Southern Tide Vol. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Two weeks had passed since the argument with Dale. Cat slumped down on her couch in a blue cotton robe, with a pint of Haagen-Dazs Banana Split ice-cream. After a long day at work, she needed a little treat. She had already taken a shower, and was about to curl up to one of her favorite novels, but memories of Dale persisted in her mind. Today she had taken an important step in hopes of ridding her thoughts of him.

She didn't want to take the dress back personally. Instead, she researched the location and found his address. She had the dress dry-cleaned, and shipped it back to him with a little card saying that she was sorry for invading his privacy. She really was sorry. If she hadn't taken the dress, he wouldn't have been so angry.

She had however, expected him to say something in her defense while Brian demeaned her. Instead, Brian dominated the conversation and seemed to have a hold over Dale. Cat didn't blame him. Only big women knew what it was like to get passed up for the petite beauties.

Whether it was because of peer pressure or because men were repulsed by fat, she had always been the last resort. Black men wanted Beyoncé types, Hispanic men wanted Jennifer Lopez types and Caucasian men probably wanted whatever super model was hot this year. Her petite sister used to joke that she would be an old lady living alone with 12 cats. Maybe that's what the future held for her; Cat with 12 cats.

She knew that Dale was probably ashamed to admit his feelings to Brian...if he ever had any. For the entire time she was his guest, he seemed happy, and she wanted to leave him on that note. She really shouldn't have taken the dress in the first place.

Yet, Dale probably used the fact that she was wearing it as an excuse to escape from the first scenario. Cat didn't know what was really going on in his mind. She had given up on trying to understand men years ago. Whatever he thought, he wouldn't have to worry about her anymore. He'd be much better off with some girl who met his and Brian's standards.

Her heart ached as she thought those words. She was almost beginning to relax around him. That morning he kissed and held her as if she was more than just a "thing" that could ease his sexual urges. He hadn't whipped it out or ravaged her. Instead her pleasure had been his sole concern. Needless to say she was perplexed, and would be lying if she said that she didn't want him.

"Oh well, life goes on." she quietly mumbled to herself, knowing full well that she didn't want to go on without him.

Cat thought that she could speak the words into being. It was very unlikely that any of it would happen but she kept repeating those words in her mind like a mantra, as she opened up the book.

It was very late and dark outside. Dale and Brian sat in chairs on the front porch, as icy sheets of rain came down in torrents. The weather, like Dale's mood was not letting up. Max was relaxed and lay at his feet as he sipped on a cold beer. His mind was fixated on Cat. What was she doing right now? Did she miss him? Did she even want him anymore? Marie's clothes had been the same way she left them before her death, and so was Jessie's room. He had kept Cat in the guest room, and never expected her to find Marie's things.

Dale knew that he had overreacted about the dress, and consequently, his actions had driven her away. He also failed to console her after Brian's shocking words, and he didn't know which offense was worst. Of course he still adored her, and was almost ready to let go of the past. However, that unexpected moment when Cat came up to him in Marie's dress, sparked this anger in him and brought back all of the painful memories. At the time, he never wanted to see her again; that's how angry he'd been. Soon after, he realized what an ass he and Brian had made of themselves.

When Brian returned a few hours later without her, Dale knew that he would never see her again. She had never given him her address, phone number, or even her last name. Only she knew where to find him, but the chances of her ever coming back were slim. He wished that he could go back to the argument. He would tell Brian to shut the hell up, and let him decide who was good for him. He would show Cat that he had taken the ring off, and was ready to take things to the next level. It was too late now, and he was going to be miserable for the rest of his life. Brian had been staring at him the whole time, and interrupted his thoughts.

"What's the matter man?" Brian asked.

"Nuthin...why?" Dale mumbled.

"You're all quiet and shit."

"I'm just thinking."

"About her?"

"Yeah about her."

"Shit man...I should've stayed my ass home that morning!"

"It don't matter...everything would've played out the same way. I'm just glad you didn't leave her out there all alone."

"Nah I couldn't do that. She called me out on my shit too. Not a lot of people would do that."

"Yea well, you said some pretty fucked up things. I would've left too if I was her."

"Come on man, she'll come back. You'll see."

"Nah she's not coming back. Who the hell would after all that?"

