Soon Pt. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Each night, after a day of hard work, Geoff looked across to Robin's house and wondered what she was doing. He needed more than a few minutes to explain it all to her. The longer he waited, the worse it seemed, somehow. He never intended to have such strong feelings for her. As a loner in his personal life, he hadn't thought living in the old house would be any different. Then he met Poppy... and Robin. The world still hadn't returned to anything even close to what it had been before. He wasn't sure when it would. The news reports shifted from positive to outright negative. All he could do was stay busy with the house and his various companies.

Over a week passed and he hadn't talked to Robin. His only excuse was that some of the work crews he needed for the house were finally available. Because he offered to increase their fees, they showed up on time and stayed late to complete their share of the job. Finishing the house became an addiction. He remembered how they laughed when Robin found bits and pieces of old wallpaper on boards she spotted in the dumpster. He wasn't doing it for himself anymore. It was all for Robin and Poppy.

He made a point to go outside the following day around noon but the yard next to his was empty. An idea came to him as he walked away. He wasn't the greatest cook but he knew how to make simple things like potato salad and deviled eggs. Along with hamburgers, potato chips, and the fresh peaches he had, there would be plenty for dinner for all three of them. Of course, first he had to see if they accepted his invitation. He went into his office where he pulled a sheet of paper from the copier and scribbled 'dinner at my house tonight at six'. At the bottom, he added 'please'. Then he went over to the gate where he taped the paper on their side low enough for Poppy to see it.

Max would laugh if he knew how nervous Geoff was. He was never edgy... at least he never showed it if he was. Of all the business deals he made in the past, none was as important to him as the redhead and her daughter.

Mid-afternoon, while taking yet another load of old wood and insulation from the house, he spotted the paper on his side of the gate. He threw the trash into the dumpster and jogged over to the fence. Bright red letters, obviously in Poppy's handwriting, said 'yes'. He wanted to yell and dance but instead he walked back to the house. Because he didn't have the dining room done, he would need to make a table and find something to use as chairs. When nothing came to him, he stared outside, searching for a solution. The sawhorses on the back porch gave him an idea.

The improvised table only took a few minutes to set up. He covered the paneling sitting over the sawhorses with one of his old sheets. Three large sections of logs standing on end became chairs. It wasn't elaborate, he knew, but it was the best he had. Right at six, he heard Poppy's voice.

"Mr. Geoff, we're here."

"Thank you for accepting my invitation. If you'll just follow me, I'll take you to your table," he said to Poppy once he faced them. "Ma'am, I'll be back for you shortly."

Poppy giggled as Geoff brought her to the table. He stopped next to the highest seat and waited for her to sit. Then he bowed and returned for Robin.

"This way please."

Geoff grinned and took her to the back porch. Although it was late fall, the weather had stayed warm. He preferred cold weather but hadn't given that much thought when he bought the house. The purchase was from his heart, nothing else.

Poppy took the plate Geoff handed her and carefully put her favorite condiments on a bun. Then she added potato chips and a deviled egg before sitting down again. Robin could see how much thought Geoff put into their dinner as she relaxed and enjoyed the food. Soon she was laughing at Poppy's silly jokes the way Geoff was.

After they finished dinner, he asked if they wanted to see the house. It had been a few weeks since she saw it last and Robin was curious about the changes. Even though many of the rooms were still in progress, she could picture what they would eventually look like. The kitchen had an enormous island, cabinets everywhere, and a gorgeous backsplash. Although it still lacked things like the vent hood over the stove, drawer pulls, and even some cabinet doors, she couldn't imagine it looking any better if she chose the finishes herself.

"Geoff, this is amazing. I love everything."

"Bill and Penny had blueprints done when I bought the place. After studying them for a while, I made some changes," he said. "Bill's contractor had ordered a ton of materials. That ended up to be a good thing when the government closed non-essential businesses... and why I was able to do as much as I did. Then when they opened the lumberyards again, I stocked up on everything I figured I might need... and more."

