Spirits in the Material World Pt. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Rose emerged from the powder room and went to the kitchen to see if she could be of any help to Alan, seeing as their youngest children were not going to be. Alan was seated at the kitchen table, eyes on David and Maggie.

"So, Alan, what is on the menu for today?" she asked.

"Turkey's in the oven; needs another 45 to 60 minutes. Mashed potatoes are done and will need to be re-heated most likely. Pot of green beans, pot of corn on the stove ready to be heated. What did you bring?"

"Sweet Potato Casserole, or what's left after Tuesday, which is still most of the pan."

"Excellent! I have been wanting some but the boys won't eat it so I did not want to make something that would go to waste. I think we can add that to the oven around a quarter 'til. It's quiet in here. Why not pull up a chair and we can talk?" Alan suggested.

"That's a great idea, Alan. Let us get to know each other a bit better. I suspect our families are likely to be closely aligned in the future," replied Rose.

= = =

The silence should have been awkward. But it wasn't. It was WONDERFUL! For both David and Maggie, it seemed to be a cosmic alignment. They just sat at the dining table, alone, side by side, hands barely touching as fingertips waved and gently stroked the other's. Finally, Maggie could not take any more.

"David, what do you think is going on?" she asked.

"Ignorance and apathy," he replied.

"Huh?"

"What's the difference between ignorance and apathy, Maggie?"

"Ah. I don't know and I don't care. Good one! Would you please show me a photo of your mom so I can compare my memory of what you painted?" she requested.

David stood and gently tugged Maggie to her feet. He stared at her legs and her feet. "Maggie, I love those boots! Not that they would fit my feet, but they look fantastic on you." That comment went straight to her heart as if he wasn't already making a home for himself there. David led her to the wedding photo of Alan and Laura behind Alan's chair.

"Oh. My. God. That's spooky! That could be Jules! How old is that photo?"

"Let me think. Dad's 47 now and he was 23 then, so 24 years more or less. Mom was 22 then, fresh out of college. Dad was a bit impatient, but those were different times back in the '90s."

Maggie got really close and stared, trying to take in all the details of the photo.

"Now, can you show me the one you did of her that freaked Jules out?" Maggie asked.

"Sure! It's back in the living room where we first were. Come with me." The two declined to let go of each other's hand, causing David to slow a little and Maggie to speed up a little. A nice compromise. David led her to the hallway and when passing the powder room, Maggie tugged him to stop. "I need to stop in here for a minute, please."

"Of course. I'll be right here waiting. Don't want you to get lost yet," he said with a broad smile.

Maggie addressed her issues and took a minute to regard herself in the mirror. She took a deep breath and was asking herself what was going on. She had seen the Sunday photo of the three and David was decent looking but, in person, his presence took her breath away. Not getting any cosmic bolts of enlightenment, she nodded to her reflection and opened the door to step out. And David was not there.

= = =

Having seen David and Maggie walking toward the front of the house, Rose heard Maggie's request to use the powder room, so she called to David once the door had closed. He returned the few steps to the kitchen entryway and stepped in to face Rose and Alan.

"So, David, what do you think of my daughter?" Rose inquired with an arched eyebrow.

"Rose, I was enchanted by the photos of Maggie that Julie had shared, but I'm blown away meeting her in person. She's beautiful and quick. I want to get to know her, so I apologize if I seem to monopolize her limited time here today. Please understand that I mean her absolutely no harm."

Rose smiled a knowing smile and said, "From what I've been told of Eagle Scouts, I have little worry about harm coming to her here. Your reactions to each other have been very entertaining to the four of us. But we will have to have some group discussion and sharing later."

"Yes, ma'am. Oh, I think I hear her coming out now."

"Just a second, son. You represent the household in this. Do not embarrass us," Alan remarked sternly.

"Yes, Dad." David dropped his gaze in acknowledgment of the message being received.

"Go and be my good son."

"Yes, Dad. Rose, it is my pleasure to meet you both. If you would excuse me, please?"

Not waiting for permission, David stepped back into Maggie's sight and hurried to her side.

Showing a bit of pique, Maggie snapped at David. "Where did you go? You said you'd be right here waiting, and you weren't!"

Reaching for her hand, David said softly, "Your mom and my dad wanted to talk to me for a minute. I'm really sorry I wasn't right here when you came out. I may have been a little rude to them in breaking off the conversation, but I had told you one thing and then I couldn't fulfill it. I'm sorry, Maggie. Please don't be angry with me."

