Spellbound Heartwood

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"How much for this?" Fib asked.

"Why, hello, dear! A rose, is it?" she said. Her face immediately lit up. "You have a lovely bird thing."

Berry cawed in what was assumedly thanks. Fortunately, he didn't speak and scare her off.

"Yes. One, please. It's very important," Fib said. Not that someone who didn't practice magic would know.

"Let me go get you one now."

"Get me one? What's wrong with this one?"

"It's fake, dear." She chuckled. "It's for display. They would all wilt away if left there."

"Oh. Yes. Naturally."

The older woman got up and disappeared behind another door. Berry squawked in laughter.

"Shut up, you," Fib hissed.

Soon enough, the woman was back with her rose, wrapped in a lovely bit of colorful paper.

"Here you are, dear. Are you sure you have enough coin for it?" the woman asked.

"Yes, yes, here's your coin, count out as much as you need." Fib hefted up her sack of money onto the counter and waved her hand. "Thank you for your services."

"Alright, dear, take good care of it." The woman plucked out a few coins.

Fib took hold of the rose and retrieved her cash.

"Is that for your sweetheart, little one?" the woman asked.

"My what?"

"The one you love."

Fib's thoughts halted. She looked at the rose. In a way, it was. For her, more directly, but still used to impress him. Oh, who was to say it was even love? Being lonely all day would drive anyone insane, doll or not. And yet, her insanity insisted it was.

"Yes," she said softly.

That word, she told herself, was only to prevent her nose from popping free. A small part of herself was simply happy to admit it to someone else, as if that somehow made it genuine. Someone other than a silly bird.

"Then I hope he enjoys it," the woman replied.

"Thank you."

Fib looked to the rose and bumbled right back out of the store. A flower of the heart, that shows love. She shook her head. Can't get all gooey now. More ingredients. Not only the rose, but a bit of hair from Declan as well. Humans had hair that fell out all the time, right? Shouldn't be too hard. Next were various amounts of random ingredients. Some she had at home, some that had to be bought. She tucked the flower into her coat and continued on.

"Lovey lovey?" Berry said.

"Shut up. It's for polymorphism."

"Polymorph of the heart."

"That doesn't even make any sense."

"Neither do you."

A few more people glanced her way for muttering to a bird, so Fib hurried her pace. Yeah, it probably wasn't normal for people to talk to animals, was it? Crows could mimic speech normally, but few were on Berry's own level. She had to guess Eloise only enchanted him for the sake of novelty. Eloise was witchy alright, and it seemed like every aspect of her life had to reflect that. Fib couldn't be too weirded out as the witchiness lead to her creation, after all.

Fib slowly realized she probably should've written everything down. Memorization was easy when you weren't constantly worried about everyone around you. Nonetheless, she managed to ask herself a few questions and work out what she was missing, going from store to store without much incident. She still got amused glances and head tilting stares.

Before long, Fib had a veritable cornucopia of ingredients, some harvesting tools, and a bag to stuff them all into. Were she able to, she would have had a smug smile on her face. It was a delight buying things and arranging them into order. She just silently hoped that Eloise wouldn't come back and wonder where all of her money went. Feh, she left it. As far as Fib was concerned, it may as well be inheritance. That would... make Eloise her mother, wouldn't it? That was a weird thought.

The walk back home was a simple one. With some remembered paths, and a little bit of help from Berry, Fib was able to spot her home in the distance. She walked right up to the front door.

"Wait, wait, wait," Berry said.

"What is it?" Fib asked.

"Don't you want more fun?"

"I had my fun, now I'm ready for work."

"There are more things outside!"

"Yeah, well..." Fib looked to a passerby, who also stared back. "I've had enough 'things' for the day. Needless to say there's not a lot of good things specifically." She placed her hand on the doorhandle.

Just then, the front door to the bookstore swung open, rattling its bell in the process. Fib froze.

"Excuse me, are you the witch?" a voice said.

It was a soft yet firm masculine tone. One that Fib had only ever heard at a distance, through muffled floorboards. Her hand jerked back away from the door handle, eyes uneasily shifting left to look at the man. Declan. He was right there. The closest he had ever been.

"He's talking to you," Berry whispered.

"Shut up," Fib replied.

"I don't mean to be a bother, but... I need help with something," Declan said. He took a step forward, door closing behind him. "Please. I have the money for it." His expression hardened.

Fib hardly processed his words, eyes rolling around in her head. The one thing she so hopelessly desired was mere steps away from her, trying to get her attention. She swiveled to her right and immediately burst into a panicked sprint.

"Why are you running?!" Berry asked.

"I don't know!" Fib replied.

Her body careened around the building, into an alleyway. Footsteps were chasing after her, only enhancing the panic she felt, mind failing to string any coherent thoughts together. She burst into a clearing of trees, where the cobble below her gave way into dirt. The sudden new terrain made her lose her balance and tumble into the dirt, landing in front of a tree stump.

The footsteps came closer.

"Are you OK?!" Declan called out.

Berry squawked and flew off.

"Coward!" Fib hissed.

That anger fell away, leaving her back at fear. Fib let herself go limp. Maybe he'd just think she was a puppet. She just couldn't stand to face him properly, not now, not like this. Declan couldn't see her for the animate piece of wood that she was.

Her hopes and dreams approached, carefully stepping over to her.

"Hello?" he said, prodding at her. "Are you alright?"

Fib had a brief mental battle over whether or not to close her eyes. Open. Leave them open. Declan's hands were so gentle as he eased her onto her back. She was given a near-full view of his kind visage looking down at her.

The scarf was pulled away. Declan's perfect brow merely raised. She mentally screamed at herself to stay still, ignoring any desire to reach out and poke at him.

"Witch?" he said.

Fib gave no reply. If this all worked out, maybe she could then introduce herself later as this witch. The proper, human witch he wanted. Good thing she couldn't smile. She was quite proud of that silly little plan.

Rather than leave her alone, Declan picked her up into his arms, examining her form. Her eye twitched. Keep it together! She could practically feel his eyes rub across her body.

"Uh, hello? Witch? Can you see me?" Declan asked. He waved his hand in front of Fib.

The puppet trick was working! But... what now? Fib knew she couldn't carry the act of actually being a powerful magic user. At least not a presentable one. She'd certainly stumble over her words, and then he'd be weirded out, then scared, and then this whole thing would go up in flames. Probably her whole abode would literally go up in flames. They were fine with a remotely controlled puppet, but a living one? No way.

Before Fib could conclude with her parade of woes, Declan cradled her, sending all of her thoughts careening into a brick wall. Being limp now was so easy. She now faced the sky, seeing how the wind played across his short hair. He had a faint smell of aged wood and old books about him. All of his little details played over and over in her head.

The over-indulgent admiring came to a halt as the front door to the book store closed, bringing Fib somewhat back to reality. She was practically in the belly of the beast, now. Declan sat Fib upright on his counter and looked her over.

"Let's just keep you here until the witch comes by, OK?" He chuckled to himself. "I'll take good care of you, no worries."

Declan leaned back in his chair and picked up a turned over book. It was titled "Horticultural Cures for Modern Ailments". Fib stopped herself from spinning her eyes. The guy who wrote that is an amateur! A dork! A quack! You don't just toss plants in a pot and mash 'em up! What'll they come up with next?

Out of the corner of her eye, Fib spotted Berry sat on the outer windowsill. He turned his head to the side, eyeing her up. He lacked the ability to smile, but by the heavens above she could feel one forming in his thoughts. Oh, boy, he was eating this entirely up. If she could move, she'd create a small little pop in the air to startle him.

Berry was off again, distantly squawking. This was his stupid idea in the first place!

"Bastard," Fib hissed.

Declan perked up from his book, looking at Fib. She froze again. Being a doll was harder work than she thought. He set down his reading material and gently plucked her hat from her head, straightening it out.

"You've got an awfully fancy wardrobe," he said. Declan set the hat back on her head carefully. Leaning back in his chair, Declan placed a hand on his chin and looked to her intently.

Fib struggled to not to squirm under his gaze. This was really, really hard. Not once in her life had Declan looked in her direction. He never had a reason to look up. Now it was on full blast, piercing her simple wooden exterior.

"Can anyone hear me?" Declan asked, waving his hand. He pursed his lips and straightened in his chair. "I know this is sudden, but I need help." His eyes wavered from Fib for a moment. "See, my mother, she... Some sort of illness has plagued her for weeks now, and what few doctors I can afford can't help. I was hoping I could seek out your help." He shrugged, swallowing. "I'm not sure what that would cost, but I'm willing to give anything I can."

For a moment, the light from outside caught on his eyes, revealing a bit of a teary shine to them. Fib felt a firm grasp around the depths of her chest. No heart, but still, she felt its pain. She had to help him, somehow. If there were anything she could do with her pointless existence, it was this. Still, nerves gripped every wooden fiber inside her.

All she had to do was act her role. Doll. Puppet. Plaything for imagination. It was what she was born to do, right? Be Eloise's toy once more.

Fib slowly blinked. Declan perked up, leaning toward her.

"Witch?" he said.

She opened her mouth. Come on, have some guts. Prove to that dumb bird that you can handle the outside world. Only, without any lies. Fib stood up.

"Yes, I am a witch." She made the sound of throat clearing. "The witch that presides over this land! What does a mortal like you need from my majesty?" That sounded so dumb, but it's exactly how she remembered Eloise talking.

Declan stood up, meeting her height. Now eye to eye. This was too close! Fib held steady. Witch. You're a witch, act like one!

"Oh, thank goodness," he said. "Could we maybe speak face to face? It seems mean of me to ask for help through your doll."

How so politely rude. Fib internally sighed.

"No matter. I can help you as a doll as well as a person. Thus is the strength of my skill." She nodded fervently, as if that would somehow make it more true. Certainly made it more true to her. Wasn't enough for her nose to pop off, in any case. "Tell me your--" Petty woes? No, that was way too mean. "Sorrows, and the witch will help." She motioned her hand toward him, goading him on.

"Wonderful. Wonderful! As I said, my mother, she's fallen ill, and no matter my attempts, I can't find any sort of panacea." He picked up the book, showing it to her. "Even with this, I cannot find anything." Then, he set it down.

"Well! I should say you wouldn't get any answers from that!" Fib nudged it off the desk with her foot. "Whoever wrote it is some desperate soul who has no clue of curatives or anything of the sort!"

Declan picked it off the floor. "Do respect books, at least," he said. "A living thing was harvested to print on."

The sincerity caught Fib off-guard. She shifted her gaze away, rubbing her shoe into the counter.

"Yes, well," she said, "still not the best reading literature. How about you explain these symptoms to me and I'll be able to concoct something to heal what ails her."

"Yes, of course. Here, I wrote several notes on it," he said.

Declan reached under the counter, pulled out a small notebook and handed it to Fib. She nodded and flipped through it. It was more of a journal, at first, explaining his new day-to-day life in this town. How intimate! Fib nonchalantly memorized a few choice bits, such as what he enjoyed, and his favorite spots in town, then continued on to the point that made mention of his mother's issues.

Spots on the skin. Chest pains. Weakness. Joint problems. Along with general descriptions of lethargy and emotional pain.

Despite Declan's clear attempts at remaining objective in his observations with technical wording, it was clear this took his toll on him. The handwriting here degraded into more firm strokes of a pen, with the occasional scribbled word motioned in clear agony. Fib couldn't fail him in something so serious.

"Yes. I will do this for you," she said, closing the book.

"Thank you, thank you!" He grabbed her by the shoulders. "What do you want in turn?"

Fib's eyes struggled to stay straight. "Th-That will be decided upon later. For now, we must collect the ingredients as I dictate."

"Of course. Will your doll be able to tell if an ingredient is good? I'm sure there's a level of quality each one has to have, right? Like the book said."

"Yes. The doll can tell. Worry not." She looked to the floor. "Though, the doll might need your assistance in moving about. If-- If that's perfectly fine..."

"Of course."

Instantly, Declan swept her up into his arms. Fib was sat on an upward palm against his chest, while an arm wrapped around her. She thanked Eloise for not giving her a heart, because if she did, it would have been pounding out of her wooden chest. Keep steady! This was for Declan's sake!

Fib was carried out back into the world. It was strange seeing it from this new position. A position of power! Almost. She could see Berry flap from roof to roof, squawking. Yeah, yeah, laugh it up.

"Where to first? Do you have a list? Are the ingredients nearby? I should be home by midnight at the very least," he said.

He was getting as panicky as she was, for the right reasons. Couldn't work out if they were both extremely excited.

"Relax. I have all the answers." Fib's nose nudged forward. She loudly coughed and slotted it back in. "I have the ingredients in mind. Some of it will require foraging, however, as no one would normally bother to gather them."

"Foraging. Got it. I can forage."

There was a hint of doubt in his own voice. He wasn't exactly outfitted for it either, with his button-up shirt and dress shoes and clean business-like pants. There was a cute flair to him, almost like he should be protected, but he was the one holding her, and he wanted to lead the charge. Fib stroked her hair and held back a giggle.

"Witch?" he asked.

"Oh, yes. Right. Onwards. We'll retrieve our first ingredient from the store."

"Which store?"

Fib's eyes spun. She hadn't even really paid attention to stores past what they might've had inside. It was all busywork.

"Milk, we need milk first and foremost. It will make the rest of the concoction go down easier," she said.

"You make it sound like a horrifying creation. I suppose that's fitting for a witch."

"Isn't it just? Not many can appreciate the level of danger that goes into our work. One incorrect ingredient can turn the most benign of mixtures into a miasma of death." She paused. "Not that it will happen with this mix! It's mostly purely medicinal. No physical magical objects required."

"Really?" Declan hefted her up, getting a better handle on her bottom. "Why isn't it more common knowledge, then?"

"Not all doctors have good intents. Much like many sorcerers keep their knowledge to themselves. A sad state of affairs, really. Even..." Would it be a lie? "My senior witch." Her nose twitched. "The one who made me who I am today." It stopped. She sighed. "She kept all of her notes in secret code. Of course, I spent a lot of time studying under her to the point where I can understand such magical enigmas. It's practically my entire existence."

"Do you speak to others often, Ms. Witch?"

"I... can't say that I do."

Declan chuckled. "You seem very excited to tell others about your work, is all. I imagine you're very busy and don't get the opportunity much?"

"That is true."

"You know, I've asked you for help and I don't even know your name. That's rude of me."

Declan seemed to pay no mind to the several people looking at him carrying along a large doll and talking to it. It seemed almost natural to him.

"My name?" she asked.

"Yes, your name."

That felt so personal! Almost like if he knew it, he had total power over her. Of course, that was silly, but it still felt weird. A day ago she never thought he'd even see her, but here he was, asking her name oh-so-casually. She had to tell the truth.

"Fib," she said.

"Fib? Interesting. I don't think I've ever heard a name like that. Is that a nickname?"

"I suppose it could be considered one."

"Well, I think it's pretty. I hope you like your name."

It was a strange one, but she supposed there was some uniqueness in it. But if he liked it, well, then, that's all that mattered!

"And your name?" she asked politely.

"I almost thought you knew. Seems like witches always know everything about the town they take nest in. At least, from what I've heard."

"I do know!" Fib crossed her arms. "Yes, I do. I just figure it's polite to ask in turn."

"Of course. Declan is my name."

Fib briefly wondered what his last name was. Humans had that ritual whereby the females would adopt the last name of their partner. Would the same apply to a doll of all things? What would Fib's last name be? Surely whatever Eloise's was. What was... Fib shook her head. Now was not the time to think about that!

"Sorry if I've been too casual with you," he said. "It's somewhat hard not to be, with how cute your doll is. Please don't take my behavior as uncaring, I really do appreciate what you're doing for me."

As if his words weren't honeyed enough. Fib kept her body in check, lest she fall apart.

"That's quite alright. Save your thanks once the task is complete, however. Victory will be all the sweeter," she said.

Victory? Sweeter? What kinda dumb person would say that?! Eloise's mode of speech was way too easy to get into. Only fitting as her creation. Fib decided to seal her mouth until needed. She silently stared her way through the market shopping, with the clerks and customers giving their obvious confused stares at Declan for carrying her around. It both saddened Fib that Declan had to ridicule himself in public, but also delighted her in how nonplussed he was. She stored all of the ingredients in her bag, making sure they were stored in a separate pocket from her other pet project.

"Now comes the foraging, dear Declan." Heh, that sounded so good to say as a witch. "I'm sure you're up to the task."

"Anything at all," he said.

A real trooper!

"First of the foraging, lion's mane," she said.

"Pardon?" he said.

"Lion's mane," she said louder.

"I heard you, I just don't see how I'm supposed to get such a thing."

Fib's eyes widened. Huh? Wasn't that a normal thing around here? Oh, wait, a lion was an animal. One Fib never really had to think about.