Spirits in the Material World Pt. 09

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Oh, lordy, what you've you decided?" worried Rose. "Nothing too final, I hope."

"Just seeking serenity, courage, and wisdom from God, my love," Alan answered.

"Huh?"

"The Serenity Prayer by Reinhold Niebuhr, which is used in many places in society: God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. I have taught Tom and David to fall back on this when life unexpectedly begins to careen out of any semblance of control, rather like this morning."

"Fair enough," Rose responded. "Although I do not believe any of this morning's drama is your responsibility or fault, David. From everything I saw and heard, you are being surprisingly and wonderfully responsible in your decisions. Maggie should be coming back soon. I caught her before she could get outside."

"She was trying to get outside?" David squeaked. He stood quickly and purposefully strode toward the front door.

"He has it bad for her, doesn't he?" inquired Alan.

"They have it terribly bad for each other, Alan. In just over a week, they have taken up residence in each other's heart. They would have to in order to cause this amount of pain accidentally. And God help us all if ever it was intentional."

"You, too, Rose, occupy a similar place in my heart, in my life," Alan declared. That went straight to her soul and warmed her spirit through and through. "Come, let's eat. You have an interview to ace this morning."

David met Maggie as she was leaving the living room. She rushed to his arms and he enfolded her in his loving embrace. He sniffed deeply of her hair, relishing the fragrance of the shampoo she used, while she buried her face in his chest and scented the Ivory soap and Surf laundry detergent that was so clean and so very David.

"David, I'm so sorry. Your mother loves you. My mother loves you, too. And I love you still more. Please forgive me and be my best friend. Have I screwed us up?"

David pressed his fingertips to her lips, quieting her. "No, Magpie, you have not screwed anything up with us. But you do need to learn some active listening skills. Don't worry, we'll work on them together." He kissed her, deeply, holding her head between his strong hands until she acquiesced to his lead. "Come on, let's have some breakfast. I have an idea for the rest of our morning."

* * * * *

Breakfast had been consumed, finally, and the dirty dishes had been relegated to the dishwasher. Looking up at the kitchen clock, Alan noted the time as 8:30 and asked everyone to remain for a couple of minutes.

"Rose, what timetable are you working on today?" he inquired.

"My interview with Mary Henderson and probably a couple others is set for 10 o'clock at her office. Google Maps estimates a 20-minute journey from here, so I'll need to be rolling by 9:30."

"David, what plans do you have?"

"I thought Maggie and I would go walking this morning, maybe around the neighborhood. I recall we had talked about going to Los Tres Amigos for lunch once Rose's interview was completed."

"That's good. Maggie, are you OK with this?"

"Yes, Alan, that would give us time to just be together and not joined anywhere but at the hands, perhaps."

Her comment drew smiles and chuckles from the adults.

"OK, and I have an errand or two to accomplish before lunch as well. Rose, why don't you go begin your unnecessary beautification exercises, and I'll be along presently."

The four returned upstairs to dress appropriately, and David and Maggie were quickly ready to head out. As they passed Alan's bedroom door, they could hear the shower running and some giggling by Rose. Exchanging glances, David and Maggie descended the stairs, pulled on their jackets, and stepped out into the cool December morning air.

The giggling they heard was Rose's, but it was Alan-induced. When they had returned to the bedroom and closed the door, Rose was all up in Alan's face with hers. Knowing she had a little extra time, Rose had decided it would be a good thing to have a smile on her face for her interview. So she set about having one the best way she knew how: get Alan all riled up and interested in pleasing her.

After a head-spinning kiss, she grabbed Alan by the waist of his sweatpants and led him into his bathroom. He did not need much encouragement, and soon they were naked and wet in the shower and Alan was making sure Rose's sphincter was good and soapy. He lathered it up and then proceeded to tickle it with his fingers while reaching around to soap and tweak her left nipple, all the while he was gently nibbling on her ear and neck. All this produced the giggling which had been heard by the kids.

Alan hurried his pleasing to give Rose enough time to properly clean and dress for her interview. Attired in a navy blue power suit with a cream colored silk blouse, shiny suntan stockings, and three inch heels, Rose was definitely dressed for success. Tasteful gold earrings and a single strand of pearls helped to leave no doubt that she was all woman, and the extra spritz of perfume did not hurt either.

Rose was headed to the front door by 9:30 and, with a loving kiss for luck from Alan, she was soon in her car and rolling to her destination. With it being a Saturday morning, there were no traffic issues and she arrived at the AgCU office with ten minutes to spare.

* * * * *

Tom and Julie had spent the night in their own beds, as usual, and much to their absolute dismay. The dinner and dancing on Friday had been spectacular, and all they wanted to do was spend every moment with the other (not to plagiarize Mr. Croce). They met for breakfast in the student cafeteria and were touching each other the entire time they were seated. Nothing too outrageous, just fingers entwined or legs touching the other. Then Tom had an idea. He pulled out his phone and texted Alan, asking if he could make a one-time use of the emergency credit card. A few minutes later, Alan replied with the caveat that any charges would also be deducted from the funds left by Tom's grandparents. Confirming that plan, Tom thanked Alan and then discussed with Julie.

"What do you say about us getting a hotel room for tonight? I don't think we need to dine and dance again, but we need to get this thing out of our systems before our finals start a week from Monday."

"Oh, Tom, yes! One more night and we can tough things out until after finals are done. I slept so poorly last night."

After returning their breakfast dishes and trays to the drop-off window, holding hands they headed to Julie's room as it was closer than Tom's. Tom wanted to stay in a good national chain in the Marriott or Hilton family of hotels and getting a room for a Saturday night should not prove to be too difficult. They searched on the 'net and found a deal for a king-sized bed in a TownePlace Suites about five miles from campus. Setting up the reservation and pre-payment of the room, they could check in no sooner than 3:00 pm.

"We would be best served to spend the rest of the morning in our studies, Tom. At least, that's what I'm planning on doing. We can meet for lunch if you like."

"Oh, I like," Tom answered. "And yes, if we're taking this evening off and probably tomorrow morning as well, then we should spend some time today reviewing stuff. I'll bring a bag with me to lunch so I won't have to return to my room after lunch."

"That sounds like a good plan, Tom. Now, give me a kiss and let's do the responsible thing, at least for the morning." They embraced for about five minutes, then parted ways for the remainder of the morning.

* * * * *

Alan thought to measure David's room to be certain that a king-size bed could fit. He went to the garage for a tape measure and when he returned inside, his phone was indicating a text message had arrived. It was from Tom who wanted to spend a little money on a room for the night with Julie. Shaking his head, Alan remembered how it was with him and Laura at that time. Roommates often would not co-operate and the beds were always too narrow. Alan agreed with the understanding that the funds would come out of Tom's money from grandparents. Knowing that Tom was spending his own money should make Tom much more budget conscious. Alan then got the measurements of David's room and noted them on a sticky note. It looked like the door's swing would be impacted by a king-size bed, so he may have to "suffer" with a queen-size upgrade to the full-size one currently in place.

David and Maggie were not around, so Alan left a note on the refrigerator about his running an errand for a while and that he would meet them back here so they could all go together to lunch. Then Alan got in his car and went bed shopping. He ended up at a Verlo store where they make the mattresses in the back and chose a medium-firm pillowtop king-size and queen-size bed and boxsprings with frame. It would take the week to get his purchases fabricated and they would be delivered next Saturday morning. As a courtesy, the current mattresses and boxsprings would be removed for no charge. Looking at his phone, Alan noticed it was now 11:30 and he had to get home to meet the kids.

* * * * *

David and Maggie dressed in jeans, sweatshirts, and athletic shoes and pulled on light coats for their sojourn. They walked along the sidewalks in David's neighborhood, hand in hand, just talking. After that morning's upset, they needed to find an equilibrium to their relationship. Both agreed it would not hurt to try to take it back to square one. Unlike most relationships, however, both had a fairly clear picture of the desired end-state for them, and they agreed on it as well.

Maggie talked some about being the "curve-wrecker" in her classes and how she had felt about being shunned by most of her peers. She admitted to dumbing down a little just to get some girlfriends to hang with in school, but they did not include her much in non-school activities. She never felt chided about not measuring up to Julie; in fact, she though that Julie had occasionally been held up as not meeting Maggie's achievements. Julie had tried to fill in as a second mother sometimes once Rose had to return to work. Maggie could not recall what her father looked like, apart from the very few photos which Rose had kept.

For his part, David shared about growing up in Tom's shadow. How David had to push himself to do what Tom had done and do so earlier. David resented the comparisons which inevitably came from his older brother doing as well as he did. Laura would be sure to make time just for her and David, and that's really what he missed the most about her being taken from his life. All this was why David had explored the right brain activities such as his art, just to distinguish himself. David had been quite surprised at Tom's reaction to David's painting of Laura when it was revealed. But David was incredibly pleased with Maggie's reactions to his portraits of her and Julie.

While walking around, they came across a playground which the city had put in the neighborhood after Tom and David had gotten into high school. Giggling like little children, they raced each other to the swings. Sagely, David allowed Maggie to win, and he gallantly chose to push her to get her started swinging before getting into one himself. Soon he was gliding back and forth in parallel to Maggie, and the smiles on their faces were quite telling. Impulsively, David launched himself from his swing and landed a little awkwardly, slightly straining his left ankle. Maggie instantly dragged her feet to slow her momentum and soon was at his side, her face a mask of worry. Assuring her it was a minor thing, David reached up and brought her head to his and kissed her and told her, "I love you, Magpie." Noticing it was 11:15, they opted to head home. Maggie had to help David to his feet, and she supported his left side until he was able to walk without a limp, albeit slowly. The return journey was made with arms wrapped around the other. They arrived at the Harrison's residence a little after 11:30, and found the note left by Alan. They sat at the kitchen table and waited for Alan to return.

* * * * *

Rose did a last-minute examination in the mirror in her car and chose to touch up the soft pink lipstick which Alan had smudged with his kiss for luck. She also added a dab of perfume to each wrist. At 9:55 she entered the credit union's offices and was greeted by a short, stout woman with gray hair pulled back into a neat bun. She was dressed in a nice cashmere sweater over a white ironed blouse and a black knee-length skirt. Medium heels finished the hose-covered legs. Like Rose, she wore some small earrings and a single strand of pearls.

"Rosalie Lawson?" the lady asked.

"Yes, Rose, please. Mrs. Henderson, I hope?" Rose answered.

"Indeed. And please call me Mary. It's my absolute pleasure finally to meet you, dear. You are quite punctual; that will stand you in good stead with Donald and Michael. Please, come along with me."

Mary Henderson led Rose to the single elevator, and they ascended to the second floor. As they got out of the elevator car, Mary touched Rose on the arm, indicating that she should stop.

"Are you nervous, dear?"

"Yes, a bit. This would be a significant jump for me, career-wise, and regardless of the outcome, I want to put my best foot forward."

"Perfectly understandable. Let's talk here for just a minute. From my perspective, this is purely pro forma. Your resume and references leave me with no doubt, as well as Maeve's opinion of you. But there are two others who must also be convinced. Donald Masters and Michael Johnson are the other two members of this triumvirate who guide this credit union. They should not be too terribly difficult to impress, but they won't just roll over. Now, fluff yourself up. You know as well as I do, sex sells. Oh, and major kudos to you for landing Alan Harrison." Then Mary guided Rose to the corner conference room.

In a corner of the room, four chairs were set up in a circle, and the two men quickly rose to their feet at the ladies' entrance.

"Donald Masters and Michael Johnson, this is Rosalie Lawson, my recommendation for the General Manager position."

Rose extended her right hand, and the first gentleman gently took it, pressed it to his lips and said, "I'm Don Masters, Mrs. Lawson." The other gentleman then accepted her hand and declared himself to be Michael Johnson.

Gesturing to the chairs, Rose was invited to have a seat. She sat, smoothing her skirt under her, then crossed her legs which hiked the hem of the skirt a little higher. Her legs were very nicely presented, and the perfume she had added had smacked into Don Masters' olfactory system.

The four had a very calm and pleasant discussion about Rose's qualifications for the position. She admitted that it was a step up from her current responsibilities but reminded the men that personal growth often required one's reach to extend beyond one's grasp. She evidenced her commitment to her customers' satisfaction, that without the customers the bank or credit union was without worth.

The casual conversation switched back and forth between Don and Michael, and whenever possible, Rose would shift her seat and re-cross her legs to face the man whose questions she was addressing, each time allowing her stocking-clad legs to whisper against each other and she kept the hemline hiked a little above the knee.

They did point out her somewhat recent advancement to bank management but admitted that her references all came back glowing with praise. With the reassurance that all decisions of significance would be passed by the board first, the men nodded their heads in approval and asked Mary to present their offer. Rose scanned the offer and was pleasantly surprised at the entire package. She gave a slight smile as she scanned through the details, and then asked if she could give them her response on Monday. She was very impressed with the details, but she needed to discuss this with her daughters and other persons of interest. That last statement garnered a knowing smile from Mary. She stood and the men stood as well. Once again, she proffered her hand, and this time both men took her hand in both of theirs, looking her squarely in the eye and sincere thanks for everybody's time was shared. Mary then escorted Rose to the elevator and accompanied her to the building's lobby. Stepping off the elevator, Rose gave Mary a large and heartfelt hug and promised to talk with her in the morning at church. That drew a great big smile from Mary who promised to seek Rose out before the service.

Walking out to her car, Rose noticed it was nearly 12:30. Where had those two and a half hours gone? She called Alan and said that things had gone well. She agreed to meet them at their favorite Mexican place, a little hole in the wall in a shopping center about 15 minutes away.

* * * * *

"Ok, folks, let's get saddled up!" Alan called to Maggie and David. The pair was seated in the living room on the sofa, just enjoying each other's presence. "Whose car should we take?"

"Let's take the Jeep, Dad. That way you can ride back with Rose if you wish."

The three piled into the Jeep with Alan sitting comfortably in the back seat while giving Maggie the shotgun seat. They arrived at their chosen lunch purveyor, Los Tres Amigos, just ahead of Rose, and the two cars parked side by side. Maggie was in Rose's arms first, looking at her mother in the eyes, closely. Rose's smile was not limited to her mouth; her eyes shone with the pleasure of her successful interview. Together, they walked to the door which Alan held open. The restaurant did not look like anything remarkable from the outside, but there was a lot of movie memorabilia from "The Three Amigos" on the walls as well as signed posters of the three stars, Steve Martin, Chevy Chase, and Martin Short.

They were shown to a table quickly, and the waiter was quickly at the tableside with water, chips, and freshly made salsa. In slightly accented English, the waiter inquired about their drink choices, but all opted for water only. They made their food selections quickly, and Alan surprised the Lawson ladies with his near fluency in Spanish that went by too quickly for them to follow. The food came quickly, and the quantities were quite generous and the quality far beyond anything Rose and Maggie had ever encountered. During the meal, Rose related the events of the morning's interview and promised to share the offer details as appropriate once they returned to Alan's home. Alan paid for the meal and left a nice 25% gratuity for the serving staff, and they departed. Alan rode with Rose so they could have some quiet time between the two of them.

"Alan, this new position is going nearly to double my pay. That's very exciting! And the ancillary benefits are nice as well. But the responsibility is huge! I don't know if I'm truly up for that kind of challenge."

Rose was beginning to look very insecure, and it was not a good look on her.

"Honey, let's just take this one day at a time. When do you owe an answer back about the job offer?"

"Monday, but I'd be quite surprised if Mary and Maeve don't try to discuss this with me tomorrow at church."

"Rose, dear, this is your decision. You need to do what is best and right for you and for Maggie and for Julie."

"But what is best for us, Alan? I'm overwhelmed by all this. You know that saying, 'Be careful what you wish for; you just might get it.' I need your input and opinion, Alan."

"Ok, Rose. Let's go home and put pencil to paper and try to list out points of discussion and concern, pros and cons if you will, and try to take emotion out of the equation." Alan held out his left hand and Rose grasped it with her right for the remainder of the drive back to Alan's house.