Robin saw the staircase and gasped. She knew it would be beautiful when she saw it the first time even though it was in bad shape then. Geoff had turned the space across from it into his office. An antique desk sat in the middle with bookshelves on three of the walls. They continued their tour through the partially completed living room and an enormous dining room.

Robin listened as Geoff took his time explaining things to her daughter. She appreciated how he made sure she didn't step anywhere dangerous. They went upstairs where he opened each door to let them see inside before going back to the main floor.

Poppy yawned, reminding Geoff of the time. "It's late. I'll walk you back."

Robin nodded. She wasn't afraid of the dark but didn't want to run into any of the construction equipment and supplies in his yard. Geoff flipped a switch that instantly illuminated the property. Robin smiled. She should have known he would have installed lights. They reached her door where he watched as they went inside. Then he returned to clean up the table and put the sawhorses away. He had several crews scheduled for the next day so he went to bed early.

Geoff went into his office the next morning so he wasn't in the way of the crews working inside. All the contractors knew he was a fair man and would listen without getting angry if there was a problem. He firmly believed in listening to others and working together to find a solution.

Thanksgiving week was the same as any other for him so it caught him off guard when Poppy called out to him one afternoon.

"Will you come over to have turkey with us tomorrow? I'm helping mama make a pie but I won't tell you what kind."

"I would love to join you. Tell your mama thank you."

Geoff hadn't planned to cook anything special for the holiday. He was satisfied using his outdoor grill and having simple meals. Yet joining Robin and Poppy made him imagine he was a part of their family. He smiled at the young girl before she ran back to the house. He could hear her voice even after she disappeared through the door.

Contractors still couldn't always complete their jobs due to the low inventory of supplies. He knew it wasn't their fault. The whole world was in the same state of limbo as he was. It gave him a lot of time to go over his company and try to figure out what direction he wanted to go in the future. He, like most of the world, hadn't expected a pandemic that would alter everything from small establishments to large conglomerates.

His thoughts ran through the assorted industries he owned. They employed hundreds of hard-working people who depended on their paychecks each week. Max had helped him restructure as much as possible so some of the workers could stay home to do their jobs. He knew it wasn't ideal, but he did the best he could.

That afternoon Robin called over the fence when she saw him near the garden. She wanted to just watch him work but didn't want him to see her staring, so she cleared her throat and called out his name. Geoff leaned against the fence and waited for her to speak.

"Poppy's really excited that you're joining us tomorrow. We usually eat at one, if that works for you."

"Hmm, let me see. I'll have to rearrange a few things on my calendar so I have the afternoon free. You know how it is lately. There's so many places to be with endless things to do. I rarely have time to myself anymore," he said, winking when he finished.

"Oh, I can relate. Between Poppy and school, my job, and all the constant invitations we accept, I barely have time to do the laundry or housecleaning."

It felt good to joke around with him. She enjoyed his sense of humor and knew the anger and fear she felt in the beginning of the pandemic disappeared because of him.

"Did the housekeeper slack off on her job again? Give me her name and I'll make sure she knows who's boss."

"I fired her. Poppy assured me she would help."

Geoff laughed. He knew the young girl enjoyed mowing the lawn, but he wasn't too sure she could manage the assorted chores involved with housework. Before either of them said anything more, a rumble of thunder and jagged streaks of lightning filled the sky.

"I didn't know it was going to rain today. I better go inside before I get wet," she said.

He swallowed hard to lose the image of her standing there in a wet shirt. The picture was as real as she was in that moment. Before he could reply, the temperature dropped and the sky opened up. Robin screamed as the cold rain splashed over her skin.

"Get inside! I'll see you tomorrow," Geoff said, raising his voice so she could hear.

Robin nodded and turned. He stared as she ran across the wet grass to reach her patio. There she grabbed one of the rags draped over a chair and attempted to dry off before she went inside. Geoff remained standing in the same spot, ignoring the rain. He didn't move until loud claps of thunder shook him from his fantasy. By the time he reached his back door, he was soaking wet. He stripped and tossed his clothes into the washing machine. A hot shower warmed his flesh before he dressed again.

No matter what he did, though, he couldn't lose the image of Robin with her shirt clinging to her body. After cutting several boards in the wrong lengths needed to build a cabinet, he stopped working. He grabbed a bottle of beer from the refrigerator and went to his office where he tried to clear his head by reading the latest documents from Max. When he realized it wasn't working, he stretched out on his bed and soon lost track of time. After the storm was over, he wandered through the house, picturing the rooms completed and filled with furniture. He spent the rest of the evening checking his never-ending list of projects.

His sleep that night included the redhead next door at his side. When he opened his eyes to the reality that he was alone, he swore. No matter what it took, he had to talk to Robin. He spent a couple hours in his office before showering and dressing. Instead of his usual jeans and T-shirt, he chose a more casual look to fit the occasion. Just before one, he closed his back door and walked toward the fence. He was nervous and couldn't figure out why since the three of them had dinner often.

"Mr. Geoff!"

Poppy ran toward him as soon as he stepped through the gate. Seeing her bright eyes made him smile. He wanted to lift her up and carry her, but Robin insisted they follow the social distancing guidelines. She didn't say it, but Geoff figured it had something to do with all the workers who spent time in his house. While he understood it, he also knew they couldn't live in fear forever. His years in the service proved that no matter how much people planned, unexpected things happened.

"I hope you made a really big pie, young lady, because I'm starving."

Poppy giggled. "We made two."

"So I get one and you and your mama get the other one, right?"

Geoff's stomach grumbled as soon as he opened their door. Poppy skipped inside while he stood there remembering family Thanksgivings when he was young. His mother hadn't ever cooked. They had a chef as well as several other staff members who took care of everything from the housework to the shopping and even Geoff and his brother.

"Mr. Geoff, I put the dishes on the table."

"You did a superb job," he said, watching Robin as she mashed potatoes and stirred gravy at the same time. "Is there anything I can do to help?"

"How good are you at carving a turkey?" Robin asked.

Geoff hesitated before answering. "I'm sure I can figure it out."

Robin handed him a knife and pointed to a platter waiting next to the pan holding a golden brown turkey. His mind kept going to how it felt to be working next to her while Poppy chattered behind them. Before long, he put the knife down near the back of the counter where Poppy wouldn't accidently grab it.

"Thanks, Geoff. One day Poppy will be old enough to help... although I'm not sure if that will be a good thing or not."

The young girl ran around the room, not really saying anything that required an answer as she usually did. At one point, he heard her mention Christmas. It reminded him he still had to decide what to buy the pair.

"Christmas? What's that?"

He pretended to be thinking as he waited to see what she said. Maybe she would give out hints without realizing it. Her soft giggle melted his heart. He tried to imagine future holidays without anyone joining the mother and daughter. He already knew from their many conversations that Robin didn't have much family. His thoughts went to how his parents always traveled to exotic locations instead of spending time with their sons. He brought his thoughts back to the present. Poppy kept up her usual chatter as they ate. When it came time for dessert, she made sure he had a slice of the pumpkin pie she helped make.

They spent the afternoon playing games with Poppy. Geoff talked about the latest progress in his house. Robin seemed quieter than usual although he couldn't figure out why. Instead of eating a second meal, they snacked on desserts and the assorted sweets Robin set on the table. Just before the sun went down, Geoff thanked the pair for dinner and left. Once home, he went into his office, working until early morning.

Despite sleeping only a few hours, he woke up with an idea for a Christmas gift for Poppy. She loved playing outside and spent a lot of time drawing and reading. With all the wood scraps he had, he could easily build a playhouse. It would be perfect for her. He wandered around the house and backyard in search of wood scraps and anything else he thought he could use. A pile of extra shingles gave him another idea: he would make the playhouse in a similar style as his house.

It didn't take him long to start on the plans. He decided to build it on an old trailer he found in the barn. Knowing it would be heavy, he had to devise a way to slide it off when finished. A quick conversation with one of the construction crew working on his house gave him some ideas. Together they sketched out a rough drawing for a foundation of cement blocks. That way the floor wouldn't rot. It wasn't the ideal set up but it would work.