Leaning her head away yet looking out of the corner of her eye at him, she tried to look stern, but could not hold the grin away from her face for very long. "Ok, you are forgiven, conditionally, this time. Don't push it though." Then she raised up on her toes and gave him a very soft kiss on his cheek, making him flush instantly. "Come on, show me your picture of your mom."

David felt as though he was walking on air about six inches above the floor. Could this day get any better? He doubted so.

Placing his hand on her hip to guide her, David just then noticed that she had five dyed sets of strands in her hair, not the three from the picture. He started to think about how to augment his pictures of her to incorporate the two new colors.

They turned the corner at the bottom of the stairs to enter the living room where Laura's picture rested on the mantle above the fireplace. In doing so, they surprised Tom and Julie who were holding hands and resting heads against each other.

"We're just here to let Maggie see the picture of Mom," David explained. "You may return to your affairs." Maggie snorted at that, which tickled David's sense of humor. David reached up to pull the picture down, but Maggie stopped him.

"No. Leave it up there. There's plenty of light coming through the windows to see it properly."

Maggie stepped forward and gave it a fairly close scrutiny, much like she did with the photo in the dining room. "What did you use to do this, David?" she inquired.

"I drew it out in pencil first, then applied watercolor paints, and then applied charcoal over the pencil lines. Do you do any artwork?"

"Nah. That's too right brain for me. But you've got some real talent there. It doesn't take an expert to realize that."

David flushed again at the compliment. "Thank you," he mumbled.

Maggie turned to face Julie, who was stroking Tom's face and looked about to dive in, lips first.

"Jules, weren't you tormenting me yesterday about a surprise David had for me? Or was that Tuesday? I've slept since then. While you're at it, get a room."

Julie jerked her hand back and sat back against the sofa. "We HAD a room but have sacrificed it for you and Mom. Technically, this is our room for tonight," she snapped back.

Doing her best to imitate Steve Martin, Maggie retorted, "Well, excuuuuuuuuuse meeeeee!" She then grabbed David's hand and led him back to the dining room. On the return journey, David did tell Maggie, "Yes, I do have a surprise for you, but it probably should wait until after we eat. Let's just sit back in our seats and await instruction and talk some."

Resuming their previous seats, and still holding hands, David and Maggie began to share.

"My mom died from pancreatic cancer almost 17 months ago, and from diagnosis to end it was far too short. It's called the 'silent killer' for good reason. That has really bummed me out. I'm a freshman at the state Art institute, but despite what I've done, I don't really see that as a viable path for financial independence. Like Tom, I'm an Eagle Scout and will remain one until the day I die. I just turned 19 on May 4th, so I'm a "May the Fourth Be With You" baby." Maggie smiled broadly at his Star Wars reference.

"Obviously, I like my art, and I've got a small group of guys who I play D&D with when we're home. I like music, mostly classic rock from the '70s and '80s. That's my dad's influence. I like sci-fi and fantasy movies and books. There's usually a lot going on inside my head that never makes it past the filter to become said," David explained.

"My dad left us, abandoned us, soon after I was born. Said he just couldn't handle being a father. I think Mom's in touch with him occasionally. I turned 18 on the 24th of September, so I'm a senior at Centreville High School. I'm bored out of my mind this year, can't wait until next year. I'd like to go to RPI in Troy, NY or to Georgia Tech in Atlanta, but I think the out-of-state tuition would be prohibitive."

"What's RPI?" David asked.

"Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. Big engineering school in upstate New York," she explained. "I've got assurances of a full ride at State due to my ACT scores. I'm leaning towards Computer Engineering or Chem Engineering as a major, but I don't have to declare right away. I've never been asked to play D&D although I know a few boys at school who play. I like the indie rock scene, especially the girl-bands. I've said I'm really left-brained, so I don't have great imagination skills, but I try to not stay limited by 'the box.' I don't have enough of a filter between my brain and my mouth, and you've already seen a touch of temper. I hope that did not put you off," Maggie admitted.

"So, the red hair doesn't lie?" David asked, a smile crossing his face.

"No, it does not. But Julie warned you about that, didn't she?"

"I think I recall her saying something like that."

The discussions went on, quietly, in view of the parents, who were having their own discussions.

"So, Alan, what do you do, work-wise? Tom or Julie may have told me, but I'd like to hear it from you," Rose inquired.

