the small cabinet for the next time he needed them. Geoff was ready to leave when Max called. He thought about ignoring it but didn't. The man wouldn't call without a good reason.

Geoff ended up staying another two days while he and Max frantically hammered out a deal for a company he had been interested in for the past year. When they had the signed contract, they congratulated each other, exhausted but successful.

"Thanks for your hard work," Geoff said. "They'll be an asset to my portfolio."

"It's a great acquisition."

"OK, so is that it now or are you going to spring something else on me at the last minute?"

"No promises, boss."

"You're great at what you do, Max. I wouldn't give you the leeway I do if I didn't trust you."

"Thanks, Geoff. Now get yourself back to that old shack of yours. One of these days, when it's safe again, we're coming out to visit."

"I'll make sure there's somewhere you can sleep."

It didn't take Geoff long to close up the office again. He filled his briefcase with the folders he wanted to read once more and locked the doors behind him. He grinned when he reached his bike. It was time to go home. He pulled into the barn late that night, trying to keep the rumble of the engine low. Robin was really the only one who lived close enough to hear it but he didn't want to wake her. Once inside, he put all the folders into the small file cabinet in his office. After locking it, he tossed his bag onto a chair in his bedroom. The clothes would need washing but they could wait.

Robin woke before Poppy, as usual. The first thing she did was to look at Geoff's house to see if any lights were on or if he was outside. All she saw was the same darkness that had been there for the past week. Poppy joined her in the kitchen, still in her pajamas, yawning as she slid onto a chair.

"I'm hungry, mama."

"How about pancakes this morning?"

"I love pancakes."

"Well, why don't you go get dressed while I mix the batter? When you get back, they should be just about ready," Robin said.

Poppy ran off to her room, chattering to no one, expecting no answers. She returned wearing shorts and her favorite pink shirt.

"I beat you!"

"You were fast. Here you go--a heart-shaped pancake for my favorite daughter."

"I'm you're only one, silly."

Robin laughed with her daughter. She had made breakfast for Poppy each morning since the virus hit and enjoyed it. Before, when she had to go into the office, she sent Poppy onto the school bus after handing her a slice of toast or a granola bar.

"I'm done. Can I play outside? It's Saturday so I don't have to do homework, right?"

"Go ahead, honey. I'll clear up here then join you. Maybe we can do a craft on the patio again," Robin said.

Poppy ran out the door laughing. She stopped before it closed and yelled through the opening.

"Can I make a picture for Mr. Geoff? I can save it for when he comes back."

"You don't want to give it to me today?"

Geoff leaned over the fence as he spoke. He grinned at how the little girl jumped up and down and screamed. Robin stood by the back door, a stunned look on her face.

"You're back! I missed you!"

His heart warmed at the little girl's reaction. "You did?"

"Yes! I watched every night for your lights to go on. You were gone a long time."

"I was. I had things to take care of," he said, leaving his reply vague.

He felt a bit guilty for never telling Robin anything about what his real job was. As far as she knew, he was a gardener and handyman. She hadn't asked questions but he was sure she had them. It wasn't like he was a crook and didn't want to admit it to her. He just didn't like talking about himself or what he achieved.

"Did you have another garden to plant somewhere?"

"You don't think this one is enough?"

Geoff turned the conversation away from where he had been back to the little girl. When the time was right, he would find the words to tell Robin more about himself. Each day he didn't clarify what he did, it felt as if he was lying, and that didn't sit well with him.

"Did your mom behave while I was gone? I know she can be naughty at times."

Poppy looked at her mother. "She yelled at me when I forgot to put my toys away."

"That's not good at all. Did you punish her?"

"No, silly, kids can't do that."

Geoff kept up the childish banter with Poppy. Robin stayed back, giving her daughter time with him.

His company made a lot of money--more than he ever imagined when he started, he admitted. Wealth wasn't what drove him, though. He loved the back and forth of negotiating. It wasn't a matter of winning. The goal was to keep a business open and not put people out of jobs. His family was the opposite. In fact, his father lived his life in the spotlight. The man enjoyed the attention from the media and made a point of mentioning his wealth whenever he could. Geoff might be estranged from his family but that didn't mean he hadn't seen the constant articles about them.

"I have some things to do in the house but be sure to listen to your mom, OK?"

"I will, Mr. Geoff," Poppy said.

The pair from next door stayed on his mind long after he went inside. He wandered through the rooms, imagining them finished. Because of the placement of some of the walls, he had decided to take several of them down to increase the size of the kitchen. The washer and dryer would eventually go into what had been a portion of a mudroom. All the changes took time and a lot of work. He couldn't wait to see the rooms filled with furniture. Before then, though, he had to talk to Robin.

Early the next morning he knocked on her door. He had a box of donuts from a local shop that turned their store into a drive-thru to stay open during the virus restrictions. His mask covered his face but he was sure his eyes showed his feelings.

"I brought breakfast," he said when she opened the door. "I didn't know what kind you liked so I got an assortment."

"You didn't have to do that."

"I wanted to. And... we have to talk. I know I left town in a hurry, but there was a reason for that," he said.

"Poppy is awake. This isn't the time--"

"Mr. Geoff, you're at my house," the little girl said, jumping up and down when she entered the kitchen.

"Put your mask on, honey," Robin said as her daughter came closer.

She took one off a hook in the kitchen. Once she had it in place, she moved closer, only stopping when her mother put her arm out to hold her back.

"Good morning, Poppy. I hope you're hungry because I brought donuts. We probably shouldn't tell your mom, though, since she might think they aren't healthy."

Geoff crouched as he spoke to the little girl. He saw the sparkle in her eyes and grinned. He hadn't been inside their house before but it fit the image he had of it in his mind. It was neat and clean yet had that comfortable lived-in feel.

"I have someone coming over to help with the house so I'll be busy all day. Make sure you behave and I'll see you later, OK?" Poppy nodded. Her disappointment was clear. "I'll give you another tour of the house next time too."

Mother and daughter watched as Geoff left. If he had been able to see the looks on their faces, he would have scooped them both up and held them close. Instead, he forced himself to walk to the gate and push it open. Thankfully, it didn't break from the force he used to close it again.

The electrician took three days to complete his work. Geoff had agreed the whole house needed rewiring even though the cost was much higher than he anticipated. It had to be safe--no matter who lived there.

_Lynn_
_Lynn_
275 Followers