He didn't want Robin to know about it so he would have to get them to leave their house somehow. Maybe he would suggest they drive through town to see Christmas lights. If they invited him along, he would have to make something up.

Over the next two weeks, Geoff worked on the playhouse whenever he could. Because Robin and Poppy heard the sounds from the assorted contractors, nothing he did would make them curious. Working with his hands reminded him of his grandfather who spent hours in his wood shop. The elderly man taught Geoff how to treat the materials he used to create everything from bedside tables, shelves, coat racks, and more. Losing his grandfather had been hard. However, he learned more than how to work with wood from him. In fact, the most important lesson he received was how to treat others regardless how much money they had. Geoff carried that message with him throughout his life. He knew the respect he earned during his military career as well as from his employees came from not his father but his grandfather.

The playhouse ended up bigger than he originally planned. However, he kept thinking of ways Poppy could use the space. If he could have, he would have built a tree house instead. However, Robin didn't have a big backyard. And putting it in his trees didn't make it seem as if it was hers. By building it bigger, she could use it longer, he decided.

Because so many stores had restrictions yet, he ordered the furnishings he wanted for it online. Packages soon arrived daily as more items came to mind. For her constant drawing, he purchased sketchbooks, colored pens, markers, and pencils. Finding books she hadn't read was difficult but he finally chose several he hadn't seen her with. The more he looked the more gifts he found for her.

He still hadn't decided what to get for Robin. Making that a priority one evening, he browsed several sites until he spotted the perfect thing: a necklace with a choice of initials and a heart. A few minutes later, he had all the information the company required to place the order. Already he could imagine it hanging around her neck. Maybe one day he could buy something more personal... like a wedding ring.

Admitting he pictured them as a family wasn't new. The thought of picking out a diamond hadn't crossed his mind before though, and they were far from that point. He couldn't even be sure they would get there.

Because of the constant traffic of work crews in his house, Geoff decided not to have a Christmas tree. Poppy talked about all the decorations she helped her mother put up including sparkling lights on a small pine tree growing just off their back porch.

As he had done before, he thought back to when he was younger. The staff put up an enormous fake Christmas tree and covered it with crystal ornaments and ribbon. Every year the lights were white. His mother only looked at the tree when she thought her sons were too close to it. They learned at a young age that the tree was there to impress his parents' guests. Geoff and his brother had to remain in their bedrooms during those dinners so they didn't do anything to embarrass their mother. Their father spent the evenings drinking with the assorted business owners who tried to out-brag each other. Long before the year ended, the staff had all the holiday décor packed into boxes and stored in the attic.

The week of Christmas, Geoff saw a paper taped on his side of the gate. He was right when he guessed it was from Poppy. He grinned when he saw the brightly lit tree with an assortment of colored lights and ornaments. The note asked if Geoff would join them on Christmas day. He took it into his office where he wrote yes in red and thank you in green. Then he went back to the gate and taped it on their side.

He called Max to wish him and his wife a happy holiday. The couple had three children who always managed to make time to spend with their parents. Because of COVID, they hadn't been together in several months. Geoff knew Max looked forward to seeing his kids and grandchildren when it was safe. The man was the type of father Geoff hoped to be.

With his shopping done, Geoff turned his attention to his company. A tip from one of his managers had him investigating another apartment complex on the verge of bankruptcy. He discovered the owner hadn't paid taxes in three years and had late fees for the utilities. Although he didn't usually invest in housing, he had before, and would for the right price. Just as his hand went to his phone, he stopped. The legal specifics of the deal would usually be Max's job. Instead, he spent several hours on his own, searching for anything else he could find on the current owner.

The man had a string of bankruptcies over the last ten years. The deals Geoff found appeared shady and against the law in so many ways he was surprised the man wasn't in jail. If he did make an offer, Geoff knew it wouldn't include keeping the man on the payroll in any way. After a glance at the time, he sighed, knowing he needed Max's input.