"I'm a software development project manager. That means I herd the menagerie of cats who actually do the software development and I do my best to keep them on track while planning ahead for obvious roadblocks or pitfalls. The job gets all of the blame if things go wrong, and none of the credit when things go right. It's the ultimate in behind-the-scenes management and direction. And you, Rose? What occupies your daylight hours?"

"I was the head teller at a branch of a big bank in Centreville, but about six months ago I was promoted to being an assistant manager. Since then, the other assistant managers either left or transferred out, so of the three of us assistants, I'm the 'senior' one. It's a good job; I don't have to start too early and I don't usually have to work on weekends. This weekend is different because of the holiday today. I'm off tomorrow, but I have to be the manager-in-charge on Saturday."

"Well, you've definitely got the whole 'you-don't-want-to-mess-with-me' aura going on." Alan did a quick down and up, and really liked what he saw, not that he showed it, much. "That blue dress looks very nice on you, Rose. And I love the gold and sapphire necklace and earrings set."

Rose did her own down and up, smiled, and replied, "You look very dashing in that suit as well, Alan. You clean up pretty well for a single guy."

Looking at the clock, Alan noted it was time to add the sweet potato casserole to the oven to heat, which he did. Rose took it upon herself to get the corn and beans warming, and they managed not to get in each other's way, almost as if they were dancing, almost as if they had been doing this together for years. Alan then got the mashed potatoes into the microwave to reheat a bit, and at 1 pm Alan removed the turkey from the oven to cool slightly. Rose prepared the stuffing per the directions on the box, and by 1:15 the feast was ready.

"David, Tom! Can you please give us a hand here in the kitchen?" Alan called.

David and Tom soon appeared in the doorway, clapping.

"What? You asked us to give you a hand. Would you have preferred a round of applause?" And the boys both began clapping, moving their hands while clapping in a big circle in front of them.

"Thousands of comedians out of work and I have to deal with you two. That's an old Cub Scout joke, and you know it." Alan retorted.

"The best comedy is not necessarily the newest, Dad," Tom smirked. "Come on, David." And the boys shuttled bowls and platters and dishes to the sideboard buffet. "Hey, Dad, what are we having to drink?" Tom asked.

"We have some sparkling apple cider out in the garage. Would you please bring it in?"

After a quick line to wash hands, the six gathered around the table: Alan in his customary spot, his back to the picture of his and Laura's wedding, Tom to his right, David to his left, Julie to Tom's right, Maggie to David's left, and the end spot was reserved for Rose. Remaining standing, as they would have to serve their plates from the buffet, Alan reached for David's and Tom's hands. Julie's hand was immediately in Tom's and David had not let go of Maggie's. Only Rose was a little surprised when Julie and Maggie reached for her hands. Bowing their heads, Alan asked for God's blessing on the food, this group, the national leaders, and the nation as a whole. He quickly added his gratitude for his sons being home for this holiday. He gently squeezed Tom's hand, who instantly chimed in with his gratitude for family and for health. He then gently squeezed Julie's hand, and she was a little flustered. Tom instructed her to state one thing for which she was thankful, and she instantly chimed in with being grateful for Tom's presence in her life. She squeezed Rose's hand, who responded with thanks for the very pleasant company for this meal, and she squeezed Maggie's hand. Maggie declared her thanks for new, comfortable friends, and she squeezed David's hand. David expressed his thanks for family and new friends who make our lives so meaningful. Amen.

"The food you see before you is ready for you to enjoy. Bon appetit!" declared Alan, and he gestured for Rose to start filling her plate. Soon all six had full plates and the sounds of enjoyment filled the room, along with smacking lips. Tom and David did not take any of the sweet potato casserole, which left more for the other four. Tom and David each grabbed a drumstick, as the ladies seemed to prefer the white meat. Boys will be boys, thought Alan. It was a fairly simple meal, but a most satisfying one for all. A number of things were shared with the group which had been shared in part, but this way everyone was on the same page of music.

Maggie had pretty much decided to accept the full ride to State next fall; Tom was pleased with his three pending job offers for after graduation in May; Julie wondered aloud about her student teaching possibilities next fall; and David was concerned about his lack of a vehicle. Tom and Maggie both went back for seconds on the beans and corn, and David went for seconds on the stuffing.

