Spirits in the Material World Pt. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Maggie and Rose laughed and squealed with joy. Maggie jumped to her feet, wrapped her arms around David's neck, and totally laid a huge, loud kiss on his cheek, causing him to blush with pleasure. She also managed to rub her breasts against his arm, which resulted in blood rushing to another part of his anatomy. "It also needs to be finalized, but you may take it with you tomorrow."

When everybody had calmed down, Alan asked, "Is that all of the surprises and gifts?"

"Wasn't that enough?" asked Tom

"Indeed, it was a gracious plenty," allowed Rose.

"So, now," began Alan, "may we retire to our rooms and remove our special dress clothes and just be comfortable for the rest of the day, if that is acceptable? Tom, you may change in my room or in David's; Julie will be comfortable in showing Maggie and Rose to their room where the ladies may change. Just come back down whenever you are ready to rejoin."

Tom dashed up the stairs to get his comfy clothes from his room and took them into Alan's room and laid them on the bed. He quickly changed into a t-shirt, jeans, athletic socks, and shoes, and when the coast was clear, he descended to the dining room. He passed Alan on his way down the stairs, and Alan said they would talk a bit later.

David allowed the other five to ascend the stairs before he made his way to his room to change into jeans, a football jersey top, and casual boat shoes without socks. He grabbed two decks of cards, just in case, before he headed to the dining room. He dropped off the decks of cards then returned to the living room. Noticing a dilemma, he called for Tom to come help. Together they took the three charcoal art pieces to the garage and arrayed them so the fixative could be applied to all three. Tom then returned to the dining room. And waited.

Julie led her mother and sister up the stairs, around the banister, pointing out the bathroom on the way, to the front bedroom she and Tom had shared. Once all three were in the room, she shut the door, and the waterworks began, for all three.

"Oh, my gosh," Maggie exclaimed, gently handling the pearl necklace, "that is just gorgeous!"

"Yes, indeed, baby girl, those are real pearls there. He spent some money on you!" declared Rose. "And the matching earrings, too! If you had ANY doubts about him, you should not anymore. That boy is in love with you."

"Oh, mama! (and Julie very rarely called Rose 'mama'.) This whole week has just been so magical. Whatever have I done to deserve this happiness?"

"It's not what you have or have not done, sweetest. It's accepting the happiness and joy for what you have that is key." Rose philosophized.

The three paused for a moment. Then Maggie started in, eyes filling with tears.

"I'm overwhelmed with all of this, Mom. Why did David have to be so good and nice?"

"I think that's purely a function of who he is which results a lot from the environment Alan and Laura set up. Tom is much the same way, don't you think? Why is David being nice such a problem for you, sweet pea?"

"Because I won't see him again! He's down here or at his college and I'm stuck in moron hell!" Maggie practically shouted. Then she broke down into tears again.

"Oh, baby, baby. My baby's in puppy love," Rose said, hugging her, stroking Maggie's hair, trying to soothe her.

"He thinks I'm a fox. Nobody has ever said anything like that about me. And his art! My panties are soaked. Thank you, Julie, for recommending the stockings rather than pantyhose. It does make things easier."

Rose smiled, smugly. "I think these Harrison men could be bottled and labeled as 'instant panty remover.' Honey, I felt something when I first met Alan. And very little is forever. I'll let you both in on a little secret, but you must promise to keep it to yourselves and tell absolutely nobody!"

"What is it, Mom?" Julie asked

"Yeah, what, Mom?" Maggie piled on.

"Nuh-uh. You both must promise because this is merely a possibility."

"Ok, Mom, I promise to keep this secret a secret," Julie promised.

"I promise, too, Mom," Maggie added.

"Ok. It is not posted yet, but the branch manager position here in Middleburg is opening up as of January 4th. I might be able to transfer down here. But it would seriously mess up Maggie's senior year at ..."

"Moron Hell!" Maggie interjected. "School doesn't resume until the 6th, and these schools are of better quality than Centreville's. Besides, if I accept at State, it should not matter at all what my Spring semester grades are; I would already be accepted. You should go for it, Mom!"

"I've got to agree with Mags on this one, Mom. Besides, sometimes a new place can give you a whole new perspective on things."

"You both make good arguments. I will take it under advisement. I'll let you know what I'm doing. Now, let's get changed into less formal clothes, although I do like what I've seen in Alan's eyes when he's looking at me. Hmmm. How about a little collusion?"

"How so, Mom?" asked Julie.

"Maybe after supper, we could get the guys to dance with us. You know, turn on Spotify on an oldies playlist. It could be a good test."

"Mother! What is it with you and testing these guys? Can't you just accept them at face value?" Julie demanded.

"No, sis, I think Mom's got a point here. I'd love to see how David handles slow dancing," Maggie observed.

And with that, the Lawsons changed into much more casual clothes. Curiously, all three had chosen to wear t-shirts and yoga pants. Maggie and Julie opted for ankle socks and athletic shoes whereas Rose chose some comfy ballet shoes. They emerged from the room only to have Rose claim the upstairs restroom and the other two raced for the downstairs powder room, a race which Maggie won. Seeking her own consolation prize, Julie headed for the kitchen only to see Tom sitting at the dining table. She made a beeline to him, plunking down on his lap and enveloping him in a total body embrace. She was still wearing her necklace and earrings.

"Those pearls sure look great on you, Jules. But maybe I'm a little biased. What do you think?"

"I think you paid a chunk of money for these, Mr. Harrison. Come on, tell me what the bill came to, please?" Julie pleaded.

"Nope. You will say it was too much. I say it was probably not enough. Let it rest, Jules, please?"

"Come on, just whisper it in my ear. Please? With sugar and a cherry on top?"

"Why is it so important to know how much I was willing to pay to make you happy? I said, 'No' and I meant it. I won't discuss this anymore, Julia Anne Lawson."

When Tom used all three names, Julie knew she was at the end of the argument. Under normal circumstances, Tom was very flexible and amenable. But she just ran into some adamantium in his being, and she knew the pleading would not yield positive results.

"Ok, Thomas Richard Harrison, I won't ask again. I will treasure them as the gift they are."

Maggie emerged from the powder room and informed Julie it was available. Julie hurried past Maggie, and Maggie plunked herself down in Tom's lap so recently vacated by her sister.

"So, you think I'm a dangerous girl, eh, Tom?"

"I think that David's getting into really deep water, way, WAY over his head, with you. Fortunately, when you swim, you swim on the top and it doesn't matter how deep the water is. And he completed the Mile Swim five years at Boy Scout Summer Camp, so I'm not too worried about him. It's you I'm a little worried about."

"How so?" she asked.

"As was mentioned in Centreville, his Kryptonite is your hair color. He has been out of his mind about you since Saturday when he first saw your pictures. But you, your jaw practically dragged on the carpet today once you met him." Rose, coming down the hall, heard Tom's words and paused, out of view, to eavesdrop a little.

"I don't know how many boyfriends you've had or how much experience you have with interpersonal relationships. But I can see the signs of potential heartbreak here, and I would never want you to go through that. Now, I know David as well as anybody, maybe even better than Dad does. David, given half a chance and the hint of a promise of a boyfriend/girlfriend relationship with you, would place his whole future in jeopardy, and he could drag you with him, cheering him all the way.

"Now I love how you two have clicked so well. Seems very similar to Julie and me in many ways. But we don't have physical distance as a factor in our relationship, and you and David do. So, please, be cautious of your own heart and of his. He's out in the garage right now, applying the fixative to the artwork if you care."

Rose could have kissed Tom for this. Hearing this from her mother would not have had the impact as hearing it from Tom. Even from Julie, this message probably would not have been heeded. But from Tom, the likelihood was much greater for Maggie taking it to heart. Rose caught Julie coming out of the powder room and took her down the hall back to the front door to explain what Tom had just told Maggie.

Alan had changed into jeans, a 'my money and my son go to State' sweatshirt, and boat shoes without socks saw them at the base of the stairs and descended slowly.

"And what are you two vixens plotting now?" Alan inquired.

Julie sniggered at 'vixens'. "That's good, Alan. Vixens. Given that your son declared my sister to be a fox."

Alan continued descending until he was beside them.

"Well, Julie, given your visual similarity to my choice in spouses, I would feel quite comfortable in stating your vixen-like qualities are most evident. And given Maggie's similarity to your mother, Rose, too, could be said as having strong vixen-like qualities." That statement went right to both ladies' cores, causing tingles in very sensitive areas. With that, all three headed towards the dining room. Maggie entered from the garage door stating that David thought he'd be done in about 15 minutes, but if they wanted to start a game of B.S., he would join in when he was able.

Rose had never heard of the game, also known as Cheat, Bluff, or I Doubt It, but agreed to sit in until David showed, then she would watch. With five players, both decks of cards were used, and soon Alan's mastery of bluffing with a straight face put him in the lead. That is until David came in and took over for Rose. Then his B.S. mastery was demonstrated to all. David cleaned up. Even Alan was surprised at David's ability to read the others and bluff them so badly. But it was a very fun time for everyone, and the afternoon passed quickly.

It had gotten dark outside when certain people's stomachs began to rumble with emptiness. Rose took charge and gathered her daughters to come to the kitchen to see about warming up the remaining food from earlier, and they 'banished' the guys to the living room until they were summoned again. Rose was very impressed with the organization of the kitchen, and the placement of everything seemed quite intuitive. This had to be due to Laura's influence. While she and Julie were stepping around each other in the meal preparation steps, Maggie was requested to search Spotify for a playlist of some danceable songs between 1940 and 1990. After about 15 minutes, she found the 'Crooner's' playlist on Spotify, and Rose 'blessed' it.

While enduring their 'banishment', the Harrisons had some quiet discussion.

"Tom, David, your behavior and treatment of our guests has been excellent. Thank you. Not that I expected anything less, but I'm very pleased."

"Thanks, Dad," David responded, "but the Lawsons make it very easy for us."

"Yeah, well I told you, Dad, that you'd fall in love with Julie. Did I miss the mark?" Tom asked.

"You know you hit the bullseye with her, Tom. Just be sure to give her room in the relationship. Be ready to catch and hold her if she stumbles but give her room to explore who she is as well. You complement each other well, I think, and that bodes very well for the long term for you both.

"Now, David. We need to talk a little seriously about your infatuation with Maggie. I know all about your thing with her hair color, and she seems pretty sharp..."

Tom interjected, "Dad, I found out that she's got a full-ride offer from State because of her ACT scores. She got a 33 composite, which is more than 'pretty sharp.'"

"As I was saying, she's also as young as you are, David, and probably not so worldly as you have become. Go slowly and softly. From the artwork you have done for her, I'd say you don't see this as a once-off thing. That speaks well of you. But there's going to be a distance issue and experience shows that distance can easily cause a relationship to run aground on sharp rocks very easily."

"I hear what you are saying, Dad, and I truly appreciate your concern and advice. I wanted to bring up an idea which had been percolating in me since I came home on Friday, and it's purely coincidental, honest. I want to transfer to State for the Spring semester. The art is not going to be a financially viable choice, I know this. But Mom wanted me to explore this side of me, and it has been good, but it won't work in the long term. I need a broader education, and I'm not really good at the technical side of things. My favorite science is Thomas Dolby's 'She Blinded Me With Science'," which drew a guffaw from both Alan and Tom.

"So, Dad, what do you think about Rose?" Tom asked. "Didn't she look great in that business suit with those heels? Yeah, Dad, we both know about your thing about heels and hose."

Alan's face paled, then blushed. Tom continued.

"She's looking for her Mr. Right as well. You would not believe the grilling I got from her as she had to be sure I would be good enough for Julie! There's strength and power in that woman, Dad. Just consider the convenience factor. Julie with me, maybe Maggie with David, and even maybe Rose with you. Almost a 'Brady Bunch' solution, no?"

"What do you know about the 'Brady Bunch', Tom?" Alan asked, a little piqued.

"There is a lot of reference to the Brady Bunch in popular culture, Dad. Yeah, they built a family for the kids, and we're all beyond needing a replacement Mom or a Dad. But wouldn't it be totally cool for us all to mesh, like fingers interweaving?"

"Yes, Tom, I could see how it could have some appeal. But the distances involved ..."

"Don't you say 'nothing is forever', Dad?" David inquired. "Isn't it a fact that 'change is inevitable, except from a vending machine'?"

Alan opted for silence. All three turned their gazes to the picture of Laura, each deep in his own thoughts.

Eventually, the food was ready for consumption and had been placed on the buffet again. The men were summoned from their banishment to join at the dining table. This time, hands were held with no prompting, and Rose began speaking.

"Dear God, we thank you. We thank you for the blessings of food, of shelter, of clothing, of family and of friends. Please bless this food for our use. We ask all of this in the name of your Son." Julie and Maggie were stunned. They had never, ever heard these kinds of words from their mother. After a few moments of silence, Alan finished with, "And all of God's people said, 'Amen'," with David, Tom, and Rose joining on the 'Amen', again surprising Julie and Maggie.

"What?" demanded Rose.

"You've never prayed before a meal, not that we've heard, Mom," Julie stated.

"Doesn't mean I don't know how. I'm just following the example of our gracious hosts. Now, let us enjoy this food once again." And they all did. This time, they saved room for pie with ice cream.

= = =

It was now about 7:00 pm, and Rose had a question for the Harrisons.

"Can we move the sofa and recliner and coffee table out of the way to give us space in the living room?"

Alan answered, "Yes, I believe that can be accommodated. Why, may I ask?"

"Because, handsome man, I would like to dance with you, and I know Julie would like to dance with Tom. Can't speak for Maggie, though."

"Oh, yes, Mom, I'd love to dance with David!"

"Very well, gentlemen, if you would configure the space, we have a couple of things to attend to and we will meet you at the doorway to the living room. Now, scoot!"

Alan, Tom, and David each stopped at the powder room to empty bladders while Rose, Julie, and Maggie headed upstairs to the front bedroom. Rose closed the door to give them a moment of privacy.

"Girls, this is going to ratchet up the emotions. I'm most concerned about Maggie, but I trust Tom as well as David and Alan. Margaret, touching over clothing is fine but nothing more, do you understand me? No fingers on skin covered by bathing suits."

"Yes, Mom," Maggie answered, a little sullenly. "But we can still kiss and press and tease, right?"

"Yes, dear. But remember, we will all be in the same room; no disappearing without notification. David may be well-raised and an Eagle Scout, but he's still a hormone-driven human male. For that matter, so is Tom, but we know what's happened there, don't we. Now, for the teasing part," Rose stated with an almost evil grin and a happy glint in her eye. She got out her favorite perfume bottle from her purse and put a dab behind everyone's ears.

"Are we ready, ladies?" asked Julie. Getting nods, they trooped down the hall to use the bathroom then reconvened at the top of the stairs. Together they descended and stood at the doorway to the living room

Alan and sons had done a masterful job of reconfiguring the living room, and the light in the corner was on low and there were candles on the mantle and the hearth as well as the coffee table which was pushed near the entryway. Alan had had the presence of mind to retrieve a Corelle bowl from the kitchen to serve as an amplifier for whoever's phone was going to be playing the music.

Seeing the ladies lined up, Alan stepped forward and extended his hand to Rose, asking her please to dance with him. Tom repeated the request for Julie, and David made a sincere request of Maggie, once she got her phone playing the playlist from Spotify. Rose and Alan and David and Maggie left room between themselves, but Julie conformed to Tom's body instantly. It did not take but a couple of songs for the space between the partners to disappear. As intended, the guys were smacked upside their heads by the perfume, and the ladies soon had their arms wrapped around their partner's necks.

Tom and Julie were quickly in a lip lock, tongues gently teasing, whispering in each other's ears, spinning each other higher and higher with desire. Rose waited until the third song before she softly pressed her lips to Alan's and whispered her thanks in his ear. Maggie was a bit tentative with David, but Laura had trained both boys in how to dance with a lady, and he led her gently until she snuggled her head against his shoulder and hugged him closely.

** edits applied here, fyi **

The set list included songs by Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennett, Louis Armstrong, Dean Martin, Nat King Cole, Elvis Presley, and Andy Williams. Nearly all of these songs came out before any of them were born, but they were timeless in their melodies and lyrics. FYI, you can find all these songs on Spotify in the Crooners playlist.

** end of edits **

At 9:00 pm, they collectively decided that enough was enough. Hearts were beating rapidly and nipples were hard, as were erections. But nothing inappropriate occurred, and everyone was quite pleased. Alan and David restored the living room to its original configuration while Tom went to the basement to fetch a queen-size air mattress and two sleeping bags which were intended to be fastened together. Maggie and Rose headed for Tom's bedroom with the big bed, David to his room, Alan to his room, and Julie and Tom were on the air mattress on the living room floor. Everyone prepared for sleep, and by 10:00 all were asleep.