Brian was quiet and seemed to realize that his best friend was probably right. He'd never learned to keep his mouth shut. Maybe that's why like Dale, he was single again.

Just then, the home phone rang, and Dale got up to answer it. He didn't know who it could be and his pessimism told him that it couldn't be Cat.

"Hello?" he answered the caller.

"Hi, is this Brian?" a woman asked.

"No, who is this?"

"Can I talk to Brian please? It's important."

Dale called out to his friend and waited for him to approach. He had no idea who this person could be. He looked at the caller ID, and didn't recognize the number. No one ever called his home asking for Brian, and this person definitely wasn't Cat. Brian looked at Dale with a look of confusion and took the phone in hand.

"Hello?" Brian answered.

(Pause)

"Yeah this is Brian...who's this?"

(Pause)

Brian was quiet for a long time as he listened to the other person. He was frowning now and looked quite upset.

"Look lady, my wife didn't die. I've never had a wife...and you got the wrong person. Yeah I'm the one who said those things, and I already apologized."

(Pause)

"Yeah...alright. Well I'm sorry for what I said. Don't yell at me lady. You don't know me, so don't talk to me like that! I already told Cat I'm sorry, and I'm sure she don't need you to fight her battles for her!" and he hung up the phone.

"Who was that?" Dale asked, frowning.

"I think some cousin or friend of Cat... I don't know. She was yelling' at me and sayin' because my wife died I treated Cat like shit, and called her names."

Dale realized that this was probably that cousin she called. She must have gotten him and Brian mixed up. He picked up the phone and began to call her back.

"I need to talk to her...just give me a minute." he said to Brian.

Brian was frustrated enough, and without saying anything, he walked back to the porch to finish his beer.

"Hello?" the woman answered after a few rings.

There was still anger in her voice and Dale swallowed hard.

"Hi...uh you just called my home, and I think there's been some sort of mistake."

"Look I already said what I wanted to say to that asshole. If he only knew how he made her feel."

"Wait. Just calm down. I think you're mistaking the two of us. I'm Dale, the guy that rescued her from the water. Brian's my best friend, but I'm the one whose wife died."

"Oh...well when she told me what happened I guess I was so upset, I wasn't listening straight."

"Is she with you right now?"

"No. She never came here. After she left you, she went straight home."

The words "after she left you" made Dale's heart sink. It was entirely his fault that she'd left, and he wanted her back.

"Can you give me her phone number? I never got it back then."

"I don't know if that's a good idea...she told me about the dress and what happened. I'm sorry about your wife, and she probably shouldn't have done that. She doesn't feel good about it. I can understand why you got mad...but Cat has a lot of problems about liking herself. I just thought that both of you were way too harsh. And your friend? Oh my God! Like what the fuck? Why did he have to say those things? I mean I know not everyone likes big girls, and I don't expect most people to...but to call her a quarterback? That's so fucked up! Your friend is fucked up! I'll bet his girl doesn't know what kind of an assho..."

As she said all this her voice fluctuated from calm and composed, to an angry and high-pitched shriek. Dale was quick to interrupt her before she blew her top.

"Look I'm sorry for what my friend said, and I want to make it up to her. Can I please have her number? I want to apologize."

"You've got a lot of work to do if you want to make things right!"

"I know...I really like her and I want to see her again."

Kiara sighed and paused for a moment.

"Look Dale...I don't know you, and I can't imagine what it's like to lose someone you love...but if you're not really ready to make things right, don't ask me for her number. She's been through her own shit too. I love her and don't want to see her get hurt...and y'all did that once already."

"I know...uh well...it's okay. If you ever see her, or talk to her, tell her that I'm sorry and I hope that one day she comes back."

"Just...tell her yourself." she sighed. "Got a pen?"

"Yeah, yeah...just a minute!" and he pulled his cell phone out of his pocket, and added the number to his contacts list.

"You better take care of my cousin...or I'll find you. I know where you live." she warned.

"No problem, you won't have to worry about that. What's your name? I never got it." he smiled.

"Kiara."

"Well thank you for calling Kiara. I wouldn't be able to apologize without your help. And Brian...he deserved all that. Both of us did...but believe me, he really is sorry."

"Well you better make it up to her. He should too."

"Yeah...will do. Thanks again."

"Okay, goodnight."

Dale hung up and looked to Brian on the porch. He looked bored, and was staring up at the dark sky as if searching for something. Dale looked at the time. It was 10 pm; not that late. Maybe he could get to talk to her tonight. He wanted to be alone for the call, so he walked over to Brian, ready to announce that he was going to bed.

"I'm going to turn in tonight." Dale said, trying not to sound too anxious.

Yep...I'm gonna head home before this shit gets worse. You got her number right?"

"Yeah...I might call her in a lil bit. I don't know...it's kinda late."

"Just call her man...don't want nobody to steal her away do ya? Call me tomorrow and let me know what happens."

"Yup...see ya!"

"Yeah...later Maxie!" and Brian ran for his truck.

Dale collected the empty beer bottles, and headed inside with Max. He was a little nervous, but he needed to know that she was alright. He wanted her forgiveness and most of all, for her to come back.

He sat down on the same couch where he had massaged her leg, with his phone clutched in one hand. If only he could touch her skin once more. He wasn't thinking in sexual terms just yet. He missed her whole being. The sight of her pretty face alone would have made him happy.

He took a deep breath and hit the call button. It rang three times and then she picked up.

"Hello?" she answered.

"Hi Cat."

"Who's this?"

"It's...Dale."

"Dale? Oh...hi. How did you get my number?"

"Your cousin Kiara, she called my house."

"She did? Why?"

"To curse Brian out...and to give me a piece of her mind." he smiled.

"God...Dale I'm sorry. I didn't know she would do something like that. I'm sorry if she disrespected you or..."

"No Cat...listen I wanted to tell you that I was sorry. I overreacted and I shouldn't have yelled at you."

"It's fine Dale. I was wrong to take her clothes. I just wanted to get out of there after...well you know."

"Yeah. I should've stopped him. My head was all messed up, and I'm sorry Cat."

"Do you...feel the same way that he does? About how I look?"

"No Cat, I never did. I thought you were beautiful. I still do. I was more worried about his opinion and not you. I fucked up."

"We both fucked up huh?" and he could tell that she was smiling on the other end.

"Yes but I want to make things right. I...want to see you again Cat. I miss you."

She sighed deeply, but didn't answer. In turn his heart sank, because he thought that she would probably give him a chance.

"I guess that's a no then. Well...I just thought I'd try. At least I got to hear your voice."

"Dale...I was happy, with you and Max. It felt like home, being there with you. I wanted to stay, but I felt like you were ashamed of me. It's not the first time someone denied me in front of a friend. After it happens I usually suck it up and pretend that I'm okay. This time...I'm not okay. I probably shouldn't take it that way, because you have to think about your wife and son...and how you would move on. I don't know Dale. I'm just tired...you know?"

"I understand Cat...I really wanted to get to know you more. I wanted to talk to you about us, but then Brian came over, and everything got fucked up from there. Would you want to see me again? Maybe in the future?"

"I-I don't know Dale. I'm going to have to think about it."

"Sure Cat...no pressure. Well, do you mind if I call you from time to time? I need someone to make me laugh again, and Brian's not cutting it!"

"I did give you a few laughs back then didn't I?" she said in a more cheerful tone.

"Yeah...so can I?"

"Sure Dale...I don't mind. I guess you can call me after work tomorrow. I get off at 9."

"Are you saying goodbye now?"

"Well um...no I..."

"Don't go yet...please. Just stay with me for five minutes?"

"Sure. How's Max doing?"

"He's sad because you're gone."

"Don't try to lay a guilt trip on me!" she laughed.

"I'm not. We both miss you."

"I miss you guys too. How's the flooding? Is all the water gone?"

"Yeah just about...but it's still raining."

"Oh I'm sorry...guess it's isn't getting any better huh?"

"Nah I'm feeling good now. I'm talking to my sunshine, so I don't really care about the rain."

"You're so corny. Don't try to sweet talk me! It's not working." she laughed.

"Oh no? Kiara was right. I've got a lot of work to do." he joked.

"Yup you've got your work cut out for you. It's kind of getting late, and I have to be at work early. I guess I'll call you after work."

"Sure Cat...can I text you before that?"

"Okay. My lunch break would be a good time."

"Alright well good night babe...I mean um, I'll talk to you later."

"Goodnight Dale." she giggled. "Give Max a hug for me."

"Will do. Good night." and he hung up with a sigh of relief.

Max was looking up at him, as if he knew that it was Cat on the phone.

"She misses you too buddy." Dale said, as he patted Max on the head.

He was glad that he took the chance to call her. It would take some time before she would want to have a proper conversation with him and he would wait. He would only text her for now. If she wanted to hear his voice again, he would wait on her to ask. Dale didn't want to risk driving her away a second time.

Cat lay in bed, still with her cell phone in hand. She couldn't believe that Dale called her. She never thought that she would hear his voice again. But it actually felt good to have him in her ear. She shivered as she thought of the moment when he reached under her clothes to caress her body. She was being weak, but she couldn't help her feelings. She wasn't sure of what to do next because she was still hurt by everything that took place. What would keep him from hiding her from the rest of his friends? She was in love with the thought of being with him, yet she couldn't trust him yet. Who knew if he would refuse to acknowledge her in public?

"Well...it's not like I'm going to go back there. We'll just be texting." she said aloud, as if trying to convince herself that it wasn't a bad idea.

She wondered if he'd gotten the dress yet. Probably not. He hadn't mentioned it. She looked down again at the phone and proceeded to call Kiara. She wasn't at all upset that her cousin scolded the two men. If anything, they deserved a harsh word or two and Kiara had delivered on that. After a few seconds, Kiara picked up.

"Hello?" Kiara said.

"Hey Ki"

"Hey what's up?"

"I just got a call from Dale. He said that you cursed him and Brian out?"

"Damn he's quick! Blew me up huh? Well correction. I cursed the asshole out. Dale, I just gave a lecture to."

"Mmm-hmm...what kind of lecture?"

"Oh nothing crazy. Just that I know where he lives, and I'll find him if he hurts you again." her cousin laughed.

"Oh man! Ki why are you trying to scare the guy?"

"Tell me he didn't deserve it!" Kiara probed.

"Well he might have, but that doesn't mean we have to stoop to their level."

Kiara laughed "Well Dale called you didn't he? If that didn't scare him, then what are you worried about?"

"You're right but...I don't know."

"He kind of sounds like a nice guy. I think he just needs to speak for himself, and not let the asshole make decisions for him."

"I know. I'm just scared it might happen again, you know?"

"Well it's your call babes. You don't have to go crawling back. Just take your time and see where his head is at. He did save your life. Well, not that it's an excuse for what he did, but give the guy a little break."

"You wanna get with him or something?" Cat teased.

"Hey...dude does sound sexy over the phone!" Kiara laughed.

"Well you can't have him!"

"Oooh excuuuse me! He got any brothers?"

"No, just the asshole."

Both women laughed and continued their conversation for a while longer. Kiara had always been the one to make her feel better. Cat soon hung up and went to bed, with Dale still on her mind. She didn't know what path to take, but she couldn't turn him away either. She was all for second chances, but she wasn't sure that she could handle any more pain.

"I'll just sleep on it." she sighed.

Her heart was heavy, but she tried to ignore it and headed for bed.

Chapter Five

After a while, Cat had gotten into the habit of speaking to Dale almost daily. Out of caution, she still kept her inner thoughts and emotions a secret. Her heart had survived their recent argument, but the shock and hurt of it all still lingered. After receiving the dress, Dale became even more remorseful about his actions. He had apologized profusely, and when Cat came home from work, after a week of random phone calls and text messages from him, she found a parcel addressed to her; posted from his address.

Inside was a beautiful black lace dress by Donna Karen. She held it up, and admired the cut, as well as the silver threading along the hem and bodice, which made the dress shimmer with every movement. A tiny black gift box accompanied the dress, and inside was a silver bangle, encrusted with three white emerald cut stones, which may have been diamonds. She wasn't exactly sure.

At first she was delighted to receive such beautiful gifts from a man. Not once had she ever received flowers, chocolates, or any sentimental gifts from the opposite sex. The items looked very expensive, yet she was suddenly struck with a worrisome thought: maybe he was trying to buy her into coming back. She did of course, want to go back. Dale had been a fool, but he had also charmed her. So much so that she wanted things to continue from where they left off.

Considering the circumstances, all she could do was call to question his reasoning. She was grateful, but she would reveal her gratitude only after she'd had a good talk with him. Not waiting to undress from her work clothes, or even sit down, she pulled out her cellphone from her side bag and called him.

1...456789