With everyone's appetites sated for the moment, Alan informed the gathering of the pies and ice cream for dessert, and he received groans in reply from almost everyone. "Ok, we'll hold off on dessert for later, I suppose. Shall we reconvene in the living room in 15 minutes?" he asked.

David hurried to Julie and whispered something in her ear, to which she nodded. "Tom, would you please escort Maggie to the living room?" asked Julie. Not waiting for his response, she headed to the door to the garage and David made his way to the stairs to the basement.

Maggie and Tom were a little puzzled by this, but he extended his right elbow to her, and she looped her left arm through it. In walking down the hall, she brushed up against his right hip and something poked her, surprising her.

"Ow! What's in your pocket, Tom?"

"Oh, it's just a little something for your sister."

"Ohhhh, something in her size? It doesn't seem too little." Maggie waggled her eyebrows and her tone was incredibly suggestive.

Tom gave as good as he received. "No, that's in the other pocket," and Maggie's face flamed.

"Oh, so you dress left, I take it. Most guys do, you know." Now Tom's face flamed and they made the turn at the bottom of the stairway, into the living room.

"You are a very dangerous girl, Maggie," he whispered as he guided her to David's usual place on the sofa, which was right next to where Alan had guided Rose. Maggie gave Tom a wicked grin and nodded her head in agreement. Tom remained standing near the fireplace.

Julie entered carrying her charcoal portrait but not showing it to anyone. She set it on the hearth, back to the audience, then took her now customary seat on the sofa, leaving a little room between her and Maggie for David. David soon appeared, carrying two similar items and a daypack slung over his left shoulder. He set down the artwork, reverse side out, then moved to the space between Maggie and Julie, unslinging the daypack to rest between his feet. Everybody knew something was up, but nobody had the entire picture, yet.

Tom led off.

"Julie, you are so incredibly special to me. You make me want to be a better person; you push me to be a better person. I don't know all the ways you complete me, but you do." Tom paused for a moment, then continued, "It's still WAY too early for me to do a foolish thing," and Julie gasped, as did Rose and Maggie, "but it's not too early for this." He reached into his right pocket, waggling his eyebrows at Maggie, and gestured for Julie to stand and join him. Gesturing for her to face the family, he opened the box with the necklace and the earrings and removed the necklace. Reaching around her, he held up the pearls for all to view, then he laid the pearls on her neck and fastened the necklace at her spine. He then replaced her studs with the matching pearl earrings, and declared, "Done!" Squealing with joy, Julie spun and grabbed Tom by his neck and pulled him into a toe-curling kiss.

"Tom, how much did this cost?" demanded Julie.

"Only Dad and I know, and I'm never telling. It was money left to me by my Grandpa and Grandma Harrison, and it did not break the bank." Tom then guided Julie to her seat and sat next to her, her arms octopus-tight around his left arm.

Standing up with daypack in hand and stepping to the center of the room, David said, "I guess it's my turn now. Ah, but first, I need to make some customizations. Please bear with me and talk amongst yourselves for a couple of minutes." He reached into his daypack and extracted blue and yellow pastels and he quickly made some marks on one of the two portraits he brought in. A little smudging with his thumb and he declared all was in readiness.

"For Rose," and her hand went to her chest in the customary 'for me?' gesture, "I have a portrait of Julie" and he turned around and held the one Julie had retrieved from the garage. Ooohs and aaahs resounded in the room, greatly pleasing David. "And I also have a portrait of Maggie," and he turned around the one he had just augmented to reflect all five colors of her dyed strands. Even more ooohs and aaahs escaped, and Rose began to clap, followed quickly by Alan. "They need to be finalized with a fixative so they don't smudge, but I'll handle that in the garage this afternoon and you can take them with you tomorrow." He set them facing forward on the hearth so they could continue to be viewed.

"Now, for Maggie," and she squealed, "Have you ever heard of the Japanese goddess Inari Okami?" Alan smiled broadly, as he'd recently read where an author had included some bits of Inari in his book. The rest gently shook their heads, negatively. "Well, Inari is the kami or spirit of fertility, prosperity, and success. She has messengers called kitsune which are represented as foxes with multiple tails; the more tails the more power the kitsune has. When Julie showed me the photo of you from August where the three dyed strands were visible, I knew I had to do this." David turned around the caricature of Maggie as a fox with three tails, one red, one green, and one purple. "I want you to have this to remind yourself that you are a total fox!"