Soon Pt. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

He sent a text stating the basics of the company with the added message telling the lawyer to take his time. If someone else bought the complex, he would move on to the next deal. It certainly wouldn't break him to miss out on it. Max called within minutes. He offered to see what he could dig up and get back to Geoff when he had news. They both agreed it wasn't anything they had to do until after the holiday.

Three days before Christmas, Geoff finished the playhouse. The front had a door and he installed windows on the sides. He thought of all the pictures she drew and turned the back wall into a chalkboard. Two big boxes filled with some of the gifts he bought for Poppy, sat in his office until he had the playhouse situated in Robin's yard. Since he didn't buy enough wrapping paper, he decided to put some things on the shelves. Each time he worked on it, he smiled, imagining her surprise.

It wasn't difficult to hide it from Poppy since he constructed it all on the far side of his barn. It was an area she wasn't allowed to be in because of all the materials and tools stored there for the restoration of his house.

On Christmas Eve morning, he sent Robin a text, asking if she would take Poppy somewhere for at least an hour just before dark. She didn't ask why, but he was sure his request made her curious. He planned to pull the trailer using his riding lawn mower. Much to his surprise, Grant, the construction worker he had asked for ideas, offered to help him get the playhouse in place. Geoff saw Robin's car leave and they instantly went to work. Sooner than expected, they were filling the shelves with books, craft items, and dolls. Grant drove the lawn tractor back to the barn while Geoff made one last check to be sure that they hadn't left any tools behind. Once the men closed up the barn, they walked toward the back patio where Geoff pointed to a cooler.

"You have time for a beer?"

Grant nodded and took a cold bottle before sitting on the back steps. He leaned back to stretch his shoulders and sighed.

"Why do I feel like a thief?" Geoff asked.

His helper laughed and shook his head. "I thought the same thing."

"You realize I couldn't have done it without your help. Poppy's such a great kid. Her mom has to work and raise her alone. I would do anything..."

Grant smiled. He recognized the look on Geoff's face. The man was in love.

"I'm glad I could help. My parents don't celebrate the holidays so I didn't have anything planned tonight anyway."

"This is the first year since I graduated from high school that I'm doing anything," Geoff said. "In the past, after I left the military, I spent the holidays working."

"What work did you do before you came here?"

Geoff hesitated. "I acquire losing businesses."

Grant felt as if he asked something he shouldn't have. "Hey, I didn't mean to pry."

"You didn't. It's just different here."

"Things aren't the same anywhere," Grant said. "I get it. Nothing is like what we're used to yet we have to keep going. It's sort of like a movie where we hold our breath to see what happens next."

"Don't get me wrong. I love what I do and won't walk away from it. Out here, where life is slower, I have extra time. Just like everyone else, I don't always know what to do, or how to stay busy. My headquarters are six hours away, so I can't just leave the house and go to work for the day."

Geoff stopped. He wasn't sure what it was about the man that made him open up more than he had in years. Maybe it was Grant's work ethic and the way he showed respect for others. If he could talk about his company to a stranger, why then, he wondered, couldn't he talk to Robin?

"Thanks for letting me help with your surprise. I should head out but have a great day tomorrow," Grant said. "I'll be volunteering at the homeless shelter in town. It's something I do every year. Things will be strange with the virus but I'm sure they'll follow the guidelines to keep everyone safe."

Geoff nodded. Grant reminded him of his grandfather who volunteered at food pantries whenever he could. Although he wasn't positive, he suspected the elderly man contributed monetarily as well.

"I'll be right back," Geoff said. "Don't leave, OK?"

He didn't wait for a reply. Grant had been with Geoff often enough to learn the man's mind never stopped working. Long before he expected, Geoff was back.

"I know you refused to let me pay you for helping with the playhouse. You remind me of my grandfather--not in age, obviously--but because of how you treat people. He was always there for others, especially anyone in need. In fact, I've been told I take after him," Geoff said before he realized the words sounded like bragging. "I wasn't looking for... I wasn't hoping for any praise..."

Grant grinned. He hadn't ever seen the man at a loss for words. "You don't have to explain anything to me."

Nodding, Geoff held his hand out. "This isn't much, but I hope it can help."

Grant didn't know what to say. The crisp piece of paper was a check for fifty thousand dollars made out to the homeless shelter. His mind raced as he took it.

"This... it's a lot of money."

"I hope they can find a good use for it. Look, I'm still new to the area even though I've been here for months. With the virus, I haven't been out in the community. If there's a need, then I want to help. Let them know it's up to them what they spend it on. The money doesn't have any stipulations with it," Geoff said.

"Do you have any idea what this will do? There's a constant need for food and clothing along with training to help people find jobs. The shelter never has enough..."

"I doubt it will help much this year, since they most likely have everything set for tomorrow. Grant, I'm not bragging, but giving them fifty thousand won't hurt me."

"I'll see that the correct people at the shelter get this. Don't be surprised if the director wants to thank you personally."

Geoff laughed. "Just don't give them my number."

"You're a man of mystery. Maybe one day, when all this virus crap is over, we can catch dinner somewhere. And although I won't try to get you to give up your secrets, you know I'm curious."

"I would be too. Now, I need to get inside and get some of this dirt off me. Thanks again for helping."

"I had fun. I'll see you next week to get back to work on your house as scheduled. Merry Christmas, Geoff."

Long after Grant left, Geoff sat in his office. His mind had so many things running through it he finally gave up and went to bed. The last word he remembered thinking was soon.