All Comments on 'Southern Heritage'

by MSTarot

Sort by:
  • 148 Comments (Page 2)
AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
Brilliant work!

Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant.

Writing her in dialect was a bit uneven and a little distracting. Usually everyone in a region speaks with the same basic dialect. Some words or idioms may vary, but everyone's English tends to be broken in the same way. The degree depends on education. It's best to either write everyone the same unless dialect is a pivotal plot point in the story.

As to the gunnery sergeant, I know Marines who refer to them as "gunny." They were noncoms and officers themselves, though.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
Wow!

Wow! Great story and so believable! This could be on a short story literature page just as well as Literotica.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago

I have no words for how good that was. Keep writing, you have a gift.

Would love to see this as a movie.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago

Absolutely wonderful

Love7903Love7903over 6 years ago
Wow!

You have a gift! I enjoyed this story very much.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Incredible

I envy your talent. Keep sharing.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
copyright

This isn't your story. You should credit the original author.

MSTarotMSTarotover 6 years agoAuthor
Nope

Sorry to burst your bubble of joy there Anon but it is my story. If you have seen it elsewhere it was stolen from this site.

Sources? Okay, I can do that for you

I live in the South. I grew up a decade and a half younger than the character in the story. In the same area ( I didn't mention where he's from because it's my hometown)

Let's see, I got the idea of a black maid from watching the movie Maids. I got the Marine Corp from my own families traditions. The racism I wrote about was the type I grew up seeing. The members of her family were my next door neighbors when I was a kid. Some of his family is a mixture of guys I work around and some I completely made up.

HIs car in the barn is based on my great uncle, he had one that had sat since Vietnam, untouched.

The restaurant where he and Curtis went and eat was across from a job site I was working on at the time. (Historically it did have that sign.)

The walks with a limp is from me. And all the rest of the story is built up similarly. Bits and pieces gathered into a story.

Thanks for the comment.

M.S.Tarot

zulugirl_ldn1zulugirl_ldn1over 6 years ago

What a beautiful story! I had my heart in my throat at times & even had to take a break cause it was getting too much. Thank you for this story. I wasn’t expecting to be so moved.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
Brings back memories

I am a Canadian who went to college in the US during the middle 60's. I had classmates who died in Vietnam and some who I think died several times after the service from the memories.

I also remember well the race riots and the bigotry that came to light during the times that followed. My fear is that Trump is trying to rekindle that hatred.

kinghicekinghiceabout 5 years ago
Time to come home

I wish I had words to describe how this makes me feel. I see every action, every emotion in your words. It makes me feel as if I were there watching it take place. I loved it.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
What a wonderful love story

Take away the venue and the races i(and the tags) involved and you still have a really inspiring love story.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
Wow!!!!!!

I am a hard reader to please. Very few people have the gift to write, even those who are considered to be masters at it. Not many can weave a tale, that never leaves the reader bored. You have a gift, so please never lay your pen down.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Excellent story

I am a white Canadian who does not understand why some people in the USA hate all black people. As I was growing up in Ontario, I was in grade six (1964) when we had our first black student at our small public school which only went to grade 6. You had to go to another school for grades 7 and 8. His name was Whitey which we didn’t see as any different than our own first names. He was very athletic and he demonstrated for us that he could do standing back flips. Although he was in grade 4, we included him in all of our recess games. I made sure he was on my scratch soccer team since he could out run everyone.

When I was in high school grade twelve, we had a former Hamilton Tiger Cat football player as a Physical Education teacher who’s name was Ralph Goldston. He was an excellent teacher who nurtured students to do better rather than beat on them. In all my years, think that Ralph was the most influential person in my life and he was black!

Why can’t people see other races as just people! See those people as individuals not as defined groups. Most people on this earth want to live in peace. This race hatred must stop.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Alright listen dickhead.

I come to this site to jerk my jollies, not make my fuckin heart explode. I hate you, and I love this story. Piss off, and thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
A most touching story

Rarely have I read on Literotica a story as touching as this one. It is very well done.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Positive

Simply Superb. I read it twice. Thank you. Semper Fidelis cfgz

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Thank you

This story brought some dignity to this website, whoda thunk it. Should be made into a movie.2

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Alabama

I remember those days in Bama

. It’s changed but some ways still the same. This story touched me deeply.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago

Brilliant, touched my heart - thank you and Merry Xmas and a hopefully healthy and happy 2021. Take care jw

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
I was in that hell hole in 68-69, and had black friends that I picked up along the way.

