Speaking with Forked Tongues Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The man on the other side of the desk shifted uncomfortably. Mara stormed from the room, slamming the door behind her. Rhett and Skye quickly dismissed themselves from the office, pausing in the hall for a moment. "This is not how I saw my day going," Rhett noted with perplexity.

"Having second doubts?"

"Not even a little," he assured her, wrapping his arms around her.

The two parted ways after a quick peck. The rest of the day Rhett felt eyes following him. As he entered rooms, voices fell to hushed whispers. All the attention made his skin crawl. Skye met him outside his office on his way out and judging by her face her day didn't go any better. Curiously, her brunette wig was nowhere to be seen. She all but ran to his side, throwing her arms around him. He hugged her tight, affectionately ruffling her hair. She stared up at him with a bitter pout. Even with that harsh and distressed expression she was incredibly cute. "Your ex is a cunt," she remarked in an acerbic tone.

"She really is," Rhett agreed sourly. Skye seemed shocked at his response. Normally her rumor mongering and troublesome attitude barely registered, but when it was targeted at Skye, he found himself seething. It was a strange side to himself that he didn't even know was there. He was never the protective or jealous type, but Skye brought a lot of interesting sides out of him. "I take it she told everyone?"

"Anyone who'd listened. I went to all that trouble to look professional and she ruined it in a single afternoon."

"For what it's worth, I much prefer the real you."

"I have to agree with Rhett on this one," a voice sounded, causing the couple to flinch. "I hear congratulations are in order," Alexander commented with a wry smile.

"I see you heard."

"That you're marrying a barely legal snake tongued temp? Hard not to with that harpy about."

"That cunt," Rhett cursed grimly, scratching at his salt and pepper beard. Alexander's eyebrow twitched upwards.

"You're a lot more fun with her around."

"She has a strange effect on me."

"I thoroughly approve. You two are weirdly good together."

"Thanks."

"I gotta ask," Alexander turned to Skye, "can I see it?"

Skye shrugged, sticking out her forked tongue. Alexander's eyes went wide in disbelief. "Holy shit." He clapped Rhett on the back in a congratulatory manner. "Good catch."

"Yeah, yeah. Better keep your hands and eyes to yourself," Rhett grumbled in response.

"I will," Alexander laughed heartily. "I think you'd bite my head off if I didn't."

After a final congratulations, Alexander left the couple alone. On the way to the parking structure Skye and Rhett briefly discussed the future. He asked her to move in, an offer to which she eagerly agreed. "Can we do it today?" She inquired hopefully.

"Anything for my princess," he responded with a warm grin, causing her cheeks to flush red.

Skye directed him to the address, a sizeable place uptown. He marveled at the structure as he pulled up. "You... live here?"

Skye grinned guiltily. "I may have forgotten to mention a few things," she replied with chagrin.

"I'll say," he murmured, staring up at the elegant structure.

"I still live at my parent's house. They insisted I stay until I got my act together and started in on a career."

Rhett winced. He knew that she was significantly younger, but the gap felt even more noticeable at that moment. Skye shifted nervously in her seat. "I can tell that's not all, let's hear it."

"After I finished my term in the Navy... my parents got me a job at their company."

Rhett performed a double take. "Their company?" He stared at her in abject horror. "No..." He rested his head on the steering wheel. He should have known. He thought he recognized her last name. He had just been too occupied during the proceedings in human resources to connect the dots. "Please don't tell me I proposed to the CEO's daughter."

12