Born and Bred in Mississippi and still reside there.

Horseman68Horseman68about 3 years ago
Exceptional.

A great story. So appropriate to read at this time as we must overcome another period of racial bigotry in our history — and move forward into 2021 with hope. Bravos.

Allegedly_LiterateAllegedly_Literatealmost 3 years ago

The hate, the love, the divide, the forgiveness and the bravery of those times have a profound impact on today's society. Sadly it is relived. Bringing people together aa one human race seems impossible. Antisemitism is increasingly dividing us from our common core values. Most say they aren't racist but what shows in our environment, children and culture shows otherwise. The very future education of our youth needs a overhaul.

Cor007Cor007almost 3 years ago

Difficult subject, beautifully highlighted.

MarsPatrolMarsPatrolalmost 3 years ago

A beautiful love story ❤️

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Wow,what a great story,thank you

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Absolutely amazing. So much addressed in this story. But the greatest, persevering Love.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

On the last page when he pulled rank over his brother, I wanted to stand up and cheer. It definitely made me smile. I'm a black woman in Alabama who was born in the mid-to-late seventies and my ex-husband is white. The obvious N-word (as well as the other racial slurs) made me uncomfortable. But in the context of the story and where it's taking place, I understand it. Beautifully done love story. Thank you for such realism. Makes it much easier to digest.

juanviejojuanviejoalmost 2 years ago

As a son of the Sixties who spent nearly the entirety of that decade in the Services of our country, I can truly relate to so much of your story. In many respects, it tugs at my very soul and I thank you for it. CONCO ESTRELLAS!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

As the spouse of a woman of East Indian heritage and as a veteran (US Army), your story cuts deeply within my own experiences. I can relate to so many aspects of your love story in an even more modern day context. So true how so many things do not truly change, yet it is better today than in your story's setting. As many other readers/comments have already said, thank you for writing this wonderfully beautiful story of love, change, forgiveness and humanity.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Beautiful and sexy story.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Lovely story

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

This is brilliant. Well crafted. It captures some very real and candid emotions. Thank you for writing this.

lc69hunterlc69hunteralmost 2 years ago

Oh fuck. So many memories. I joined the Marines in 1970 and hit Nam in 72. I remember so many of these events. Dad was a preacher, and even though he said he wasn't racist, black people had to have their own churches, because they were not welcome in ours.

I truly thank you for this story

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

This is a splendid story. The author obviously knows the terrain from personal experience. Absolutely authentic; I grew up to adulthood in Mississippi, through the mid-sixties, and I can say that MSTarot has told it like it was. Thanks for this inspiring tale.

mfbridgesmfbridgesover 1 year ago

Darn good story for so many reasons. Please continue down down this path.

piercednprettypiercednprettyover 1 year ago

I am in tears! Such a beautiful story! I love your writing style! 💯

AnonymousAnonymous12 months ago

I am an Asian! My heritage had been colonized by Spain, English, American, Japanese and then back by Americans. Racism had been tempered by democracy and education. But still until now, we Filipinos are still Little Brown Americans !

AnonymousAnonymous12 months ago

An amazing story that's very well written!

AnonymousAnonymous11 months ago

Beautiful story, wonderful!

JustplainjeffJustplainjeff11 months ago

My wife and I just read this marvelous story, again. Ad a Viet Name era veteran, I know a lot about the people in this story. It remains one of my all time favorites.

AnonymousAnonymous9 months ago

Wonderful story and wonderfully written. I was not expecting that or the emotions it evoked. At all. Thank you.

analustanalust8 months ago

Terrific story, well written and edited. I was in Vietnam for a while and this brought old feelings to the fore. Thank you

dmallorddmallord4 months ago

It brings back the hair-raising feelings of those old days. Ironically, yesterday, January 1, 2024, I wrote an Alabama story set in the 1940s. Black and White love, though not over the war itself going on then. The sentiment was similar. Your story was much better told. Thanks for a good read.

Crusader235Crusader2354 months ago

If your a Vet you'll understand:

Hand salute..... Too! Semper Fi

DwarfLord50DwarfLord503 months ago

That was amazing! Thank you.

dirtyoldbimandirtyoldbiman10 days ago

Better than awesome and or excellent. Glad I wasn't in their situation. USAF, 1970-74 and a year in Thailand, 72-73.

12
Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous